Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

.-| Week 40- The Weekly Hard Surface Challenge |-.

Replies

• garcellano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garcellano greentooth
    Hey Hayden,

Here's what I did
    SprayGun_Mesh_AnthonyGarcellano_zps62821ad4.jpg
  • commador
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commador polycounter lvl 14
    For that area, smoother is better. I would move that upper loop a bit higher so its not so "tight". That will remove that edge that's visible on your smoothed mesh.
  • commador
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Week 32 is up. Have at it!
  • garcellano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garcellano greentooth
    Thanks for the advice commador. Adjusted the top loop to make the curve less tight.
    Here's where I am for week 31.
    tumblr_nae4l1XqJC1ricnv1o1_1280.jpg
  • bsichterman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bsichterman polycounter lvl 6
    Thnx Yoon, tires took me a while to get right but after drawing it out on a piece of paper with a grid I found a nice solution.
    Here a closeup with wireframe
  • SsSandu_C
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SsSandu_C polycounter lvl 13
  • commador
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garcellano, SsSandu_C, nice work on the paintgun.

garcellano, I can see some weird shading on the flat sides of the body. Make sure all the faces on the entire side are coplanar and it should make that go away.

Week 33 is up, and it should be a nice challenge as it has big smooth shapes on every surface, and big blobby welds holding everything together.
  • cookedpeanut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cookedpeanut polycounter lvl 12
    SsSandu_C wrote: »
    here is mine
    Ok I've been dying to ask you, but dayum this NVil seems to be pumping out some quality swaag. Is that rendered in NVil too?

Could you make a short video for the program, there seems to be very little on it. However if the results are anything like the program then I'm hooked!
  • SsSandu_C
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi cookedpeanut! Those are screen captures from the viewport. I am thinking of making some videos while modeling so people might see some things made directly in it once I get a huge chunk of free time. There are some videos on youtube that tackle some things about modeling in it.
    Personally I started with the help file and forum. It didn't take me much. In a few hours I was up and ready to model.
    Best is to use the streamline search and memorize some of the streamline commands and keyboard combination. Once you have those down you will see how everything flows when modeling.
    At the moment I'm using it more for these challenges, to relax and actually enjoy modeling. Max is still my main tool and I'm pretty fast in it but in nvil has a workflow that is quite enjoyable.
    Stick with the program and you might say at one point the same thing. :)
  • DarkStar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey all, i am a little late but here's where i am at with the borderland radio - week 20.

will try to post more in the upcoming weeks since i will have more time. Im calling it done since im bored with and lost the flow a few weeks ago.

8pH9h2.jpg

My next challenge will be the week 23 - flamethrower
  • garcellano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garcellano greentooth
    @DarkStar: Looking pretty cool, dude.
    @commador: Thanks for the feedback, just got back on and saw this a while back.
  • NewLian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello everyone.
    This is the first time I post on here. I decided to do the Jerry Can first since it is the latest one. I would love some feedback on the topology :).

Here are the beauty shots:

U6grF0P.jpg
    uCZL9j3.jpg

Here are the wireframe shots:
    (NOTE. After I made the initial body I realized that I did not plan out the topology for the indents very well(at all...) so I went in and redid the main body.)

Before TurboSmooth(first attempt on the right):
    Full - http://imgur.com/NWgzlme
    Cap - http://imgur.com/XHZUJjy

After TurboSmooth(first attempt on the right):
    Full - http://imgur.com/ASk5RPY
    Cap - http://imgur.com/zxrMysC

Software: 3DS Max / Keyshot
  • commador
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks good NewLian! Be mindful of your edge width though.

Here's a few hours I managed to get this afternoon.

14880192400_2663f0b523_o.png
  • NewLian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That looks pretty nice commador.
    What do you mean by edge width exactly?
  • commador
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Basically the edge bevel. If its too "small" if you were to bake normal maps, you wouldn't have enough information in the texture to really show anything. Even though this is a modeling challenge, we are still working with game production in mind. The body of your can is great, but if you look at the spout lid and latch, the edges are razor sharp.
  • NewLian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah yes I see your point. I am in the process of UV Unwrapping it right now (3ds max crashing is not helping).
  • commador
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • commador
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Week 34 is up. Have at it!
  • DonEngland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DonEngland polycounter lvl 9
    Week 34, Fun shapes.

Wires

ldHvp7f.png
    str0Smm.png
  • Wulf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wulf polycounter lvl 7
    Hey guys, this is my first time participating in this challenge. I felt that my result came out fairly well overall. Excited for the next week!

Wires: 1 2

kIZpH5I.png
    KDAxz7y.png
    qUsTHph.png
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Decided to participate on this week challenge.
    WIP for today:
    vCDwDWz.jpg
  • NewLian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello everyone.

For this week I decided to do something a bit different since I just got my hands on the Quixel Suit and xNormal.

Overall I am happy with both the high poly and normal mapped versions especially since this is my first attempt at normal mapping.

I made the high poly (turbosmooth model)which I then decimated to get an extremely low poly version. Then used that to bake object space and world space normal maps and AO map in xNormal.

Beauty shot of the high poly in Keyshot:

nnRoDxM.jpg

Here is the beauty shot of the very low poly version mapped and textured in DDO:

NOTE: The light strip that can be seen on the coil is an error I made during the AO map bake which I since have corrected.

6oZumlb.png

Wires:
    Turbosmooth
    No Turbosmooth
    Low Poly(With material colour map)
  • commador
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good everyone! Just be careful with edge width.

Here is my take on it

Wires

14923855380_c9d0cc92f6_o.png
  • farettig
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Week 34
    First time participating since the inception of the challenges. Great fun.
    Wires (double smooth)
    UvkednH.jpg
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Done with the high-poly model..well, might do a clean up pass later on as like what commador said, some of my edges are too tight.
    Here is the pic, with some flying-cable-random-wire thing..yeah..

CGkz5aJ.jpg
  • NewLian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its a learning experience for all of us Shinigami :).

Keep the flying wire thing Revel looks cool ^_^
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If someone is cheating in a thread designed purely for personal skill improvement then ... I really wouldn't know what to say to that. :)
  • NewLian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ahmed mohamed personaly I am using 3DS Max and Keyshot for the beauty renders.

And I highly doubt that anyone in here is cheating. Mainly for the reason WarrenM gave.
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    WarrenM wrote: »
    If someone is cheating in a thread designed purely for personal skill improvement then ... I really wouldn't know what to say to that. :)

BAN THAT SICK FILTH
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    I use modo for everything and yeah why would anyone cheat to improve self? haha!
    Will post unsmoothed version with wires when I get back home ;)
  • AlexRodriguez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexRodriguez polycounter lvl 6
    What would be the point of someone else spending the time to model it for you. I wish I could get someone to do that after completing almost 23 of these the knowledge I gain is well worth it. Here make this ill show it off as my own but youll gain the knowledge of learning how to make it for future models. Seem the other guy has all the benefits
  • commador
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK, I'll try to give everyone a critique since that is the idea here. :)

DonEngland, looks good! Careful with the edge width, especially on the fan section.

Wulf, the big "finger poles" (who names this stuff?) should be curved between each section down towards the center shaft. There also seems to be some faceting in the ring of the fan. It can be tricky to keep a cylinder shape with irregular spaced segments, but its usually an easy fix.

NewLian, nice work. The fan section is great, but the rest really needs to relax the edges a bit. Nice work with the bake. Would you mind updating the new fixed images?

farettig, looks pretty nice. the fan "blades" could use a bit of rounding off on the edges so they are a bit less square. Also, the sections between the finger poles needs to be deeper.

Revel, interesting interpretation. As has been said many times before in this thread, just try to round off the edges a bit more.
  • NewLian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback. :)

Sadly my portable HDD died last night and all files were lost including the jerry can and alternator :(.
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    commador - yeah you're right. still messed up with my control edges being too tight, but I've already reduced the tension quite abit and appreciate for your feedback for everyone works! :)

NewLian - aw, that sucks man, sorry to hear that. data can be lost but hopefully experience and knowledge wont. sure you'll be able to create those object next time with ease! ;)

Here I've been trying to mess around with modo's shader tree trying to create a procedural surface to define a material, not sure whether it's a success or not (since I've seen it far too long, I cant see what is right or wrong..hmmm) but here goes; appreciate if anyone can give a feedback on it or better yet give a tutorial haha!

yEWGyFQ.jpg

And as promised, wires!

JxFjAWy.jpg
  • NewLian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Revel
    Yeah at least I did not loose anything too important :).
    The texture looks really nice. :)

How is the coil geometry made?
    In the render it looks like separate threads of wire but in the wire shot it looks like a solid piece of geometry.

And for anyone using 3DS Max do you know any easier way of making radial objects like these. Despite all my efforts to find an easier way of making models with repeating details in a circular shape(such as this rotor) I could not find anything. Creating both the fan and finger poles was very manual (as in duplicating geometry and welding verts together).
  • Yoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yoon polycounter lvl 9
    I'm lovin everyones Alternator Rotor! They are all looking really snazzy.
    It's cool to see some basic texture work being put into some of these beauty shots. :thumbup:

Revel - I like the extra loose wire for the presentation shot! It might be cool to try to match the colors to the concept (silver, gold, etc, not sure how hard it is to do in modo) but really cool work with the modo shader tree! original reference so you don't have to hunt for it

NewLian - bummer about your back up, that's my worst fear, I have a backup of some backed-up stuff. I thought the cloud might be a safe bet, but with all the news...how safe is it?! :poly004:
    Looking back through the thread, your alternator looked really cool! I hope you give it another try.

farettig - Nice clean render! might be neat to see your model with some flat colors on it to separate up the parts. I was going to say the copper part looks a little bit longer than it should, based on the reference image, but then I scrolled down a lil more and saw that commador's was was longer as well, so maybe not then *shrug*

a little late to the party. Here's my go at the Jerry can from last week

JerryCan_closed_01.png

JerryCan_closed_02.png

Top cap open versions
    open shot 01
    open shot 02

dem framing wires
  • Wulf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wulf polycounter lvl 7
    commador wrote: »
    Wulf, the big "finger poles" (who names this stuff?) should be curved between each section down towards the center shaft. There also seems to be some faceting in the ring of the fan. It can be tricky to keep a cylinder shape with irregular spaced segments, but its usually an easy fix.

Yeah, at first I made the cylinder shape by starting from a cylinder and extruding the shapes, but I realized that's the wrong way to approach a shape such as the fan. I learned how to properly do it later though.

Thanks for the feedback. :)
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    @Wulf - there is a script for max to make a perfect circle called Loop Regularizer, maybe you can try those? just for a quick fix.

@Yoon - it's not that hard to change color in modo, I did play around with brighter and darker version of the coil, but decided to go with this rusted feeling to make it looks match with the rest of the rusted iron..juuust mybe slighty too much dark haha!

@NewLian - The coil is nothing special really, like you said it's a single mesh with many segments > select every other edges > scale down quite alot > chamfer those edges if necessary, then you can introduce a bit of wobbly on them so it's not looks as if the coil are super neat wrap around the cylinder. To add additional detail, just create a floating ring object above the coil mesh to break up the lines even more..does that make sense?

In modo I'm using a plugin called Wheely by Adam OHern (CadJunkie/ MechanicalColor). Here I show you what I would do in 3ds max;

vUMt5OH.jpg

PS: You can safely ignore step 3, as it only serve the purpose to make it even number (instead of 5 steps which leave an empty box on the lower right of the image).
  • NewLian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Revel - Thanks for that! I think I came up with a way based on your pictures.

@Yoon - I am getting back into shape for uni and working on another challenge thread (Monthly Gun Challenge). I might redo the alternator at some point for practice though :).
  • commador
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yoon, nice job on the jerry can. Looks like a small amount of smoothing errors on the top right. Should be an easy fix. :)

Alright, posting week 35 a bit early. As usual, have at it!
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Nice one commador! interesting object. Not sure you guys familiar with a GrabCad website, but over there got many great cad type reference that you guys might want to check out! ;)
  • NewLian
  • commador
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    You guys are fast! Here is what I've got so far, just the bolt assembly. Enjoying model all the details, so much and went to youtube to see how does this thing work in real life! :)

Simple render fresh out of modo;

L7E3ztu.jpg
  • SsSandu_C
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    need to catch up :)
    jerry_can_WHSC_sssandu_c.jpg~original
  • NewLian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking nice everyone!

@Revel I should point out that my model has very little of the fancy details yours has. It consists of 7 subobjects and it is as simple as I dared make it while still keeping it recognisable.
    Also that GrabCad website, AWESOME! :)
  • commador
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for the delay, week 36 is up!
  • commador
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • SsSandu_C
    Options