Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Monthly Noob Challenge 4

Replies

• StormHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StormHertz polycounter lvl 8
    Here's where I'm at currently after an hour of blocking out the scene. I'm currently trying to find the perfect proportions and scale. I want it to be the hidden entrance of some assassin's guild, where it's obvious how to get in the first part, but not through the second, nor getting out of the area. I imported Epic's base male model to get a good scale when I import it to UDK to test it out.

s4MyhHX.jpg
  • r3spawn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, this looks pretty good, I think I'll join this time. I'm a bit caught up in work and some other stuff at the moment but I after I finish that I should be free as a bird for the rest of the month.

Does anyone have any tutorials for UDK materials? I know how to import my meshes to UDK and create brushes and whatnot but I have no idea how to work with materials.
  • Sakunia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sakunia polycounter lvl 7
    r3spawn wrote: »
    Alright, this looks pretty good, I think I'll join this time. I'm a bit caught up in work and some other stuff at the moment but I after I finish that I should be free as a bird for the rest of the month.

Does anyone have any tutorials for UDK materials? I know how to import my meshes to UDK and create brushes and whatnot but I have no idea how to work with materials.

3Dmotive got some good udk material tutorials only they aren't free :/
  • r3spawn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sakunia wrote: »
    3Dmotive got some good udk material tutorials only they aren't free :/

I don't mind paying if it's for something that will help me get closer to my dream career (3d artist for a game developer) :P
  • Hristo Rusanov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hristo Rusanov polycounter lvl 7
    r3spawn wrote: »
    These covers the very basics.
    http://download.udk.com/tutorials/using-udk/materials.zip
  • Mathew O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    Hey guys, I've blocked out my guardian lions and popped them into the scene to see how they look. I quite like them but I was wondering what you guys though?, they are quite different to the concept.

AsemEqE.jpg
    1C39LrW.jpg
  • Athomield
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The concept is showing this is not for noobs :p
    i'm in anyways :D
  • Tomm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^ Statues are awesome, but I think the reflection on that water is too strong.

I spend way too much time painting the textures.. so slow
    and I'm still not satisfied with it.

pool_texture_wip.jpg
  • Moonshank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moonshank polycounter lvl 7
    Mathew O I like those Lion statues :D the only thing is your going to need to keep that sort of art style consistent. So like the little person (statue) you might want to look for something that fits that sort of Chinese style I guess. Same goes for the design on the door. Chinese Zodiac maybe??
  • Mathew O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    Hmmm I know what you guys mean, I guess I was hoping that once the arms were posed properly (Like in the concept) the statue would feel more like a monk than anything else but I don't know if it's coming across that way... Maybe I'll take a break from the more complex bit and start figuring out my modular pieces while I see what others to do with it.
  • Moonshank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tomm Are you just straight painting these in PS or are you making sculpts to get the AO from them. If your not it might help speed things up.
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrOneTwo polycounter lvl 12
    Ok exams are done! ( at least I hope. I will know on monday if I'm free. If not I don't know if I will be able to finish it in a reasonable time frame :/).

I started today. And thats what I got. Sculpts are rather early wips.

IGhIpY.png

It's a modo render. I will probably use Unity for this one... I don't know if I can pull it off with Unity but I really like it. I though about making it hand painted. Here is a test I made :

k00muw.png

I don't know if I can really finish it hand painted... I messed with handpainted stuff but I think I lack experience to finish whole scene in this style. Also I think I will try to make it golden not greenish like in concept. Not sure about this one too but For sure will mess with colour pallette.
  • Moonshank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blockout.PNG

Well here is my initial block-out going to get it in engine and see how things look.
  • OtrickP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OtrickP polycounter lvl 9
    Is it possible to add multiple textures to a single solid in cryengine? I might just model the floor out in max or model the tiled bricks by the water and make a plane then just overlap in cryengine, any tips?

Vertex painting, detail maps?

blends two textures to get your desired effect. Makes more maps however.

Just use smart interchangeable/tiling textures.
  • MisterSande
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MisterSande polycounter lvl 8
    damn me for being sick this weekend, wanted to start sculpting >_>

Those statues look awesome, its about time I learn how to do something similar.
  • Tomm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Moonshank I'm only using PS and I want to learn it the hard way :\ .. also I'm not planning to use normal maps, only diffuse.

Wall texture wip

stone_wall_wip.jpg
  • FactoriesBurning
    MrOneTwo wrote: »

It's a modo render. I will probably use Unity for this one... I don't know if I can pull it off with Unity but I really like it..

Ok. So I won't be the only one using Unity :)

You use modo too? You and I could get along.
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah because who needs those UDKs and 3dsmaxs ( ok I still love max but it's just so retarded nowadays...). I hope you know what you doing using Unity... because I don't :D I know the basics and really like it but don't know how to achieve as good result as in UDK.
  • anthperri
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joined just to participate in these, LETS LEARN!

Anybody foresee any issue with me using Unity? I'm on a mac here and I'm pretty sure UDK isn't available on mac yet.
  • FactoriesBurning
    I know Unity really well from a scripting and prototyping standpoint. I'm not terribly strong with lighting and materials, but i'll figure it out.

I'm not actually using modo for this project. I'm using Maya (tsk tsk on me). I wanted to learn Modo really badly, but ultimately always found my modeling more efficient in Maya. Really, we should all use Blender to avoid paying any $$

EDIT: Blender, Gimp, Sculptris, Unity. That is what we should all be using.
  • EddieG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New guy here who cant wait to get started. Heres my breakdown.
  • FactoriesBurning
    I made a quick video showing how Photoshop's vanishing point tool can be helpful in the initial stage.

Photoshop - Vanishing Point - YouTube

you get an award for most useful post. this is blowing my mind right now.
  • Hristo Rusanov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hristo Rusanov polycounter lvl 7
    My initial block-out in UDK.Overal i'm happy but still need alot of tweaking.

Btw first when i saw the concept i was thinking that the circle thing is door but now i think is more like place where is stored artefact or something...

Noob_002_zps623f6765.jpg
  • RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    fdxf_zps2c631def.png
    I have a UV seam I cant seem to get rid of help me?
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How do you imagine unwraping cylinder without any seam ?
  • Moonshank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Make it straight for a start like ||||||||||||||||| If those were a lot longer if you get what I mean
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Make it straight and make sure the UVs go from 0-1 on the U axis. That should do it...
  • Lucky.Outlook
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really excited to model this concept out. I hardly get away from modeling exterior environments. This is going to be great practice! I look forward to seeing everybody's work!
  • benji
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    benji polycounter lvl 7
    Nice work everyone, Mathew, looking badass already!!

Looking forward to getting going with the sculpting on this one, for now here's my vague plan; the rest is in my head :) Let me know if I you see something I've missed

noob4plan.jpg
  • rockguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blazed : Dont worry man its only day 2.

Also is that your final texture or just in progress?
  • rockguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blazed: Ahaha I'm saying that since the challenge has just begun its hard to give feedback since a lot is work in progress.

As for your model since your gonna go back to work on it later , theres no much I can say that wont be too obvious, looks good just need more detail.

EDIT: with detail I mean more dirt in the edges and moss on the botom since its close to the water.
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    Tempted to do the entire thing with ddo to make alex mad..

Or maybe i should not use it but say i did... Or the other way round.. Hmm
  • tkfxity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progress so far... Adding in the pillars right now. Added some randomness to the bricks. Also made it look out of alignment, and tilted due to its old nature.

Wall texture is there in place of something else for later.

Also decided to go with brick models for the whole floor rather then a tileable texture. I feel like that having a model instead of a texture gives me more control later on.

Also I feel like the concept is like the last challenge. The left side of the image and where the camera is shooting from looks like it should be a wall, but I guess you can interpret a image in many many ways. :D

Anyone got any feedback?

86571.JPG

8009Capture.JPG
  • rockguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tkfxity : Hey man welcome back , not much to say since is very early in the project , it does looks bigger than the concept bu I dont think its will be a problem , also nice one with offcamera wall been rocks, it will be good to add some debree to looks the wall colapsed.

good luck man.
  • joshschmitt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joshschmitt polycounter lvl 11
    tkfxity wrote: »
    Progress so far... Adding in the pillars right now. Added some randomness to the bricks. Also made it look out of alignment, and tilted due to its old nature.

Wall texture is there in place of something else for later.

Also decided to go with brick models for the whole floor rather then a tileable texture. I feel like that having a model instead of a texture gives me more control later on.

Also I feel like the concept is like the last challenge. The left side of the image and where the camera is shooting from looks like it should be a wall, but I guess you can interpret a image in many many ways. :D

Anyone got any feedback?

I think you should use a texture and not model out the bricks, you can model some bricks and have them extrude from the ground like in the right hand side of the picture.

Using POM would make the bricks stand out and its not necessary to model the bricks.
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    biofrost polycounter lvl 12
    Great looking stuff guys. Mine is super early as well, just have a blockout and a early texture for the edge around the pool.

4qSFGDS.jpg
    SVRbvna.png
    bVfGfHL.png
  • Moonshank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    biofrost is that all one texture from the sculpt?

Looks like everyone is posting progress of their trims so I'll throw mine out there as well. Not sorted out a spec yet as I'm not 100% finished the diffuse right now. Crits if anyone's got any
    TRIM.PNG
  • UltraLrod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UltraLrod polycounter lvl 7
    Everyone so far ahead. =( Finally got mine up and running. Tried matching my camera in Maya as close as I can to the photo. I'll be using Unity for the game engine. Hopefully I'll be able to complete it within a month. Enjoying to see what everyone's doing.

Enviro001_zpsdb581f7b.png
  • R0gu3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Howdy! Looks like I'm gunna give a go at this as well... However I may be a little bit more noobish than I care to admit >.<
  • lamar McHaney
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lamar McHaney polycounter lvl 9
    Here is my prep for the challenge so far:

Prep.jpg
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    biofrost polycounter lvl 12
    Moonshank wrote: »
    biofrost is that all one texture from the sculpt?

Yeah I just sculpted and baked one row and copied the rest and rotated it.
  • Brandon Kern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brandon Kern polycounter lvl 11
    So, I'm just about finished my blockout. I know what I'm going to make modular and what is going to be a single asset... I was trying to see how my floors and wall would tile, and for the trim on the ground I'm thinking of making 2-3 different textures for the same module and mixing it up between the 10 sections I need. I've also decided to leave out a couple of extra pillars that don't make any sense in relation to the scale of everything else, and on top of that I've sorta blocked out more of the outside of the concept art with stairs and rock and such! Let me know what you guys think :)

SCREENIES:
    1WJVK
    1WJVf
    1WJV6

MODULARITY TEST:
    1WJP6
  • Tomm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good man, I love the idea of stairs leading up to the actual scene/concept .. I shall steal that idea :poly142: huehuehue
  • tkfxity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calling it a night! Took your guys advice and took out the brick models and replaced it with a texture.

Been working on the part of the wall thats not in the concept almsot the whole day.

Remember guys, SAVE YOUR WORK OFTEN! I forgot to save before building my lighting and UDK crashed on me... blew balls, so I had to replace all the rocks.

47001.JPG
    293Capture.JPG
    54842.JPG
  • Brandon Kern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brandon Kern polycounter lvl 11
    Tomm wrote: »
    Looking good man, I love the idea of stairs leading up to the actual scene/concept .. I shall steal that idea :poly142: huehuehue

hehe no worries, you better one up me though so I have some competition on that part thus giving me motivation to make it good!

tkfxity - Nice, I'm really liking your rock wall, it's looking good man.
  • Raindance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raindance polycounter lvl 7
    Hello! I hope I'm not too late. I want to join this challenge. I'm not new to udk and 3ds max modeling, so I will do my best to finish the scene. The most hard part for me will be texturing the scene.
    I have created a simple blockaut with udk meshes and simple long columns, that I made a long time ago. Next step for me will be creating new columns and door.
    F55i0mh.jpg?1
  • RogelioD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RogelioD polycounter lvl 12
    Warming up with some Pillar Scuptin!

6qm4PII.jpg
  • MisterSande
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MisterSande polycounter lvl 8
    nice work guys!

I am wondering how/we should do the floor tiles... should we sculpt 1 tileable mesh and duplicate that + vertex paint OR should we make 1 big mesh and use a tilable texture + vertex paint ?

Also thinking of making all the walls from 1 texture. First sculpt a tilable wall in zbrush, check for tileability in photoshop > texture > make several uber basic meshes for the walls to tile on in max.
  • Brygelsmack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    Brandon I like that you're imagining the scene as part of a larger room! Looking forward to see the result.
  • Lilith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys, started on blockout
    noob4screen01.jpg