Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Monthly Noob Challenge 8

Replies

• Vatanist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vatanist polycounter lvl 11
    Right ! I don't know what's wrong but i just can't get what i want on the texture... Any advice link on texturing and how does specular work with concrete ? Is it supposed to look like Udk's plastic style shader ? :)
    Is the one below a little better than the first one ?
    [sketchfab]35f5ERHxc3BSrEldRkv9pmTJH8u[/sketchfab]
  • uberphoenix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    uberphoenix polycounter lvl 8
    @Baron Flame: thanks for your help!, if you find out what that script was called could you let me know? :)

Here's my blockout in the engine, i'm quite proud of it as i've got the scale right i think :D

wMxC7vU.png
    Concept original view

ghfUHJe.png
    This is where the guards get onto the bridges, there will be a spot light up here also

biV26gS.png
    View from one of the bridges

What do you guys think?
  • uberphoenix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have a question for you all.

Is anyone making a modular art set? If so, how are you working out the "size" of these pieces? I've read some articles that say things like, this model is 512x512. etc

So here's something i don't really understand with "art sets", as I want to get into good practices.

uor251O.png

If I split my bridge into blocks of 512, what do I do about that space? would I just add another piece of my bridge on? and let it intersect the wall? Also when should I use modular models and when shouldn't I?

if someone could explain this, that'd be great :)
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    512 is a power of two and will therefore snap onto the grid nice and evenly. That's really all it's for - it's important, but that's the reason.

As for that little space, yeah, you just have to fill it somehow. :) Either stuck a 4th one in there and let it clip the wall or scale up that pink one a little so it fills all the space or resize your scene so the 3 will snap in there nicely ... lotsa options but really no simple solution.

As far as WHEN you should build a modular mesh ... well, anytime you're going to be using the exact same shape more than once, you have an opportunity for re-use there. It comes down to other factors depending on the situation but generally the obvious rule is the one to follow.
  • joshschmitt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joshschmitt polycounter lvl 11
    @Vatanist

Looks good for me, I would have to look into specular on concrete but you wouldnt want it to be shinny.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Part of it is prior planning.
    Such as, why do you have extra space?

Modify the layout to facilitate the modular set, or plan your modular set to fit your sized layout.

Another idea is if you do believe you'll need small gap filler type pieces often, is to make them at a smaller length that still tiles in with the larger bits.
    Like if the base grid for your purpose is based on powers of 2, then any power of 2 length piece will still tile and still snap to the grid or some subset of it.
  • CDeniz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CDeniz polygon
    Whoa, this monthly noob challenge exploded since I left. Awesome job Alex!

Been insanely busy with uni classes this past semester but I should have more free time this summer to get back into things. Hopefully I will participate in the next challenge.
  • poopsterspappy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopsterspappy polycounter lvl 7
    Trying to celebrate small victories as I am feeling completely burnt out :( here's my first stab at harpoon razor wire (pardon the pun).

lG2IJIm.jpg?1
  • RavenTheBird
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RavenTheBird polycounter lvl 12
    Some small update for the props, the side of the wall, the model can be rotate 180 to make it have some little variation on the tilling

vK0De37.jpg

C&C is always welcome
  • Baron Flame
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baron Flame polycounter lvl 12
    Some small update for the props, the side of the wall, the model can be rotate 180 to make it have some little variation on the tilling

vK0De37.jpg

C&C is always welcome

Looking good! One thing I wanted to add to this was about putting a horizontal pipe/wire thingy to act as an axis for the razor wire. If that thing falls on someone's head, it's going to do more than just shave the person's scalp(razor, scalp, get it? -_- Forget it, I'm hopeless T_____T ).

BTW is anyone documenting there process/progress on this one, Zbrush is really pushing my buttons here and I'd love to see how others tackle this step in the process.
  • joshschmitt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joshschmitt polycounter lvl 11
    Trying to celebrate small victories as I am feeling completely burnt out :( here's my first stab at harpoon razor wire (pardon the pun).

lG2IJIm.jpg?1

How did you do the barbed wire?

I am trying to figure this out.

Nvm, I had to rotate the image and make stuff line up in max.
  • cmtanko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cmtanko polycounter lvl 10

MbD9Sjj.jpg
    What's up with this one ? the stones will be in normal map or mesh stone ? Can you explain your idea for this .
  • RavenTheBird
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vatanist wrote: »
    Right ! I don't know what's wrong but i just can't get what i want on the texture... Any advice link on texturing and how does specular work with concrete ? Is it supposed to look like Udk's plastic style shader ? :)
    Is the one below a little better than the first one ?
    [sketchfab]35f5ERHxc3BSrEldRkv9pmTJH8u[/sketchfab]

http://www.manufato.com/?p=902

here you go
  • RavenTheBird
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How did you do the barbed wire?

I am trying to figure this out.

Nvm, I had to rotate the image and make stuff line up in max.

if you are in the google hang out, ping me, i give you a quick shot how to do it in max :D

very laggy btw :(
  • RavenTheBird
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good! One thing I wanted to add to this was about putting a horizontal pipe/wire thingy to act as an axis for the razor wire. If that thing falls on someone's head, it's going to do more than just shave the person's scalp(razor, scalp, get it? -_- Forget it, I'm hopeless T_____T ).

BTW is anyone documenting there process/progress on this one, Zbrush is really pushing my buttons here and I'd love to see how others tackle this step in the process.

I don't understand what your mean, because my english is limited edition, you can post an image here to let us know what you want :D
  • Vatanist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

vK0De37.jpg

C&C is always welcome

Your wall looks awesome mate. Is there any chance you could post your textures.. ? And thanks for the link about texturing..
    Looking forward to see more..
  • Kazperstan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kazperstan greentooth
    @RavenTheBird
    looking nice!

W7oNJU2.jpg
    8UwxJbR.jpg

Looking for reference was a little.. awkward.. to say the least, Made a start on the wall sections to but after checking back here i think they are a little to thin, will fix them up then post them up here
  • Scardona
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scardona polycounter lvl 9
  • tkfxity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone! Been a while since I participated in these challenges, last one I did was challenge 4! So since I recently got zBrush, I want to practice using zBrush in my workflow to create more detailed models then I have before.

Here are my two pieces I finished up!

irW5j4S.jpg
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14

lG2IJIm.jpg?1

...Yeah...saw those Alpha planes in an earlier update of yours and thought man that was clever and will look cool.

I think you need a twist modifier on them though.
  • This_Is_Icarus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This_Is_Icarus polycounter lvl 4
    http://skfb.ly/mk1cb

this is my barrier model with a quick defuse on, sorry for the bad quality as im not sure how to work sketchfab very well
  • Kazperstan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kazperstan greentooth
    8YPVLlS.jpg
    Lpwq9mK.jpg

The graffiti will be Decals in the end, just fancied having a play with them XD

Also thought I would show the barbed wire, its basically a 1024 x 256 tiling texture wrapping around the helix plane
  • tkfxity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just created a Shipping Container and made a UDK material for them!

nSdDsf1.png
  • MichaelElphick
    Started on another block-out, hoping to start on some of the assets tomorrow.

block2.jpg

block1.jpg
  • This_Is_Icarus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    is anyone able to help me with adding and making materials on cryengine 3 as i have hte material all set up with teh defuse and normal but it just has the standard "replace me" red on the preview and model

edit: i realised i was using the wrong file format but now my model has this weird effect happening to the texture plus its only on one side?

Capture.JPG
  • Mischievous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mischievous polycounter lvl 6
    I think that might be the buffer shadows screwing up, try to use a different than straight top down angle for your sun. (Not a Cryengine user so just a wild guess)
  • e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks like too many shadowcasters on the same surface. see if you put any other lights in your scene and how many cast shadows on that surface. otherwise might be the shadow bias and you should either be able to find a cvar or an entity property for it :)
  • This_Is_Icarus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alright :) thanks will try and sort it out in the morning and hopefully get things rolling again as ive had quite a few problems so far but its part of the learning
  • Vatanist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tileable texture just on a plain plane :) Getting there..
    7in2.jpg
  • hessfire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    These challenges are fantastic, and I really wanted to do this, so I put off a project I was working on in order to do this. Here's my blockout so far:

I'm going to be filling out the compound more, thinking some sort of armory and crated supplies everywhere.
    GzpWkUw.jpg

The front. It's quite large, maybe too large. I extended the front as I wanted to have a helipad in the compound but it was a bit too snuggly. May have to play with the size, but all the assets are modular.
    RbZJsYH.jpg

The entire compound. I wasn't sure if I wanted to add another exit in the back, but I like the idea of the compound being enclosed with helicopter being the only reliable supply chain/escape plan. Also, needs more signage up front.
    GdAGC2e.jpg
  • cmtanko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's my 2nd WIP
    1.jpg
    2.jpg
    3.jpg
  • MichaelElphick
    Got my first asset in... tried to really focus in on my material definition and general optimization. :)

block11.jpg

block21.jpg

block3.jpg
  • IvanMartinez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IvanMartinez polycounter lvl 7
    Hello everybody!!

I decided to start the challenge last week, so here are some WIP images with the block out of the scene and some assets, both in cryengine.

Cheers

scene_block.jpg

concrete01.jpg

concrete02.jpg
  • MichaelElphick
    Worked a little bit further into it, starting to block the environmental effects in such as the puddles. The concrete sides will be littered with decals for the graffti and other cracks further stains to break up the texture.

progress2.jpg
  • Kazperstan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kazperstan greentooth
    quick update on the engine stuff so far
    JZU3AiT.jpg
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    Im going to try and see if I can start next months concept thread tonight. Sorry I have not been more into this one.
  • uberphoenix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im going to try and see if I can start next months concept thread tonight. Sorry I have not been more into this one.

I know this is an environment challenge, but may I make the suggestion of doing a single prop for this month?

I only say this, mainly because I'm finding it hard to get any of these challenges finished and I think a prop is a much smaller scale project that we can finish.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know this is an environment challenge, but may I make the suggestion of doing a single prop for this month?

I only say this, mainly because I'm finding it hard to get any of these challenges finished and I think a prop is a much smaller scale project that we can finish.

I was considering making a hard surface modeling challenge.
  • cmtanko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I was also thinking to skip this and move to do some gun modeling...
    "Challenge 3/4 " was great for me, with lots of great artist and lots of C&C.., But Now its is getting quite boring honestly...
    I'll finish this one but next I'd go for some high rez gun modeling....
    [But again I feel scared if I can never be a good Env. artist, if I just keep focusing on modeling ? :/ ]
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    I was considering making a hard surface modeling challenge.

I would definitely get involved if the next project were a little more manageable, time-wise. As much as I love the idea of working on an environment piece (even a relatively small one like this month's), something a little smaller might be good for those of us with less time.

+ 1 vote for a hard surface challenge.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan wrote: »
    I would definitely get involved if the next project were a little more manageable, time-wise. As much as I love the idea of working on an environment piece (even a relatively small one like this month's), something a little smaller might be good for those of us with less time.

+ 1 vote for a hard surface challenge.

What would you guys think of a bi-monthly noob challenge, a hard surface challenge and maybe sculpting challenge? I am going to be talking with Adam next week and I will see if maybe we can get a more structured and easy to manage way of doing these.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Those would be amazing. I don't generally have time for full environments but I could probably do pieces.
  • staceanator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    staceanator polycounter lvl 3
    I think that sounds great, still a little gutted I might come in late with my first attempt at noob challenge. Trying to fit in learning all about getting everything from maya > udk and the general workflow for games is taking longer than I expected (currently working in film so this is all a little new to me but I'm really enjoying it so far) I reckon that having a little more time to play around/experiment/make mistakes can only lead to a better final piece :)

Having said that the hard surface challenge maybe a better option for a beginner like me to really focus on one thing rather than take on too much and fall short. Ultimately I'm here to learn and get involved so more options = awesome
  • uberphoenix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What would you guys think of a bi-monthly noob challenge, a hard surface challenge and maybe sculpting challenge? I am going to be talking with Adam next week and I will see if maybe we can get a more structured and easy to manage way of doing these.

Yes definitely.

I think the reason a few of us never actually finished is because of the lack of structure. I myself have never done this before so I spent most of my time learning what I should be doing, than actually creating anything more than a blockout + 1 high poly.

If maybe there was a method we could follow each month, it'd be a great way to create our own ways of making art. Sort of what the gnomon workshop DVDs do, they give you their way to doing it and then you can adapt it.

You have my vote for either of those Alex. Looking forward to it.
  • Baron Flame
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I kind of know what you mean. Doing a single prop a month will help n00bs(myself included) focus on a single asset instead of running around the block like a headless chicken. It'd be easier to learn things when it's being applied to one single asset rather than worrying about tackling the same with multiple ones. However, this poses a different kind of challenge, not only are you worrying about assets as such but also about placement, logic, level design and others.
    If a Hard surface challenge comes to fruition I would actually participate in both, focusing more on that challenge while doing what I can with this one.

Nyhooo, btw hey everyone, I finally got my hands on a DSLR after a year of not having one and was kind of swept away with the joy of photography.
    In the middle of the Max Blockout, problem solving and trying out new concepts as I go. I'll probably finish this in a day or so(hopefully) and take individual elements into Zbrush, which has been giving me all kinds of headaches.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Honestly I think if anything even if you don't finish these scene I think it teaches you to plan your shit before making in as well as level design workflow, I think it focuses less on asset creation.

But would people prefer a 2 month challenge?
  • Baron Flame
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Honestly I think if anything even if you don't finish these scene I think it teaches you to plan your shit before making in as well as level design workflow, I think it focuses less on asset creation.

Precisely my point, however there is an sense of satisfaction/disappointment when one succeeds/fails in completing a scene. Personally I am content with whatsoever I am able to do before the deadline knowing that I did my best and learnt a lot.
    But would people prefer a 2 month challenge?

I am bit confused here, do you mean a 2 month (environment) n00b challenge or 2 monthly n00b challenges (environment and asset) running side by side?
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Suggestion:
    Why not keep it monthly, but make it a Tiered challenge.

Like for this one say: Tier 1: model just a barricade or wall piece.
    Tier 2: Tier 1 plus the checkpoint.
    Tier 3: The whole scene.

So that way its open to a wider range of noob and people can still have a sense of progression and accomplishment, while still pushing themselves to complete a larger piece of work than they have previously done?
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Precisely my point, however there is an sense of satisfaction/disappointment when one succeeds/fails in completing a scene. Personally I am content with whatsoever I am able to do before the deadline knowing that I did my best and learnt a lot.

I am bit confused here, do you mean a 2 month (environment) n00b challenge or 2 monthly n00b challenges (environment and asset) running side by side?

I mean getting 2 months per challenge because I see a lot of people working on stuff for two+ months.
    My only worry is people would get bored.
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    Vailias wrote: »
    Suggestion:
    Why not keep it monthly, but make it a Tiered challenge.

Like for this one say: Tier 1: model just a barricade or wall piece.
    Tier 2: Tier 1 plus the checkpoint.
    Tier 3: The whole scene.

So that way its open to a wider range of noob and people can still have a sense of progression and accomplishment, while still pushing themselves to complete a larger piece of work than they have previously done?

I really like this idea. I realize this kind of a system could get complicated for the organizers, but offering three tiers of involvement could be one way for participants to identify what they think they'll be able to handle, and serve as milestones if they realize they can do more within the time allotted.