Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Monthly 'Newb' CHARACTER Challenge | March 2014 | Adviser Pilot Girl

Replies

• PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    @klown Sweet anatomy ref there ! They will come in handy now.

About her face, I was using this face. Once I get most of the landmarks down, then I just gave her some more cheeks.
    1fe39d18bd299c95a815d10e3b203c11.jpg

Never really done any real hard-surface before. I believe it usually utilizes multiple smaller subtools like if you make it from real materials ?
    And here is my progress so far. Worked more on her face. And start working on her helmet.
    a6OOIKi.jpg
  • SuperAdrianna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperAdrianna polycounter lvl 9
    Hi everyone! Finally posting something so I can't let myself procrastinate anymore. I usually do environments, so we'll see how this goes. I started with a planning blockout. The only thing that's bothering me is I can't figure out what she has attached to her legs. She's got something on each side and I can't figure it out. foq6Tt1.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @SuperAdrianna Welcome to character challenge :P I figure there's a dagger attached to her right thigh. I have no idea about what's on her left thigh though. Nor do I understand why there's an upside-down zipper at her stomach. It doesn't go down to the crotch, or go up to her neck... What is it for !?
  • AnotherDustin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blocking out the props.

blockout.jpg?format=1500w
  • gyarados
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Monophobe: Here are some crits, take it with a grain of salt. They are general so its up to you to do some research into those areas.crit.jpg
    for the nose check the planes.
    http://www.stanprokopenko.com/blog/2009/06/draw-nose/

your sculpt's eyes do not have the crease and the part above it is flat.
    http://www.stanprokopenko.com/blog/2012/09/video-draw-eyes/

The lips bottom border are too well defined and thus look unnatural.

Testing marmoset with base mesh, skin material, and normal map. Eyebrows are exported from zbrush until i can do alpha mapped eyebrows.

head_wip5.jpg
  • Monophobe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Monophobe polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks for the crit gyarados, all things I agree with and will work on :)

Once again, yours is looking very slick! Great work.
  • Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dave Jr polycounter lvl 9
    gyarados wrote: »
    @Monophobe: Here are some crits, take it with a grain of salt. They are general so its up to you to do some research into those areas.crit.jpg
    for the nose check the planes.
    http://www.stanprokopenko.com/blog/2009/06/draw-nose/

your sculpt's eyes do not have the crease and the part above it is flat.
    http://www.stanprokopenko.com/blog/2012/09/video-draw-eyes/

The lips bottom border are too well defined and thus look unnatural.

Testing marmoset with base mesh, skin material, and normal map. Eyebrows are exported from zbrush until i can do alpha mapped eyebrows.

head_wip5.jpg

Wow man really nice, wanna share how you did those brows :D
  • gyarados
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Dave Jr: see the screenshot. Its literally a export of the eyebrows from zbrush sadface.

I used a tutorial from a polycount user. I think the key point is to have a high segment count and work on small segments at a time.
    http://www.yurialexander.com/tutorials/fibermeshmaya-tutorial/

head_wip6.jpg
  • klown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    klown polycounter lvl 12
    Block v1 mostly done. Need to come back to it tomorrow and look at it without tired eyes and also to figure out some issues like something for the thigh and what the shoulder pipe is going to connect to.

8yb89d.jpg
  • Abidus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Abidus polycounter lvl 10
    @gyardos: really nice work and clean topology! I'm not sure what it is, but there seems to be an unwelded seem at the top of the head.

Decided to remesh the model to a lower polycount and try again and I'm pleased with the results so far... I think the proportions look much better and the skin isn't as lumpy and difficult to work with as before. Cheers to everyone for posting the fantastic references!

vkQFVOc.png

before:
    PvH8s6F.png
  • Nemecys
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nemecys polycounter lvl 9
    Glad to see some people on during the GMT Day time, Had the pleasure of working alongside Klown for a while...

@Klown, solid work on the base, good use of form, may want to delete your armour ( Darkest Mesh) and do it using the extrude in Zbrush, would be more form hugging, a bit like the concept rather than the 3DS Max way.

I managed to get some more progress on the head and general form, feels a bit more like a living person now, Not happy with my ears, I always forget to account for their complex geometry when making a model, might model them elsewhere and bake them separately if needs be...

7l3GH.jpg
  • dvisionvoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dvisionvoid polycounter lvl 6
    Im having problems with the extract functions in zbrush, i can't get clean borders, any tip ?

jkVUHxp.png
  • Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im having problems with the extract functions in zbrush, i can't get clean borders, any tip ?

jkVUHxp.png

Remesh it to a lower polycount or for a better result, retopologise over it.
  • Abidus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Today's progress:

0Y34qha.png
    VRiE0Mt.png

Still need to work on many things including the hands, nose and ears but so far so good (I think?).
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lovely updates everyone!
    @klown This is my personal taste, but I think her upper half could be shorter and lower half longer. Right now you have 4.5:3.5 head length. 4:4 head would be nice. Her jaws are a little square-ish, and maybe more cheek.

@Abidus Good job with the progress there ! You can chop off her head as separate subtool so you can focus on it easier. Lower subdiv level and focus first on planes of face. Everything will come easier after that.

@Nemecys Nice going there ! Her face seems quite manly right now. Smooth the crap out of it !(?) Ears are definitely hard... I'm not even doing ears this round. I want to focus on something else. Her upper arms appear a little short. Her waistline might be a little high for my like. You could lower it a tad closer to her crotch.

@dvisionvoid Usually when I use extract. I Zremesh it once right away with high density. That allows me to smooth the edge without shrinking too much. Zremesh it to lower number after that.
  • atomicguppy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great face reference everyone! They will definitely help with the figuring out a lot of the details that are not shown clearly in the concept. I am almost done getting all the major shapes done. There are still a few areas that are kicking my butt tho, like the outside of the boots. The cape is also super early and needs a ton of work on it yet.

[URL="[URL=http://s856.photobucket.com/user/atomicguppyguppy/media/wip_3_zpsc3623a76.jpg.html][IMG]http://i856.photobucket.com/albums/ab123/atomicguppyguppy/wip_3_zpsc3623a76.jpg[/IMG][/URL]"][/url]wip_3_zpsc3623a76.jpg

@klown- Nice job! her shoulders look a little broad and she feels kinda thick overall The cape looks awesome tho, I can really picture that thing flapping in the wind.

@Abidus- MUCH better. She is really coming along, It would be nice to see a profile view. Her neck still feels a bit long and her face is a little mushy. Take a look at some skulls and how the cranium and ears are positioned and shaped. Keep at it.

@Nemecys- Her rib cage feels a little thick and it looks like she might be leaning back on her heels, but its a bit hard to tell from the 3/4's view. She looks really solid overall. The hands are a bit gooey. I would sculpt them separately since she has the glove things that will cover the connection anyway.

@dvisionvoid- when I want a super hard edge on something, I will drop a Z sphere on it and retopo it. Its almost like polygon modeling in zbrush. It's probably not the best way or the most efficient but it works for me.
  • Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @atomicguppy - really nice blockout looks ace id just watch the transition between forearm and shoulder looks abit anatomically wrong.

@abidus - keep on practicing, remesh or go down a few subdiv levels; get a refence sheet and use ONLY the MOVE tool; try and sort the head proportions out but yeh its coming along good.

@Nemecy - great start so far; Idk if its the pose, but it looks asif shes leaning back slightly?

Quick update; reworked some of the face and did a quick blockin of the hair. Plan to build the base clothing this weekend and move on from there; so tonight and tomorrow i'll build some proper eyelashes and eyebrows. - Feedback again would be GREATLY appreciated.

Cheers guys

EDIT: Image next post below :)
  • CLo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CLo polycounter lvl 3
    Well, it's a start!

@Nemecys I think there's a wonky transition between the ribs and hips thats causing her to look as if she's leaning back from a head on view.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm dropping this here real quick. Came across this while working on her helmet.
    b7097fbaac1ab940512b0c5ceea81248.jpg
  • Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Final update for today; time for bed! - @Cly - keep going its a good start and plenty of time yet :)

TlMpbTH.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any suggestion on why she doesn't look interesting ? Is it her posture ? Forgive me the eye-bleeding background T_T I promise I won't do it again.
    1798889_10152238096985115_646661680_o.jpg
  • Kapoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kapoff polycounter lvl 11
    gyarados wrote: »
    @Dave Jr: see the screenshot. Its literally a export of the eyebrows from zbrush sadface.

I used a tutorial from a polycount user. I think the key point is to have a high segment count and work on small segments at a time.
    http://www.yurialexander.com/tutorials/fibermeshmaya-tutorial/

head_wip6.jpg

Oh man, this is the thing! Thank you. I wanted to practice the fibers on this one so this is the most welcomed link ever! Model looks dope too. Congratz!

I see you guys are rocking the hell out of this month's concept. I really feel motivated to work too when I see so many results. Keep it on guys!
  • Alexashby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @PyrZern: I agree she could look a little more interesting too. I feel her face is looking kind of plasticy like a mannequin right now. My suggestions would be to take a look at the lips more indepth. I feel it's really straight and kind of falling flat. With the reference you posted take a look at how her lips curve.

Looking good on the hard surface modeling!

@Kapoff: I'm pretty new to this but just wana say your topology is looking pretty good!

@atomicguppy: Great looking block out! I feel you could take another look at her legs though. I feel her calf is bent back a little to far.

@Abidus Nice progress! I'd say take a look at her forehead, I feel it's a little too big in relation to the rest of her face.

My progress so far, feeling pretty worried about where I'm at right now as there is so much left to do, this is my first character model too s I don't know what I'm doing really. I've been working on her face for most part and reworking her hands and body some more. I felt the face was really bad on my first update. Still feel her legs need work and such, but I think I gota move on to modeling clothing now.

Over all, I think she's way to skinny! The character design's not this body tyoe.
    girl_002_zps05b3b16e.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Last visit before logging off to sleep :)

@Alexashby Pretty good so far there. A closer up of her face will be most useful btw. Full fronttal view will help as well :P From what I can tell here, her arms/fingers appear quite long. Biceps can have more fat/muscle. Torso/chest can be a bit wider.
    If you turn her body into inner layer of her suit, then she's probably quite skinny. If you are going to cover her up again and again (like Dave Jr is doing), then maybe not so skinny. Once you have her body nailed down, it's pretty easy to start on her clothing. You probably can get started on shoes or cape if you choose to, but be prepared to adjust them around as well.

And thanks for the point out about her lips. I will work more on that tomorrow.

@Kapoff Join us !!
  • gyarados
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Abidus - Thanks for pointing that out, it turned out to be a normal map issue with zbrush, I had to use xnormal in the end. There is still a line there, but its from the diffuse map.

I think that you should chop off the head and go down to 1000-5000 polygons and start the proportions again using some artist's head references. Right now her head is big, but her face is small and there is a lack of structure overall.

I did a paint over, take it with a grain of salt because dont draw at all, it is best if you do some research on the internet.
    crit2.jpg

@Dave Jr - Face looking is looking little pudgy and the knees look a little funky, but overall it looks nice . I was wondering how you placed the hair, was it done using insert mesh brush in zbrush?

@PyrZern - I think it looks good. The tip of the nose looks a little squashed though and the bottom lips look thin compared to the top.

I mapped the eyebrows and eyelashes to alpha maps and I was wondering how you guys are planning the hair?
    head_wip8.jpg
  • Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gyarados

--

Cheers for the feedback man, if you can go a little further so I don't know what you mean by pudgy, like fat or like zbrush too high subdiv too early?

- Paint over me please :D -

10wcSDB.jpg

-
    I appreciate the feedback on the knees though; I need to fix the hands, feet and calves also there all in need of some love :). A few people have asked for my hair technique so here it is; a hair IMM brush for zbrush from the great jonathan Nascone :D - I'm not sure if it generates UV's but its extremely similar to Crazyfools IMM hair... when he chooses to release it :(

http://www.jonathannasconeart.com/#!portraits/c14cx
  • Arkevilex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi everyone! This is my first time post on Poly-count. I figured it's time I join officially so I can take part in this awesome challenge. Hope I'm not too late to the party.

Anyway, here is the form blockout I did for the challenge. She is in perspective if that's an issue. I look forward to critique before I start refining shapes.She is also still in low dynamesh stage. 90K.

1HMmgTk.jpg
  • Alexashby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @PyrZern- Thanks for pointing out the orientation, didn't realize it wasn't that useful for critique. But ya think it could use more work before continuing. Not to happy with face yet either.

@gyarados: I'll prob be following a tutorial for the hair haha, but I imagine it being more or less layering flat planes on top of each other and texturing them a certain way idk... That
    s how I think I'll be going about it.

Just woke up and heading to work soon but thought I would take PyrZern's advice and upload a frontal view of my WIP. Plan to work on the anatomy some more today. Hopefully start on some clothing too.

After waking up and taking another look her face still needs alot more adjusting I see now XD XD

ZBrushScreenGrab_body_zpsbb1ef988.jpg

ZBrushScreenGrab_head_zpsc50d03e6.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Alexashby
    I'm not an expert so don't blindly trust me on this :P
    b9cb5f047c91530a4b38d3cd25a63c72.png

I'm on Hangout now starting my session if anyone wanna join up :)
  • atomicguppy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @PyrZern- I think she looks like an inflated doll right now. Her arms are very thick and tube-like. Maybe work on thinning those out a bit and adding in a bit more form and muscle definition. Her suit is fairly form fitting so you will get a bit of that detail. The silhouette is kinda blah too. once you start adding in all the strap and pouches and belts and little bits and stuff to break the silhouette up I think that will help. The helmet is looking pretty nice tho.

@Alexashby- That is really good for a first character model, nice job. I agree she is a bit too thin, try adding in some muscle tone to her. Also keep in mind that the suit she has will add a bit of bulk to her. It would be nice to see a few angles of her to really get a feel for how she looks. Keep at it man, it starts to really go quickly once you have the base forms down.

@Dave Jr- I think gyrados means that her cheeks are a bit chubby. She does not really look "fat" but there is some "puff" in her face that you might want to tone down a bit. Overall, its coming along nicely, I like it! :)

Great work everyone! These are all looking awesome!
  • Abidus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome work everyone!

gyarados: She looks awesome! keep up the good work.

Thank you for the feedback and the paint-over, really helpful stuff. The head is causing me a lot of grief at the moment but I think I'm just gonna sit tomorrow and start over (for the nth time now).

Alexashby: I'm clearly not an anatomy expert by any means, but I think the breasts, navel, and groin are too low on the body. Also, the legs are little too long.

cpKx8mm.png

I did these before I checked the feedback you guys gave me, so forgive me if it doesn't look like much has improved (It will look much better on the next update). Pretty much shot myself in the foot trying to fix the arms.

6c4vumu.png

HVZymZb.png
  • Arkevilex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Abidus: I think the main thing that is truly giving you a hard time is that you went too high with the SubDiv too fast. Getting forms bulked out and refined in a lower res is much easier then trying manipulate thousands of points at a time. :)
  • gyarados
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Dave Jr: yeah i meant what atomicguppy said in his post. I did a paint over of the 3/4 view. I made it the same size as the original so you can switch between them see the differences. Oh and i use that insert mesh brush to make the hair which saved alot of time, but the UVing was still a pain in the ass.

crit3.jpg

WIP 1 of hair - Just testing it doesnt look to well with the head since there are lots of gaps and all sorts of things going wrong.
    head_wip9.jpg
  • Mossbros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mossbros polycounter lvl 9
    So I decided to bite the bullet and actually try to sculpt a human, This is my first time doing this so if you see any problems please do tell me.

508d43f05ced53fa43ce895972e7de1f.png

One problem I couldn't resolve was the eyelids, Jesus Christ they just wont sculpt like I want them. Any pointers on this?
  • Dmns
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good day, my first post here. Never really get to do a female character.fdvX7q0.jpg
  • Arkevilex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Turning in for the night so I thought I should show what I've done today. I started her earlier this afternoon. Still a looooong way to go.

x6OivVS.jpg
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Gya and Dave, they're coming along great guys. Gyarados how did you go about creating the hair, something like fibers in ZB or more along the lines of extruded planes? I've been checking out Maya's Xgen recently and seems it can do a pretty good job of this.
  • Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch wrote: »
    Gya and Dave, they're coming along great guys. Gyarados how did you go about creating the hair, something like fibers in ZB or more along the lines of extruded planes? I've been checking out Maya's Xgen recently and seems it can do a pretty good job of this.

@Torch if you look at my prior post our hair is using a hair imm brush which sadly doesn't generate UVs, uv them and put alphas on them. It can be a bit messy, so it might be quicker to use maya Or even just standard alpha plane technique, it's slower but allows more control.

@Gya cheers for the paint over really appreciate it. I'll use it when I get home so I can post a progress update :)

Keep going guys!!!
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Dave Jr wrote: »
    @Torch if you look at my prior post our hair is using a hair imm brush which sadly doesn't generate UVs, uv them and put alphas on them.

Sweet, nice one Dave!
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Mossbros Sometimes I see people mask the area around eyelid to sculpt the inner/outer part of it.

Very productive day today. I feel like a few of us logged in more than 8 hrs in the hangout !

Thus, I'm beaten #_# Haven't really worked on her face yet. So I will get to that tomorrow. Slimmed down her legs a tad. Will do the same with her arms as well. Her plane hair will be more fluffy and puffy. Her helmet will be made a tad smaller. Feedback and suggestion most welcome.
    1932754_10152240154265115_1719815875_o.jpg
  • klown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    klown polycounter lvl 12
    Update!

Had a great session in the hangout today, got a bunch of stuff done.

Moving into wrinkles and belt/belt buckle details. Need to settle on something for the thigh and to make some time for the Helmet :O

wsvaeb.jpg

Everyone's work is a great motivator, keep it going suckas!

Side note, anyone who wants some real time feedback, try and catch me in the hangout and I'll be happy to help anyone who asks :)
  • CapableWizard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CapableWizard polycounter lvl 9
    gyarados: Loving ther hair tests man! good work!
    klown: Nice progress :) I feel like the legs are a little short, the concept girl has pretty long legs though :O

I'll be making a start on mine today! Blocking out in the hangout, now with added mic :D
  • gyarados
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @CapableWizard - Thanks. I cant wait to see your sculpt.

@klown - Looks solid.

@Torch - Theres also a tutorial which i used to do the hair part, it starts 22 minutes in.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGN7Wby2thk"]Character Photoshop Texturing Overview, tutorial, Ellie fan art The last of us - YouTube[/ame]

I kind of finished the head i pushed the eyes inwards and there are still some penetrations with the hair and shading problems, but i am not too bothered with them.

head_wip10.jpg
  • Keresh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Loos awesome gyarados but maybe a bit too young?
  • Abidus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gorgeous work guys! Really inspiring stuff. :)

Finally had a breakthrough with the head... Still no where near perfect but I think it's at the best it's ever been at this point. Forehead is still humongous, and neck is still a little too long.

rUEebIg.png
  • kay-vonlanthen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kay-vonlanthen polycounter lvl 7
    @abidus your head is to small. Look at any sideview of a head. The proportions are off. Also u work at a much to high sub division level use dynamesh at a resolution of 64 and work your way up. Use references and anatomy books. Overlay your screen with that new function within zbrush6. I would hope i coulp help you! Keep it up and love what u do, never give up ;)
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dimfist polycounter lvl 8
    Wish I could join this one but I have too many things on my plate. I won't finish the comicon entry in time and my last month challenge still needs to be low polyd. I will finish it though!
    Just wanted to pop in and say wow some amazing works going on. I will be watching this!
  • Kapoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kapoff polycounter lvl 11
    head_female_facial_hair_render.jpg

Jumping on the train in hot!
    I'm done with the sculpt of the head I think here. But again, any crits are welcome guys!
    I see most of the people here making awesome progress... All this makes me happy!

Didn't take the time to start the hair yet because of my birthday Friday night that kind of annihilated all perspective of working properly the Saturday after.

I'm hopping to get the hair in fiber looking good, I really need to learn how to work with these suckers. So any "create awesome hair with fibermesh" type of tutorial page is more than welcome!
  • Arkevilex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Kapoff: Are you intending her to be older?

Today was head day, so I got her face pretty much done and fully poly painted. I also placed out the hair planes, refined torso and leg sections of canvas on her suit, and fitted eyelashes to her. Eyebrows are temporary.

tYc3Sov.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Kapoff, Love your style man. She looks pretty strong and maybe more stern than the concept. But I like it.

For some reason today is indeed the head day for most everyone. I looked up tutorials to sculpt skin details and gave it a go. I think most details aren't clearly visible. I think her head is at 3-ish mill points. Should I subdiv more than that to add skin pores and such ? She has super crazy eyes right now. Like... the voice is speaking to me... Not that happy with her hair placement yet. Want more volume. Decided to test the hairs out anyway. Not getting nice alpha for the hair, parts of the strands are semi-transparent. T_T Oh... and I think she has a semi-duckface going on, ewwww.

1911198_10152241901025115_1347785065_o.jpg