Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Monthly Noob Challenge 8

Replies

• joshschmitt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joshschmitt polycounter lvl 11
    @Vatanist

I am confused as to what exactly I am seeing on the edges?

Is it tar or rough concrete?
  • Gheromo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gheromo polycounter lvl 11
    To me material definition looks like its made out of metal, get some reference :)
  • shosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Vatanist : a lot more to go to have something nice.

Vary the size of the edge damage, make it interesting and work harder on the texture, modeling is not enough
  • Vatanist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vatanist polycounter lvl 11
    @JoshSchmitt: It suuposed to be rough concrete, but unfotunately my noobness :)
    @Gheremo: I think your right..
    @Shosh: Thanks a lot !
    Thanks for feedback guys.. I'll start another one then..
  • Fenn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenn polycounter lvl 3
    Vatanist wrote: »
    @JoshSchmitt: It suuposed to be rough concrete, but unfotunately my noobness :)
    @Gheremo: I think your right..
    @Shosh: Thanks a lot !
    Thanks for feedback guys.. I'll start another one then..

I have been watching these on the freeway as I drive by lately.
    One thing I notice is that they are very rough in texture. Even the old ones aren't eroded. They have some damage, but from the initial pour of concrete they have this really rough texture.

This is not exactly it, but kind of what I have seen:

texture-of-the-old-rough-cement-wall-thumb18243195.jpg

I will be posting what I have so far tonight. I am just learning everything so I don't think I will get much past blocking with this challenge.
  • Baron Flame
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baron Flame polycounter lvl 12
    Redoing the blockout here. Messed up the scale. Can anyone who has blocked theirs out tell me what the scale of their scene?
    P.s : I am feeling lazy. xD
  • shosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenn wrote: »
    I have been watching these on the freeway as I drive by lately.
    One thing I notice is that they are very rough in texture. Even the old ones aren't eroded. They have some damage, but from the initial pour of concrete they have this really rough texture.

In a game you kinda have to get away from that type of noise and contrast, it atracts the eyes too much and you lose the scene as a whole. Also, even if you really really want that detail, at 512px/m that kind of small detail will not read well in the texture and if you go above 512px/m that texture will make a hole in the texture budget
    As for real life, if the pebbles (i think) are small, the concrete gets a much smoother finish

Hf!
  • This_Is_Icarus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This_Is_Icarus polycounter lvl 4
    can anyone please help me figure out how to get my models into cryengine i have been trying for 2 hours now and following videos but its not working for some reason and most of the videos i do see they do not explain much just export with the cryengine plugin and bam its in teh objects list on the right hand side??

pls help as i really want to get int ocryengine as my laptop has problems with udk
  • joshschmitt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @This_Is_Icarus

Im going to assume you have the correct exporter and every file needed.

In 3ds or maya you need to save the project file .max .maya into the game folder (everything goes into the game folder) I do this because who knows if it doesnt recognize it.

2nd, click create material in the exporter, that then loads up ce3, make sure the materials are there in ce3 and click new material etc.

In max click synce material and ok to the over riding of mats. Then click export for the actual mesh.

Note that all of the files NEED to be in the sub folder GAME for this to work.

P.s I hate CE3.

I will be in polycounts google hangout in a bit if you want to connect, just gotta get some food.
  • This_Is_Icarus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @This_Is_Icarus

Im going to assume you have the correct exporter and every file needed.

In 3ds or maya you need to save the project file .max .maya into the game folder (everything goes into the game folder) I do this because who knows if it doesnt recognize it.

2nd, click create material in the exporter, that then loads up ce3, make sure the materials are there in ce3 and click new material etc.

In max click synce material and ok to the over riding of mats. Then click export for the actual mesh.

Note that all of the files NEED to be in the sub folder GAME for this to work.

P.s I hate CE3.

I will be in polycounts google hangout in a bit if you want to connect, just gotta get some food.
    haha i got it working now thanks. all i needed to do was create a folder called objects im the level folder. all that time spent trying to figure it out when it was a damn folder :)
  • joshschmitt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @This_Is_Icarus

Thats great, glad you figured it out. This is the reason why I hate CE3. I have max problems crashing, exporting etc. But then UDK has lightmass which I hate too.
  • This_Is_Icarus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @joshschmitt
    yer i only just started using it today and have been doing a rough block out. i made a box to get the proportions right but that was in udk and i now hove to go back and make everything a bit bigger but it will be worth it :) the navigation and lightmass stuff in udk really annoy me aswell
  • Baron Flame
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Redid the in-Engine blockout again. Nothing fancy just simple placeholders. The placeholders for the barricades seem to be a bit too big but I hopefully can correct that in the Max Blockout.
    -___-

IEB_01.jpg

IEB_02.jpg
  • staceanator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    staceanator polycounter lvl 3
    tumblr_mnzns6Cje41rbhbsho1_1280.jpg

Hey everyone this is my first attempt at an environment/polycount challenge, hoping to learn a whole bunch of things (mainly getting my head around the basics and how to present things in a game engine) this is just a quick WIP blockout in maya, got a few more elements to create before figuring out the best way to transfer it all over to UDK
  • Fenn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenn polycounter lvl 3
    shosh wrote: »
    In a game you kinda have to get away from that type of noise and contrast, it atracts the eyes too much and you lose the scene as a whole. Also, even if you really really want that detail, at 512px/m that kind of small detail will not read well in the texture and if you go above 512px/m that texture will make a hole in the texture budget
    As for real life, if the pebbles (i think) are small, the concrete gets a much smoother finish

Hf!

I wasn't saying to use that texture. Just showing what the rough texture of concrete can look like. I just posted it for reference not to texture a model with.

What would be an ideal texture style? There has to be an allowance for contrast, not as much as in that image.
    The type of concrete in those barricades, at least the ones around me, are rough and look similar to the texture in the image I posted.
  • Scardona
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scardona polycounter lvl 9
    Hey! A Noobie challenge, sound right up my alley. Is it too late to join?
  • Baron Flame
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scardona wrote: »
    Hey! A Noobie challenge, sound right up my alley. Is it too late to join?

Nope, it's never too late. Unless it's the last second of the last minute of the last hour of the last day of the challenge.
    -_-
    I talk too much.
    What I meant was; Come on right in. You've got plenty of time. xD
  • uberphoenix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    uberphoenix polycounter lvl 8
    Still trying to get my blockin out of udk and into max as separate pieces, so this'll be my last try before i just detach them by hand.

Dtk29bv.png

On the right side is when I saved it as a whole static mesh, but its all one model in max which makes it hard to move stuff aronnd; and on the left this is me doing it with each bsp brush, but it doesn't seem to place it how it was in udk.

Anyone know a way to make it keep the same orientation?

thanks in advance
  • uberphoenix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just tried exporting it as fbx and it does the same again :(, gonna try it with just one this time and see if it imports it in the right place

EDIT:

jDZEDEN.png

Did it with the floor, it was in the correct place but for some reason it has holes where the other bsp meshes were in udk :S

I have no idea what I am doing. My main reason for wanting to not have to break the mesh into pieces, is because i don't want to lose the scale :L
  • Kazperstan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kazperstan greentooth
    Giving this one a crack this month :) First asset out for today:
    EAhSXzl.jpg

Need to finish up a few more bits in the block out then can really start pumping out the assets. Feeling most of it is going to be clever tileables..
  • Scardona
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scardona polycounter lvl 9
    Nope, it's never too late. Unless it's the last second of the last minute of the last hour of the last day of the challenge.
    -_-
    I talk too much.
    What I meant was; Come on right in. You've got plenty of time. xD

Lol, haha dont sweat it!
    Anyways, got my concept done, not sure how lenient the challenge is, but I sorta wanted to add a bit of story. Anyways, on to the blockout

Capture_zps17634d73.jpg~original
  • This_Is_Icarus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @uberphoenix
    im sure there is a way to change the orientation of the axes to match udk. BUT why are you exporting it all out from udk into max why not simply make it in max and import into udk it seems like it would make it alot easier and fast imo. :)
  • uberphoenix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @uberphoenix
    im sure there is a way to change the orientation of the axes to match udk. BUT why are you exporting it all out from udk into max why not simply make it in max and import into udk it seems like it would make it alot easier and fast imo. :)

Mainly because of the scale, I can jump in and look around from a players view to make sure stuff it at a realistic height.

Do you think I should just build it from scratch in max, using my block in as a reference for the height etc and just do it that way?

I'm just too worried about importing it into udk, then having it not be the correct height :L
  • This_Is_Icarus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mainly because of the scale, I can jump in and look around from a players view to make sure stuff it at a realistic height.

Do you think I should just build it from scratch in max, using my block in as a reference for the height etc and just do it that way?

I'm just too worried about importing it into udk, then having it not be the correct height :L

yer i would do it in max then import into udk. for me to get the size right i made a block as a place holder for the people and got that the right size first by importing it and then reimporting a bigger model if needed. that way i got the size for people down i can get the height of everything else by perspective if you get me? it makes it alot easier as now i know anything i make that is in relation to the block will be perfectly sized. :P

hope this helped i tend to over explain
  • uberphoenix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Icarus

No no! I've been searching for someone to over explain it for me :P, I'll do your suggestion. Do you know if I export an obj of my block in from max to udk to test the size, If it'll be in the same place? as i've noticed when you drag things from the content browser it just plops them into the scene xD
  • MichaelElphick
    I did have a block-out complete but my computer crashed! Frustrating.

Hopefully have something to show by Saturday.
  • This_Is_Icarus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    uberphoenix
    you need to export as fbx and import into udk. if you keep the max file open you can then judge the size right by playing the game in the window and seeing if you need to increase/decrease the size. and that is easy to do as you just adjust it in max then overwrite the fbx file, go back into udk and right click and select reload static mesh or reimport i forget the actual term :) hope this helped
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Seeing as there are a lot of scale questions lately, and this concept has a lot of barriers.. how about a link to technical drawings of multiple barrier types?
    http://www.jensenprecast.com/Transportation/Barrier-Rail-p4360/

Enjoy
  • Manticora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm focussing on adding detail, so it would be great to get some input for my concrete barrier highpoly before I'm doing the lowpoly. I will do a second, more damaged version afterwards, so I modeled the "inner life" of the barrier to bring out parts of it. Of course I will add some damage to the visible parts of that, too.

concrete_barrier_wip02.png

I look forward to some critique!

edit: Here's a quick test bake with a temporary UV layout (and the wrong edge normals!). Really wasn't sure how the detail will look on the lowpoly. I'll keep working on it... The back side is really looking way too noisy.

concrete_barrier_wip03.png
  • This_Is_Icarus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    could anyone help me as i am trying to use cryengine 3 for this task and have made a box in place of a person to get the sizing right but when i alter it in max and re export and import it the size will not change unless i make a brand new model from scratch
  • This_Is_Icarus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol i have figured out this problem all i needed to do was reset the xforms. this is my block out so far not the best shot but short on time atm. i decided to go more along the lines of a previouse posters block out as i found it looked very nice but will ad my own tweeks and such :P

block+out.JPG
  • poopsterspappy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopsterspappy polycounter lvl 7
    Sorry for posting so many images all at once but it's my first post on this challenge and I wanted to get into this a bit before posting. I was reluctant to do this challenge as I was sold on another concept, but when your boss walks up to you and hands you something you dont say "I wanna do the other one" :)

I figured I'd have one Hero barrier that I would chop up and have sticking out of the ground like it took heavy fire. the other is more "tileable" and wil be covered with decals.

U0ZWsvX.jpg

XMeIpok.jpg

Ta48i1e.jpg

The concrete wall slabs are tileable

Xdd5WdW.jpg

The rubble pile needs more variation but is an experiment to get normal mapped rocks on the ground

MbD9Sjj.jpg
    FcrjPdW.jpg

The razor wire will be a tileable straight exture mapped to a simple subdivided plane that follows a path

rZ4y2d2.jpg

The walkways fence, and slabs are 100 tileable

X7F7acw.jpg

B67wUAW.jpg

All critiques are appreciated, Great job so far all :)
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kazperstan wrote: »
    Giving this one a crack this month :) First asset out for today:
    EAhSXzl.jpg

Need to finish up a few more bits in the block out then can really start pumping out the assets. Feeling most of it is going to be clever tileables..
    Be careful with the shading on these blocks. The concept art has a very clear lighting break where the bottom starts to fan out. Yours look like a smooth stroke from to bottom.
  • Abdullah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is my quick block out in max.

acbSp5Pg.jpg
  • Mischievous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mischievous polycounter lvl 6
    @Manticora, Nice modelling, but the edges look a bit too smooth, I my self at least would expect them to be choppy and jagged as if pieces got broken off and such.

@poopsterspappy, Those rock debris on the floor look awesome :D I like the hero barrier idea too!

@Abdullah, nice start!
  • uberphoenix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When you import things into udk, is there anyway to make it so when you place them in the scene to test them that, they get placed in the same postions? I've got over 20+ little boxes to represent concrete blocks and no idea where to place them. Do i have to place each model manually within udk?

here's what i've got so far:

CoX99Pt.png
  • poopsterspappy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopsterspappy polycounter lvl 7
    @Uber, Combine em all as one static mesh .FBX, but make sure that you have open holes in your fence that you can walk through or they won't be penetrable ,when you import that combined object double click your mesh in the content browser, scroll down and uncheck " use simple box collision, use simple line collision, use simple body rigid collision". You can then test play your block out. Beware though once your blockout gets too dense with vertices that your import will fail as one object. Where you are now you should be fine :). There is a script that my instructor at Gnomon was telling us about that allows you to export all of your static meshes as .fbx and import them into UDK intact without having to zero out their pivot but I haven't used it yet. When all is said and done yeah it kinda sucks that you have to reconstruct your block out from max into UDK one piece at a time but my instructor was telling us that he keeps his blockouts very minimal for that very reason...why dothings twice? If BSP didn't suck so bad you could blockout in UDK alone.Personally I don't like blocking out in BSP.
  • Manticora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ uberphoenix:

You can place one object anywhere in your scene, duplicate it, select the next mesh in the content browser and then replace one of the objects in your scene by right-clicking it and selecting "Add Static Mesh: xy" (xy is the name of the object you selected in the concent browser). I hope this is what you were looking for :)
  • Broken World
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Broken World polycounter lvl 6
    This project will mostly be a texture study project, so I might not get everything done, but I really want to nail down whatever I do work on. Anyways, I was sick most of this week but got a chance to make the concrete barrier. Let me know if you have any critiques!

Wip_02.jpg
  • uberphoenix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EDIT: thanks for the help guys, will try that out.

Since i've mostly finished my block out, i'd like to know when and were i should do modular modelling before i start making the low poly models.

How should I work out what needs to be modular? and what doesn't?
  • Baron Flame
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good job everyone, excellent progress.
    I was in the middle of my Max blockout when I hit by a barrage of question about the process; So I Got a few questions for anyone who cares to answer
    1. Taking into consideration the widely accepted HP to LP workflow, do you take the LP model with just the basic shape and structure, take it to Zbrush where you further refine it and bring it back to Max?
    2. Can anyone point me to some youtube videos or even some paid hard surface modelling tuts on Zbrush for the total beginner. I honestly feel lost here. -_-
    3. Is anyone in the mood for some french vanilla supreme ?
    xD
  • Manticora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Baron Flame:

1: Exactly. You can do the retopology in zBrush, too, but I prefer bringing it back to my modeling software and doing it there. If your sculpt has a lot of polys, you can use a lower subdivision level, as long as the silhouette is right :)
    2: I don't have a lot of time right now to look for videos, but you could search for the zClassroom and Eat3D videos, they've got some great tutorials.
    3: Sounds great! :)
  • shosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hm, i should probably start this if i want to finish anything this month:)
  • cmtanko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cmtanko polycounter lvl 10
    lil late but here goes my entry,
    Blocking:
    WIP.jpg
  • Abdullah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EDIT: thanks for the help guys, will try that out.

Since i've mostly finished my block out, i'd like to know when and were i should do modular modelling before i start making the low poly models.

How should I work out what needs to be modular? and what doesn't?

if you see a repetitive pattern in your concept then that's when you should consider going modular. for example in my block out i modeled my bridge as one piece of 256 units length and used it to build the whole bridge.
  • Vatanist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I failed first barrier model.. And this is the second try with ao and normal... Is it ok to texture this ? Or sculpt another one again :) ?
    Thanks for feedback guys..

[sketchfab]y7JlDWT24Vz90bBJNQvZJshdrFm[/sketchfab]
  • joshschmitt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Vatamist

That looks good, start texturing it I say.
  • Vatanist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @JoshSchmitt
    Thanks mate, i better start texturing it then :)
  • Kazperstan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kazperstan greentooth
    Thanks WarrenM :)

Made some changes and here is the blockout in maya so far:
    IWbrkLx.jpg
    acvExTr.jpg
  • shosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Vatanist : i don't understand why you sculpt this and didn't make use of the sculpt. I mean, this you can achieve with just photoshop in about 15 minutes. If you use a sculpting program, well, get wild man ! Try and make details that are believable and that you can't do with just texture and nDo (or similar). I don't say that this doesn't look good, just that you could have done a lot more

Hf!