Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Monthly Noob Challenge 8

Replies

• tkfxity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @tkfxity

How did you make the cloth or plastic transparent like that? Im trying to figure that one out myself.

This is my material for the plastic thing. The two nodes circled in red and blue control the opacity of the drape. One controls the opacity when viewed from the front, and the other controls the opacity from the back.

Now the red and blue circled nodes are connected to a Lerp node. The alpha for the lerp is Fresnel http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/MaterialsCompendium.html#Fresnel. That lerp in turn is connected to another lerp, which turns off part of the opacity which is controlled by the texture connecting to the alpha input. Black parts in the texture point to the A input, while the white points to the B input.(Black equals 0, white equals 1 if you think about it in numbers).

So in my case, my B input is the other lerp, so the white is going to be opaque, and my A input is 1 so ill have the black parts not opaque. This is done to make it look like there is dirt on the drape thing.

You can just skip the second set of lerp nodes and just plug in. 2 values into A and B and a fresnel into the alpha of a lerp and you are good to go. There are many other ways of doing the opacity, but thats how I did mine. Hope that helped!

DqZFK2m.png
  • Kazperstan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kazperstan greentooth
    @tkfxity ah nice one! been trying to figure out something for the plastic, thanks for sharing
  • Mischievous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mischievous polycounter lvl 6
    That's some great work every one, sadly I coudn't really join the fun in this contest, my HDD chose to die this month and with it my contest work was lost too, so now I'm just waiting for next month's one...
    Won't get away from me that easily next time :P
  • steppan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steppan polycounter lvl 8
    I like the second one [Sunset] but you need to change to light angle to match the sun in the sky. As it stands the sun is on the right side but the shadows are falling on the right side of the objects rather than the left

Scene looks really great though
  • tkfxity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steppan wrote: »
    I like the second one [Sunset] but you need to change to light angle to match the sun in the sky. As it stands the sun is on the right side but the shadows are falling on the right side of the objects rather than the left

Scene looks really great though

From the pictures it was hard to tell, but the sun was actually where it was suppose to be. The skydome material that I am using, which is the stock UDK one that has dynamic elements in it, seemed to have been acting weirdly with the color lookup table adjustment, causes light to be appear on the other side of the sun.

So because of that, I changed the angle of the sun to make it more obvious.

I am getting near the end of my scene. I think at this point there are only a couple small things to do. Here is how it stands as of now.

0IY6KQm.jpg
  • joshschmitt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joshschmitt polycounter lvl 11
    My scene, getting close to finished, just need some decals and the fence. Mess with lighting.

UzirgFi.jpg
  • CDeniz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CDeniz polygon
    tkfxity the sky is taking all the attention in your latest update,, my eyes went straight to the sky. Its way too dark and everything is hidden by shadow. Also the sun looks to be coming 2-3 radians counter clockwise of where its at in your scene,, look at the shadow of the bridge in the concept and compare to yours,,, or it may just be that its several hours earlier in the day.
  • neverwander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neverwander polycounter lvl 7
    Hey guys. I'm getting into this a little on the late side, but I really like the concept, and I need an urban piece for my portfolio. Anywho, I'm having some trouble with the normals on my wall. The one on the right shades correctly, but when I rotate the object 180 degrees, the shading is reversed. Anyone know how to correct this? Also, gonna post in the technical talk to see if I get an answer there.

HkHi9Q8.jpg
  • tkfxity
  • tkfxity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CDeniz wrote: »
    tkfxity the sky is taking all the attention in your latest update,, my eyes went straight to the sky. Its way too dark and everything is hidden by shadow. Also the sun looks to be coming 2-3 radians counter clockwise of where its at in your scene,, look at the shadow of the bridge in the concept and compare to yours,,, or it may just be that its several hours earlier in the day.

The idea was that this is a sunset setting, so the shadows would not align up with the concept.

Also how is the overall scene in brightness? I have a LED monitor and the scene looks to be the right brightness to see everything of importance clearly, but still dark enough for a sunset scene. Now if someone had a LCD monitor, then things might be a little darker.

Also in my final shots, I won't include the sun, as it is the brightest element in the scene and would make your eyes look up at it instead of the scene.

B4cdSrv.jpg
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    People really like orange socks in your world. ;)

I haven't had jack for time this month, I figured it would be fun to see what I could toss together in a couple hours aiming for diffuse and alpha only and extra low spec.

Vailias_NoobC8_WIP01.jpg
  • tkfxity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys. I'm getting into this a little on the late side, but I really like the concept, and I need an urban piece for my portfolio. Anywho, I'm having some trouble with the normals on my wall. The one on the right shades correctly, but when I rotate the object 180 degrees, the shading is reversed. Anyone know how to correct this? Also, gonna post in the technical talk to see if I get an answer there.

Only thing I can think of is that both the back face and front face are using the same texture space, except that the backface is mirrored? Wont be able to tell much unless we can see your UV layout of the wall and the normal texture.
  • Broken_Lawnmower
    joshschmitt: Nice man, interesting take. I really like the water on the ground. Are you using UDK? How did you go about creating the blend mask (assuming the ground is vertex blended)?

neverwander: What tkfxity said, you probably just have to flip the uvs on the back faces.

tkfxity: Looking good!

Vailias: Be careful about tiling. I would say, given the dimensions of those wall pieces you could most likely fit three unique versions onto a square texture sheet, then use that sheet to create a 3x1 wall piece mesh. Or you could try reducing any obviously tiling aspects of your current single wall texture. I'm curious about what your textures look like. Have you given the wall sides unique uv space? (because they probably don't need it)

Well I'm "done" I guess. This was a lot of fun! However, I don't think I can do the next one - I barely had time to do this one (maybe mnc10?). Regardless, congrats to everybody who participated. We did it! Congrats to everybody else too! You did it too!! Congrats!!!

Final_01.png

Final_02.png

Final_03.png

(even though I said I was done, please feel free to critique the hell out of this)
  • joshschmitt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joshschmitt polycounter lvl 11
    @Broken_Lawnmower

Thanks man, whew where do I start? The material took 2-3 hours to do was following a tutorial from 3dmotive.com.

This is my material setup and my god, this is insane.

Sorry for crap quality, imgur was down...

rk2w.jpg
  • tkfxity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well here is my final submission! Was a fun month, got to practice incorporating zBrush into my workflow! Unfortunatly I won't be able to participate in the next challenge as I will be out of town for almost the whole month. Good luck to everyone!

koFjlFj.jpg
    Iw8dG9W.jpg
    WOUDKUF.jpg
    AXuosOQ.jpg
  • Razielim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi.
    Unfortunately i hadnt much time this month for this project. I tought i could finish it in the last two days, but then i had problems with udk again.
    So this is my current version.
    010713_5.jpg
    010713_4.jpg
    010713_3.jpg
    010713_2.jpg
    010713_1.jpg
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
  • Flumpinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flumpinator polycounter lvl 10
    hey...I'm not done yet.... :p

Still going, need to add all the random crap on the floor, bits of rubble etc

Using a cubemap from the library atm but can anyone help with setting up the water, I'm using a water volume so do I just create a cubemap from my level and the higher the res = crisper reflection?

9190492627_6343819cac_c.jpg
    wip02 by Flumpinator., on Flickr
  • Manticora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys,

there was sooo much going on in the past month that I didn't expect, so I really didn't make a lot of progress. Here's how it already looked like several weeks ago, though everything is temporary except maybe the barrier model (not the texture). I'll resume working on this piece as soon as I can find the time, but I guess I will do MNC 9 first as long as I can still get feedback for that one ;)

Congrats to everyone who finished this, great work!!!

contaminated_02.png
  • Kazperstan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kazperstan greentooth
    Nearly there, couple more bits to fix:
    PF4kt8m.jpg
    Big thanks to the guys in the hangouts for all the crits

@Flumpinator I'd highly recommend having a look at 3dmotives UDK advance materials stuff, they cover water in there very well
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    A quick question , not that I am partecipating to it , despite I wopuld like ( perhaps next time ) but is nt there any limit on polycount , texture sizes and texture numbers?
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    NAIMA wrote: »
    A quick question , not that I am partecipating to it , despite I wopuld like ( perhaps next time ) but is nt there any limit on polycount , texture sizes and texture numbers?

I dont think that, just stay on the reality's ground. I mean dont use 4096' for a single wall, and dont use unrealistically high polycount.
  • David Wakelin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura wrote: »
    I dont think that, just stay on the reality's ground. I mean dont use 4096' for a single wall, and dont use unrealistically high polycount.

At the end of the day its about being realistic; and well it reflects your skill especially if its going towards your portfolio. You need to optimize where possible and ensure its appropriate to current gen. :)

But yes as said, have fun and learn a lot in the process!
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    I understand but one thing if this is something that has to run on phone , another on a consolle or a pc ... like in those case you can increase polycount etc ... anyway thankyou ... when I will have some more free time woudl like to attempt it as well :) ...