Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• warkarma
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warkarma polycounter lvl 10
    Hey guys I have a problem with bones for my weapon, I tried skinning on weapon and root but still get the same problem. The weapon is huge and is in different place.

wtf2.jpg

Is there any guids on how to skin for Dota 2 ? Coz I cant find anything.

HELP PLZ!!!

----
    Edit
    ----
    OK, I found out what is the problem and how to rescale the weapon. It looks like I am exporting the FBX incorrectly. my Right side view is actually my Top side view. Any ideas what am I doing wrong ?
  • Potato FoSho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyone have any tips on MAKING the mask1/2 textures? I know what the color channels do and thought that I knew how to make them, but when I ported it in it wasn't shiny/showing the effects of masks at all.
    Using valves mask1 made it look much better but It's not really gonna work out to submit an item without a custom mask.
    If someone could walk me through the process of making the mask from your color map (or is it from the color map I don't even know) or point me in the direction of a tutorial on how to edit the channels correctly I'd love you forever.
  • Dvonio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dvonio polycounter lvl 4
    To the ones who get the weapon in the wrong position or huge and so on

My problem was that I was using 3ds Max 2012, i dont know why but the export from there works bad, really bad.

Did the same process on 2011 and 2013 and works fine.

And for huge problems the scale of your weapon has to be 100, if you need to scale your weapon, enter on edit poly mode, and select element, then scale it from there.

Hope it helps !
  • Starcofski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Eleryn, though that kinda stinks.

Attempted to upload my headpiece into the client; got an error of: "Skeleton Error: can't find joint 59". Seems like I have more than just material issues now.

Below is my concept drawing, along with imgur links to the current status (done modeling and rigging).

Kjs5r.png

http://imgur.com/No5KC
    http://imgur.com/fmTQL
  • warkarma
  • panter_d17
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dvonio wrote: »
    what am i doing wrong?

3ds? use x force, collapse, attach to bone. Worked for me.
  • Radiocity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have problems with my qc file or the Gustudiomdl:

ERROR: c:\users\desktop\lifestealer\exp\mdldecompiler.qc(7): - Unknown replace model 'life_stealer_model'
    ERROR: Aborted Processing on 'heroes/life_stealer/life_stealer.mdl'

Can someone tech me how to set up all the folders and the QC file :( ?

Should I post a Video of my Workflow and u can see whats wrong ?
  • ArchoX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Reserved]

PS: Delete if you can. Bad reply. Thanks.
  • kageko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey guys, just wanted to drop by and say that ive been lurking on this forum for a long time, this thread helped immensely when i was trying to start working with the dota models.

also, heres a courier im working on:
    wip.jpg
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    Radiocity wrote: »

ERROR: c:\users\desktop\lifestealer\exp\mdldecompiler.qc(7): - Unknown replace model 'life_stealer_model'

this is probably a wrong path on the qc for the model, you could post your qc file so we can see it better a try to find the error
    zicoV wrote: »

@Tvidotto, thanks :) Here is a screenshot from the side. I do actually feel it's a little to flat from this angle so i just might do something about that

witchdoctorwip2.jpg

its no flat how i was thinking, i really like the idea =]
    Qwiggalo wrote: »
    Just remake the particle systems in whatever you're using to render.

saying like that appears to be easy =]
    RREYGUN wrote: »
    guys im kinda confused. Ive been doing a lot of reading for making items. They have emphasized that lod1 shouldn't go over 4k triangles. Yet, when I open the models inside maya and select the geos, most of them, if not all, go over their intended budget. For example right now I have Axe's model open. The tris count is 5.9k. Can anyone clear this up for me?

i noticed that too, some couriers also pass the budget

my bet is that they are letting those "details" when they decide the characters, some of them are still changing like the new pudge now
    Starcofski wrote: »
    Hey guys, first post here. I've been working on a set for OD for the past week and before I start texturing, I have to ask; do I need to do anything special for a particle system? For example, I'm trying to add a glow effect similar to wisp, but I am unsure whether to just use the standard particle system given (using 3ds Max 2010).

a glow effect can be achieved with the self ilumination on the texture

you can check it on my dragon on the pink tail end or the eyes
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=84991947
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gheromo wrote: »
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=89528555 finished my bow now. :)
    Rate please if you like it.

GHRSu.jpg

better to show what i was thinking
    RunG6.jpg

that what i meant with the thirds

for me it have a better appeal =]
  • ionic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi all, please, can someone tell me how in Maya i can create Uv with size 2048x1024, instead of 2048x2048. If in UV snapshot i changing the aspect ratio on the 2048x1024 grid simply compressed.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ionic wrote: »
    Hi all, please, can someone tell me how in Maya i can create Uv with size 2048x1024, instead of 2048x2048. If in UV snapshot i changing the aspect ratio on the 2048x1024 grid simply compressed.
    just dont care about the uv size and fill just half of the height

fill from 0 to 0,5
  • Radiocity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can somone help me at #1159 pls ?

´
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can somone help me at #1159 pls ?

´
    i answered you already
  • feracon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To get started on your particle systems you'll want to launch HL2 with the "-tools" launch condition. This will boot into tools mode. Go from the top menu Tools>Particle editor.

If you're familiar with Maya dynamics most of these properties should be easy to understand. Create a new particle system, assign it a sprite renderer, an emitter, and initializers to customize it.

You can create multiple systems to be the child of other systems to create more interesting effects. Once you're done save it as a .pcs and include it in your submission to valve.

To view it in game I believe you can add the .pcs file to the dota 2 test client particle manifest .txt however, I am unclear where to specify the attachment of the file to the item itself. It may be in the QC at compiling or it could be specified elsewhere.

That's all I know on particles so far.
  • feracon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ionic wrote: »

Work at 1x1 ratio till you're ready to submit to Valve, simply make sure when you're setting up your UVs you only use one half of the area.

When your textures are finalized and you're ready to preview change your canvase size to 1:0.5 and export your maps.

Also I would strongly advise against using anything over 1024 for your source textures. You will be resampling down to 256x in most cases and your UV borders can bleed badly when coming down from such a high resolution. 1024 might even be too high, but that has worked well for me so far.

***The above may cause your UVs to be offset. If this is the case, take your source texture document with your UVs in the upper half and make a copy of that UV layer. Select that half image and stretch it across the whole of the canvas. Export this stretched black and white UV now and apply it to the color channel of your model. In the UV editor match your models UVs with this image now, by selecting all the UVs and scaling them in that axis till they line up. Export this model and use it with your 256x128 textures now, the UVs will align properly. ***
  • feracon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

It might be better to just use the in game compiler, GUIstudio is a pain in the ass.
  • feracon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warkarma wrote: »
    Hey guys I have a problem with bones for my weapon, I tried skinning on weapon and root but still get the same problem. The weapon is huge and is in different place.

Is there any guids on how to skin for Dota 2 ? Coz I cant find anything.

HELP PLZ!!!

----
    Edit
    ----
    OK, I found out what is the problem and how to rescale the weapon. It looks like I am exporting the FBX incorrectly. my Right side view is actually my Top side view. Any ideas what am I doing wrong ?

Make sure you're deleting history and **Freezing transformations** before exporting your fbx file. Use the provided source models for the character to help you with scaling the item.
  • Qwiggalo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Qwiggalo polycounter lvl 8
    feracon wrote: »
    It might be better to just use the in game compiler, GUIstudio is a pain in the ass.

Amen
  • crazyone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyone polycounter lvl 5
    Druid Shoulder WIP , basic color
    KHkrA.png
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyone wrote: »
    Druid Shoulder WIP , basic color

awesome texture!
  • Y_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    Submitted these three to the workshop just now. Clickable images like a boss:
    44DEDDE91492EBEAA2E1A3C899DF72C8B9D3A361391250228DF8E9C93E946BD62CBF7051CDDE522D09F642D5A849DCECEEF628EB4ACD563B8ECE26ED
  • MaVCArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MaVCArt polycounter lvl 8
    hi guys

i've been reading up on this thread on how to get my items inside the dota 2 test build,
    but for some reason my hero keeps displaying without a weapon in his hand.

I've seen that feracon had this problem as well, but I don't know if it got solved, I can't see the solution anywhere.

can anyone help me with this?

i unpacked the .vtf file to the corresponding directory, and renamed the vtf afterward, so the engine is loading the default items fine (except for the sword, i'm thinking the .smd isn't working), but as I said, the sword isn't displaying.

the source files from the sword I took from the .zip file the workshop compiler created when I submitted my item, so they presumably should work, so why don't they?
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MaVCArt wrote: »
    hi guys

i've been reading up on this thread on how to get my items inside the dota 2 test build,

I've seen that feracon had this problem as well, but I don't know if it got solved, I can't see the solution anywhere.

i unpacked the .vtf file to the corresponding directory, and renamed the vtf afterward, so the engine is loading the default items fine (except for the sword, i'm thinking the .smd isn't working), but as I said, the sword isn't displaying.

the source files from the sword I took from the .zip file the workshop compiler created when I submitted my item, so they presumably should work, so why don't they?

did you test on the model viewer? can be from source sdk or alienswarm sdk or sfm sdk

alien swarm is the best for now

the problem can be alot of things, a wrong path on the qc, a wrong compiling for example

how is you qc file? or the compiler from game creates his own and you dont have access to it?
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys

updates on my new courier

UHJfi.jpg
    0F52X.jpg

i tried to add feathers to the owl´s wings with a lot of different tecniques but i decided to do that on photoshop later with the help of the ndo2 plugin

the fur was hard too, i was looking for the style of the juggernaut dog´s fur and took a long time to get the result that i wanted

i also tested the retopology on the zbrush, my backpack was made of almost 10 parts and i was going to transform in just 3, the retopology is awesome but painful...

i wasnt sure if it was my lack of experience so i decided to do the retopology again on the cat and it was worse hahaha

YVXhS.jpg

my lowpoly is almost there, i need to have 3500 tris to the lod0 and 3000 to lod1, im with 3824 for now, a couple more and im done

anyone knows if the engine supports blend shapes? i want to animate better the face on the portrait and im almost sure that the dota characters uses blend shapes

---
    update
    3488 tris

yay!
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    I'm loving it. It's got character, and cuteness!

If I could make any suggestion, and this isn't needed (It'd just be neat) if you changed that axe into a Battle Fury
    Battle_Fury.png

I have no idea if the engine supports blend shapes. Sorry :(
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eleryn wrote: »
    I'm loving it. It's got character, and cuteness!

If I could make any suggestion, and this isn't needed (It'd just be neat) if you changed that axe into a Battle Fury
    Battle_Fury.png

I have no idea if the engine supports blend shapes. Sorry :(

GREAT IDEA! =]

i still have some triangles to spare
  • feracon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MaVCArt wrote: »
    hi guys

I've tried this with both a DK and Kunkka sword i made, both cases the characters appear empty handed. No clue how to fix it. These are the compiled files being submitted to valve im using they should be fine considering they also preview upon submission just fine.
  • Solution
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Continued work on a blade i had been working on, taking into account suggestions from HoodedSniper @Emporium (Thanks); And have now made a weapon for Phantom Lancer. Low (Should be) & high poly ready.

I'm still slightly new to the process, so; whats the next step in reaching the submission to the workshop.

Is anyone interested in texturing this?
    MNX55.png?1
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    I have been fiddling with an Axe set, which is a mostly a study in understanding some of the processes involved in compiling assets for Dota 2 and to help lay down a basic pipeline for future assets.

Im not 100% satisfied with a few areas but i have spent way more time than im comfortable with and feel i need to wrap this guy up. Would love some feedback before i submit, so if anything jumps out at you please let me know :)

This first image is a straight screen grab from max of the lod1 mesh and 256x256 textures. I wasnt able to find a good way of previewing the entire set at once within source that supported all the masks and attachments.

axepreviewermaxgrab.jpg

and individually in the in game previewer

Weapon

axeweaponpreviewer.jpg

Belt

axebeltpreviewer.jpg

Helm

axehelmpreviewer.jpg

Armor

axeshoulderpreviewer.jpg

I ran into a few issues with Axe, mostly i found inconsistency's in the package supplied on the workshop website and the assets extracted from the game files.

The obvious one of the textures being packed differently wasn't to much of a stretch, but i did find myself doing multiple tests due to the green/red channels being switched on the normal maps. The extracted versions looked to work correctly.

The rig was also offset in the downloaded package with the extracted version looking to match up with the in game previewer.

Also listed on the website for Axe item slots you have, head, armor, weapon, belt and misc. However on preview in game there is a section for shoulder armor (300tri) and armor (400tri). Doesnt seem like a big deal untill your testing a mostly wrapped up shoulder asset for the first time :poly124:
  • ArchoX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Solution: Now you must made the maps and then make a texture(color map). Do you know how? I can help if you want. And the texturing, I am interested doing it, but I am not THAT good. But can I try it? ^^

Lennyagony: The axe looks a-mazing! Very nice work.
  • DimakSerpg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello all!

I have such problem

The subject didn't change in the size
    Bones adhered

af7f100455fa.png
    1e100f90b6ba.png
  • ArchoX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DimakSerpg : If you are using the 3dsmax, why you just dont import valve model first, then put yours and then move it on the old valve model with xform reseted. And then add bones.

I have never had problem with this technique.
  • DimakSerpg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ArchoX wrote: »
    DimakSerpg : If you are using the 3dsmax, why you just dont import valve model first, then put yours and then move it on the old valve model with xform reseted. And then add bones. This doenst work?

yes, I do an import of original model, I do an import of the model, I delete the original, and I attach bones to the subject

simply as though model small

used topogun for retopology
    And also used zbrush

Excuse, i badly know English:(
  • ArchoX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And do you importing smds? And do you exporting it as FBX?

If you dont solve it send me it I will try to make it work.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony wrote: »
    I have been fiddling with an Axe set, which is a mostly a study in understanding some of the processes involved in compiling assets for Dota 2 and to help lay down a basic pipeline for future assets.

awesome set!

i really like how you can see then by thr sillhouette. the shoulder is the best one =]

great job
  • DimakSerpg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ArchoX wrote: »
    And do you importing smds? And do you exporting it as FBX?

If you dont solve it send me it I will try to make it work.
    I don't use smd
    as at once "import failed"

Therefore only .fbx

http://www20.zippyshare.com/v/85634965/file.html
  • ArchoX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DimakSerpg wrote: »
    I don't use smd
    as at once "import failed"

Therefore only .fbx

http://www20.zippyshare.com/v/85634965/file.html

Okay so,
    vr0qS.jpg

The problem is, that with this technique you will need to do the skin thingy every time you change something on the model. Thats why you must create the texture first so you know where are the problems. If you will need help with textures, pm me, we can make some deal with renevue share. The model is not bad, but there are some things you need to repair. I maybe make it too big. And another thing, if the spike things near his hand stay, you need to change bone envelopes too. Its kind of glitch out right now.
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/kacjrm
  • DimakSerpg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ArchoX, and what all of you made?
    After all everything works
  • ArchoX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You started badly. Firstly, I reseted rotation of your model to 0,0,0 and then reseted the xform. THen I exported is as .obj. Then I imported valve old model .obj and after it your new .obj, move it right into the old model and add the bones. After it I exported is as .FBX and then I started a new max to try if everything is allright and then I imported it to the preview window. Its never right in his hand so you need to tweak it out in 3dsmax and always turning off and on dota to test a new version. But this is working pretty well.
  • feracon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    Hey guys

i tried to add feathers to the owl´s wings with a lot of different tecniques but i decided to do that on photoshop later with the help of the ndo2 plugin

the fur was hard too, i was looking for the style of the juggernaut dog´s fur and took a long time to get the result that i wanted

i also tested the retopology on the zbrush, my backpack was made of almost 10 parts and i was going to transform in just 3, the retopology is awesome but painful...

i wasnt sure if it was my lack of experience so i decided to do the retopology again on the cat and it was worse hahaha

my lowpoly is almost there, i need to have 3500 tris to the lod0 and 3000 to lod1, im with 3824 for now, a couple more and im done

anyone knows if the engine supports blend shapes? i want to animate better the face on the portrait and im almost sure that the dota characters uses blend shapes

---
    update
    3488 tris

yay!

Absolutely awesome work man, great design. Way to not go overboard with the normal map sculpt, looks very professional :). I'm fairly sure they support blend shapes, if you load a character up in the SDK model viewer you can see a list of them and move the bars to create facial expressions etc.

However, I havent a clue as to how to get them set up so the engine recognizes them :/. Sorry.
  • zicoV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I've made some changes to my staff. Primarily making it longer so the skull won't look huge when scaled to the size of his old staff.

witchdoctorwip3.jpg

Quick question.
    This might just be me doing it wrong but I can't seem to decompile any lod1 files. There's 2 files that's called lod1 but they are the same as the other files and I'm pretty sure it's all lod0. Is it even possible ?
  • MaVCArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MaVCArt polycounter lvl 8
    did you test on the model viewer? can be from source sdk or alienswarm sdk or sfm sdk

alien swarm is the best for now

the problem can be alot of things, a wrong path on the qc, a wrong compiling for example

how is you qc file? or the compiler from game creates his own and you dont have access to it?

the qc file I edited myself to the appropriate directory, but as there are no other qc files in the dota 2 test folder, I am not sure where to place it.
    I tried placing it in the scripts folder and in the models/heroes/juggernaut folder, but none of both worked

i tried following the general structure of the rest of the items by simply overwriting the three files already present with my compiled ones, but that didn't work

I have narrowed down my problem to the .mdl files though; the default model loads, with my textures applied to it.

my guess is that the .MDL files hold a reference to another file in some directory, which causes the file to stop working properly once you move it; I noticed the directory in the .qc file generated by the engine has a relative file path, so i'm guessing the .MDL files do as well.

I have sent a support request to valve about this since it seems to be a general issue, and I have not been able to find anyone who has actually managed to make it work. (not even on the dota 2 dev forum)
  • Jack Ryan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zicoV wrote: »
    witchdoctorwip3.jpg

Epic! Very nice, is there a low?
  • RaYfIre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Please help me with this
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrDs4s7kgNs"]Skinning Problem - YouTube[/ame]
    Trying to attach the bone to my sword
  • ArchoX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I dont understand Maya UI so please send me it as a .OBJ I will make it.
  • Xpload
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Use the outliner for skin binding. Just navigate to the bone you want (and you cant miss it there, its named sword_1 or something like this). Duplicate, unparent and smooth bind with your mesh.
  • crazyone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyone polycounter lvl 5
    Hey guys

UHJfi.jpg
    0F52X.jpg
    Looking nice so far )

Here's finished shoulder btw )
    Rq9nh.png
  • Xpload
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    btw how are you guys doing the textures, high res then convert or just create them at the desired res?