here is the basemesh, i still have to work on it

EJID0kE.png

neck is a bit long
  • JustMeSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JustMeSR polycounter lvl 4
    rUEyJpr.jpg

I am slowly getting there. (something is off with that hair, it doesn't look that weird when I look at it in real time..)

Anyway does anyone have idea what this might be? bhjzjc6.png

I looked for pilots (even military ones) equipment, but found only maps, compasses, suits and so on. I am guessing it might be PDA in plastic holder, or some kind of paper with information for identification (you know rank, name...)
  • CLo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CLo polycounter lvl 3
    tumblr_n26xzbTOmv1tvqhkgo1_1280.jpg

Finally got it working. Anywho, I think I'm pretty squared away on the silhouette for extracting the suit. Now to work on her face.

tumblr_n273uy8EQj1tvqhkgo1_1280.jpg

And starting in on her face. I know the eyes are too big and there is definitely problems around the mouth/chin area. But fairly happy with it for how much time I got to put in :).
  • CapableWizard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CapableWizard polycounter lvl 9
    Good progress guys!

CLo: I reckon you could do with some more curves, your body is looking very angular right now, also change matcaps! Red wax makes everything look horrible imo :)

rino: I'm liking this so far, a few proportion issues but really good flow :D

PyrZern: Nice progress! Face proportions are definitely a little off though, for the duckface check out some Bargue drawings and if you can read some [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Human-Figure-Dover-Anatomy-Artists/dp/0486204324"]Vanderpoel[/ame] he mentions somewhere about how the features of the face have evolved to slope back into the face to protect them from falling objects - it's a really good book!

Here's my progress for today, not much to show right now just a generic naked girl! I feel like I need to tone down the skinny-ness although the suit isn't exactly skin tight so it might be ok :D Feedback on proportions much appreciated!

vYd4asS.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Note, the hangout URL has been changed. Here's the new one. It's also edited into the 1st post as well.
    https://plus.google.com/hangouts/_/event/c7fe9g4molu8u9fs73a0274dvh4?authuser=0&hl=en

@CapableWiz, thanks for the link ! I will work on that tomorrow. Your sculpt be might generic naked girl, but that's one super sexy naked girl :P

@CLo, You might also want to rotate the palm to face down. It will be more natural when it's time to pose or animate.
  • Arkevilex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @CapableWixard: Very Nice!Them are some child bearing hips.

Today was all about hands. That means I got the worst out of the way and now I can focus on her suit. I also retopo'd her head and I'm looking at the finished model being 12K-14K.

Next on the agenda is retopo Hands so I can map the head,eye,and hands together to do some testing in Marmoset. Also have to UV the hair to my premade hair map I made which will be quick, so I'm not worried about that too much.

Rz0dHGN.jpg
  • Alexashby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really cool stuff guys! Really inspiring was fun poking around the google hangout Was kind of scared to start retopoing and procrastinated. But started on it today and made no progress. PLan to stay up really late and hope to have something later to maybe post.

After two people telling me to retopo in zbrush and not max I decided to give it a gooo. Actually didn't know you could retopo in zbrush till today. Something about resetting xforms too and scaling the object in max leads to trouble?

fa5_zps8bb5469d.jpg
  • Abidus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Abidus polycounter lvl 10
    @JustMeSR: I looked up other concept art pieces from the same game and found this image of what I assume is a different female pilot... you can see the thing on the side looks kinda like a flat pouch (maybe for a pda or something, like you said). Hope it helps (sorry for the quality, image was tiny):

1QpgN8i.png

@CLo: She's looking pretty manly at the moment. Wide shoulders, narrow hips, big skull, etc. Try softening her up a bit and emphasize her curves.

@CapableWizard: You are both very capable and a wizard. Amazing job so far.

Remeshed the entire model to ~10k-ish points and started again... also worked on the hands and head as separate objects before I imported them (hence why they aren't attached at the moment). I think the proportions are much better this time.

Hopefully I can finish this tomorrow so I can finally move on to modelling the costume and all the other snazzy stuff.

fNJ4DYF.png

P.S: If someone tells me I'm still modelling at too high a subdiv level, I just might kick a basket of puppies off a cliff.
  • rino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rino polycounter lvl 11
    oi, next hair and clothes

dSXm24n.png
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    I know there are a lot of resources out there but I want to try and do next month's character, any advice on where to start with the most basic of learning anatomy and character workflows as a crash course? I know there are plenty of things available but I want something quick and to the point, how did you get started and is there any advice I could get to avoid wasting time?
  • Arkevilex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know there are a lot of resources out there but I want to try and do next month's character, any advice on where to start with the most basic of learning anatomy and character workflows as a crash course? I know there are plenty of things available but I want something quick and to the point, how did you get started and is there any advice I could get to avoid wasting time?

Digital Tutors and Gnoman are great places for awesome tutorials. Also check out youtube. Find so many pictures of skeletal formation and musculature that is fills your computer. To check out workflows, creep around Artist threads. Some of them share protips and tricks.

As for advise...quit wasting time and start now.
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    @ AlexCatMasterSupreme - Here is a great tutorial by Adam Fisher on Character art workflow.
  • Arkevilex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 wrote: »
    @ AlexCatMasterSupreme - Here is a great tutorial by Adam Fisher on Character art workflow.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: I may or may not have a crush on his work.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    Arkevilex wrote: »
    :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: I may or may not have a crush on his work.

Thanks guys and yes Adam is an awesome artist, I might give this month a go, I have only sculpted a face once and it looked like shit, but I will give this a go, I might even try and make the basemesh at lunch today!

Thanks homies.
  • Abidus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Digital Tutors and Gnoman are great places for awesome tutorials. Also check out youtube. Find so many pictures of skeletal formation and musculature that is fills your computer. To check out workflows, creep around Artist threads. Some of them share protips and tricks.

As for advise...quit wasting time and start now.

+1 for digital tutors... super cheap and more tutorials than you can shake a stick at.

If you're looking for a great book on the subject, check out "ZBrush Digital Sculpting Human Anatomy" by Scott Spencer. I found that book fantastic in walking you through the (male) human anatomy workflow.

Last update for tonight, started working on the outfit.

9rSLj19.png
  • Monophobe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Monophobe polycounter lvl 11
    Amazing work from everyone so far. I've been away since the end of last week so not a lot to show since last time, but I made some edits to the face and made a start on the suit and panelling.

First time streaming in the hangout tonight but hope to keep at it, very inspiring watching other peoples progress.

i0AfBpM.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rino wrote: »
    oi, next hair and clothes

dSXm24n.png

Rino, what's the poly count on that face when you sculpt the skin details ? I just test-baked mine, and the details didn't come out well.
  • rino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rino polycounter lvl 11
    1mil and some change
  • Arkevilex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got a bit done today. Head, Hands, and Eyes have been fully projected and are waiting for the rest of the body. Next on the list is Hair UVs and filling in some gaps and then I can finally focus on her suit and helmet.

Here is a quick shot from Marmoset. I'm just using the plain Lambert shader with a kick-ass gloss and spec map.

Still have to fix a couple things on the spec. It have brought some seems to the forefront but they are barely noticeable. Also, if anyone else knows what to do about this, whenever I use a tangent-space normal in marmoset, I get angry seems. I test the same normals in max and they're fine. I found a way around the problem by using Object-Space normals, But if anyone know how to fix the seam with tangent space in Marmoset, let me know!

KZp6bnt.jpg
  • rino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rino polycounter lvl 11
    BBteimY.png

helmetz

and join in on google hangout, sweet cheesus, peoplez
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fk Hangout. I'm off to sleep, dude.
    Helmet looks ... rly.... nice....
    ZZz zz zz zz....
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    @ PyrZern - If you want to get good bake of your pores I would separate your head so you can get the subdivision level you need in Zbrush and then just make sure you exaggerate the pores a ton in the sculpt.
  • Abidus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    progress:

H77Ovgj.png

any tips, tricks or advice on sculpting good looking cloth?
  • rino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rino polycounter lvl 11
    Abidus wrote: »
    progress:

H77Ovgj.png

any tips, tricks or advice on sculpting good looking cloth?

only thing that works is practice, or you can simulate cloth with md2.
  • Kapoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kapoff polycounter lvl 11
    When i was done with the general mass of the hair in fibermesh i decided to do a quick render that turned into a full render ... that turner into a composite render with color derping in photoshop and all kind of experimenting. it's been a long time since I did my last composite so I feels good.
    In general, fibermesh is a thing that I only start to understand right now and it is quite the tool. But daym this thing is weird at first. I tried to work relatively small sections at the time and stylize the hair section by section but the result looks way messier than the concept...

But I guess your hair would at least be THAT messy if you just took of your helmet after a flight.
    Anyway... there's the progress, crit's are very welcome. I want to start working on the helmet before I get to tweak the hair again.

female_head_hair_compo.jpg
  • Monophobe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is the hangout down, or is it full?

EDIT: Typical. Starts working as soon as I post to ask.
  • dvisionvoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dvisionvoid polycounter lvl 6
    I have a technical question about zbrush, im trying to polypaint this pilot girl, i can do it without problem in every subtool except one (the base cloth). I'm new to this software so if any of you guys know which may be the problem please let me know ;)
  • Monophobe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If nothing is displaying when you polypaint then it sounds like there's possibly a texture enabled on that subtool.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 wrote: »
    @ PyrZern - If you want to get good bake of your pores I would separate your head so you can get the subdivision level you need in Zbrush and then just make sure you exaggerate the pores a ton in the sculpt.

You mean separate head from body at the neck ? Already did that though :)
    Monophobe wrote: »
    Is the hangout down, or is it full?

EDIT: Typical. Starts working as soon as I post to ask.

Heard the limit is at 10 ppl. Yesterday we hit 10 ppl for awhile sometimes too.
    I have a technical question about zbrush, im trying to polypaint this pilot girl, i can do it without problem in every subtool except one (the base cloth). I'm new to this software so if any of you guys know which may be the problem please let me know ;)

Also, check for Masking.
  • Colossal_Dragon
    Hey guys awesome work!
    I'm entering a tad late so I hope I can get her done by the end of this month! Here's my progress so far (mainly working on her face):

p8cv6uS.jpg

2ZdLCLF.jpg

Also some quick dynamesh forms for her body:

4uyYFIN.jpg

This is my first time sculpting a female human, so any tips/critiques will be greatly appreciated! also please excuse my print screen pictures, I'm not too familiar with zbrush rendering so yeah...
  • dvisionvoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My progress so far. Please critic :)

uJasS8V.png
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Colossal_Dragon I think her face looks very young. Almost child-like. Her face(eyes, nose, and lips) is too much centered and not spreading out enough. And I think she has very long neck. Her forehead should go straight up a bit more before slope back, I think. Don't quote me on this.

@dvisionvoid Looks kind of ok from here. Not very good angle to see much there. Full frontal view will help. Her toes seem very flat though. Also depends if you want some muscle tones visible on her suit or not.
  • Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dave Jr polycounter lvl 9
    Ok so latest update so far; thanks for the HUGE HUGE help and crits on the hangout...(ESPECIALLY Alicia) I would of progressed alot further if i didn't keep on having hardware issues but meh, shit happens. I'd like to work on the hair tomorrow... I don't see myself finishing this challenge on time but aslong as its a nice portfolio piece when done I'm not too fussed... hands still need to be looked at... and as usual CRITS appreciated :D

dqNQVsb.jpg
  • Arkevilex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dave Jr wrote: »
    Ok so latest update so far; thanks for the HUGE HUGE help and crits on the hangout...(ESPECIALLY Alicia) I would of progressed alot further if i didn't keep on having hardware issues but meh, shit happens. I'd like to work on the hair tomorrow... I don't see myself finishing this challenge on time but aslong as its a nice portfolio piece when done I'm not too fussed... hands still need to be looked at... and as usual CRITS appreciated :D

dqNQVsb.jpg

Very Welcome Dave! :)

Aside from he hands, she is looking vastly better! Her hands are too teeny and I think her Sternocleidomastoid muscles are a bit too pronounced. Other than that...keep up the awesome work!
  • dvisionvoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern thanks for your feedback, here is an update with the frontal view. Tomorrow i will model the hands and the fabric around the neck, maybe start blocking out the face. As usual any feedback is more than welcome!

Olg7tpB.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @dvisionvoid Might want to block in rough hands as well. Hard to tell if she's facing palms down or outward. It would affect the angle of her arms. She could use some curves around her waist -> hips. Block in her head so you can check her proportions.
  • Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very Welcome Dave! :)

Aside from he hands, she is looking vastly better! Her hands are too teeny and I think her Sternocleidomastoid muscles are a bit too pronounced. Other than that...keep up the awesome work!

Thanks Alicia, I will smooth out the Sternocleidomastoid muscles; and I've made a base hand in which I'm going to sculpt on :) I think I might blockout the outfit tonight rather then the hair... Might motivate me to move faster! :D

Cheers

Dave
  • Arkevilex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dave Jr wrote: »
    Thanks Alicia, I will smooth out the Sternocleidomastoid muscles; and I've made a base hand in which I'm going to sculpt on :) I think I might blockout the outfit tonight rather then the hair... Might motivate me to move faster! :D

Cheers

Dave

I hear ya. I've been fiddling around with hair too much. Time to get back to outfit work. xD
  • rino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rino polycounter lvl 11
    9Uhw4Ef.png

sorry for the mess.
  • Abidus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    today's progress:

TTpmES2.png

I'm planning on creating the shoulder pads, knee pads, boots and armguards in Max by the time I'm done. I'm leaving the cape till last because I'm having trouble getting it to look believable in zbrush.

Hair is also just a placeholder, trying out fibermesh.
  • atomicguppy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry it has been a while but I have been busy with some stuff. I have sculpted a few more little details like the pouches and some belts and stuff. I tried to use the hair brush that Dave Jr. linked. It seems pretty awesome but I still don't quite have the hang of it. When I rendered it some funkyness happened with her upper lip so please ignore that.

[URL="[URL=http://s856.photobucket.com/user/atomicguppyguppy/media/WIP_sculpt_zps7cdb2143.jpg.html][IMG]http://i856.photobucket.com/albums/ab123/atomicguppyguppy/WIP_sculpt_zps7cdb2143.jpg[/IMG][/URL]"][/url]WIP_sculpt_zps7cdb2143.jpg

I also went ahead and started to retopo her. Right now she is sitting at just under 18k tris, which is a bit higher than I want so I will have to go in and clean some stuff up.

[URL="[URL=http://s856.photobucket.com/user/atomicguppyguppy/media/Wip_wire_zps9d38caf8.jpg.html][IMG]http://i856.photobucket.com/albums/ab123/atomicguppyguppy/Wip_wire_zps9d38caf8.jpg[/IMG][/URL]"][/url]Wip_wire_zps9d38caf8.jpg

@Kapoff- She looks really creepy with those eyes. Her nose looks a bit off an the current coloration on her jaw/cheek area makes it look a little bruised. I haven't used fibermesh much since, as I understand it, it can not be used for much outside of zbrush. It can make some really nice looking renders tho.

@Colossal_Dragon- Nice head. Right now her neck seems a little straight in the side view and from the front her jaw line looks a little too round. Her jaw looks like the top of her head, only mirrored down and it is giving her head this kinda weird "oval" look. I have no idea if that made any sense and I probably wont even notice it once you add hair, but right now I can't not see it and it is bothering me a little bit.

@dvisionvoid- Her torso feels a little long. I agree with PyrZern about the hands. Right now it looks like the palms might be facing toward the camera which is a really awkward way to model a character.

@rino- I think her legs are short, and the arms might be a little long. Its hard to tell about the arms with the legs being so short. The hips feel a little wide too.

@Abidus - It looks like you sculpted the little rings on the suit and the zipper right into the body mesh. You would probably get a much cleaner result if you just made all of those things separate subtools. Right now, she feels kinda lumpy and mushy. Try dropping down a subdivision or two and then making all the little details separate subtools. I think my sculpt is at least 35 or so subtools. Doing it that way can give your sculpt a really "clean" look and help with things that are supposed to have a hard edge.
  • Lazlow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Late to the party on this one, blocking stuff out at the moment.

6zdHL7O.jpg
  • Monophobe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great to watch you guys who joined the hangout tonight, time for me to hit they hay. Here's tonights progress on the suit.

erYZDn2.jpg
  • CLo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CLo polycounter lvl 3
    tumblr_n2cqj8xRH61tvqhkgo1_1280.png
    tumblr_n2cqj8xRH61tvqhkgo2_1280.png

More WIP, front view feels a bit off but I think side view I think is looking decent now. Wish I could work on it more but sneaking time in between homework :).
  • Warotic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    base so far. any tips or critique?
    Untitled-1.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lots of progress around, awesome. Not to mention those in the hangout with me earlier.

@Lazlow, her body seems a tad chubby, while the head isn't quit so. And her head is pretty masculine to me... (looks kinda like Tyreal from Diablo 3) O o!

@Monophobe Nice trim-edge on the suit there ! I gotta do the same with mine now.

@CLo I'm horrible at paintover, but you could use some reference on her head and some curvatures of female form.

@Warotic When you add in her hands, be careful not to make her arms too long. Can't wait to see her face.

Here's my progress thus far. Took some liberty around a bit. Didn't know how to get transparency/alpha to work in ZB. So the hair was simply a visualization. But yes, she's a redhead now.
    1669649_10152250435625115_484678706_o.jpg
  • Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elloMT9.jpg

Real quick update and blockout of suit on my spare lunch break...

Again crits appreciated - will retop the kevlar pieces and add the trim in max i think :)

EDIT: IGNORE HANDS :D
  • rino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rino polycounter lvl 11
    dave, inflate those fingers, man.
  • Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I haven't started on my hands; they will be a separate sub tool dw ;)
  • Monophobe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not a great deal of progress tonight but I adjusted the belt positions from my last post as they were sitting rather high, got a few details on there like the eyelets and central zip and have made a start on the boots. Great hangout again :)

ljvGlxY.jpg