Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Monthly 'Newb' CHARACTER Challenge | March 2014 | Adviser Pilot Girl

Replies

• Abidus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Abidus polycounter lvl 10
    @Monophobe: that cape looks delicious! really nice work so far.

@FX-Mart: Not a bad start. The proportions need some work: arms and legs look too short. Her face looks a little masculine at the moment, try softening her features a little bit (especially that brow line, females tend to a much softer one compared to males). Keep at it!

---

Due to real life obligations I haven't had the chance to work on this challenge more, and I'm going to have to bow out at this point unfortunately. Maybe I'll find the time in the future to finish it but for the time being, this what I have (quick polypaint, just because).

iSSkGNh.jpg

I'm satisfied with it considering it's my first ever female model.

Best of luck to everyone taking part, can't wait to see everyone's work!
  • rino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rino polycounter lvl 11
    working on this sniper for this chick.

aoN9OBV.png
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    That's one sexy sniper rifle.

Started working on the retopology now. Or I fear I will not finish this in time <_<"
    Right now her head has more tris than her body <_<" Not sure if I want to change how topology flows around her crotch or not.
    giAbfQC.jpg
  • Arkevilex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Rino: That gun is looking sick dude!

@Pyr: The topology around the knees will cause issues if you intend to animate.

Did a test normal bake today. I am quite pleased. Now I can comfortably finish sculpting and begin working on the cool little details to take her to the next level. I see now that I need to bulk out the arm bracers so that will be taken care of. Excuse the flat black near the armpits - I just baked out my basic vcols.

Also pending time, I may or may not drop the helmet. It depends on how everything else goes.

IW1inbf.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whoa, did you just make all the retop in one go just like that ?

... And right, I forgot the knee joints.
  • Arkevilex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern wrote: »
    Whoa, did you just make all the retop in one go just like that ?

... And right, I forgot the knee joints.

yup :P
  • Monophobe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Monophobe polycounter lvl 11
    Still feel like I've a long way to go, but some more progress; namely the shoulder guard, neck ring, belt pouches/buckles and edits to the cloak and straps.

Remaining HP checklist:
    - Arm strap/pouch
    - Arm guards
    - Hose/connector
    - Right leg straps/holster
    - Knee pads
    - Left leg pouch
    - Boot buckles
    - Face edits
    - Hair
    - Helmet (this might get dropped but I'd certainly like to try and get it done)

Still really enjoying the journey but due to the time I get to spend on this, my aim really is just to get the high poly finalised by the end of the month. Anything beyond that is a bonus

nmfUYo8.jpg
  • Nemecys
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nemecys polycounter lvl 9
    7GRQT.jpg

URGGGGHHHHH WILL IT EVER END!
    Im missing so many details, I decided I want to try dropping it in UE4 and play with the material editor :P

Need the armour plating and the cape, reckon I should just make a flat sheet and use the cloth Physics?
  • Monophobe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One more update before bed. Arm strap/pouch added and kneepads (still need the straps for these)

EQLJWxl.jpg

Keep up the good work everyone!
    Nemecys: Don't wish the work away, just go at your own pace and enjoy learning from it.
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    @ Monophobe - While the cape looks good I would really consider simplifying it. If it were for production it has way too much specific deformation. You want only a little bit of detail and to allow animation to handle the majority of the deformation of the cape. With next gen you will see a lot more cloth simulation so you wouldn't want all of that detail in the cape. That said the areas that won't need simulation ( the areas around the neck) are perfectly fine to leave as is.
  • Arkevilex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Low Poly is pretty much ready to go. I am definitely dropping the helmet due to time constraints. I've also decided to do a tactical knife (probably end up being a machete) instead of a gun. So I still have to make that. She is right were I want her poly/tri count wise. Under 16K polys and under 32K Tris.

FNHAjZj.jpg
  • rino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rino polycounter lvl 11
    Arkevilex wrote: »
    I've also decided to do a tactical knife (probably end up being a machete) instead of a gun.

DO THE GUN!
  • Monophobe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 wrote: »
    @ Monophobe - While the cape looks good I would really consider simplifying it. If it were for production it has way too much specific deformation. You want only a little bit of detail and to allow animation to handle the majority of the deformation of the cape. With next gen you will see a lot more cloth simulation so you wouldn't want all of that detail in the cape. That said the areas that won't need simulation ( the areas around the neck) are perfectly fine to leave as is.

Thanks for the feedback stevston, it's appreciated and I agree that this isn't how I would go about it if I was using realtime cloth sim, I'll keep it for this piece which will just be posed. However, when I come to make the low/bake I might keep the top section separate so I can investigate using realtime simulation at a later date and just swap out the hanging piece.
  • rino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rino polycounter lvl 11
    high poly done.

mi3d2Uc.png
  • Arkevilex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks like crap Rino!
  • Monophobe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a few additional pieces tonight and tweaking pieces I'd already done..

6COzjnC.jpg
  • Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wendy de Boer interpolator
    PyrZern wrote: »
    That's one sexy sniper rifle.

Started working on the retopology now. Or I fear I will not finish this in time <_<"
    Right now her head has more tris than her body <_<" Not sure if I want to change how topology flows around her crotch or not.
    giAbfQC.jpg

This hair will look very skimpy once you apply alphas, you'd be able to see straight through it. I recommend you use a temporary alpha texture while modeling, so you can get a better idea of how much coverage you are getting from the hair.

Definitely try to make the planes more snug on top of one and other, you don't want to be able to see gaps between them.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome sculpting details there guys. After I test these baking, I'm going to have to sculpt in some more now...

@DemonPrincess Thanks for the advice. I will be more careful with it. Most likely going to add in a few more strands, and move em around a bit.

I plan to utilize 3 uv maps. A 1024 for Head + Hands + Eye + Hair. A 2048 for her costume and most pieces. Another 1024 for her helmet + mask + tubes.

Speaking of which, could really use some help here, any advice on her helmet ? Yes, I'm keeping her helmet. I could just make a lowpoly and bake the whole thing like I do with her body, but I have seen hardsurface approach usually with mech or machinery with crap tons of smaller pieces. How do they do that ?? How do they bake and make texture for all those pieces !? I wanna learn. I wanna be better @_@ Looking at them now, I doubt there's going to be any detail baked anyway... Most of those pieces are smooth flat surface.

Here are some of the pieces breakdown.
    gHbZR6C.png
    ccv70Ne.png
  • Arkevilex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    in the hangout working if anyone wants to join. going to begin final sculptural details as well as creating the normal for my gun in nDo! :)
  • Nemecys
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Arkevilex, Don't be afraid to push some form into her Low poly, thats where her silhouette will read the most and give off her unique appearance.

@Pyrzern, Not to sure how to help you on this one, Im not a very good Hard Edge modeller, but its as simple as they take any pieces with serious geometry changes, and account for it, surface detail like SMALL rivets, scratches and inlays on a surface aren't worth the polys, but you seem to know what your doing based on your exploded view,

@Monophobe, your model reads quite flat in places, you seem to be a little worried about accentuating detail for the sake of normal baking, You have some very firm hard edges too, which wont read very well, you shouldn't be afraid of a little smoothing from time to time, it will help it all read better from a distance and that is usually more important,

Otherwise, This project was WAY to large in scope, all the small pieces and tiny details while fun, are easily overwhelming and often counter productive, I really don't have any passion to finish this with a retop, I hope for the next project we lower the scope DRASTICALLY to account for the entire building process as well as time for testing, models with this much detail shouldn't be used in this challenge, It seems alot of people didn't learn much in ways of anatomy and texturing, easily the more important areas to a model than detail, something to consider for next month....

7J0sR.jpg
  • Arkevilex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Nemency: Already did a normal test. I'm good.
  • ArtisticTiger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ArtisticTiger polycounter lvl 5
    the_monthly_newb_character_challenge___march_2014_by_theartistictiger-d7bmam8.jpg
    First real character finally completed, Way too many problems wrong with this trash, but that's fine, i learned something...Few more days left for the next challenge, so I'll learn how to use Zbrush until then...Oh yeah and I'll try to post more WIP shots with the next challenge.

Tools Used:
    Maya
    Headus UV Layout
    Photoshop
  • CLo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CLo polycounter lvl 3
    Lost a week thanks to GDC, but figured I'm gonna keep working on her since I need to work on anatomy!

tumblr_n30rotD59o1tvqhkgo1_1280.png

tumblr_n30rotD59o1tvqhkgo2_1280.png

tumblr_n30rotD59o1tvqhkgo3_1280.png
  • Onmioji
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Onmioji polycounter lvl 8
    First real character finally completed, Way too many problems wrong with this trash, but that's fine, i learned something...Few more days left for the next challenge, so I'll learn how to use Zbrush until then...Oh yeah and I'll try to post more WIP shots with the next challenge.

Tools Used:
    Maya
    Headus UV Layout
    Photoshop
    Really nice, i like your style. You have a little mesh mistakes, that will make posing hard. How about Sketchfab?
  • rino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rino polycounter lvl 11
    fc01.deviantart.nistictiger-d7bmam8.jpg

Tools Used:
    Maya
    Headus UV Layout
    Photoshop

looks good dude, next time give 3D coat a shot if you are gonna do handpainted stuff. also good topology, there are few places that can be tweaked, but good for the most part.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Was playing around with dDo a tad before I managed to crashed it. <_<" This thing blew my mind away. I'm like..... damn, should I really be using this !? But...but...This is almost like cheating damnit !!

I can see now I have to work more on my sculpting skills and understand how wrinkles work. No awesome texture software can hide bad sculpting. I will be BETTER !

q62DwOA.png
  • ArtisticTiger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rino wrote: »
    looks good dude, next time give 3D coat a shot if you are gonna do handpainted stuff. also good topology, there are few places that can be tweaked, but good for the most part.

Thanks man, going to look into that.
  • ArtisticTiger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Onmioji wrote: »
    Really nice, i like your style. You have a little mesh mistakes, that will make posing hard. How about Sketchfab?
    Well thanks, lol yeah way too many mistakes, lack of proper planning etc. but what's SketchFab?
  • Nemecys
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    7KMOK.jpg

Really need to retop this soon, but it is coming along nicely...

also dDO is free now so you should all go get that and try it :D
  • AnotherDustin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Female_head.jpg?format=1500w

Any advice on the head?.
    Ignore the neck...
    haha
  • rino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rino polycounter lvl 11
    baked this bitch

71Itz7c.png

i still have to mess with normal maps to get some detail out, but that's later.

i made her somewhat modular, so i can switch few things around, i'll demonstrate that later..
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can't get dDo to work properly now. *bangs head against wall*
    I reinstalled dDo. I tried x64 and x86. I reset PS Pref.
    I reboot. Nothing !!! The Previewer still not showing the mesh.

Like, c'mon. I still need to finish the Helmet. and fix the cape. et all.

Pn8Z4O1.jpg
  • dvisionvoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dvisionvoid polycounter lvl 6
    I started sculpting the face. I'm Pretty happy with the result since is my second human head :)
    As usual any feedback is more than welcome!

sZsTj99.jpg

SRMedpw.jpg
  • Arkevilex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @AnotherDustin: You benefit from bigger eyes, fuller lips as well as less protruding lips, a less upturned nose, defined cheakbone and jawline, and bigger ears.

@dvisionvoid: I did a paint over for some slight adjustments if you see fit. I hope this shows what I feel could use a bit of work.

1Qu99Tu.gif

I did forget to paint over the crown of her skull, but I think her forehead is definitely too big.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @dvisionvoid I think her face will look better with a tad more space between her eyes and also with her nose and mouth down a bit. Right now all her face features are clustered in the center. And check her cranium, yeah.

Also, concept voting of next month ends in 10 hrs. http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132787
  • rino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rino polycounter lvl 11
    feeling lonely in hangouts. :(
  • Arkevilex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't know if I will finish in time now. I was ordered to move out of my dorm tomorrow sooo...
  • dvisionvoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Arkevllex that paint over was really helpful! Today i will post the corrections ;)
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @rino I'm going outside *gasp* for a bit soon. If you're still online when I get back :P

@Arkevilx That sounds like fun...not. I remember my dorm years when I had to move every semester. :(
  • Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dave Jr polycounter lvl 9
    Arkevilex wrote: »
    I don't know if I will finish in time now. I was ordered to move out of my dorm tomorrow sooo...

Wow hope everything goes ok; looks like no one is going to finish this challenge on time! It was an incredibly complex character for only a month..
  • kay-vonlanthen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kay-vonlanthen polycounter lvl 7
    baked this bitch
    lol
  • Monophobe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whilst my plans to get the high rez finished by the end of the month are now scuppered due to other obligations and plans this weekend I will absolutely be finishing this project to as high a standard as I can. Hope you guys that have been participating will continue with yours and we can keep giving feedback.
  • Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dave Jr polycounter lvl 9
    Monophobe wrote: »
    Whilst my plans to get the high rez finished by the end of the month are now scuppered due to other obligations and plans this weekend I will absolutely be finishing this project to as high a standard as I can. Hope you guys that have been participating will continue with yours and we can keep giving feedback.

DW im in same boat :D we can crit each others :D
  • dvisionvoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do you think is better now?

ELOrNUJ.png
  • rino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rino polycounter lvl 11
    starting to hate her, but i'll finish her.

PFFZomw.png

she'll get new hair, don't like the concept.

oh and giant helmet is coming too.
  • kay-vonlanthen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kay-vonlanthen polycounter lvl 7
    the moment you realize, youre all alone in google hangout

photo.jpg
  • Arkevilex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I will most likely miss the dead line for sure. I don't have access to my computer until Monday. Maybe a thread should be made for late submissions. So people can still show the finished character when it's done.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Usually people still keep posting to the same thread after the deadline. There's also 'what are you working on' and that 'Haz's 3D Girl only'. But if anyone wants to make their own thread........ sure... We already got a lot of Arenanet Art Test everywhere anyway :P
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    baked this bitch

lmao... nice bake!
  • CLo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CLo polycounter lvl 3
    Any people gonna be on later today? Even though I won't finish the pilot girl in time for the contest, I'm trying to get her situated as a base mesh I can use later on. Just need to ask some pointers and such as far as retoping goes. (For instance if you use one of zbrush's retop tools or rebuild the geometry in maya, etc.)