Home Stickies

What are you working on Animators? 2016!

Welcome to 2016!

1 or 2 Embeds Max

The point of this thread is to be a quick update of whatever you're working on. 

If you want to show more videos/images, or ask for feedback, that's great. But please make your own thread for that. 

Then you can embed an image or video here, with a link to your thread so people can go see more of your deliciousness.

This also allows us to frontpage your work more easily, and to get your work into the banner up top. In fact, banners require your art to be in its own thread.

http://polycount.com/discussion/147939/what-are-you-working-on-animation-editon-2015/p1

Replies

• Sigmatron
    Offline / Send Message
    Sigmatron polycounter lvl 9
    I guess i will be first to post here:). Happy New Year, everybody!
    Right now im digging realistic looking characters but damn its time consuming so i wanted a little distraction from this and practice at animation(cuz its so fun).  I did not bothering with render here, just standart render from modo with diffuse textures.

• Sonny
    Offline / Send Message
    Sonny polycounter lvl 8
    For the past 4 months I've been struggling to keep animating, so as I slowly get back into the swing of things I made this quick animation to welcome in the new year. Happy 2016 animators.

Edit : Some of the choppiness is the gif messing up, plays smoothly in my playblast.  :'(
  • Hito
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    started this one few days ago, in 2015. first one of '16
  • Rmunday
    Offline / Send Message
    Rmunday polycounter lvl 8
    Happy 2016 animators! Here is something I have done in my free time, playing with particles in maya to make it obvious when the boosters kick in. Looks bizarre without context

• Blond
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 6
    Sigmatron, the rendering is nice but overall, she is way too rigid and stiff, especially when she starts walking.
    Also, I do not sense any wieght coming from her! Use reference, especially for realistic animation!

Sonny: keep it going!

Hito: Knowing how experienced and good you are, I'm looking forward to the finished version. :dizzy: 

Nice bouncing, you need to add a music behind haha

Rmunday: that cmaera moves too much and needs more work

I've finally finished my blocking on this.

Same character I rigged these past months, decied to put her into an assassin/spy context. 
    Need thoughts and crits (there's a bug where she pulls the dagger and ti's not appearing at 8 second).

• Rmunday
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Blond the entire action is pretty speedy I shall work on the camera when I get a moment, bouncing back and forth between projects at the moment.
  • Mime
    Offline / Send Message
    Mime polycounter lvl 10
    Run cycle

Thread of my progress here :smiley: 

• Hito
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    Looking great Blond! solid start. Looking forward to seeing the progress.
  • EVernier
    Offline / Send Message
    EVernier polycounter lvl 6
    First anim of 2016! The one I'm working on for the weekly challenge.

RMunday: you can't really tell what's going on with the camera as it is.

Blond: Solid blocking, looking sweet!

Mime: That run cycle's coming along. Good job.

Nice attitude Hito haha

• AcTTooN
    Offline / Send Message
    AcTTooN polycounter lvl 3
    Happy New Year, everybody!  B)

was start in  " Parkour " animation shot last year with " Dex - rig "
    the problem is wasn't have free time to continue it.
    now i have :)

so wish luck for me with it .. 
    that's last update i was done.

let's continue it. ;)

Topic Link
  • Chaucer
    Offline / Send Message
    Chaucer polycounter lvl 8

A little tentacle test.

Illustration by my buddy, Eric Buescher
  • Thomas_Froese

My first post on here - did some sort of stone golem and animated a few rpg`ish animations. Only after rendering I noticed that the foot are not always in contact with the ground, will fix that soon. :smiley: 

• MrBFox
    Offline / Send Message
    MrBFox polycounter lvl 4
    hello, think this is my first time posting in the animation forum, with the new year ive made one of my resolutions to 'get gud' at rigging and animation (film or game style) so heres a clip from a joint based facial rig ive been working on using a character i modelled in the first week of the new year
  • Blond
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 6
    EVernier said:
    First anim of 2016! The one I'm working on for the weekly challenge.

Nice job. I think I see some Stephen Vyas influence in there. The flow and pace seems pretty good to me but I'd suggest you to make more ''arc'' and overlapping movement as there are instances where it looks stiff and rigid.AcTTooN said:
    Happy New Year, everybody!  B)

was start in  " Parkour " animation shot last year with " Dex - rig "
    the problem is wasn't have free time to continue it.
    now i have :)

so wish luck for me with it .. 
    that's last update i was done.

let's continue it. ;)

Actoon, this looks pretty freaking cool! The timing seems spot on. Good luck for the rest.

Thomas, it looks like it's a monster straight from  Wind Waker! Really well done.

• Hito
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    couple of running loops... hopefully start of something little more interesting

• tuna
    Offline / Send Message
    tuna polycounter lvl 4
    I'm almost finished with this jumping around a boat pirate test, every time I watch it I notice things off, etc.  I'm looking to take it into an anisculpt type program to get the most out of some of the shapes/poses due to limitations in the rig.

• Harrysmith64
    tuna said:
    I'm almost finished with this jumping around a boat pirate test, every time I watch it I notice things off, etc.  I'm looking to take it into an anisculpt type program to get the most out of some of the shapes/poses due to limitations in the rig.

Hot dam Tuna that's great! What do you feel is off about it? I'm struggling to find any glaring faults, although that's probably because I haven't stared at it as long as you have, haha
  • tuna
    Offline / Send Message
    tuna polycounter lvl 4
    Thanks!  The things I'm seeing are just stutteryness in some of the motions (the character is entirely in stepped-keys), and I think I need to give the hands some more love, as they are kinda static in places and a bit unappealing.  Also debating whether the 'dagger in the mouth' thing is working, etc.  Ideally I'd also retime some parts, but we'll see if I get time.
  • Rmunday
    Offline / Send Message
    I am taking a brief break from actually animating to do a couple of pose studies, I believe my animation suffers from very generic boring poses so I am hoping that with some time put into finding reference, breaking down what makes it so interesting then replicating it I can make my animations feel much better. I have used Ballet as my starting reference because it is astoundingly fluid and a shock at how the human body, with some training can actually be posed! Pose on the right is obviously still been done :smile: 

• joarwho
    Offline / Send Message
    joarwho polycounter lvl 5
    Just having fun:

• Blond
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 6

Best thing I've seen this year on here. Awesome job!

Lil advice: when he first lands on the far left corner, would be nice to have some ''giggles'' in the head and arms.:)
  • AcTTooN
    Offline / Send Message
    AcTTooN polycounter lvl 3
    here we are 
    Dex Parkour SpLine Pass

let's continue it.
  • Haryas
    Offline / Send Message
    Haryas polycounter lvl 4

I did the Rig and the animation. The smoke and the ground are animated but, I don’t know how to show this on Sketchfab. The modelisation and concept was done by Lary kummer. You can see the 3d modelisation here: https://sketchfab.com/models/4fb6bdca0d544b8faef2c4941f52e64f

Hope you like it ! 

model

• KielFiggins
    Offline / Send Message
    KielFiggins polycounter lvl 3
    Very cool and a fun presentation.  Hard to tell if the leg is hyper extending as it stretches forward, might be a stiff frame in there.  Would be great to see this guy running forward past a static camera to see how he looks travelling.
  • Blond
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 6
    My latest work done at school. I've kind of rotoscoped a sequence of a french cartoon.

It's the first time where I really ''broke'' a rig to achieve desired poses (they're kind of extreme). Lip Sync isnt done though..
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    pior veteran polycounter
    @Hito : absolutely loving that female run cycle. It's so rare to see the center of mass being so well maintained in a stylized run - really great work.

Loving that pirate Tuna ! And the rendering and camera work are great too.

Cool stiff !
  • Blond
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 6
    Update on this.

• Blond
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 6

Arrgh, this angle is way better for this shot but oh well...
  • 13randO
    Offline / Send Message
    13randO polycounter lvl 3
    Happy 2016, everyone! As of recent, I have been working on peices to stick into my demo reel for when I graduate. Right now, I'm just putting the finishing touches on this: 
    Probably gonna give a clean up before putting it in the reel. Any critique is super welcomed. Happy animating, folks. :)
    Also, the audio loops twice in the video; not sure why. :S
  • Arturow
    Offline / Send Message
    Arturow polycounter
    Hello guys!
    I'm happy to share this shortfilm called "FLIGHT" in which I worked as a character animator in 2014. It was my first animation done right after school and I'm very proud of it :)!!! hope you enjoy it like I did ( Now that i have a "professional work" is time to apply to studios and hopefully land a job :)! )

Cheers!

• 13randO
    Offline / Send Message
    13randO polycounter lvl 3
    Great stuff, Arturow! That was delightful. 
  • Arturow
    Offline / Send Message
    Arturow polycounter
    Thanks 13brando! glad you liked it :)!
  • Rmunday
    Offline / Send Message
    Decided to give another dragon a shot, I find this rig more robust but also more finicky with its large number of controls. I notice immediately where I can make some poses stronger but I reckon this is a good start! Looking to use this for a new demo reel potentially so any feedback is welcome and appreciated!

• Svalinn
  • Rmunday
    Offline / Send Message
    Second Pass on the previous animation, going to sort the clipping issues as well as foot sliding, probably add more motion to the back feet so they are not just planted all animation. 

• Hito
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    @Tuna, great arcs and squash/stretch!
    @Blond, very nice! I'd loosen up her ankles a little as she comes out of the roll, you got some forward/backward already, needs a little side/side sway.
    @13Rando, Looking good, I think her left hand needs some variations, for now it's mostly in the same spot through the whole shot.
    @Arturo, nice short man, which shots did you animate?
    @Svalin, nice action! I think the spine has a little too much overlap? Not that it's bad, just little out of place on a stormtrooper.
    @Rmunday, 2nd pass is definitely better. I think the front legs move a little too far in a couple of places, ~5sec the right front leg don't seem to support the torso's weight.

playing with camera sequencer, mounting part still needs some work, rest seems to pull together pretty well.

• Rmunday
    Offline / Send Message
    @Hito thanks for the feedback, have already sorted the right leg over extended literately minutes after posting the video. That mount it looking beautiful, I personally feel there would be more of a...slam onto the back I guess, she mounts the creature as he is at the top of his run on the way back down so his weight would also drag her down a bit harder. Just my 2 cents :)
  • thatanimator
    Offline / Send Message
    thatanimator polycounter lvl 6
    might as well start posting here :)

finally got the ladder climb to work, that I did a thread about.
    now I've got all logic done I think... opening doors, ladders, bonfires, navigation and attacks.. might add a slide-down thing for the ladder, and have her climb up faster if you hold the sprint button, just play the anim at 1.5x speed

got some stuff left to do with the ladder anims, but I held it off until I got the logic working! :)
  • Hito
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    @Rmunday, yea you're right for sure. Got it sorted.
    @Thatanimator looks great man!
  • Blond
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 6
    Arturow said:
    Hello guys!
    I'm happy to share this shortfilm called "FLIGHT" in which I worked as a character animator in 2014. It was my first animation done right after school and I'm very proud of it :)!!! hope you enjoy it like I did ( Now that i have a "professional work" is time to apply to studios and hopefully land a job :)! )

Cheers!

OVerall, this looked pretty solid to me! I've always been inspired by your work man, your reel look pretty insane to me (espeically the blonde lady at the beginning)!
  • Blond
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 6
    Hito said:

Now that's some warrioir run! It reminds me exactly of that segment I watched of a ''Making of'' from the Princess Mononke movie.

Myiazaki was frustrated because one of his animator had wrongly animated a sequence where Ashitaka was running. He thought the running motion looked too hesitant  ''as if the hero was about to retreat and pull back at any moment'' he said. He then started scrapping all of the work of the guy and redid the whole seuqnece by himself. ,In the end, he made the hero Ashitaka swiftly run exactly like your animation, full of energy, sure of himself, before mounting onto Yakuru.

Great stuff! :)

Ever seen that movie?
  • Rmunday
    Offline / Send Message
    @thatanimator  that climb is looking really nice.  Any chance of seeing your animation blend tree in action?  Those transitions are super smooth!
  • _adamturnbull

@Hito - Love the run animations for both characters! The only thing that looked weird to me was her left arm after she mounts seems a little too wobbly but that might be a style choice. Looking great overall

@thatanimator - The ladder transitions look great! Maybe just add a little bit more weight on her climbing, it feels like she needs to make no effort to pull herself up the ladder.

@Svalinn - I like the slide and poses but it feels like the Stormtrooper starts speeding up as he slides, as if he boosts into it and he's sliding on ice. Not sure if this is intended or not?

I've been working on a looping fight for the 'weekly' challenge during my lunch breaks at work. Any feedback would be appreciated before I start adding post effects :)

• Eric Chadwick
    @_adamturnbull this is coming along nicely. It seems really slow though, like some parts are in slow-mo and others aren't. I would suggest speeding it up a lot more, would make it much more snappy.
  • penOr
    Offline / Send Message
    penOr polycounter lvl 7
    @_adamturnbull this is coming along nicely. It seems really slow though, like some parts are in slow-mo and others aren't. I would suggest speeding it up a lot more, would make it much more snappy.
    Yeah it's looking really nice and smooth but feels like it's running almost half speed. Here it is at x1.5 speed - https://gfycat.com/AnchoredThirdBinturong#?speed=1.5 , some bits become a little be too fast but most of it I think feels right?
  • thatanimator
    Offline / Send Message
    thatanimator polycounter lvl 6
    RMUNDAY
    thank you, here's a video with the blendtree in it :)

_ADAMTURNBULL
    I'm going for a dark souls kinda style and since their ladders kinda look like this (but worse tbh) I'm kinda happy with what I've got :)
    I don't feel the need to add any animation principles other than the ones I've got, no need for exagerated weight
  • _adamturnbull
    penOr said:
    Yeah it's looking really nice and smooth but feels like it's running almost half speed. Here it is at x1.5 speed - https://gfycat.com/AnchoredThirdBinturong#?speed=1.5 , some bits become a little be too fast but most of it I think feels right?
    Yeh I see what you mean. I'll speed it all up and fix up the parts that end up being too fast. Thanks guys!
  • heboltz3
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 7
    @thatanimator : Climbling looks much now!  What did you do to improve it?
  • Hito
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    call this done for now... and figure out what happens next. 

@Blond, seen the movie for sure, havent seen the "Making Of"; Mononoke is spirit of Lisa whenever I animate her.  Mononoke riding the wolf is main feel reference for this one.
    @Adam, yea you're right. definitely too rubbery. Tightened it up in the final.  Really like your choreography on the fight, just need to speed it up a bit and vary up the timing some. 

• EVernier
    Offline / Send Message
    EVernier polycounter lvl 6
    Couple of things I've been working on:

Started from a base run cycle and I tried out the anim layers to make the character turn.

This one's a dialogue from 11s club:

@Hito, really love that animation. Good job!
This discussion has been closed.