Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

QUAKE 4 custom Models

Replies

• Slash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slash polycounter lvl 19
    1100? wow.. is that with out without head? I should load up one of the q4 models and have a looksee.. I might even pick up a few tips. my model is around 3500 now.. frown.gif you think thats way too much? I've loaded a 7k poly model into doom3 before, and it worked fine. But thats just a static model tho.

//edit: i kind of agree with cheap on the goatee. I was never in the military, but as far as i know facial hair isnt allowed. But i might be wrong. Design-wise i dont think it suits the character, it makes him look too young for my taste.
  • Zatoichi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zatoichi polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    :P good to hear(in its own way). So you want to do orb instead?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, you go for it! I like to practice with chicks... keeps me interested through the difficult bits. wink.gif

To get a good idea what I think Sarge should look like... rent "Running Man". Ah-nold with that beard in the beginning. Sarge dead on.

The others I would like to concept would be Sorlag, Klesk and Tank Jr. They would make for some nice 'bumpmappy' figures. But anyone else PLEASE feel free to do any of them. Don't let me stop you!!!

I think Sorlag would benifit from the upgrade. He was just too low-poly to look good, but his animation was genius. I loved watching him crouch while fighting... so funny yet cool looking! He reminded me of a 'Skeksis' from "The Dark Crystal".

Klesk is a no-brainer. I have a feeling we will be seeing one of him soon. His animation did remind me of 'Stripe' from "Gremlins" tho. Kind of comical.

Tank Jr. was a great design IMHO. He was quite scary when comming at you. His original texture is very cool and I would love to see his face done pretty much exactly the same way, with more detail given the body.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Coo thanks man. I'll see about building him soon.
    from the quake 4 sdk art referance
    "For the low poly, our creatures ranged from 500 polys on some of the lower range creatures on up to 5000 to 6000 polys for some of the bosses"

sounds like ut2k4 model specs should work fine for the Low poly characters. Also looks like ID and The quake 4 dev's need to be added to the "Studios that use Lightwave" list. laugh.gif
  • Slash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slash polycounter lvl 19
    slash_wip7.jpg

Lol, i know, it looks horrible. I just wanted to give a heads up on my progress, i'm done unwrapping all parts that are supposed to have symmetrical uv's. Now if only zbrush would cooperate with me...
  • Chunkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chunkey polycounter lvl 19
    Looking very promising Slash laugh.gif are you planning to use the original character's texture or is this just placeholder art?

Depending on what I'm doing this weekend, I would like to call Dibs on Patriot, should have a concept up once I've finished work and got my creative juices flowing smile.gif
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    I signed up just to be part of this movement, excellent idea Zatoichi. I'll be doing Xaero smile.gif I'm not deviating much from the original concept, unless someone has some good ideas. I'll post an update soon.

p_xaeroSmall.jpg
  • diZzyWalnut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    diZzyWalnut polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Q4's player models usually are around 1100 triangles themselves.

also personally I think sarge's beard is dumb. I didn't know we were fighting against colonel sanders

[/ QUOTE ]

Just for fun and to learn - I've taken out the original body of space marine from Q4 and with my head of J.Reno the hole model has got 2090 polys tris
    jeanreno_quake4.jpg
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Slash: are you planning to normal map a high poly mesh to a low, or are you simply creating one mid poly mesh? Only asking because I see you have a texture started.
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    I'm almost finished with Xaero's head. Any crits before I start with the rest of the body?

Xaero_Front.jpg

• Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Id say change up that cyber implant a bit. I never got the whole self prodding scorpion tail as being anything but a nusiance.
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    Vailias: I agree, i've been avoiding the tail thing because I had no idea what it was, my best guess was a portable anal probe smile.gif.
  • lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lkraan polycounter lvl 18
    I am going to try to get this model working in Q4...
    She still needs some hair but that's on the way and I still want to work hands, boobs and a normal map flaw on the legs.

I could have maybe used some less polys here and there but so far she's a about 3000 polys so I doubt that this will be a problem for Q4.

deunan-wip12a.jpg

And the back...
    http://www.xs4all.nl/~tetsuo/wip/deunan-wip12b.jpg
  • EvilEngine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EvilEngine polycounter lvl 18
    I would love to model Orb from that concept drawing after I am done with my skaarj stuff I'm doing for Ut2007.
    Would make an interesting character, something very different from what I'm used to.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    all id soft need to do, for a q4 sarge, is rip a normal map from the intro video of q3
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Anyone have the Gorre model, or happen to know where I can Dl it? I'd like to see it in 3d if I could before I concept.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    Dfacto - Gorre = Visor reskinned. Look for visor!
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I got the model, but it didn't work in an md3 model viewer I dled, but whatever. Here's a WIP. wanted to see what people think.

Gorre1.jpg

The idea was something along the lines of: You kicked Gorre's ass so bad that he needed reconstructive surgery. He got new legs, his hand and much of his chest had to be reattached and his visor was blow off, so he got a new half-visor, revealing the wreck of a face that was previously hidden. Yadda yadda yadda.

I discussed it with Marine in the IRC chat already, but I didn't want him beefy like the original model because the beef in that seemed to come from useless shoulder pads, a huge cancerous mass on each side of his chest that I can only assume was supposed to be muscle, and the fact that his arms are short as hell. I figure that the original would look normal if those things were corrected.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    honestly I don't like it much. I think the re-design takes too much away from the original character. Technically the drawing is great, I think it suffers the same way as Zat's first concept for slash.
  • Zatoichi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like it, but looks like it could use some refining. Maybe leave out the 'eye' lenses to keep closer to the original character and give him one leg that's still in normal condition.
  • Zatoichi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BTW, people have been asking if it's ok to do models based on my concepts. I'd just like to say that if any of you would like to give my versions of Orbb or Slash a go, be my guest. I don't have a problem if you decide to do so. Just make shure to give me (aopaul) credit if you use it in anything...and of course the ID guys wink.gif .
    I will be posting some more concepts soon.
  • Kraftwerk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kraftwerk polycounter lvl 19
    Great thread i hope to see some nice ppm's for Quake 4, this stuff is quite rare lately, sadly.... Im trying to get a ppm in Far Cry atm since this game lack ppm's too, if it fails i give Quake 4 a try.
    And Zatoichi great concepts do some more smile.gif
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I like it personally so I'll finish it up for myself, but if nobody likes it after it's done then I'll do another, more classic, redesign.

And Zat, I think I will try to make one of his legs like the original. Could turn out pretty cool.

Slightly updated pic: Gorre2-2.jpg
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you mention that he had to be rebuild and so on.

however, take a closer look at the quake3 story... this is the very idea behind being able to get fragged and spawned in the game, players are rebuilt when they die for an ongoing death arena to please the gods. Players are immortal, and each one stolen from thier own relm of existance in time and space because of their unique skills.

this is exactly what you see in the intro when sarge gets teleported away from that battle.

So to augment him due to injury is contrary to the very core of the quake3 story.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't subscribe to your so called "continuity" heretic!

j/k laugh.gif

Well, you're absolutely right, but I wanted an excuse to make something new, rather than just drawing the same old beefcake cyborg again. No fun in doing a redesign if you can't actually redesign. :P

Also, it should be noted that I never played q3...
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the coolest thing for me in quake 3 was to swap in new heads, can this be done in quake 4?
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    how dare you mess with the towering work of literary fiction that is the Quake III plot!
    great concept man I like the linework smile.gif
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    the coolest thing for me in quake 3 was to swap in new heads, can this be done in quake 4?

[/ QUOTE ]

no
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    I think the re-design looks awesome dude. I liked Quake 3 but the detail for re-models is just so low you cant re-make them without changing a few things. You captured him perfectly in what he would look like now. TBH when i first saw it, the first thing i thought was "Gore/Visor rip off" and then read on, to find it is actually him anyway.

Fantastic work and i for one look forward to seeing him evolve more.
  • Zatoichi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LOL, Rooster! Brilliant.

Loving the detail in that, dfacto!

if anyones interested, I colored in my version of Slash and have a side-by side comparison. Will start to work on her after tomorrow.

http://www.deviantart.com/view/27416560/
  • Zatoichi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, and just to get 'geeky' with the argument of players being rebuilt after each frag, then wouldn't the gashes, tears, injurys... (Even an alternate skin for Slash was a burned crisp version) be healed entirely? They would be 'fresh'. Wouldn't the technology give Cadaver back his life? (or at lest patch up the hanging entrails?) *ponders the deep implications*
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    When you look at these updated characters, you want to recognize them. I don't see Gorre in that image. You've taken away his cool face mask, and he's no longer heavy looking. And that hair do on Sarge is ridiculous. It's easier to call them originals. It's like giving Sarge breasts because he decided to become a women after the last game. And Lucy decided to lose some weight.
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    When you look at these updated characters, you want to recognize them. I don't see Gorre in that image. You've taken away his cool face mask, and he's no longer heavy looking. And that hair do on Sarge is ridiculous. It's easier to call them originals. It's like giving Sarge breasts because he decided to become a women after the last game. And Lucy decided to lose some weight.

[/ QUOTE ]

BAAAHHH!!! That’s right I skoff at what you say sir! smile.gif

These look great. I immediately thought it was visor/gore when I saw it. Also keep in mind the limitations they had on Q3. If they had the polygons and texture sizes to spend how would they look? Hell most of them had to share the same geometry and where simple re-skins.

- BoBo
  • steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    i really like urs dfacto!

tankjr4pu.jpg

its not a redesign but its a start, I got dibs on tank jr! confused.gif
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    couldn't resist!
    ranger.jpg
  • Crylar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crylar polycounter lvl 18
    Wow!
    The Tank jr sketch looks awesome, and the umm visor like design looks cool too. I hope to see many of these concepts modeled and ingame
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    am I going nuts or has a post dissapeared?
  • ultra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ultra polycounter lvl 18
    Zatoichi: very nice idea. I desire that the oldschool come and participate aswell, would be fantastic!

ultra.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orb_WIP_109.jpg

orb in progress. Progress is slow... damn real life
  • DH_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DH_ polycounter lvl 18
    klesk_sketch.jpg

didn't really mess with the design much as it was my favorite character in q3. Have to see if I can get myself motivated to model something now.
  • Slash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slash polycounter lvl 19
    man, that klesk is awesome! Im not sure about the vagina tho. :P haha!
  • PeteJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeteJ polycounter lvl 18
    page8.jpg

i also did a klesk but didnt post as i knew somebody like DH would have pnwed it :P
    nice take on it dh, also my fave character.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Vailias: Wouldn't it be better to make the hipoly first?
  • animeboyz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    animeboyz polycounter lvl 17
    EDIT: ... great I copmletely missed the point of this thread ... you guys are REMAKING characters?? .. crap, is it ok if we make some NEW ones?

Me and a Friend are in the same animation class, and we're thinking of convincing our animation teacher to let us make our respective characters and the animation cycles for them.

I just picked up Quake 4 (awesome awesome game) and we're going to try to learn ZBrush and work our BUTTS off this semester ..... seeing how we're both seniors and we seem somewhat behind in our portfolios :-(

Here's what I'm thinkin gabout doing:

Creepy.jpg
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    Nice sketch/character animeboyz! The point of the thread is to create custom models for Quake 4, you don't necessarily have to redesign the old ones as far as I understand, so go ahead!
  • animeboyz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    animeboyz polycounter lvl 17
    ok! Cool, just felt kind of like an ass.

found this cool link today:
    http://www.iddevnet.com/quake4

Not sure if it's been linked but it tells a lot of information on all the importing, it was on the PlanetQuake forums. Lots of cool information on the texture maps the Doom3 engine uses.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We can make our own? Well damn...
  • ultra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ultra polycounter lvl 18
    I think the idea of this thread is to redesign the Quake3 original models. Is what it becomes it interesting.

ultra.
  • Chunkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chunkey polycounter lvl 19
    patriot15jy.th.jpgpatriot23re.th.jpg

There's some amazing concepts here, thought I'd show some doodles I've been doing just to work out what I'm going to be doing- I did start another pic purely with the wacom but good ol pen and paper seems to be supreme at this stage smile.gif

Not actually done much drawing over last few years so please excuse the rustiness, hopefully as I get back into the swing of things, they'll improve smile.gif
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR: Theoretically yes, however so long as you plan your meshes properly then it won't be an issue wether you build the low poly around the high poly or the high poly inside the low poly. The idea of doing high poly first is for situations where the high poly modeler and low poly modeler are not the same person.

That and I won't be able to afford z brush till sometime next month, and I don't have the time/patience to do it the old fashioned way.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I DARE YOU TO RECONCEPT BONES