Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

115 Madison Avenue in the Style of "The Division"

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
NomadSoul2501 polycounter lvl 10
Final scene update:

Hi everyone, it's time to call this project done.
It's been a tremendous learning experience and a lot of fun.
I am quite happy with how it turned out.
There is a lot of things I would have done differently where I to start over but one must stop at some point.

Thank you all for your amazing and encouraging feedback :smile: 

Edit 2016: Updated the video links

0yd2jpg
f28ajpg
c8fsjpg
ak9kjpg
yqx9jpg
rc6njpg
jv3ujpg
e9gdjpg

I am looking into packaging everything up and offering it for download but I don't know what I'd have to upload for a UE4 version. As soon as I figure it out I'll post it.

Thank you all and see you next project :smile: 

Original Post:

Hi everyone, happy 4th of July :smile: 

Last E3 was full of surprises, one of them was Ubisoft's new game 'The Division'. I love the art style and want to try and create a scene that evokes a similar mood.

I chose a real life setting as my jumping off point and will then make it match the setting of the game.

yawvjpg

I was thinking of going for a snowy night setting.
From what we have seen so far, I believe the game is set in winter after christmas (the lights are still up).

I want to recreate the corner facing the convenience store.
There are still many questions that need answering and I'm far from finalizing the asset list.

Below, you can see a rough blockout with some notes:

qftfjpg

Some ideas I'm still toying around with are:
> Should there be a damaged EMT tent, that the truck crashed into?
> Should the intersection be one of those cobbled raised intersections?
It's not there in real life but it would make for a more interesting pattern on the snow.
>Should I add a withered tree anywhere in there?

Anything goes and I would appreciate any feedback.

Cheers,

Replies

• Hamish Bode
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good man! :) This one takes pride of place in my bookmarks bar.
  • NomadSoul2501
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you hamish :)
    I think I can call this done soon.
  • Sardu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sardu polycounter lvl 5
    Oh man, did you actually model all that detail into the manhole cover? I bet in the actual game it's just a normal based on a reference photo. ;)
  • NomadSoul2501
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Sardu,

There are four different manhole covers.
    Of course in the game they are just simple geometry but I created High res versions of all of them and used them to create my maps.
    There is very little photosourcing going on in the scene in most textures.
    If any it'll be a 10-20% overlay to add some definition.
  • Cglewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cglewis polycounter lvl 12
    wow this is looking spectacular! the only thing i will say that is jumping out at me is that the reference image feels wetter than what you have, but other than that killer work man! i love the clutter of the scene and can not wait to see it snow :D
  • kay-vonlanthen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kay-vonlanthen polycounter lvl 7
    sry for the late reply (work at school). Im not sure yet :p im kind of paranoid posting pictures haha. because i posted pictures on zbrush central and later i wanted to take them down but the staff told me i cant delete them, which is a bummer man. well see , actually i should :)
    btw whats your name? can i add u somewhere more "social" if u dont mind?
  • NomadSoul2501
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey,

Another quick update.
    As promised here's a video preview.
    I started work on the particle systems.
    Please let me know what you think.

[vv]87350888[/vv]
    https://vimeo.com/87350888
  • NomadSoul2501
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi everyone :)

I decided to revisit tessellation and added some displacement to the snow. I'm very happy with how it turned out :)
    The problem now is how to get it to tessellate smoothly across geometry seams.
    The UVs are lined up and the textures all line up as well but still there's seams.
    Does anyone know of any workarounds to address that?

vir0.jpg
    33ut.jpg

Please drop a comment and let me know if you can think of a way to fix that.
    If you haven't yet, check out the preview fly through with some particle systems added.

Cheers
  • NomadSoul2501
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey all, it's the weekend :)
    Time for another update.
    As requested, there are now abandoned cars littering the roads :)
    Also, I followed Progg's amazing thread on how to do a tangent to world fall of material and the solution suggested by polycounter Vailias (http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87452) and now there is snow on the trashpiles, debris and cars.

rjpk.jpg4jh2.jpg

Here's another shot of the cars. They are very low res but the camera will never get that close.
    6cpo.jpg

For reference on where the cameras will be in the final fly-through check out the video preview, two posts above.

Cheers :)
  • JamesMeader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesMeader polycounter lvl 9
    awesome thread NomadSoul2501, very inspiring. Going to find this very useful when its come to getting to work on my own UDK environment. Thanks. Keep up the good work.
  • urgaffel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    urgaffel polycounter lvl 17
    It's looking good but I think you might have gone a bit too over the top with the debris piles in the first image. It looks as if a building has exploded but the surrounding buildings are all intact so where did it all come from? I mean you don't have to account for every brick and board, but it would be good to see at least a hint at where it might have come from. The first shot also feels a bit like a minature because of the angle and dof...
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    a little bit of fog(smoke) would give the scene more depth! otherwise,woho NICE!
  • desktoppirate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    desktoppirate polycounter lvl 11
    One thing I noticed straight away is the smoke from the flares/small fires looks like its being blown in strong wind, while the falling snow is gently falling pretty straight down. I'd also say the flakes are a little large.

Looking nice overall though :)
  • NomadSoul2501
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the feedback everyone :)

Urgaffel:
    I dropped the DOF from a kernel size of 4 down to a 2 and set it back another 800 units. You're right, some destruction on some of the buildings would look nice.
    The concept had some areas that suggested rebar so that would mean that severe property damage must have occurred somewhere. I'll knock the buildings around a bit and see what falls off :)

Wirrexx:
    I adjusted the heightfog intensity up and the color shifted to a 'colder' blue.

Desktoppirate:
    One of the reasons for the concept was the flares and how the smoke billowed off to one side. But you are right, the snow doesn't match. I adjusted the snow to have a blizzard like quality and pulling strongly to one side. I looks a lot better now :)
  • urgaffel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    urgaffel polycounter lvl 17
    Regarding the dof, have a look at street photography and look at how people use/don't use dof. The photo thread here on Polycount has some amazing photography in it, but you could just head over to flickr/google images and have a quick browse. It might help to have a photo or two for lens/dof reference (i.e. not scene reference)
  • NomadSoul2501
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Made a little time lapse video of the process I used to make the larger garbage piles.
    [vv]88351764[/vv]

You can find a more detailed breakdown on my blog, including settings for the cloth.
    http://www.g-cg.com/blog/
  • NomadSoul2501
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi, another update.
    There's still work being done to everything.
    Trying to dirty and beat up the scene some more.

Latest changes:
    Toned down DOF
    Finally got AA working, it was in the wrong place in the PPC
    Tripled the snow particles and increased their speed to match the smoke of the flares
    Fixed tessellation errors
    Finished textures on the Academy of Arts building
    121 Madison Ave building textures 50%
    Added construction rigging similar to the one in the concept to the building behind the Italian eatery.
    Added branches and foliage to the trees
    Added burn damage to 121 Madison Ave
    All windows have been moved over to the new format
    Added dirt and brake damage to the street level windows

ybfl.jpgvvam.jpg

Still lots to do but it's slowly getting there :)
    Grafiti decals are planned to dirty up the buildings some more.
    Do you think I should add structural damage?

Cheers
  • [Deleted User]
    I really love this but i';ll be honest it's looking a little TOO messy, my eyes have nowhere to rest!
  • LSheridan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LSheridan polycounter lvl 6
    This is fantastic stuff.

The only thing I feel I should mention is the lack of structural damage, which you just mentioned. There is a lot of metal and wood at the corners of the buildings, but the buildings are still intact. Kind of looks like someone just flew by and dropped a bunch of junk there, rather than them coming from in the vicinity. Maybe less metal girders and more large stone bricks laying around to alleviate the noise?
  • NomadSoul2501
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the critique :)

To be honest, I don't know in what direction to take the damage.
    The way I thought about it, the rioters just tore off whatever they could get their hands on, so that would be window frames, traffic posts, anything that isn't nailed down inside the buildings they looted etc.
    That's why there is so much wooden boards and metal rods.
    I figured they where probably unarmed and would not have the ability to do any damage to the heavy stone structures.

But it does need something and looking around for images from riots there would have to be some seriously heavy fighting going on involving military grade equipment to damage the buildings. They would have to be completely burned out too.

For now, I'll remove some of the noise in the debris and dirty up the buildings (grafiti, cracks etc) some more.
    If you have any ideas on how/what damage to the buildings could come to from an unarmed mob please let me know. I want to do this right but can't think of anything.
  • Mossbros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mossbros polycounter lvl 9
    The scene looks really great at where it is now, but the only thing that I would say effects the authenticity of the scene is the lack of actual snow geometry that sits on objects.

I can see you've faked it a lot using textures but there's really no real depth to the snow that's supposed to have fallen on the objects.

I'm not entirely sure on how you would achieve this (Add snow to geo prior to engine or something?.) But it can defiantly be seen in the division which really goes towards the realism factor.
  • NomadSoul2501
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone,

So as we all know last week was xmas :D
    I picked up Unreal Engine 4 and started toying with it.
    Eventually I started porting my scene into UE4.
    I spent a day reading through documentation and watching tutorials and another
    getting the base city pieces in so this is still very early.

3gzp.jpg
  • SanderDL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SanderDL polycounter lvl 7
    The snow on the road looks really good. But I think there could be some snow in the rest of the scene. Especially because it is snowing right now.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    I think the snow is far too neatly piled. It tends to either get packed into sheet ice by cars, or turned into dirty brown slush.
  • NomadSoul2501
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi :)
    The UE4 conversion is almost done.
    I still need to add some of the particle effects and the cloth.
    For this version I also reworked some of the snow quality, added more snow buildup on areas where there was a lot of tight surfaces to smooth out the noise of the debris and added slushy/dirty snow to the sidewalks.
    I didn't dirty the snow on the streets up too much as I increased the number of snow falling and even though not everything is covered yet, I feel that it snows enough to cover the dirty areas up. If you feel it's still too clean I can go back and add some more dirt though.
    evgk.jpg
    fdw8.jpg
    nygh.jpg
    rytx.jpg

Let me know what you think :)
  • Slave_zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slave_zero polycounter lvl 8
    i have to say that the scene feels a bit cluttered at the moment. When I compare the environments from the devision to yours I see a major difference in player guidance.

While the devision has some really high-detail environments I got the feeling that this is never distracting the player from points of interests, paths / passages and the like, instead the details and assets are very clever used to guide the player.

Your last screenshots have a lack of visual guidance in my opinion. Nearly all areas are equally lit, exept the area beneath the street light. This particular area pops out the most but seems to me very unimportant from a gameplay or narative standpoint.

Looking back to the devision trailer, places like the corner shop, the abandoned car with the blinking lights, the tunnel entrance or the passage leading to the police station all had a unique way of communicating that they are points of interest. E.g.: The black car with the lights blinking in the alley could have been a location to find a tool or some kind of supply, at least it was there to guide the player to the next intersection. The shop at the first intersection had distinctive lighting setup to set it apart from the rest of the scene. The tunnel with orange lights and smoke effects did the same. The burning car down the street to the police-station was also a hint to follow this route.

What I basicly want to say: Your scene is very detailed, for my taste a bit too much cluttered with rubble and could use the following things:

1. 1-2 destinctive assets that really pop out and give some visual landmarks. Those must not be too small. E.g.: the orange ladder-lift-thingy in the alley, or the yellow taxi
    2. 1-2 Points of interest: A corner shop that could be entered, an open entrance to the subway. Add things to your scene that will guide the player to those places.
    3. a bit less repetitive rubble ;)
  • NomadSoul2501
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Slave_zero,
    Thank you for the extensive critique, I really appreciate it.
    Lighting has always been my weakest link.
    I will try to focus more lighting to the store and experiment with removing some pieces of rubble and breaking it up with some bigger more distinct pieces.

There is a reason for the strong focus of the street light, I am planning on adding a message board to the side of the building kinda like the Crysis2 trailer did where there where missing posters and messages for loved ones. Then in the rubble under the light, there will be a lost teddy bear wearing splinter cell goggles.

What I can't decide about the messaging area is if I want to have the messages straight on the wall or if someone propped up a board for that purpose.
  • NomadSoul2501
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Time for another update.
    I reworked the debris reducing it by more than half across the scene and replacing it in other areas by bigger more distinct pieces. Also reworked the lighting a bit and added another light to the truck to draw the eye more to that area.

I exported a new flythrough so that you can see how the individual areas work in their respective shots.
    [vv]90645883[/vv]

Also, here's a before/after shot though this isn't an angle that will be used in the final flythrough.
    9zxt.jpg
  • luge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luge polycounter lvl 4
    i like it, good colors, nice composition with the layout. certain camera flythrough seem kind of weird, like the flythrough over the debris. and something thats bugging me is that the shots seem kinda fuzzy or blurry to me. but thats probably just me.
  • NomadSoul2501
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It isn't, it's bugging me too.
    It gets fuzzy after uploading it to vimeo :(
    I'm trying to find a way to fix it though, the final should have better quality encoding.

Anywho, what would you change about the flyover the debris pile?
    Should I scrap it altogether?
  • luge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luge polycounter lvl 4
    the flyover for the debris field just seems kinda random, at least up-close like it is. since theres a lot of debris, and its so close, it looks very chaotic in comparison to the other shots. so personally, i'd scrap that part of the flyover.
  • NomadSoul2501
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok :)
    I'll see what I can do, I had an idea to hide some eastereggs in it but I might scrap it or do another shot instead.
    Thank you
  • luge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luge polycounter lvl 4
    well, if you pull the camera back a bit more and leave more street in the view, it should fix up the composition of the shot more.
  • serriffe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    serriffe polycounter lvl 9
    looks great man! it has been awhile since I last saw your stuff ;]
  • Synen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synen polycounter lvl 7
    Dude this is looking amazing man, keep it up
  • NomadSoul2501
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback guys :)
    I decided that this is a good stopping point, I'm ready to call it done.
    Here's a last WIP video, whatever feedback I get this weekend will be incorporated and then I'll post final renders.

@luge, I shortened the shot over the debris but left the camera almost the same, you'll see why :)

Since the last version, I reworked some of the shaders, textured some final objects that remained un-textured and added some Easter eggs. The graffiti on the wall was inspired by the painting mini-game found in Infamous, the character is from the original The Division concept I used to make this piece. It still needs some love as the current Unreal 4 solution decals doesn't do well with translucency.

[vv]91763231[/vv]

Please let me know what you think and what Easter eggs you can find in the scene :)
    They're not all as obvious ;)
  • MaatKara
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The first time I saw it, the Christmas lights seemed to be a little bit too bright...
    Looks awesome thought! :)
  • bunneh13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bunneh13 polycounter lvl 3
    Hi, I'm really liking the look of this but there are one or two things I have an issue with. First, my main one is the rubble what is it? Where has it come from what happened to cause this? Scenes tell stories, try to suggest this in your scene. The division has a lot of clutter and rubble but it makes scene, snowed over road signs/barricades, lots of rubbish bags after there where no where left to put them, boxes with evictee's belongings,tires piled as temp barricades ect.

Try telling the story with your props.
  • NomadSoul2501
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi everyone, it's time to call this project done.
    It's been a tremendous learning experience and a lot of fun.
    I am quite happy with how it turned out.
    There is a lot of things I would have done differently where I to start over but one must stop at some point.

Thank you all for your amazing and encouraging feedback :)

[vv]91905881[/vv]
    0yd2.jpg
    f28a.jpg
    lt6pk.jpg
    c8fs.jpg
    ak9k.jpg
    x2sp.jpg
    yqx9.jpg
    rc6n.jpg
    jv3u.jpg
    e9gd.jpg

I am looking into packaging everything up and offering it for download but I don't know what I'd have to upload for a UE4 version. As soon as I figure it out I'll post it.

Thank you all and see you next project :)
  • luge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luge polycounter lvl 4
    I love how this turned out, I could definitely suggest a few things that could have made it a tad bit better. but, this is definitely a good stopping point. it looks gorgeous, and I love the easter eggs (the splinter cell head gear and raving rabbid!). what I would suggest though, is that the "graffiti" on the wall, (I used quotations cause i'm not quite sure its graffiti) stands out a lot, looks more like a sticker or something was placed on the wall, and its also kind of blurry.

but thats it, great flythroughs, love how you changed up the one of the debris, and I can't wait to see your next project.
  • MaatKara
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, this looks great! :)
  • Bladers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bladers polycounter lvl 3
    so do you have any plan to release this to the market place
  • JamieRIOT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamieRIOT polycounter lvl 6
    Not quite sure how I missed this one.
    I think the final result is really good, I love the little references to other Ubisoft games in the scene. Overall a really solid environment, any crits would be subjective in my opinion.
    Well done.
  • NomadSoul2501
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone :)

Thank you JamieRIOT for your kind words.

Haven't worked on this since I called it done a while ago but with all the advancements in UE4 since, I wanted to see what has changed.

To my dismay I found that I had forgotten to invert two of my most reused normal maps and other numerous blunders. So I spent a little more time one it than (2 days) than I thought I would.

What came out on the other end though, really surprised me. My skills/assets haven't gotten any better but the new features inside Unreal really impressed me.
    Anyway, here's a direct side by side comparison of UE 4.2 and UE 4.6

VZC6Yg.jpg

Cheers
  • Mathew O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    Looks great man! Keep kicking ass :D