• Slash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slash polycounter lvl 19
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    awesome work pior, it is an unmistakeable likeness so far, but with a touch of pior-sauce smile.gif

here's Sorlag somewhat recast as more Skeksis-like, generally more cowardly but with less of a tiny dinosaur head and more lizard-y overall:

gauss_sorlag.jpg
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Looking nice Gauss, Perhaps you could give her a little bit more of a feminine look.

EDIT:Feminine in the costume at least. I don't think lizard boobs are really necessary...
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Upper torso and flagbandana : check

pior_patriot_wip005.jpg

I had a better version of the bandana but lost it all in a crash. Haha!
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    you should make it be tied in the back, otherwise it looks like the smurf hat. here, i'll steal this from your own hosting:

biopior.jpg
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    i think pior is confusing his head geometry with bitterman
  • Slash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slash polycounter lvl 19
    Oh man.. have you ever tried modeling a knot? That shit is heavy...

I agree tho, it does have a certain smurf quality to it, but it has to be the most pimpin' papa smurf on the street. wink.gif
  • Crylar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crylar polycounter lvl 18
    the Razor model and the Bitterman model is just the same, only animated different. Yes you can take the bitterman skin and aply it on the Razor model and it will fit, you will miss like a bag on the belt wich Bitterman has and it will miss texture for a knife that the Razor model has. c'mon, gamers should know this stuff.
    In other words, If he is makeing the head like the Bitterman model it's allright, cause the Razor model (Wich is teh model the Patriot skin in applied on) has a head in the exact same shape.
    Then again there can allways be improvments, a not would be in it's place. But ther is surtenetly nothing wrong with doing it as it was in teh original.
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    I like the smurf hat vibe better and yes its yummy work as usual Pior.
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Haha well yeah Bitterman, Razor and Pat are all close cousins laugh.gif

Anyways, I'm moving all my Patriotism to it's own thread as I don't want to hijack that one too much.

Keep the Q4ers coming!
  • Slash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slash polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    the Razor model and the Bitterman model is just the same, only animated different. Yes you can take the bitterman skin and aply it on the Razor model and it will fit, you will miss like a bag on the belt wich Bitterman has and it will miss texture for a knife that the Razor model has. c'mon, gamers should know this stuff.
    In other words, If he is makeing the head like the Bitterman model it's allright, cause the Razor model (Wich is teh model the Patriot skin in applied on) has a head in the exact same shape.
    Then again there can allways be improvments, a not would be in it's place. But ther is surtenetly nothing wrong with doing it as it was in teh original.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think everyone here knows that, but the original was that way because of limitations. Why carry over this to the remake? But i'm sure it will look smoking with a flag texture, so i'm not gonna bitch anymore about it. Pior knows his stuff.
  • Zatoichi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zatoichi polycounter lvl 18
    OK, off topic a bit: I'm getting a handle on Zbrush right now and practicing creating 'Hellboy'(Work In Progress) based more on the comic than the movie. When this is finished, I feel I will be better suited to take on Slash.

HboyWIP.jpg

I'm shure those out there with alot of Zbush experience see alot of problems, but I'm just starting to learn it. confused.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Spent a couple of hours messing around in ZBrush tonight, here's what I got:

sorlag-wip1.jpg
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    sweet zatoichi and mop! ere, how did you do the eyeballs? just model a hole and stick em in after in max? I'm finding it a tricky area in human faces, I usually model around a sphere, which I don't get how to do in zb. Markers?
  • Slash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slash polycounter lvl 19
    You could try making an iflate dot as an eye and sculpt the eyelid over that. Or you could make the eye in projection master.

Mop: that looks sweet, i only have one crit, and that is that she looks too gentle and kind right now. Make her more menacing!
  • Zatoichi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heh, that is the one area that wasnt clear on the original Sorlag model... were those pointy things comming from the chin or large teeth. I decided to make them more 'T-rex' looking teeth, but this looks just as sweet. Just a critique IMHO, I would emphasize the cheekbones, eyebrow bone and the bony crest more.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Good crits all, stoofoo said much the same to me in IRC last night - a problem with me in ZBrush is that I get lazy and want to finish the mesh fast, so after large-detail sculpting, I just go crazy in projection master and call it done, entirely skipping the mid-level detail step tongue.gif

Rooster: The eyes there were just sculpted using the Std, Smooth and Pinch tools.

Slash: Good point on the "more menacing" thing, I'm working on it smile.gif
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Heh, that is the one area that wasnt clear on the original Sorlag model... were those pointy things comming from the chin or large teeth

[/ QUOTE ]Given that they're not on Hunter's Sorlag skull helm, it seems likely that they're chin spikes.
  • ZAR - FALKBEER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZAR - FALKBEER polycounter lvl 18
    Amazing models, can some of you are interested to remodel the Quake 2 models, the Team Blur is making a mod that allow hig polygon models and other stuff like Q4, I make concepts but this are awesome, please visit www.quake2evolved.com, searc in forums and please model something for this project!
  • Zatoichi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's an interesting discovery (found this on an old polycount thread), this is Hunter being redone by a "MR||06" way back in 2000.

http://mr2k.3dvf.net/frameset.htm

Look in "Archives" at the bottom you will see HUNTER

Its all in french, and I dont know if he even finished it? Does the artist lurk in this forum? His site says he is working at ATTITUDE Studio, S
  • Zatoichi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, and not wanting to "Jack" anyone else's thread (since I started this one) there is a nice write-up about how the "HELLCHICK" that is currently being made in 3+ threads came to be, written by the "Hellchick" herself over at:
    http://www.hellchick.net/mtlog/archives/000058.shtml
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    f01.jpg
    Lucy is coming along quite well. Still a long, long way to go yet.
  • Steakhouse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steakhouse polycounter lvl 18
  • Chunkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chunkey polycounter lvl 19
    yes? :P

Looking sweet so far Jackablade, once you've smoothed out the lumpiness of the lines on the model, I reckon she'll look bang on smile.gif

I see a bit of Cathy "Waynetta Slobb" Burke in the face laugh.gif

slobs-s.JPG
    slob2.gif
  • nealb4me
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nealb4me polycounter lvl 18
    She just needs a bucket o' beef under her arm to snack on while rocket jumping ;P
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heh. I'll see what I can do, but she'll have to wait until this CGChat incursion is dealt with.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I noticed you have a lot of 'bobbles' in your model. When you are paiting in zbrush, try and bump up the mouse average or even drop in to projection master and use the deco brush .
    I think you need some sharper edges too. perhaps try and reimport the your base model in to the loweest level , that helps quite bit in my experience. kind of pushes the details out a bit
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm still early in development so theres not much refinement in the way of hard edges yet. How can you reimport a mesh without losing all the higher levels of detail?
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    you can reimport the base level mesh from max, just make sure its an edit poly mesh
    So yeah make some changes in max to the base model, go back to the base level in zbrush, then reimport the base mesh from max.

the changes will follow through the subdivision levels
  • Delaney King
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Delaney King polycounter lvl 18
    I wondered how hard it was to do one just in zbrush. Its actually really good for a few things!

Heres a crash / phobos wip. Not sure if I will get time to finish this experiment.

dkcrashq4_full.jpg

dkcrashq4_bwl.jpg
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    you're mad, dave, maaaad!
    Looks pretty good but still got that zbrush lumpiness to it, i'm pretty sure the majority of hard surfaces done outside of zbrush usually results in a better look... but hey, worth an experiment smile.gif
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    fookin eck, you're making a fair go of it.. great so far. I kinda agree with mop about making tech outside zb, but on the other hand you're pretty handy with the ol zbrush and I reckon if you kept going with it, and a bit of pinching in the right places you'll shake off them lumps for sure
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    Looks great! My only prob is the hip - shoulder proportion. Doesn't look very feminine at all... but the detailing is coming along nicely!
  • Zatoichi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For some reason, Crash's legs look waaaay out of proportion with the rest of the body.

"Pinch" and "Smooth"... pinch and smooth is what I have been doing alot of in Zbrush to get harder edges. I just wish there were a slider for "Smooth" intensity. Right now I keep having to change polycount to intensify/detensify its power.

hellboyWIP.jpg
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    I just recieved a mail from raven regarding ppms questions I had, they told me that the menu selection thing will be fixed in the next patch, and it seems they are aware of that thread and looking forward to the models.

they may also post something here once the issue will be fixed.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    I just recieved a mail from raven regarding ppms questions I had, they told me that the menu selection thing will be fixed in the next patch, and it seems they are aware of that thread and looking forward to the models.

they may also post something here once the issue will be fixed.

[/ QUOTE ]

EXCELLENT !!!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Zatoichi: There is a slider for Smooth intensity. Click on the Smooth brush (don't just press Shift), and change the Intensity slider at the top right. Then switch back to Std brush, and whenever you hold down Shift and paint it should use the intensity you've set before.

Vahl: Great news! smile.gif
  • BRUTICUS(CW)
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BRUTICUS(CW) polycounter lvl 18
    here's a weapon i started blocking out that I wanna put into Q4, anyone recognize it?
    rl.jpg
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Q2 rocket launcher of course! Cool smile.gif
  • BRUTICUS(CW)
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BRUTICUS(CW) polycounter lvl 18
    yep! I really miss that feeling of weight that the bulk of the Q2 RL gave. After I finish this project i'm working on right now i'll finish this one up. Then hopefully onto some character work!
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Just a personal opinion. Even tho Lucy was a BIG woman, she was also a badass. She was a prison guard who crossed the line and ended up fighting for survival. This Lucy looks more like an old obese crackwhore who can barely fight gravity.
  • Zatoichi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, MoP. Intensity slider... top right... where? What is the exact term for the slider? All I see is the "Edit Curve" below it. No slider popped up. Do you mean "Z Intensity"?

EDIT: Waitaminute... I just figured it out. It IS "Z intensity", right? Saves each transformer's Z intensity settings. Ahhh. For some reason pressing Shift dosn't load it's setting.

LOL! That's a good tip. Pressing shift w/o setting the "Smooth" tool first will leave it at it's default full "100" intensity setting!!! Freakin Gnomon Zbrush DVD didn't state that.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Sorry, yes, Zatoichi, I meant the Z Intensity slider.
  • Delaney King
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Delaney King polycounter lvl 18
    RE: Crash in z.
    Thanks guys, it was a fun test. Yep, I really would do all the hard edged stuff in max if I where you... loooots of polishing and smoothing and pinching to do basic stuff. I may just rip some parts out and finish her in max later. Right now I am tinkering with the Strogg gunner from quake 2 (remember the mohawk guy). He is 90% max and a little z. I was thinking if you build a hard model and bring it to z, then apply divide with smooth off a couple of times you get a hard edged surface which you can then paint organics on. It works ok. Good for small peices like this lasses legs.
  • KungFuSquirrel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KungFuSquirrel polycounter lvl 18
    Hey guys,

As promised, with the release of the 1.1 beta patch, here's the info on how to get your player models set up to show up in the model browser: http://www.iddevnet.com/quake4/ArtReference_playerModels

Long story short, player models are now their own entityDef type (playerModel) and are all loaded into the selection menu on load. There's also a small change to setting up models with interchangeable heads, but it's easily taken care of. (This does assume you're familiar with the process of setting up a D3/Q4 model in the first place).

Also, using the addon pack setup (http://zerowing.idsoftware.com/linux/doom/AddonPaks), player models should also be able to be included as server-side downloads and be spread to players that way.

Anyway, been really cool browsing this thread (and the other side threads) seeing what you guys are coming up with... there's some really great stuff here. Hope to see them in-game soon!

if anything's not clear, you're welcome to contact me directly or shoot a mail to our q4editing@ravensoft.com address
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Excellent, thanks! We appreciate it smile.gif
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks a lot !! smile.gif
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    I just tested, everything seems to be working perfectly, and this is very easy to set up, thanks again smile.gif
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Cool. Looks like Q4 just got a much needed tune up.