Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Monthly 'Newb' CHARACTER Challenge | March 2014 | Adviser Pilot Girl

Replies

• atomicguppy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I have all the major parts on the model. I plan to start unwrapping over the weekend or maybe Monday. Unwrapping isn't my favorite thing to do so I would like to do it as few times as possible. Do you guys see any major issues or things I am missing?

[URL="[URL=http://s856.photobucket.com/user/atomicguppyguppy/media/wip_wire_zps7db6ab10.gif.html][IMG]http://i856.photobucket.com/albums/ab123/atomicguppyguppy/wip_wire_zps7db6ab10.gif[/IMG][/URL]"][/url]wip_wire_zps7db6ab10.gif

@Lazlow- Her body looks wide. You might want to thin her out a bit. Her face also does not really look like the concept. Otherwise it is looking pretty good.

@CLo- The shoulders look off. From the side view they look like they are rotated forward. Take a look at some reference photos of female shoulders and how they connect with the chest and pectorial muscles. Also, personally I find it a bit wonky to sculpt arms with the palms out like that. If you are finding yourself struggling with getting the arms right then try sculpting with the palms down.

@Warotic- What you have so far looks pretty good. the arms are probably a bit skinny but I really like the look of it.

@PyrZern- I like the red hair. The open back of the helmet seems a bit of a weird design, maybe try adding some padding or something? Her arm guards look huge on her right now and the knee pads feel a bit small.

@Dave Jr- The suit looks nice, keep up the good work man!

@Monophobe- Looking great! I really like the feel of the cloak, I can't wait to see the rest of her.
  • rino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rino polycounter lvl 11
    kof68CX.png

i don't know about this one i might drop her. might.

and i am gonna change few things and add some different armor and stuff.
  • Arkevilex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haven't posted progress in a while so here we go. I'm working on the helmet now. I have yet to build the mech parts that decorate the back. I'm also working on a pilot oxygen tank. Once that's done I will tackle the cape and the rest of the hard surface stuff. haven't touched the feet, or belts yet.

Sojs6gH.jpg
  • tarickTDS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really lookin good Arkevilex, very nice indeed! :poly142:
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Personally I don't really like how her helmet is on (design based on the concept). I tried a few designs and still not happy with any of them :( It just looks funny on her.
  • Arkevilex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern wrote: »
    Personally I don't really like how her helmet is on (design based on the concept). I tried a few designs and still not happy with any of them :( It just looks funny on her.

I agree. I'm only making it to match the concept when I pose her.

EDIT:

Also, Here is an image of a peek of what you might see behind the pilot's back.

darkdistrictonandroid_mfg.jpg
  • Felixenfeu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Felixenfeu polycounter lvl 10
    Anatomy wip-Thingy and breakdown. I'll post more tomorrow, when i can work on the face.

gaOdAl3.jpg
    2DvZ5cR.jpg
  • polymator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    polymator polycounter lvl 6
    I realize starting this halfway through the month is not the best thing to do but I'll do it anyway.

Not much to show but it's a start.

sRkrjwf.jpg?1

And a turntable just for kicks.

[vv]89225118[/vv]
  • rino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rino polycounter lvl 11
    google hangouts are fun.

working on the armor.

NjMOHnS.png
  • Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dave Jr polycounter lvl 9
    Update seeing as i'm a bit behind. But happy with the progress and the standard upkeep :) should be a nice portfolio piece when its eventually finished haha :) - Any critiques would be greatly greatly appreciated :D

YxjPi42.jpg
  • Monophobe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Monophobe polycounter lvl 11
    @rino: Cool to see you putting your own slant on the concept. Good luck with it!

@ Dave Jr: I might be being thrown off by the lack of hands and the neck appearing detached without a visible collar, but it look to me as though the head is a fraction too large (my anatomy isn't great so feel free to ignore). Keep up the good work :)

Little more progress on the boots from me this evening:
    fNa8Jje.jpg
  • Arkevilex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Dave: I agree with Mono that the head is a tad too large. Other than that...looking good.

@Rino: I dig it.

@Mono: That belt is bitchin.

I don't know if anyone else thought of this, but instead of doing an oxygen backup for the back piece, I've decided to do a parachute box and the tub wrapped around her torso could be part of the pressure release system for the chute. I thought it would make more sense to have that instead of oxygen.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Interestingly, I was planning to turn that thing on her back into some kind of communication device instead. Like how infantry squad has a 1 guy carrying radio-thingy on his back. As for the oxygen tubes, either connect to the suit itself, or to something kinda small on the back of the waist, or on her left thigh where the straps are.

Also, finally I have decided the look of her helmet. It is not final, but it's finally something I like. Oxygen mask's design is based somewhat on WW2 Pilot.
    HtB4j1K.jpg
  • rino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rino polycounter lvl 11
    something is wrong with google hangout. can't join.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Same problem to the Hangout as well.
  • rino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rino polycounter lvl 11
    something was happening, works now.
  • ArtisticTiger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ArtisticTiger polycounter lvl 5
    wip_monthlynewbchallenge_march_2014_by_theartistictiger-d7almzk.jpg
    Alright haven't posted any wip shots since i started, pretty much finished now though, once she's all done, this will be my first complete model. Majority of the details will be through textures..would be nice if could have did this in zbrush instead of just maya but w/e maybe next challenge i'll know zbrush a bit..Onto refinement and uvmapping then i guess.
  • klown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    klown polycounter lvl 12
    A week of gastric flu and now a week without a computer to move house has knocked me out of this challenge, not much I do about it but still, was going quite well with this and was enjoying the ride. I'll finish the HP off by the end of the month and might set a little personal goal to get it LPed and textured.

Great work for those still going! looking forward to seeing the textures start to come through :D
  • Monophobe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If things carry on the way they've been going I seriously doubt I can finish within the month, but I will definitely see it through, no matter how long it takes.

Spent the last 2hrs sorting out a random "locked main mem in list" problem. I was still able to open my files but was getting crashes constantly. Realised that parts of the mesh had corrupted and had verts skewed into space and that my side zips had managed to get utterly corrupted. Lots of going through old files, quicksaves, etc and salvaging parts where I could, saving as new ZTLs and bringing them all back together. Seems that something had gone wrong with the eyelets which I've not touched since I added them. Stripping those out to remerge has stopped the errors so I can actually continue.... except I need to go to bed.
  • gyarados
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Monophobe wrote: »
    If things carry on the way they've been going I seriously doubt I can finish within the month, but I will definitely see it through, no matter how long it takes.

Spent the last 2hrs sorting out a random "locked main mem in list" problem. I was still able to open my files but was getting crashes constantly. Realised that parts of the mesh had corrupted and had verts skewed into space and that my side zips had managed to get utterly corrupted. Lots of going through old files, quicksaves, etc and salvaging parts where I could, saving as new ZTLs and bringing them all back together. Seems that something had gone wrong with the eyelets which I've not touched since I added them. Stripping those out to remerge has stopped the errors so I can actually continue.... except I need to go to bed.

Man that sucks i hate it when work gets lost, but iam glad that your still going to be working on it.

I have a question how did you do the borders for the grey pieces of cloth ? because they look nice and clean.

So ive been busy with my university coursework so i havent much time for this hobby. Ive changed the face a little so it should look somewhat older and ive started blocking out the suit.

I will probably continue sculpting the hands.
    head_wip11.jpg
  • Monophobe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gyarados wrote: »
    Man that sucks i hate it when work gets lost, but iam glad that your still going to be working on it.

I have a question how did you do the borders for the grey pieces of cloth ? because they look nice and clean.

Just masked and inflated, nothing fancy. Each of my panels is a separate subtool so I can get good resolution out of them.

Also, that face is looking fantastic! I'd say the hair could do with a little more love, but I'm really picking at straws. Keep it up!
  • rino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rino polycounter lvl 11
    i was hoping i would stick to the concept, but that didn't happen obviously. i am going to put ton of armor on her.

TFlLku0.png
  • Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gyarados wrote: »

So ive been busy with my university coursework so i havent much time for this hobby. Ive changed the face a little so it should look somewhat older and ive started blocking out the suit.

I will probably continue sculpting the hands.
    head_wip11.jpg

@ gyarados: Yay I was wondering where you got too :D, don't worry about not finishing on time - I think quite a few of us will be in the same boat. I'm behind too :D What did you put on the sleeves and legs? like the stripey/strappy sort of thing?

@ Rino You hard surface MACHINE :D looking brill.
  • Nemecys
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nemecys polycounter lvl 9
    7A7jD.jpg

Few issues,
    Dont paint your mask on your new extract, you'll get double extraction on the next one,

Proof of concept at least, just need to repaint the masks and try again,

If you get jaggendess on the edges of extractions use Dynamesh to smooth it all out :)

Any C&C ?
  • Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nemecys wrote: »
    7A7jD.jpg

Few issues,
    Dont paint your mask on your new extract, you'll get double extraction on the next one,

Proof of concept at least, just need to repaint the masks and try again,

If you get jaggendess on the edges of extractions use Dynamesh to smooth it all out :)

Any C&C ?

I'd retop those Kevlar pieces you've extracted, it allows you to control your edge flow and retain those harder edges. - its fast aswell as you only need to do one side and symmetry/mirror across.
  • Nemecys
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @DaveJr
    CHAMPION IDEA!!!
    Do you think this is a good opportunity for me to try learning how to use the retopo in Zbrush, or play safe and go for Max?

I reckon Zbrush will be easier cause it contours more effectively, But I hear the controls are fiddly

Thanks for the C&C
    I will be sure to leave my own when I get a bit more time after I update my work :)
  • klown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    klown polycounter lvl 12
    Nemecys:

The way I did it was

Paint mask > extract > ZRemesher >small cleanup topo in max + set even border along the edge > use UV groups for polygroup > mask and inflat inner section

Hope this might help.
  • Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    klown wrote: »
    Nemecys:

The way I did it was

Paint mask > extract > ZRemesher >small cleanup topo in max + set even border along the edge > use UV groups for polygroup > mask and inflat inner section

Hope this might help.

This is similar to how I did it too. Except I extracted, then use zbrush's zsphere retopology method. Once happy with the result I go'zed to Max, neated the topology a lil; and set a different material ID to the inner section - this is how you create polygroups. I then extruded the trim and reinforced the edges with some quick swiftloops.

- This allows you to use zbrush to retop manually
    - allows you to clean up any topology issues in max
    - create custom polygroups
    - have a nice clean and UNIFORM trim - some of the trims produced are generally quite varied.

Hope this helps, and dont worry about not finishing this on time; as far as I can tell, most wont be .
  • Monophobe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Decided to give Marvelous Designer a crack tonight. Not decided yet if I'll stick with my original cape sculpt and work it up or try and get something nicer out of MD, but I'm seriously impressed with it so far. Gets a bit mesmerising just moving it about during the simulation.

ASrKC2F.jpg
  • dvisionvoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dvisionvoid polycounter lvl 6
    I've been a bit busy but here are some updates. I definitely have to look for more cloth modeling reference haha

qjdjAuh.png
  • Kapoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kapoff polycounter lvl 11
    head_helmet_refine.jpgSome little progress here.

I can see that you guys are doing great!
  • rino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rino polycounter lvl 11
    this is going to be final look. i mean it's not done yet, i still have few things to add and fix. but in the end it will look something like this.

aVbCFOA.png

i didn't like the concept that much, it bored me to death, so i am going to stop here.
  • Nemecys
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    7BIfn.jpg

Another solid bit of progress today, mainly focused on facial anatomy and retopologising the Armour plating,

We need more hangout friends :P
  • Felixenfeu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Lazlow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Apologies for not posting more regularly, been enjoying the google hangouts too much!

Here is my current progress.

a01Hx7A.jpg
  • AnotherDustin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Little update. Im hitting it hard this weekend.
    Check out my site, under Blog to see my progress.
    dustinleon.com

(MY SITE IS NOT FINISHED STILL TESTING SOME ELEMENTS)

ZGrab012.jpg?format=1500w
  • Felixenfeu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I got feedback, i tweaked the face. I'm open to all comments.

GF4RMXS.jpg
  • AnotherDustin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Felixenfeu
    I love the anatomy of your sculpt.
    The face is fantastic. I can't wait to see more.
  • Monophobe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Had another crack at Marvelous Designer tonight. I'm sure someone who knows what they're doing could match the cape concept perfectly just in MD, but as it is I'm happy taking this as my base to continue sculpting on in ZB.

anisNJA.jpg
  • Felixenfeu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Monophobe : Great Idea to use Marvelous, you've got a great base to sculpt. I might give it a try too, i've used it once and it was a great tool.

@AnotherDustin : Thanks ! Can't wait to finish the anatomy, i gotta start the armor pretty soon.
  • dvisionvoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any tip on how to model the zipper?

iaf1zGG.png
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There's IMM Brush for Zipper. I think everyone is using that. A Google search should get that for ya.
  • dvisionvoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you PyrZern!
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Starting the session now.
    We're in the Hangout. Come to join us :)

I'm going to try to wrap up all the sculpt today. Some extra pieces will have to go, but I want to finish the important part of it, instead of not at all.
  • dvisionvoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    new Update

Im going really slow but trying to learn all the tools in depth

waFXI12.png
  • FX-Mart
  • FX-Mart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys, first time posting on these forums. I've been browsing and looking at the works a lot though! Here is my progress so far. I just hope to finish someting acceptable by April. :D

RkOYwve.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey FX-Mart, welcome aboard :)
    Not bad of a start there. Might want to focus more on her face. Female face is hard to get it right. (I'm still not getting it right !) The eyelids are too big. And there's really no intrude under an eye bag. If you touch the area right under your eyes, it's flat and smooth. Her features are too pronounced right now. And some some head planes are missed I believe. I like her lips and her nose, though it's better to check anatomy guideline for the whole thing to be sure. If you have any future plan to post/animate her hands, it's best to relax her fists. I also like to think a person's hands should go beyond one's crotch. Or we wouldn't be able to put hands in pockets. Watch for shape of her forearm/bicep relation. And lastly I think her boots go up a tad higher than that.

Keep going though. And come join the Hangout sometimes !!
  • Monophobe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm in the hangout if anyone else wants to come play :)
  • rino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rino polycounter lvl 11
    Monophobe wrote: »
    I'm in the hangout if anyone else wants to come play :)

sex time.