Home Quixel Megascans

Quixel releases Megascans!

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Synaesthesia polycounter

Hey guys!
Today is finally here! We've launched Megascans! :D Plus Megascans Studio and Megascans Bridge for Windows and OSX, a standalone toolset for customizing, blending and exporting scans. From all of us at Quixel, a HUGE thank you for your support. As you guys know, we've got deep roots here at Polycount - this is a fantastic community that's helped push our toolset to the next level. That said, we present you with...

MEGASCANS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnSekpFSLnU

Megascans is a massive online library of standardized and physically based surface, vegetation and 3D scans. The first beta wave unlocks a substantial part of the Megascans natural library (as recently showcased in Disney’s The Jungle Book), with more waves coming during the course of the beta, including organic and hard-surface scans.
For more on the new tools, jump over to: https://megascans.se/megascans-is-released

Please let us know what you think! We're thrilled to have the opportunity to share these tools with you.

Replies

• Maximum-Dev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I didn't say the price is high. I said the points are low. At least 60 starting points of Indie Team license which is designed for up to 10 artists is too low compared to freelancer which is 50 points for 1 person. Sure we can top-up. I just meant 60 runs out in first few days of month for an indie team.
  • Steppenwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steppenwolf polycounter lvl 15
    It's an interesting problem of perception. The indie license is considerably cheaper per artist then freelance license if you make full use of it. Downside is each artist only has access to the same asset pool. Not sure how else they could balance it without making the monthly fee much more expensive, which would defeat the purpose of an indie license.
  • philwinkel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    philwinkel polycounter lvl 4
    Hey Quixel, incredible scanning tech you have created. I have spent the last 2 days going thru surfaces, using the Megascans website, as well as the Megascans bridge - I have some feedback:

Megascans general feedback
    • Would love to see more variety, other than  soil / mud / clay / concrete. In particular - pavement, sidewalks, wood surfaces, etc.
    • Scan some walls! (is the scanner capable of doing that?)
    • Search filters for assets I have purchased, assets I have not purchased
    • Give me the ability to download both specular and roughness maps if I want. (I know this isn't a common use-case, but i wanted to compare quality between specular and metallic shaders)
    • I would love notifications on the website when new Megascans assets are added to the library. 
    • Pricing: Freelancer 4K pricing seems about right. The other options don't seem very good. 

• Way too difficult to search, the tag system doesn't work very well, and if everyone is able to add tags it's going to get messy
    • Hard javascript errors - I could not get anything to download in chrome. I was getting some javascript error because "planId" was undefined or something. I had to use Microsoft Edge :(
    • Get rid of infinite scrolling, would prefer pages of results. 
    • Show the megascans texture ID   (6 digit thing) on the surface detail page,  lots of the textures look very similar and its hard to identify which ones are which

Megascans Bridge:
    • Show both megascans in my local library that I have downloaded, as well as megascans that are available online. 
    • Download megascans thru the bridge.
    • Zip import is an awesome time-saving feature when it works, but right now it doesnt seem very optimized. I downloaded a bunch of surfaces, and the bridge can't seem to handle the import. 
    • When the bridge is importing zips, make that an asynchronous operation so the user interface doesn't lock up...

Megascans Studio:
    • what is this thing?
    • what are the plans for this thing?
    • it would take some serious innovation to pry my fanboy fingers from substance, I am looking forward to said innovation :)
    edit: little bit too blunt

That's what i have for now. Thanks Quixel for all your hard work on Megascans! I hope to see more assets in the near future :)
  • philwinkel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh i also have a side question - if you buy one of the "packs" , do those assets get added to your megascans library? Can i download those assets again, or is it a one time download?  

I was really struggling with whether I should buy a pack, or just buy the points. Because right now it's not clear how the packs work. 
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Hi - I can confirm that the email regarding the trial and the 50 points went through.
    A few notes :

• Overall everything seems solid and works very well, especially for a beta. Some elements of Studio are a bit slow (color picker, layer operations, and so on) but this will without a doubt improve over time so no big problem here.

• MSStudio features a great realtime 3d viewport ... and MSBridge needs the same. Assets should be easily viewable in 3d within these tools, and eventually the website should have Marmoset Viewer or Sketchfab previews for everything too.

• The HDR maps used in Studio need to be easily accessible for the user to use them in their rendering environment of choice. Ideally you guys should also provide a reference *.tbscene, a UE4 project and map, a Keyshot scene, and so on. The settings used to generate the preview balls and screenshots also need to be easily accessible somewhere. We need to be able to download the 3d ball that you guys are using for previews too. These resources could be all centralized on a "tech details" page on the website.

• The link between Studio and Bridge should be as fluid as possible. Ideally, exporting the result of a Studio blend to Bridge should be a one click operation and vice versa. As matter of fact the two programs could probably be merged into one...

• When exporting from Studio to Marmoset as metal+roughness, the resulting .tbmat is looking for all the proper map inputs but when trying it out for Soil Clay a metalness map was not generated. Meaning that Toolbag ignored the missing map, and reverted to reading the metalness value from the slider (1.0). All that to say that once in Toolbag, a material that should have been non metallic ended up as fully metallic.

• Can Studio still be used after one's subscription expires ?

• What is the point of the Render vs Realtime switch when downloading an asset ? Since everything is standardized there should be no need to chose either or.

• I am glad to see that creating one's own "Megascan" (Zip with textures and description file) is pretty straightforward, since the description file is easy to edit. Always good to see open formats like that, as it benefits everybody !
      http://i.imgur.com/WQSeY80.jpg

• The UE4 HDR in Studio probably has an incorrect mid point as it appears to be blown out. I think this was already an issue with Quixel/3Do. On a related note, Studio should have the option to *not* show the background as blurred.

• Overall ... the weakest link of the experience is definitely the Megascans website itself. The oversized preview images, the seemingly infinitely scrolling pages gradually populating and the confusing headers/buttons get annoying very, very fast. Just give us simple html pages (without fancy parallax effects, layers and big buttons), with a straightforward way to select a category and filter content,  and the choice to display 25/50/100 assets per page.

I hope this helps !
  • Steppenwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Megascans Studio:
    • Sorry guys, Substance Designer already does this way better. I fail to see where you plan on going with this? Would someone care to share the vision for this product?
    As someone who loves and uses Substance Designer daily: Megascans Studio is incredibly fast and painless. Trying to height blend and tweak even only two materials in SD at 4k resolution feels super laggy on my PC in comparison. Granted Studio is super lightweight and hasn't many options at the moment but if Quixel can maintain the performance once thers more options i can see myself using it quite a bit, even for blending Substances. In general it's my opinion that the products from Quixel and Allegorithmic can compliment each other quite well.
  • philwinkel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As someone who loves and uses Substance Designer daily: Megascans Studio is incredibly fast and painless. Trying to height blend and tweak even only two materials in SD at 4k resolution feels super laggy on my PC in comparison. Granted Studio is super lightweight and hasn't many options at the moment but if Quixel can maintain the performance once thers more options i can see myself using it quite a bit, even for blending Substances. In general it's my opinion that the products from Quixel and Allegorithmic can compliment each other quite well.

yeah well I mean as far as I can tell its just for compositing megascans textures, blending them together and stuff? I mean the water features etc are cool. I'm just curious where they are going with Megascans Studio, seeing as they already have the quixel suite and stuff. 

my initial impression is the studio is fun to play around with, but still obviously a beta. I apologize my original wording was kind of blunt, I wasn't implying there is a lack of vision, i'm just honestly curious to hear the vision. Right now its fun to play around with but i dont see any reason to stop using my current tools i guess.

Megascans is a game changer, maybe i'm not seeing it with the studio. Is it supposed to be a utility for the sole purpose of compositing megascans, or is this some new texturing thing that will solve all my texturing needs? It's a beta so i'm not trying to complain, i'm just giving some honest feedback. 

I agree SD is only as good as the machine you're working on.  
  • Treidge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Treidge polycounter lvl 11
    I was curious to see what level of details could be achieved with Megascans, so I've snatched the free Mud sample in 8k resolution and rendered it with iRay as a 15360x15360 image. Here's the preview and Dropbox link to compressed JPEG in original resolution for anyone interested. Be aware - it's still 55 MegaBytes, though. BTW, original PNG is 807 MB. O.o

15360x15360 JPEG (55 MB): https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/30348037/mud_15k.jpg

• Steppenwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

yeah well I mean as far as I can tell its just for compositing megascans textures, blending them together and stuff? I mean the water features etc are cool. I'm just curious where they are going with Megascans Studio, seeing as they already have the quixel suite and stuff. 

my initial impression is the studio is fun to play around with, but still obviously a beta. I apologize my original wording was kind of blunt, I wasn't implying there is a lack of vision, i'm just honestly curious to hear the vision. Right now its fun to play around with but i dont see any reason to stop using my current tools i guess.

Megascans is a game changer, maybe i'm not seeing it with the studio. Is it supposed to be a utility for the sole purpose of compositing megascans, or is this some new texturing thing that will solve all my texturing needs? It's a beta so i'm not trying to complain, i'm just giving some honest feedback. 

I agree SD is only as good as the machine you're working on.  
    I suspect Studio will become more a competition of Substance Painter then Designer. Painter will get composition tools for photogrammetry surfaces and its own huge library of scans. Allegorithmic demoed it at thir keynote speech not long ago. Composition tools for photogrammetry will play a big role in the future imo but i wouldn't think of it as allround texturing solution.
  • theironpaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theironpaw polycounter lvl 7
    I have a suggestion for the website. 

1. It would be nice to view what you have purchased on the website in a library rather than just a List.
      (With thumbnails etc so you can visually view what we have already purchased with the points)
    2. Ability to filter out already purchased results when searching. 
    3. Have an option to toggle page view rather than forever scrolling page. It makes it overwhelming to find exactly what you want.
    4. Have a notification confirming that you might have missed 'X' when downloading a package. (it wasn't very apparent that I missed the Ztools for 3d models etc). 
    5. Have an option to download both Real time and Offline rendering. 
    Other than that, Love your tool Quixel your hard work has paid off. Hopefully this feedback helps. 
  • NickBack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NickBack polycounter lvl 8
    Some Feedback

1. Library seems to have an overabundance of nature materials (I guess Jungle Book influenced things a little here :) ), which is great if that's what you want, but there seems there's little of anything else? Wood? Bricks? Metals?

2. Freelancer price is great, but Indie price is not amazing. I'd argue it's pretty bad actually. First of all, it's very expensive for tiny studios (I am the only artist at my studio so the up to 10 artists thing seems like overkill) and second, a meager 10 point increase for 4+ times the price seems like a pretty small bump.

3. 2x2 and 4x4 (which are coming from what I gather) costing more points is a little... weird? Why does covering more area result in more points? I just want 4k or 2k maps I can actually use in games, not sure why the real world attributes of the materials affect the price so dramatically.

4. Which brings me back to the pricing issue. Considering that the actual useful materials are those that are 2x2 and upwards, means that 125$ per month, I'll be able to get less than 30 materials per months. Which is not that great value wise.
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    The very bottom of Megascans.se has our release waves. :)

1st Wave
    Jungle, Rainforest, Desert & Wasteland Biomes

2nd Wave
    Nordic Biome, Australian Lava Ecosystem, 3D Trees & Foliage

3rd Wave
    Fabric, Brick, Tile & Wood Surface Scans

4th Wave
    Metal, Plastic & Rubber Surface Scans

I can't give any ETA on the other waves, but we're steadily working toward processing all of the scans we have and preparing them for the public.
  • Cathodeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cathodeus polycounter lvl 14
    Hello,

I have used my Megascan trial in order to try to beat our current pipeline with some Megascan textures.

And the result was disapointing. [No worries the service is good but i will explain why i decide to stick with my old pipeline].

So Why Megascan was disapointing ?

-Because we create 16m*16m textures, and if we want to achieve such big texture we need at least 8m*8m inside one texture. [Cuurently i can find 1m texture, or 2m ... really not enough]

-The megascans textures are good quality no doubt. But currently it can't beat my workflow because of size limitations of the scans. [Shooting lot of photos and photomerging them is still easier].

-I need also some function into 'Studio' that will help me to create masks [not just based on height and blending between two materials]. --> i need more classical mask ala photoshop [procedural or handpainted]. Currently i edited everything inside substance because i needed more control.

-We need a function that will blend some piece of scan if we change the target size. Currently the same piece is repeated ... This is the most disapointing point. We need more shoot of the same surface.

-I like to see the material as a ball but i prefer being able to watch the textures themselve in 2d before buying them. [currently it's in perspective --> Pretty but usless from a pure technical point]. And there some shadow sometime on those renders ...

-We need a real naming convention with number as well because currently all concrete are called concrete construction ... Just adding 01, 02, 03 could have helped me to find faster the textures for tweaking.

My conclusion is that --> Current Megascans can be used for small piece of floors , or decals but not for large tilling surface. [seen from plane, or flying cars haha].

The future is bright. Lot of work have been done, and lot still need to be done.

Thanks quixel, now i want you to make all my points false with next release.

Massimo

• bigbrainz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neither of the studio pricing options will work for us. We're a company not a game studio, so we have a critical, but small need for this product. I doubt we could even use 50 points, let alone 500. But your product is GENIUS and would REALLY help us out.

Management will just laugh their heads off at the Studio Lite pricing. Please help me give you my money =)!!

Thanks!!
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Reach out to our business developer Eric Ramberg via eric @ quixel . se and he can talk to you about custom pricing. :)
  • philwinkel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I suspect Studio will become more a competition of Substance Painter then Designer. Painter will get composition tools for photogrammetry surfaces and its own huge library of scans. Allegorithmic demoed it at thir keynote speech not long ago. Composition tools for photogrammetry will play a big role in the future imo but i wouldn't think of it as allround texturing solution.
    I found an answer to this question on the facebook support group,

now I'm really curious about those other planned features :awesome:

• Trinity92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Trinity92 null
    damn, this is the future! awesome quality =)
  • Heath
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heath null
    Wow, been waiting for this release forever it seems like.

For anyone interested, I dragged a couple of the free assets into max and rendered them out with Octane.

I went ahead with a membership, and am working on a bigger scene now.  I'll throw it up when I'm finished.  This image is just the free rock, one of the free muds, and a whole bunch of depth-of-field for the hell of it.

• martinkrol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    martinkrol null
    loggie24 said:
    Think about it like this, you'll just end up making things that are that much better than what they were before!
    But where is the originality? If  everyone is using the same source things can get stale and in the end we will have so many "awesome" scenes that no one cares because it's "the norm". That's my main problem with this, but i can't stop evolution..
    Are you bored of photographs because you seen have real rocks already? You find good photos interesting because of the lighting, composition etc.  Also, a lot of these elements are there to aid you to get there faster. The higher fidelity images we create, the more need there is to get more done faster, as the higher quality work takes exponentially more time to create than before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gs5nBoIxnOg

This guy makes a good comment about 2m:30s in. These elements are often used as secondary elements and not even the focus, so why waste valuable time on the stuff that isn't even the focus of your image. It's almost like making a level inside a game. you set dress, and put assets together from a library and less about actually making the individual assets. 
  • Maximum-Dev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is the monthly quota replenished by the 1st of every month or 30 days after the day we subscribe?
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    @martinkrol - right on - exactly my point. :)

I see Megascans as a hardware store. Carpenters didn't become obsolete or unoriginal because Lowe's or Home Depot are able to sell nails, screws, boards, etc. It meant that more people have access to create and build things at an affordable price.

Of course, just having access to the source materials (or in my example, the raw materials) necessary to create something doesn't ensure that it'll look good. You should see how terrible the new door frame looks that I installed in my bedroom. I had to cover up a bunch of the mistakes with drywall filler. If I were experienced in that sort of thing, I wouldn't have made silly mistakes that led to a lot of rework and touchups.

I'd make the same argument for developing an environment with Megascans. The service doesn't guarantee that everything looks the same. I've already seen huge variations in our scans from work posted on Twitter, Facebook, Artstation, etc.

@Maximum-Dev  - 30 days after your subscription - on your billing date. :)
  • Thane-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thane- polycounter lvl 3
    When is the second wave? I need fir + evergreen tree branches.
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    There's no date I can give you other than "when we're done with processing the scans and preparing them for the site". We want to push through these waves ASAP and get Megascans out of beta. Keep checking in on us, you'll see info soon!
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    im trying to reproduce the shaderballs in rendering... but i cant get the exact same uvs....

are these really spheres or smoothed cubes... uvs or some kind of triplanar projection.?
  • Maximum-Dev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm a little confused about licensing now. When we subscribe with Indie Team plan the $125 has to be paid for 1 month?
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    It's $125 a month, yes! :) Is there something I can clarify further regarding subscriptions?

@ogluhttp://www.filedropper.com/preview

This is the 3DO project we used to render out the material orbs.

According to Teddy, all previews for surfaces are 100% automatically generated as part of the compile/upload process, using 3DO in command line mode. We render them at 4K resolution, and then resize down to the desired resolution in Photoshop, apply a sharpen and some final CC/contrast via a batch script. Just having the 3DO project file, you can renderer it out manually, because nothing is done to the 3DO scene.
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    How does this project file work ? I don't see a way to load it either in 3DO or DDO (but I might be missing the obvious).
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    You should be able to replace the files in an existing DDO project with the ones in that *.ZIP to get the same look and feel, I believe!
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    Wow, that rocks package  looks fantastic.  Do you know what is their licensing ?   Can't find a word about license/usage  at the site 
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    Synaesthesia  i cant download anything on this link..?
    is it broken.?
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    It's not broken - looks fine from here. :)
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    @Synaesthesia : I think I understand what you mean (basically putting the "Plane" and "Render" folders from the Zip next to the "Bake" and "Previewer" folders of a given project) but I don't see any visual difference after loading an existing project again.

I think what @oglu and myself are looking for is a simple way to preview one of your material balls, in realtime 3d, with the displaced mud applied to it - either in one of your own viewports or in Toolbag. I'd happily attempt to recreate it in Toolbag by exporting the mud textures from Bridge, but there is no way for us to know the way your sphere is UVed and no way to guess the displacement values that we are supposed to input in Toolbag in order to recreate the exact same displacement (I would assume a standard midpoint and 1x multiplier, but we can't be sure). Basically we are looking for an accurate point of reference to evaluate a few assets, in order to reproduce the look in other environments without any guesswork.

In short : we need either a .xml Quixel project complete with all textures that we can load from the Photoshop Quixel Suite UI ; or even better, a .tbscene with relative paths to provided textures (and neutral lighting, and no color correction, and a provided .obj of the sphere) that we can open in Toolbag in one click. Icing on the cake would be a couple more scenes for other renderers : Vray/Mentalray for Max and Maya, Octane, Keyshot, Blender Cycles, Modo. Again similarly to the way Ten24 provides handy references Modo and Blender scenes complete with a free head scan and shader setup.

http://www.3dscanstore.com/index.php?route=information/information&information_id=16

Thanks !
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    pior is right.. im looking for a way to see how those shaderballs are made in a realtime scene...
    even better would be an offline render scene...
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    We'd like to work on this for you guys, but please be aware that it's going to take us a bit of time (undetermined as of yet) to break away from working on Megascans updates, SUITE updates, etc. in order to create a DDO scene that can be easily loaded to check consistency. We are still a small team, even with all these huge things going on around us.

I'll see what I can do to expedite this process. In the meantime - while you wait - please don't hesitate to remind me if there's no update to this thread in a while. I will check in with our team and see if there's been any progress made on this request. :)
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Hi there Jon -

If anything, a lot of this can be contributed by the community with just a few things needed from you guys. For instance I *think* I noticed that Toolbag causes open seams to appear on displaced models ; to double check this (to potentially report it to the Marmoset devs) the only thing I'd really need is a copy of your material sphere model in OBJ in order to precisely compare their results to your screenshots.
    I hope this makes sense !

[edit : just got a link to the sphere through the FB support group]
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    im not on FB could you upload the sphere here.?
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Sure thing, here's the link as it was posted on the public support group:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/mok2ixynr3q9hye/Sphere.obj?dl=0

Here is a quick first attempt in Blender/Cycles. The background is glazed_patio.exr from Substance Painter 2 set to 0.5 intensity + one hemi light for the sun + one point light for an added reflection hotspot. The PBR shader used is from https://www.blenderguru.com/tutorials/pbr-shader-tutorial-pt1/

Albedo, displacement and normals seem to be behave as expected. However I had to boost up the gloss as high as possible (by normalizing levels to full black and white in Photoshop) in order for the mud to appear even just a little bit wet. This is without a doubt a problem with the custom shader and not with the Quixel textures themselves though.
    http://i.imgur.com/oONCf65.jpg

That aside, the overall image quality is great :

@oglu : This should explain why the displacement seemed confusing and "too good to be true" at first. The sharp cuts/undercuts you are seeing on the cracked mud do not really come from the displacement map itself (indeed, one would need a vector displacement map at very high tessellation to achieve this sort of look). This high level of surface detail is actually the result of the combination of *both* displacement and normals. (You can actually see that the displacement itself doesn't need to be dense at all, looking at my topmost screenshot).

What I am getting at is that in order to get high-detail results in an offline renderer, you will have to make sure that your renderer also supports normalmaps, and not just displacement. This is actually pretty great because that means that only a few subdivision passes (or even no subdivisions at all) are needed for good renders.

- - - - -

Bottom line : I personally don't know much more than that when it comes to rendering with Cycles, so if anyone could chime in to explain how to set things up properly for gloss/reflections, that'd be great ! Eventually it would be awesome to have a direct link to Blender similar to the already existing Megascan export scripts.
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    I'm interested in any info on how the scanning works, particularly with the capture of foliage/atlas textures.

I have tried out a bit of this stuff myself as a hobby, and know how to capture albedo with cross polarized photography, normals with directional lighting and gloss/roughness as a difference of polarized and non polarized shots, haven't done it myself but I figure translucency can be done with some sort of lightbox.

However i'm curious how something like displacement/height is captured or achieved through processing.

Now I realize what I'm asking might be part of the secret sauce and not be something you guys want to share, but I'd appreciate any sort of info or be pointed in the direction of articles/papers/websites dealing with this stuff.

For what its worth here is a thread with my experiments so far
    http://polycount.com/discussion/167507/alexs-texture-scans
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    dispmap + normal looks totaly wrong to me... i have to do some more tests...
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    thats what i have for now... no normalmap used... just layered the ao ontop of the albedo with a layered texture...

• pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    That looks nice ! Maybe the normalmap is not needed for offline renders then. (It definitely is for Toolbag though, since in TB displacement only affects silhouette and does not produce any surface deformation reacting to light/shading).

I think Quixel definitely need to release a sample surface Megascans showing a range of material types next to each other - like a 3*3 grid with Mud, rock, mirror, steel, paper, grass, and so on. That would really help for calibration in renderers that are not supported yet !
  • kerouac9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When I go to download Studio for Mac there is only a PC version available. Also, when using bridge I have defined my download and repository paths and each download comes up with a "corrupt ZIP, please download again" message. 
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    The latest version of Studio is being prepared for a Mac release. Sorry about that!

Regarding Bridge, our programmer for that tool can be reached directly on our Quixel Live Support group - if you could please post there, we'll get you sorted out ASAP. :)
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Hello guys, so the material studio compositing thing is a brilliant idea, I just downloaded to try it as this would fit perfectly into our workflow on Gears.

Unfortunately, the material scans are 1m x 1m, am I missing something or is all the content 1m? Our target texel density on Gears is 4m = 2048 pixels, this means using megascans to creating tiling textures makes it repeat 4 times before we even tile it in Maya, defeating the point of all those unique pixels in our 2k textures. Could you start taking the scans from a farther distance from the surface, most games I've worked on use roughly 4 meters of unique space relative to the real world for a 2k texture.

Also after I exported my textures out of studio they look extremely pixelated, I think something is broken or you need to apply some filtering to the final blended texture, it looks like nearist neighbor filtering was used to scale it down to 2k, I even tried exporting to 4k and it also looked horrible and unusable.
  • Maximum-Dev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm said:
    Unfortunately, the material scans are 1m x 1m, am I missing something or is all the content 1m? 
    The ones that have bigger thumbnail are 2x2m. I wonder what the thumbnail size for a 4x4m would be...
    Probably it was best to just write by the corner of each thumbnail what size it is i.e 1x1, 2x2 etc.
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    @Malcom you're the first person to report this issue of pixelation. Could I get you to join our Live Support group and mention this there? I'll bring it directly to our Studio programmer to see if it's something on our end or possibly something else.

As @Maximum-Dev mentioned, we've got 2x2m scans up as well right now and they're identified by the size of the scan thumbnail. We'll be adding tags to differentiate them soon.
  • Maximum-Dev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As @Maximum-Dev mentioned, we've got 2x2m scans up as well right now and they're identified by the size of the scan thumbnail. We'll be adding tags to differentiate them soon.
    Having them tagged in Studio and Bridge would also be very good since all tile sizes in Studio and Bridge are the same.
    Thank you for keeping an eye here. :)
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    here an other try with redshift... im comming closer...

• gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    Could somebody  from Quixel explain please.   Materials done in Megascan studio, basically by blending  original  Quixel ones,  are considered  not significantly modified, right ?  and can't be sold to  a 3d party .          

What would be considered  "significantly modified"?    If I do the same in Photoshop for example?    In a word what a freelancer/independent studio can sell to a bigger studio without  extra cost burden of $12k a year?   

Or it's just not possible at all?
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    @gnoop - this is what I've been asked to pass along:

Q: What modifications must be made to a Megascans asset to permit reselling?

A: Is the target customer an isolated client, or an online marketplace?

Marketplace:

- Surfaces: Content must be predominantly made from original non-Megascans source material. (Example: a surface mix contains a custom imported brick with some Megascans grout in it.)
    -or- Textures must be modified enough so that they are projected into a new UV space and blended with other materials. (For texturing a unique model for instance)

- Atlases: Plants built with Megascans atlases can not be sold on marketplace sites other than the Megascans Community Marketplace.

- 3D Assets: Redistribution is disallowed.

Isolated client:

- Surfaces: Can create a new mix in the Studio and sell to a client as long as it is used as part of a product delivered to client, not for the client to resell. 

- Atlases: Plants built with Megascans atlases can be given to clients as long as they do not resell them.

- 3D Assets: Redistribution is disallowed.
This discussion has been closed.