Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

115 Madison Avenue in the Style of "The Division"

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
NomadSoul2501 polycounter lvl 10
Final scene update:

Hi everyone, it's time to call this project done.
It's been a tremendous learning experience and a lot of fun.
I am quite happy with how it turned out.
There is a lot of things I would have done differently where I to start over but one must stop at some point.

Thank you all for your amazing and encouraging feedback :smile: 

Edit 2016: Updated the video links

0yd2jpg
f28ajpg
c8fsjpg
ak9kjpg
yqx9jpg
rc6njpg
jv3ujpg
e9gdjpg

I am looking into packaging everything up and offering it for download but I don't know what I'd have to upload for a UE4 version. As soon as I figure it out I'll post it.

Thank you all and see you next project :smile: 

Original Post:

Hi everyone, happy 4th of July :smile: 

Last E3 was full of surprises, one of them was Ubisoft's new game 'The Division'. I love the art style and want to try and create a scene that evokes a similar mood.

I chose a real life setting as my jumping off point and will then make it match the setting of the game.

yawvjpg

I was thinking of going for a snowy night setting.
From what we have seen so far, I believe the game is set in winter after christmas (the lights are still up).

I want to recreate the corner facing the convenience store.
There are still many questions that need answering and I'm far from finalizing the asset list.

Below, you can see a rough blockout with some notes:

qftfjpg

Some ideas I'm still toying around with are:
> Should there be a damaged EMT tent, that the truck crashed into?
> Should the intersection be one of those cobbled raised intersections?
It's not there in real life but it would make for a more interesting pattern on the snow.
>Should I add a withered tree anywhere in there?

Anything goes and I would appreciate any feedback.

Cheers,

Replies

• Mathew O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    I'm really enjoying this project man, keep on trucking. Fingers crossed you get a job offer soon :)
  • PikabobAlex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello, some question here...how you deal with the cars?
    Because I'm doing a Environment in UDK just like you, but only one building.
  • NomadSoul2501
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi, everyone.

Sorry for the slow update turnaround.
    Whatever time I have next to job-hunting I spend sculpting some new maps :)

Thank you for the well wishes Mathew O, I hope massive will have new openings soon. That would be so amazing :D

Hi PikabobAlex, I am building the scene around a single car wreck.
    A pickup that crashed into the general store.
    My hope is that after I fill the scene up with more debris I will not need more cars.
    But the E3 gameplay footage from 'The Division' had cars all over the place so who knows I might have to make a couple more :)

Cheers
  • NomadSoul2501
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi :)

After a long drought, I can finally post a new update.

Being new to sculpting, a lot of my time got taken up by a 12x32 tile brick wall.
    It was a very meditative experience and I'm certain I could have gone about it a lot smarter.

I generated a tile heightmap in Photoshop and used that to displace a plane in Mudbox, then I went over each brick individually and touched it up to make it look unique. I am certain there are better methods out there. If you know any, please share :)

So here are the results of my first two tiling wall sculpts:
    d8ef.jpg
    17b0.jpg
    cabk.jpg

And here are the latest scene renders.
    To mark the season, I added a first draft on the Christmas decorations and further adjusted the lighting. The DOF is almost non existent replaced by a lot of 'nightly' atmospheric heightfog.

qf5d.jpg
    imq1.jpg

Please let me know what you think.
    I also want to thank The Division Community Wrap-Up for taking interest in this project and keeping me on track :)

Cheers
  • Cglewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cglewis polycounter lvl 12
    i really like what you have done here! STRONG WORK! especially with the brick sculpting i would almost say push it some more!!! The new lights look really good! i would maybe add more color to them to give it the christmasy feel

the stop light texture is prlly a wip but it looks brand new add some sweet wear marks and weathering effects to it, but man i must say this looks really good!

lol i wanna see more of the destroyed scaffolding area lol!!

Good work man, cant wait to see more!
  • NomadSoul2501
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the comments :)

Yes, the stop light is still all blockout.
    I took a break from sculpting to do some more UVs.

(Drum-roll) Building 'Filler_C' is back in the scene!!! (applause) :)
    Though originally only a filler, it has turned into my favorite building in this intersection.

Next I will attempt a first crack at the road.
    I have been putting it off for what seems ages as the complexity of it seems overwhelming.
    There's at least two different states of asphalt (relatively intact, patched up and damaged) there's pre-construction markings on the asphalt and on top of that there's slushy snow with tire marks and footprints...

But for now, the current scene updates, I added a cubemap to the glass and fake interiors using bump offset. The cubemap is stock udk and is only temporary as are the images used for the interiors.
    sjbj.jpg
    0q1y.jpg

Also, I have been running into this issue when building my lights.
    The lightmap LODs appear to be jumpy.
    Below, I'm adding an image to illustrate.
    Has anyone run into this issue before?
    wwbr.jpg

Any pointers towards a solution would be appreciated.

Cheers :)
  • [Deleted User]
    Great project, bookmarked!

How did you do that rippling glass effect? It looks really interesting.
  • NomadSoul2501
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you Yuze, it's just a normal map that I modify the tiling off with a TexCoord node. Then I Multiply the norm by a constant. In the end you plug it into the Distortion channel.
    Of course once I get to material definition that exaggerated effect will get the ax, but if you wan't to do something like that, that's how you do it.

My first attempt at an asphalt texture failed miserably.
    I don't even dare to post a shot here, lol
    Even with a 4096 the texture res was abysmal :(

I am very intrigued how Massive handles their procedural shader.
    How would the road shader know what direction to lay down tire treads?

Right now I'm considering a layered approach with several tiled base textures, lots of masks and decals/projectors. I'll try some tests and post them once I have something.

Do you think maybe I should do the road as a Landscape?

Cheers
  • NomadSoul2501
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The second test went considerably better.
    All textures involved are still early blockout but at least I figured out a way how to layer everything together :)

a6r8.jpg

Now I need to think about how to get all the snow in there.
    Originally I was thinking of vert-painting it but I want to experiment with some depth effects and see if I cant get it to procedurally appear where there's geometry intersecting.
  • luthyn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luthyn polycounter lvl 8
    This is looking AMAZING so far man, keep up the good work :). Also pumped to see how you handle the snow.:)
  • urgaffel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    urgaffel polycounter lvl 17
    Regarding procedural tyre tracks... I think that unless they have vehicles that leave tyre tracks behind, they will be part of the textures. Either through decals or a separate layer in the shader with tyre tracks (most likely some sort of decals though). Then there's probably some clever shader magic to make them behave properly when the snow increases and so on but I doubt very much that the tracks are procedural. As for vehicles, they usually leave poly strips behind that have a tiling texture on them which fades out either based on time or based on the amount of tracks (oldest gets culled when a new one is needed).
  • NomadSoul2501
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Merry Christmas everyone!

Urgaffel, you are definitely right.
    The features video looked very impressive where they showcased the weather effects.
    I've been trying to get a rough snow placement using destdepth but that only works on translucent objects.

The plan now is to vertpaint different types of snow and then use projectors to mask any seams. Right now the roads are on hold and I spent some time texturing and doing some sculpts on my new tablet :)

Here is the latest progress:
    gajd.jpg
    q1jb.jpg
    kfsv.jpg
    xxrz.jpg

This has been the first time I have packed so many different materials onto one texture. I definitely underestimated how much time it would take to do it.

Also, the Assassins purchased 112 Madison Avenue and moved in over the Art Gallery that's on the ground floor. I'd have expected those boys to be more covert but there you have it...

Cheers
  • NomadSoul2501
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another quick update.
    Got the UVd sidewalks in :)

rbdy.jpg

Of course the final texture will have a dirt layer and snow piling up.
    Right now I need to work on the dirt between the individual stones and add some 'construction graffiti' to them.

Next I'll get to the props, such as the news stand, the riot blocks and the traffic light.

Cheers
  • Treboras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Treboras polycounter lvl 12
    It's coming along very nicely, but please give this poor round street corner some more polys :D
  • Foxhound[DEV]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Foxhound[DEV] polycounter lvl 5
    Looks fantastic mate, starting to come along quite nicely.

Good job man
  • NomadSoul2501
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thy wish be my command, lol
    Good catch on the corner, I got a tad overzealous trying to save polys.

dwbh.jpg

Cheers
  • Treboras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I got a tad overzealous trying to save polys.

Fully embrace the next-gen polycounts! :D
  • NomadSoul2501
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi :)

Got another couple of objects textured.
    They're both on the same map so here they are together.

I played around with dDO for these, what a terrific tool!
    Is there a way to get it to respect UV seams?
    I had to do quite some creative painting and turn off the drop shadow on most of effects.

ob7b.jpg
    chf9.jpg

Cheers
  • NomadSoul2501
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And finally I have made a dumpster.
    That was almost everyone's first model in college but somehow I never made one until now. This needs to be good, so please don't hold back with critiques for this or anything else you see on this project:)

i9we.jpg

Cheers
  • Cglewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cglewis polycounter lvl 12
    wow everything looks great!!! the env looks awesome, the textures seem to be spot on! same with the props your showcasing! the only things i would say is that the dumpster looks really new..... this is one of the only images i was able to grab the link to my work internet seems to have a thing against dumpsters....http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7a/Dumpsters.jpg
    i would say this might be a tad over the top but maybe a good place to start to blend the what you have now with what is shown in the image

but the model looks very solid!!! i cant wait to see more keep it up!!

and its interesting the white stuff on only one of the sides....or is that just light reflection of the render?
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rurouni Strife polycounter lvl 10
    Glad to see you're still working on this. I'm excited for when you layer on the details. For now it's looking very much like something I'd see in GTA.

Some of your buildings do seem to be saving a bit much on the polys. I'd say screw it-if it's at camera level add some detail.
  • NomadSoul2501
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the comments :)

Cglewis: The areas you mention are scratches along the edges. Since the paint there has peeled, the specular values are higher.

Rurouni Strife: I have made the comparison to GTA as well, lol
    What type of detail would you add to the buildings?
    Right now I can only think of roughing them up.
    However this is not so far into the future like, lets say, the last of us.
    This is present day NY after a couple of riots, that's also why the dumpster is in fairly good condition.

Presently I'm redoing the garbage piles and will be posting those soon :)

Cheers
  • NomadSoul2501
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It took a while, but time for another update :)

The garbage piles are in the scene and I feel they are already adding a lot to address the emptiness of the scene.

94cd.jpg
    01m3.jpg

I also made a tree to help break-up the emptiness of Madison Avenue North.
    As always I would love to hear all of your thoughts.

Cheers
  • snake85027
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snake85027 polycounter lvl 18
    looks great, keep it u
  • Bladers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bladers polycounter lvl 3
    looking better and better.
  • Treboras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    detail is coming along very nicely! Adds a lot!

I would leave some leaves (lol) on the tree, because there is no indication with the story why there should be no organic life and I think it could add some nice color, that normally is not that present in this urban environment.
  • NomadSoul2501
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for pointing that out, Treboras.
    I agree, it would definitely benefit from some leaves.
    Since it's winter it wont be many but in my next round on the tree I will be adding some smaller branches and leaves :)
  • kay-vonlanthen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kay-vonlanthen polycounter lvl 7
    omg dude! you are insane!! :) ever since ubisoft posted this thred on fb i followed it and checked back every couple days/weeks! (maybe you remember me im the one who wrote you an email, i think it was about switzerland? cause you live or lived there, im not sure). great great thread. gonna be galactic once its finished and rendered! truly inspiring. in fact im doing a project in school now. i have to model the viennese schönbrunn palace. i already took pictures for reference and soon i start modeling. we develope an app and they need an intro for the app. so the plan is that the camera flys straight through the gate up against the palace :) gonna be great and i will learn alot. i already showed them all your thread. cant get those wireframes out of my mind, the ones u posted in the beginning ^^
  • NomadSoul2501
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, thank you.
    Of course I remember, I hope you had some use for that advice :)
    Your project sounds great, I've been to Schönbrunn when I was in school.
    The track you describe will look great!
    Will you post progress to polycount?
  • MiAlx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MiAlx polycounter lvl 10
    Hey, great job so far. The new additions really fill the scene. :)

This is just an idea, but you could maybe add elements that subtly tie the various props together.

I believe that a city that has been abandoned, leaves a trail of hundreds of little stories. I'm talking about objects, like a battered, torn open suitcase on the floor in the corner somewhere, or a ripped piece of clothing, caught in the branches of the tree. A dirty, stepped on, crumpled-up missing person's flier. Smeared footsteps on the pavement next to the garbage. Stuff like that would make the viewer wonder "What happened there?".

It's probably still too early for things like that, but i don't know, maybe it's something worth considering. :)

Anyway, great job again. Keep it up, can't wait to see more!
  • NomadSoul2501
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the comment MiAlx :)

You are absolutely right, the scene needs tons of these little stories and no worries, I intent to deliver. You added a lot of great new ideas to the list, so if you don't mind I will incorporate some of them :)

Cheers
  • CreativeHD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CreativeHD polycounter lvl 6
    Looking better each time I look at this thread, keep up the great work!
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, sorry I didn't get back to you earlier. I've been very preoccupied.

It looks like you already got a start with adding detail at eye level in you latest update. Beveled some edges and added some geo-perfect! The blue brick texture looks a bit low res though. Any way you can scale that up by a factor of two in the UVs?

Looking good, I'll make sure I keep checkin' up on it!
  • Bladers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bladers polycounter lvl 3
    I also wonder if you will end up adding parked open cars in the street like in the trailer. That would probably come in the latter part of your process i would guess. If you decide to.

Also what caught my eyes are the staircases which are empty. In the trailer they were full of trash & trash bags and definitely adds depth to the scene.

Anyway that's my 2 cents. Can't wait to see a fly-through of this. Amazing work. I'm jealous. :)
  • NomadSoul2501
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the comments guys :)

@Rurouni Strife. I can definitely take another look at that texture.
    Just to make sure,which one do you mean? Is it this one?
    cabk.jpg

@Bladers, I've been struggling with the car idea as well since I started the project.
    On one hand it would add quite a bit of time to everything, on the other it has already been months and without some cars the streets will be hard to fill up.
    I think I will make a generic sedan near the end of the project and add it in with a bunch of color variations. Good catch on the trash bags, as per your request, MORE GARBAGE!!! :)
    I made some bigger piles and placed them around. They are quite obviously repeating now but I will break them up further down the line.

For todays update, as I already mentioned there is a lot more garbage in the streets.
    Also, I took another pass at the streets and brought them all to the level that 34th South has been for the last couple of weeks.

5usc.jpg
    720u.jpg

Let me know if anything jumps out at you.
    For the next update, I will create more large piles of garbage and debris and start adding those flares that were in the concept.

Cheers
  • NomadSoul2501
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi everyone, another quick update.

Tried to put down some snow, let me know what you think :)
    ptod.jpg

Cheers
  • billitor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    billitor polycounter lvl 5
    hi man, look nice but your snow is very clean add some dirt
  • Treboras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what billitor said :D + I'm not sure about the distribution of the snow. It seems you tried to replicate tire tracks, but I'm not sure, that there are working cars anymore. Just my 2 cents, not sure about all that.

Besides from it being a little bit too clean I like the shader a lot (!) Looks very believable
  • NomadSoul2501
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you:)

The source reference had tire tracks all over the place and in the final version the truck that crashed into the convenience store will still be blinking.
    I need to refine my brush and actually work some tread profile and maybe some footprints in there.

I will definitely dirty up the snow. I was thinking I could use an SSS approach and use the thickness as a mask to where the snow will be dirty/runny. If that doesn't work I'll try a hand painted approach :)

Edit: it will be a hand painted solution, SSS proved to be too heavy handed a result and looked wrong for this case.

Cheers
  • NomadSoul2501
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome, that is some great reference, thank you :)

The debris is still untextured, it's been on my todo pile for ages but then something flashier grabs my attention. I will tend to it soon though.

I was thinking that for the debris and the garbage piles I'd look into some angle based procedural snow layering.
  • NomadSoul2501
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi, another update :)

I spread the snow across the rest of the roads and introduced some dirt.
    It needs more but that will come.

I spent a lot of time refining the textures on the store and the construction site.
    The area still needs some more work and the truck needs some more attention.

v51r.jpg
    nal7.jpg
    ahto.jpg

I also toned down the light from the trafic light.
    What do you think?
    I like that it doesn't blow the area up anymore but now I feel everything is too dark.
  • Treboras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the detail level on the crash site comes along very nicely, love it!

The ambient light feels very strong now, I miss something like a hotspot where you are supposed to look first; my eyes are kinda wandering around without getting rest; you should, in my opinion, look for some more focus in the scene
  • NomadSoul2501
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree, you are absolutely right.

Part of why I loved the concept that served as a jumping off point was the flares that where placed in the foreground.
    So the idea is to have the car alarm still going off and the lights on the truck blinking, then crank the traffic light back up and place flares in the mid-ground.

mjqo.jpg
  • NomadSoul2501
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, another quick update.

I shuffled some objects around to hopefully help direct the eye better and reworked the lighting a bit to focus more on the areas I want to show off. Also the first part of the riot debris related assets made it in and I think they add a much needed level of chaos and break up the scene nicely.

hecq.jpg3ojm.jpg

Please drop a comment or critique and tell me what you think.

Cheers :)
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coming along rather well! I'm not a fan of that massive clump of debris in the middle of the road by the concrete barriers. It feels wrong. maybe move that closer to the building on the left and leave it open? I get what you were trying to do and it adds a lot to the scene, but just not there. It's just too much clutter, you know?
  • NomadSoul2501
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comment :)
    I get what you're saying but I want to move the piece closer to the concept.
    For now I'll move it further off to the left.

6c94.jpg

This debris is the tail end of a massive pile that will come in from the right and end where the smaller pile is now.

I'll place it and see how it looks; If it still looks wrong I can always move it :)
  • Assassinaded
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would like to see either the stop light malfunctioning or the star lights blinking also your newest update the street light looks a little strong from above.
  • NomadSoul2501
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Of course it will, I haven't gotten to it yet :)
    The yellow light on the traffic light will be blinking.
    The car alarm may still be going (that may prove to be too much motion)
    The Christmas deco is winking in and out of power and the flares are going too.
    The flares will also emit smoke and I've been working on a snow particle :)
    There's also the flag and some banners that will be waving.

So all in all there will be quite a lot of motion going on, I hope it wont be too much.
  • Assassinaded
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Would you mind doing a 20 second recording so we could see?
  • NomadSoul2501
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sure :)
    I'll work on getting the particles done and getting some cameras in there.

In the meantime, here's the update with the aftermath of the big riot.

zjt9.jpg

The truck blew through it, scattering debris across the intersection.

@Rurouni Strife
    Do you think this could work now or should I still clear the area left of the barriers?