Home Dota 2

Dota 2 workshop monthly unnoficial competition #10 - November

Replies

• foxclover
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you working in Blender? I can show you how to change UV layout and keep the same texture.

Yes, I am! That would be fantastic, I didnt even know it was possible! Thanks for the help. :D
  • Psych
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am thinking of remaking them a bit... hit me up with any thoughts :D

9bpg.png
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    MdK wrote: »
    I was thinking that maybe a problem but considering it was the misc slot I thought I would see what you said about it. No problem though, if you aren't happy with the sword. I have to say I was a little confused by the rules myself. I understood it to be that we couldn't make head/weapon slots.

The slots for Axe are 300 LOD1 and 500 LOD0 so I'm hoping it should be ok.

sorry if didnt make it too clear.

i added on the rules now that weapons are not alowed, even if they are not on the weapon slot. do you guys think that is ok like that?
  • Snowstorm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowstorm polycounter lvl 5
    @Blender2Dota - That works a lot better than I thought it would! I like the additions you made to the concept.

@Foxclover - Yeah the texture transfer thing is super useful! You can also use it to paint on say an unwrapped version that has no seams but is inefficiently unwrapped and then transfer that over to an unwrapped version that is cut up to fit the square space better.
  • Blender2Dota
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Snowstorm and foxclover. I am just waiting for feedback from Brenoully to see what our next move will be.

Here is the tutorial I promised to foxclover.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V78IJ00sTYs&"]Change UVs and keep textures (Blender) - YouTube[/ame]
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    sorry if didnt make it too clear.

i added on the rules now that weapons are not alowed, even if they are not on the weapon slot. do you guys think that is ok like that?

That's cool, time to start a new item!
  • Blender2Dota
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK - that back slot for Axe turned out great btw. I really like how you gave the painted decal on the shield some extra specular - looks great.
  • Psych
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The shoulders are quite finished, masks are the only thing remaining and will test it ingame.

rxrt.jpg

s0eg.jpg
  • Psych
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Everything is done, model works fine ingame. Enjoy and vote if you like it ;)

Link to workshop: Pauldron of the Archmage

ibsj.jpgz0hk.jpguzzh.jpg
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    been working on the lich wheel, gone be done soon.
    here is how i devidet the concept into optimal parts for texture space usage.
    the yellow parts are unique the other ones are all duplicates.

tumblr_mwde8c57651sljkhxo2_500.jpg

finished the bakes, now only need to place the duplicates fix some baking errors and finish up the textures.

tumblr_mwde8c57651sljkhxo1_1280.jpg
  • Noblebatterfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noblebatterfly polycounter lvl 10
    Goeddy wrote: »
    been working on the lich wheel, gone be done soon.
    here is how i devidet the concept into optimal parts for texture space usage.
    the yellow parts are unique the other ones are all duplicates.

finished the bakes, now only need to place the duplicates fix some baking errors and finish up the textures.

lich stole kunnka's steering wheel
  • Snowstorm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowstorm polycounter lvl 5
    So I decided to try and do an item this month after all - if I finish this on time I'll probably take next month off.

Did a concept and a test low poly first to see if the rigging would work.

AGWvvcP.jpg

And then did a simple sculpt base with subpatches.

Ri1d8qx.jpg
  • foxclover
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is the tutorial I promised to foxclover.
    Change UVs and keep textures (Blender) - YouTube
    My god, that is incredibly easy and useful! This'll really save me a lot of time, thank you so much for the tutorial. :)

@goeddy: It kind of looks like lich is bound to the wheel

@snowstorm: Wow, that's definitely cool. How does it move in game?
  • ike_ike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ike_ike polycounter lvl 12
    this month i'll totally even finish an entry i swear.

doing some nice crawlers for sand king. this slot has a pretty hilarious polycount so i decided to make the lod 1 first to make sure i didn't sculpt something overly ambitious.

original concepts

some modeling. took a few iterations to make something that wasn't too armour-ish

and bam!

5lQH4

with some lazy gradients slapped onto it. not sure bout the colour of the spikes at the moment, i'll figure it out after sculpting.

tune into the polycount hangout later tonight to watch ike wrestle with zbrush!
  • Bernoully
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bernoully polycounter lvl 4
    Excuse me for the repost, I just wanted to drop an update on the completed shield Blender2Dota and I were working on. Pic links to the Workshop entry:

Heart of the Fundamental
    Modelled by Blender2Dota, and concept by me

mxuk46P.jpg

bCuNEn3.jpg

kfQF8tJ.gif
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @bernoully - nice touch with the wisp on the shield =]

@blended to dota - im adding your tutorial to the tutorial thead, is that ok for you?
  • Blender2Dota
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, absolutely. I am also working on a guide to show a beginner how to make items with an all free software workflow. Unfortunately it will be in english only but I am working to make it as understandable as possible. I am not very far in the series yet, but when it is complete I will ask you to add it to the tutorials.
  • polarbear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I worked a lot on texturing my weaver back, but sadly it doesn't look a lot like the original texture, so I probably have to edit it a lot or just start anew.

I could really use some feedback now, so get at it! =)
    uRHH0RS.jpg
    When I'm done with textures I'll get to skinning. Is there any tutorial on how to do that in a smart/easy way? weaver's back has quite a few bones with different weights...
  • ike_ike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    5mZcF.png

further fun with creepy crawlers. turns out the default legs are super dark so the textures don't have to be too complicated. some weird lighting things ingame, to be figured out eventually.
  • Sjabba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi!
    This is my WIP
    for a belt for faceless void

mostly the texturing remains

USDjiJO.jpg

Cheers

~Sjabba
  • oxhid3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oxhid3 polycounter lvl 4
    hey there!
    will offhands items do?!

such as Lions Big Hand?:)
  • Vayne4800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 polycounter lvl 3
    I think that kinda borderline weapon. Though this is imo.
  • oxhid3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oxhid3 polycounter lvl 4
    before I start, I'll w8 some other opinion!
    ty
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    I'm pretty sure that's considered a weapon.
  • oxhid3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oxhid3 polycounter lvl 4
    as you guys already said in the topic head cannot be considered this month,
    but is "Mask of the Enforcer" (by mihalceanu) ok?!

I was also thinking about DS head and if all good, I'd Like to proceed with it!
    ty
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    Well it's a head slot so it goes against the rules of this competition. I don't think mihalceanu entered his Mask of the Enforcer in this months competition did he?
  • oxhid3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oxhid3 polycounter lvl 4
    oh, I got mislead by the date and the logo,
    anyways I got it! :D
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    Seems like we haven't had anywhere near as many entries this month!

Here is a WIP of some Doom wings I decided to start today crits welcomed! They are obviously in the early stages but I plan on "demoning" them up with chains and such.

c3RBkW4.jpg

EDIT: GODDAMNIT. Here is a tip people, always read the bio first....
  • Vayne4800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soon mate, soon! Nice shapes on the wings.
  • oxhid3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oxhid3 polycounter lvl 4
    Hey there,
    I always wanted to make something for Svens Right Shoulder,
    so here it is,
    this should be bound to "back"
    22maol.jpg
  • ike_ike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    T5bqDI4.gif

it's go time!

scaled the leg stingers up a bit, noodled around with the masks.

the new model viewer is glorious
  • Vayne4800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What new model viewer?
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oxhid3 wrote: »
    hey there!
    will offhands items do?!

such as Lions Big Hand?:)

sorry man, as mdk said, the slot is called Offhand Weapon on almost all the character with 2 weapons
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seems like we haven't had anywhere near as many entries this month!

Here is a WIP of some Doom wings I decided to start today crits welcomed! They are obviously in the early stages but I plan on "demoning" them up with chains and such.

c3RBkW4.jpg

EDIT: GODDAMNIT. Here is a tip people, always read the bio first....

yep, this month is not an easy one, but i think its good to make people think a little out of the common area.

what problem did you had with the lore?
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oxhid3 wrote: »
    Hey there,
    I always wanted to make something for Svens Right Shoulder,
    so here it is,
    this should be bound to "back"
    22maol.jpg

check if there is no other slot with cosmetics that will collide with your shoulder

for example in my PA set, i had a belt that was colliding with my shoulder piece (because i decided to make an armor on the shoulder slot) and i had to make some changes so both could be used at the same time
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    yep, this month is not an easy one, but i think its good to make people think a little out of the common area.

what problem did you had with the lore?

It says his wings have been burned to stumps. I'm going to finish it anyway, it's just my alternate version of his lore :)
  • Snowstorm
  • Ootrick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ootrick polycounter lvl 6
    ikQTqDm.jpg

Looking good guys, keep it up!
  • ike_ike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    finished! wooo

268x268.resizedimage

KvKuBU1.gif

@Ootrick: wrong thread? really nice silhouette nonetheless
  • oxhid3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oxhid3 polycounter lvl 4
    Tvidotto

I have already tested it a while ago with another shoulder which was part of a set..

and by the way this is my new update so far, A lot to do, but I take it slowly to the end :D
    16iw7ef.jpg
  • oxhid3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oxhid3 polycounter lvl 4
    here are some texture corrections
    1z6zas7.jpg
  • cagdasx44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    İts has been a long time since I started to do something;
    but here is my arm for alch (too much Bane??)
    7c5m.jpg
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    Looks interesting cagdasx44! What are you planning for it to be?

Here is some progress on my wings, I know they don't fit the lore but in my version of the lore, he has had his wings bound by unbreakable chains and nailed together to prevent them from working. Here it is, would love some feeback!

ZB234ts.jpg
  • cagdasx44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks interesting cagdasx44! What are you planning for it to be?

Here is some progress on my wings, I know they don't fit the lore but in my version of the lore, he has had his wings bound by unbreakable chains and nailed together to prevent them from working. Here it is, would love some feeback!
    I am thinking about metal pipes and green liquid it wil glow ingame with masks
    Btw your wings looks awesome. I wish ı could use zbrush like you
  • Ootrick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ootrick polycounter lvl 6
    MdK:

The wings are looking better, the chains aren't doing much though, just surface noise. They appear to be draped over the wing rather than binding them. If the theme for the wings are binding chains, make the binds you currently have smaller and the chains bigger with more more influence on how they are actually holding the wings together. It's going to take a while to get it right, I assume your using Insert multi curves, if that's the case try simply placeing them first and then using your move/deformations to get the tightness/gravity right.

Edit:

Look into making a custom chain mesh, there are great and easy ways to make insert multi meshes, you could make a very nice stylized chain. Using ZB's stock database is boring man!

cagdasx44:

Love the idea of injection, very cool!

oxhid3:

The shoulders are looking better for sure. Personally I'd like to see the battle scars on the shoulders be generally bigger and have 2 variations. The small black scratches aren't very "epic battle torn" rather minor scratches, besides what blade/weapon would be that thin?

Not to be harsh folks just making sure you get some constructive crits and perspective, does not mean i'm right. :) Keep on' truckin' <3
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    Ootrick wrote: »
    MdK:

The wings are looking better, the chains aren't doing much though, just surface noise. They appear to be draped over the wing rather than binding them. If the theme for the wings are binding chains, make the binds you currently have smaller and the chains bigger with more more influence on how they are actually holding the wings together. It's going to take a while to get it right, I assume your using Insert multi curves, if that's the case try simply placeing them first and then using your move/deformations to get the tightness/gravity right.

Edit:

Look into making a custom chain mesh, there are great and easy ways to make insert multi meshes, you could make a very nice stylized chain. Using ZB's stock database is boring man!

No I see what you are saying totally, I love getting any feeback, good or bad! To tell you the truth, the chains caused me some big problems. I initially used an insert multi curves chain brush that I got from www.badking.com.au but it just would not go into position and was really frustrating to use. Maybe there is some technique to getting them to work properly that I couldn't grasp. Every time I tried to bring them into place, the tiniest movement might make everything fly out of place and make you have to start again.

I literally spent all day yesterday trying to get it to work. In the end I just made the chains in Maya and imported them. I'll definitely experiment with them some more though so thanks!
  • cagdasx44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a quick work of high poly for my alch arm (critism and suggestions welcomed)
    rtdz.jpg
    ı dont know what to do with pipes should ı make them old?
    btw ı didnt touch the formula holding part because it will be all green with some air bubbles.
  • oxhid3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oxhid3 polycounter lvl 4
    Ootrick:
    thanks,
    you are right, big scratches would make it look a bit more "epic battle torn"
    I imagined arrows hit Sven-s Armor rather than big "craters" created by those huge weapons,
    and honestly after 200+ masks tests I think I like it the way it is, will post soon

MDK:
    I like those chains, could you link the two wings by the chains to enhance more the impossibility of flying (or would that involve some rigging and animation processes?)
  • cagdasx44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    0r5y.jpg
    a quick paint and ingame
    69x1.jpg
    btw ı was think names like Power Booster or Addicted to Power
  • oxhid3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oxhid3 polycounter lvl 4
    cagdasx44