Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Monthly Noob Challenge 3

Replies

• vikingfunk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vikingfunk polycounter lvl 5
    Modeled in Maya, as I have to learn it for my work. I was so fed up I just finished it in Max, time to texture.
    H7IlY.jpg

I'm slowly chipping away at this and want to finish.
    Update: Someone please crit my texture.
    ANnvg.jpg

Texture is really nice but could use some more scratches around the top of the warning indent, where the bottom of the padlock would hang. When you lock a cabinet like that (powder coated metal) the padlock will swing, and scratch and chip that area. Often even indenting the cabinet metal, (although it may be a little late to make changes and rebake the model.)

Also, the spec seems a little too consistent. May be hard to break up without changing the colour texture, but it just feels like there should be less spec around the middle of the left hand side where you'd open the door, at least.

Loving your scene so far. Can't wait to see it finished. :)
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    Athomield wrote: »
    looks awsome :) i guess it's cryengine 3, am i right ?

Yes it is, but you show crit my texture I'm super serious.

Those are some good ideas Vikingfunk thanks:)
    I also did do some of the scratches and felt it made it too busy but I'll add some. I made some changes.
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    wirrexx quad damage

I also did do some of the scratches and felt it made it too busy but I'll add some.

I love it, the modelling is great.
    However it looks way to clean at the moment. And the reflections are way to high, try tuning down the reflection and maybe adding rust. (Its a basement and there's a pipe over it, maybe water drops have hit the outlet for some reason?!)

Just a thought.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx wrote: »
    I love it, the modelling is great.
    However it looks way to clean at the moment. And the reflections are way to high, try tuning down the reflection and maybe adding rust. (Its a basement and there's a pipe over it, maybe water drops have hit the outlet for some reason?!)

Just a thought.

I don't wanna make it too dirty that it looks like something from fallout. I do really like the water droplet idea. I'll prolly decide how I want to add that later as I really like that idea a lot.
  • Athomield
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I also did do some of the scratches and felt it made it too busy but I'll add some. I made some changes.

i really loved the textures so much ! i think maybe more few scratches on the hard edges would make it more realistic.
  • cmtanko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cmtanko polycounter lvl 10
    Had been working on the lighting. Did something on here. Here it goes.. I am not sure, which version I would prefer. Would fix some of the texturing issues later once, I am happy with the total lighting.Here are 2 versions. Which one do you like ? Any suggestions, because for lighting, whatever I do , it looks like its better[which is not correct though] LOL.
    WIP%239b.jpg
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-R45vgllaHyw/UPpejeNU3YI/AAAAAAAAAX8/SaiRvzjhvaY/s1600/WIP%239a.jpg

Also, I feel like , I wasted so much time modeling assets that dont even show up well ? Does everthing look flat ?
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cmtanko wrote: »
    Had been working on the lighting. Did something on here. Here it goes.. I am not sure, which version I would prefer. Would fix some of the texturing issues later once, I am happy with the total lighting.Here are 2 versions. Which one do you like ? Any suggestions, because for lighting, whatever I do , it looks like its better[which is not correct though] LOL.
    WIP%239b.jpg
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-R45vgllaHyw/UPpejeNU3YI/AAAAAAAAAX8/SaiRvzjhvaY/s1600/WIP%239a.jpg

Also, I feel like , I wasted so much time modeling assets that dont even show up well ? Does everthing look flat ?

You need to brighten it up so we can see stuff!
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    wirrexx quad damage
    WIP%239b.jpg

To dark my friend, it's really hard to see the scene and point out what could've been better or what's already good=)
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add lights. :) Seriously, it doesn't have to match real life. Hollywood it up! Add some atmospheric fog sheets to give the scene some depth, add some ambient light, add some fill lights of complementary colors, etc. Dress 'er up!
  • cmtanko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm... LOL , Is my screen too bright or the scene really dark ...

What about this, Had been trying things.
    Changes:
    -pillar model
    -stair texture
    -fog
    -more lights

wip%2311.jpg
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm... LOL , Is my screen too bright or the scene really dark ...

What about this, Had been trying things.
    Changes:
    -pillar model
    -stair texture
    -fog
    -more lights

wip%2311.jpg
    You need to add lights downstairs.
  • cmtanko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    still dark ??? hmm.. I'll try again once I reach home...
    [But Can I make the stairs still the focal point, if I light part ? ]
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    still dark ??? hmm.. I'll try again once I reach home...
    [But Can I make the stairs still the focal point, if I light part ? ]

I have 3 monitors and it looks dark on all of them, they are all set correctly also.
    waBgA3U.jpg
    something like this but darker, the issue with that wood makes it hard to add contrast without looking odd.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
  • MrsNomingtons
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrsNomingtons polycounter lvl 12
    Hi guys :) Decided to take part this month and have been working on this low key. I started a bit late so I kept it brief and took on the corner of the room from the staircase and onwards.

I decided to go for the hand painted approach and it's been a lot of fun so far. I'd like to be able to do a bit of storytelling and add some extra stuff if I can manage it. I picked up the challenge as soon as I finished The Walking Dead game and the style had a bit of effect on me so I'm going for that look and that mood. And for those who have played it, I'm trying to go for what the barn episode achieved.

20thJan_01_zps48c10637.png

20thJan_02_zps0073347e.png

Still got loads to do, loads of placeholders and sketchy looking things. But I thought I'd post and say hello!
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys :) Decided to take part this month and have been working on this low key. I started a bit late so I kept it brief and took on the corner of the room from the staircase and onwards.

I decided to go for the hand painted approach and it's been a lot of fun so far. I'd like to be able to do a bit of storytelling and add some extra stuff if I can manage it. I picked up the challenge as soon as I finished The Walking Dead game and the style had a bit of effect on me so I'm going for that look and that mood. And for those who have played it, I'm trying to go for what the barn episode achieved.

Still got loads to do, loads of placeholders and sketchy looking things. But I thought I'd post and say hello!

Looks good man.
    NOW FINISH IT.
    If you want.
  • cmtanko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks AlexCatMasterSupreme for pointing all those issues...Really appreciate taking time to help me out.

I have been working on those...
    Some of the issues are weird. I dont have idea
    -whats going on with the roof wood beam[some dark,some bright]-Pipes, I tried to fix it long ago, but it just give me too dark unless, I brighten up the light.. I'll try again
    Will fix all those soon..

-Stairs textures aren't that dark, I guess its the lighting thats darkening up ...
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks AlexCatMasterSupreme for pointing all those issues...Really appreciate taking time to help me out.

I have been working on those...
    Some of the issues are weird. I dont have idea
    -whats going on with the roof wood beam[some dark,some bright]-Pipes, I tried to fix it long ago, but it just give me too dark unless, I brighten up the light.. I'll try again
    Will fix all those soon..

-Stairs textures aren't that dark, I guess its the lighting thats darkening up ...
    You should post your diffuse, have you darkened it or maaybe you could darken it in your diffuse in UDK?

Bake:done
    ukHS9Fs.jpg
  • rockguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I been doing some test with the lighting , still alot to fix , tomorrow I will export the rest of the props.

Highres_Screenshot_0008_zpsa860ffd5.jpg

Highres_Screenshot_00009_zps721d0042.jpg

Highres_Screenshot_00010_zpsf8a24578.jpg
  • rockguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I still have no idea how to make the celling less dark , I guess is for the direction of the light source
  • andylisk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    andylisk polycounter lvl 8
    ggoetSy.jpgZz3aDZJ.jpg9OePUBm.jpgI guess I can say I'm close to done. Still need to add in more duplicate props, pipes here and there, tune the lighting some more, add a ceiling texture made of that corrugated metal, right now the ceiling above the wood is default gray/blue grid udk material. But the issue is that just like a lot of people, you can't see it anything on the ceiling anyways. A bold way I'm thinking of is to aim a spotlight upwards at the ceiling, but the thought is so crazy I have to wrap my head around it before doing it.
  • thegeist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thegeist polycounter lvl 4
    Almost too late ... anyways heres my very rough blockout:

Blockout1_zps0828a465.jpeg
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rockguy wrote: »
    I still have no idea how to make the celling less dark , I guess is for the direction of the light source

That looks a MILLION times better, good job man!

And andy why is your floor green?
  • cmtanko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Rockguy: I think your door should be pushed abit inside, right now seems like its not part of the wall
  • cmtanko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update: Redid the lighting from start, fixed some issues with the pipes and the roof.
    still working on it, but just for update, here it goes
    wip%2311.jpg
    and the stair diffuse,
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-c4mdOg-hXyg/UP2NsTj6ScI/AAAAAAAAAY8/YhIJJJBU104/s1600/stairs_color.jpg
  • rockguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cmtanko : Hey man that looks way better , there's some things I would like to point out .

The door it does looks stretch for some reason and the walls while the texture looks really good, something about the specularity of the bricks makes them looks like wallpaper rather than actual concrete.

By the way you can set your emmisive in your lamps to create actual light, it will help alot your scene , check that out in the obect properties , that's what I did with mines.

Hope that's useful.

EDIT. Thanks for the advice on the door

• andylisk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That looks a MILLION times better, good job man!

And andy why is your floor green?

The lights. I haven't changed any colours in the floor textures at all. I'm still meddling around with what the lighting setup should be, that on top with a bunch of weird issues like the lights wouldn't cast shadows unless you select them.
  • rockguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    andylisk : Are you using udk ? if so, hows your light setup?
  • andylisk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    andylisk : Are you using udk ? if so, hows your light setup?
    Here is a screenshot to for the setup.IxY4r7v.jpgA spotlight will light up a 'major region' in the scene. These are focused, high intensity(value > 1) coloured lights. Beside each spotlight there is a pointlight with low intensity, rgb set to white, but with a low value, and cast no shadows. I use these as ambient lights so you can see the surrounding stuff, like the drain pipes which are outside the area of influence of the spotlights. Then there is a dominant spotlight above the stairs.

rockguy I think your lighting looks a bit harsh. I don't know what your setup is, but I think you are illuminating too much of the scene, hence its too uniform. Instead you may want to create darker areas in some places so there is more contrast. And are you using any specular maps?
  • cmtanko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ rockguy: Thanks man,
    -Doors, I dont think it's stretched, maybe due to camera angle or something ?
    -Yeah, I did used object emmisive to .
    -Wall: Goshhhh... I am having problem with that too, WHY DOES EVERYTHING LOOK FLAT AFTER BAKE ? :'( ..... that why was playing with the specular and lights to make that wall show some normal which is not so prominent though. Any suggestions ?

• rockguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cmtanko : mmm I will have to see the maetrial itself try posting and screen shot if you can , but meaby this can help .

double click your normal map and be sure to to check the compression settings and changed it to tc_normal map and that and in unpack min everyting is -1 in node 0,1 and 2

hope it helps , let me check if I still have a tutorial for that.
  • cmtanko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, I did used compression setting to tc_normal, also, I can see the normal map when I position/move lightings but as soon as I hit the Bake, it goes lil flat... I'll post the material later [in material editor, its shows fine though]
  • rockguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wait , does your normal map has an alpha channel?
  • cmtanko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Lowered some of the values , how that looking , better or worse?

Highres_Screenshot_00000_zpsbab1c5c3.jpg

your normal map for the brick looks backwards or upside, i think thats why youre getting some really awful highlights
  • rockguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChrisPerr : Thanks man , but thats a really old post , I posted the changes yesterday, its on page 21 if you want to check it out.

Edit: Got curious and checked your volcano scene .....BADASS!
  • rockguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A quick update with the smallest props for the scene.

Highres_Screenshot_000props00_zps1628d4d5.jpg
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A quick update with the smallest props for the scene.

Highres_Screenshot_000props00_zps1628d4d5.jpg

Your scene has a very painterly look. The only thing that really is bothering me is the grout on the walls or between the bricks looks muddy.
    I am starting to like your scene a lot!
    Next month hopefully we'll all do better.
    I am not sure if I will be doing it next month, but I'll be around critting and such. Got my new job so we'll see how that all works. (just an fyi) I'll make sure to keep this all going well.
    Also, some decals and random dirt placements will help break up the tile, you just need to polish it man!
  • rockguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme : Thanks man , mmm I guess Im gonna have to fix the spec in the walls I think theres the problem.

Also dirt and cracks its what I doing today.
  • karmiclychee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice work, AlexCatMasterSupreme! My only suggestion is that the big dent you have there looks... odd. Taking a dent that size would mess up machine finish of the metal. I'd do some scratches on the interior (not wear, but like a big surface gouge or something) and weather the lip of the dent a tad, maybe add a tiny bit of spec highlight.
  • Moosebish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moosebish polycounter lvl 12
    I finally have some color in my scene!

I think I'm going to play with taking the concept literally and having light come in from the front and side where there are no walls visible. I think it might be kind of neat to make it doll house-ish.. We'll see...

Textures are all still WIPS..

dnfGWfL.jpg
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice work, AlexCatMasterSupreme! My only suggestion is that the big dent you have there looks... odd. Taking a dent that size would mess up machine finish of the metal. I'd do some scratches on the interior (not wear, but like a big surface gouge or something) and weather the lip of the dent a tad, maybe add a tiny bit of spec highlight.

I shall, evvvveryone has mentioned that when I show them that. Hell even my girlfriend who doesn't know anything about 3d...
  • tkfxity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small update! Modelled out some more props to make the scene more interesting. Added a workbench(which i will change due to texture stretch on edges), some cabinets, a toolbox thingy, a vice, and a handsaw. Need to model little hooks to put on the walls so the handsaw isnt just floating there. Also going to model some more tools out and throw them along the workbench. Then after Im done modeling this part of the scene ill start to texture them.

4929Capture.JPG
    3432Capture.JPG
  • tkfxity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also finalized my lighting. I think it looks perfect to set the mood in!

7649Capture.JPG
  • andylisk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nwPPHSE.jpgnvPD7iU.jpgWXNwGg0.jpgIm trying out a slightly different approach to the lighting. As well as adding some more decals for kicks. I hope this is allowed, but since I'm in charge of my own project no one is telling me I can't do it!

But yeah, crit away please. And I'm getting this weird issue with the main spotlight from upstairs if I don't select it the ceiling won't occlude it and make shadows to the basement, then everything else I don't want gets lit. If anyone can suggest something that'll be great.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tkfxity wrote: »
    Also finalized my lighting. I think it looks perfect to set the mood in!

7649Capture.JPG

There is almost no shadows, the lighting is extremely uniform and is lacking any sort of emotion.
    I would try toning down the main light and add some point lights and warm the scene a bit.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There is almost no shadows, the lighting is extremely uniform and is lacking any sort of emotion.
    I would try toning down the main light and add some point lights and warm the scene a bit.

Also andy your images are not loading for me.
  • andylisk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also andy your images are not loading for me.

There were some previous threads I've been to as well where they say "here's an art dump!" (ok not exactly) and I can't see any images.

If you can't see them I honestly don't know whats going on.

here are the links though:
    http://i.imgur.com/nwPPHSE.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/nvPD7iU.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/WXNwGg0.jpg
  • tkfxity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was hoping someone would figure out that the lighting was a joke, I just turned on Unlit mode in UDK. :D

And I can see andys pictures. Ive had that problem too, sometimes people wont see some of my uploaded pictures, but others can. Who knows what causes it.

@andy - One piece of crit, the floor is too green. When i look at your pictures, my eyes are quickly drawn to the green floor first.
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    wirrexx quad damage
    anybody that could point me out to good Boiler pictures or electricity box? cause i've been looking through google. NOTHING! :/