Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• feracon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Check the bone that the default item ( the one you're replacing) is painted to on the provided source materials. Select this bone then select your item and bind skin, or flood to that bone.
  • feracon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Go skin>bind skin> smooth bind options, change bind to hierarchy to bind to selected. This will flood all verts on your selected geometry to be influenced 100% by the selected bone.
  • Carbonated_Soda
    Thanks guys that's helped a lot so far. still having the weird rotating issue and it seems when I look at it from certain angles you see like half of the model (the inside area). Any ideas?
  • feracon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone,

I'm creating particle systems intended for use with some Dota 2 cosmetics. The issue I'm having is making sure my units in maya match those in the editor.

The info I've gathered says to make the units in Maya centimeters and that should match it with source. However with this setting when I am zoomed out to see a dragon knight sword for example, the grid is so dense it becomes a matte grey background.

Anyone have a suggestion to get the Maya units properly set for dota 2?
  • feracon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Carbonated

I don't see in your screens the areas you're seeing inside the model. Usually this is due to your face normals being inside-out. One one side of a polygon is "viewable/rendered" and receives light. If you go Display>Polygons>Face Normals, you will now see a spike representing the normal and its' set direction for each face of your model. Ideally they should all be facing outwards, you can use the conform and reverse commands on faces to get them all set properly.

Also make sure your item has enough width, if faces are extremely close together you may be getting some strange artifacts looking at it from a steep angle like the one you're showing. Your model does look very thin.

I don't know what you mean by the rotational issue.
  • TommyTehZombie
    It may have been mentioned, but in case it wasn't there was a thread about why models may have been bugging out in the in-game viewer, which was patched yesterday. Thread here http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=50843

After the patch my model is sitting pretty so all thats left to do now is work on masks.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=86677488&searchtext=
  • SinAmos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @danidem

You sound like a parasite. Sorry, but why do people always try to leech off others that do the actual work. Designing 3D pieces in 2D is the easy part. You should invest in some digital tutors in 3D creation, because it takes a lot of work to become proficient in 3D, as in years. This board is really about helping each other, rather than pimping out skills to those that don't want or can't do the work. Take a couple of years to figure out the 3D workflow and then come back to this board or at least come from a more humble angle, where you can say you need help and would like to team-up, rather than you doing anyone any favors. When I used to primarily be a screenwriter, I would get hit up the same exact way. "I don't know how to write movies, but I have all these great ideas." Ideas are only good when you can execute them, which is how I view your offer.
  • Gheromo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gheromo polycounter lvl 11
    Hey guys, my first weapon for steam workshop WIP.
    OLD Version with basic texture-
    zYr73.jpg

New Version textures WIP
    mSQBl.jpg

Any tips or crit?
  • Largs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gheromo wrote: »
    Hey guys, my first weapon for steam workshop WIP.
    OLD Version with basic texture-
    zYr73.jpg

New Version textures WIP
    mSQBl.jpg

Any tips or crit?

I think the new texture is just awesome, nice job
  • feracon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @largs

The models design is simplistic which can be good, no need to over do it. But if you look at some of the top Windrunner bows currently on the store, they are more sophisticated in model design and texture.

I think your model could be sufficient with the proper attention payed to your texture.
  • feracon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @largs

Here's your competition.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=87602068&searchtext=windrunner
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=83196000&searchtext=windrunner

You can see the designs of these bows are more intricate and very "flowy", this matches Windrunners general style. The sharp angles and blade shapes on your bow make a design more reminiscent of a pair of Phantom Assassin double blades or Bounty Hunter main hand.
  • Largs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    feracon wrote: »
    @largs

Here's your competition.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=87602068&searchtext=windrunner
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=83196000&searchtext=windrunner

You can see the designs of these bows are more intricate and very "flowy", this matches Windrunners general style. The sharp angles and blade shapes on your bow make a design more reminiscent of a pair of Phantom Assassin double blades or Bounty Hunter main hand.
    That was not my job, it was a quote =S
  • Gheromo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers Largs.

@feracon, thanks for the links mate, I definately know what you mean when you talk about the design. Original concept I drew was impossible to make due to poly limit, I was assuming limits were poly's not tris...

Anyhow, I'll finish this item for the sake of it now and see how it goes. But I will keep in mind what you said for the future. Thank you
  • feracon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I limit my models to quads not tris, I'm fairly sure they are triangulated when they're compiled to MDLs. I've heard people say the limit is for tris but none of my models would have been accepted if that were the case. I suggest trying to accomplish your original concept, there may be methods and edge flow optimizations that can take you under the limits.
  • Gheromo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have tried importing 350 polygons, which is polycount for windrunner. never succedded.

Original concept by my gf.
    ZdxLf.jpg
    I genuinly didnt have enough polys, tried all sorts of stuff, but after certain point silhouette was so crap it didnt capture the original design at all. I scrapped it, and was just playing with the shapes. Till I ended up with what I have now.

Baked 256w x 128h textures
    dont mind colors, just blocking out masks and stuff
    hh79X.jpg
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    Thanks guys that's helped a lot so far. still having the weird rotating issue and it seems when I look at it from certain angles you see like half of the model (the inside area). Any ideas?
    This means that some of your normals are inverted, this usually happens if you duplicate some part of your model.

It's an easy fix;
    Go to Display>Polygons>Face Normals
    Your model should show some green lines poking out all over the place. You want the green lines to be facing outwards from the model, select all of the faces that are inverted (lines going inside the model) and go Normals>Reverse.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    51.jpg

Getting there. Lots of clipping thanks to my terribly basic rigging, but I think it's looking good! (Only the shoulders there, by the way)
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    SinAmos wrote: »
    @danidem

You sound like a parasite. Sorry, but why do people always try to leech off others that do the actual work. Designing 3D pieces in 2D is the easy part. You should invest in some digital tutors in 3D creation, because it takes a lot of work to become proficient in 3D, as in years. This board is really about helping each other, rather than pimping out skills to those that don't want or can't do the work. Take a couple of years to figure out the 3D workflow and then come back to this board or at least come from a more humble angle, where you can say you need help and would like to team-up, rather than you doing anyone any favors. When I used to primarily be a screenwriter, I would get hit up the same exact way. "I don't know how to write movies, but I have all these great ideas." Ideas are only good when you can execute them, which is how I view your offer.

Sorry SinAmos but i tottaly disagrees with you...

people are used to see drawing as a hobby thing, an easy thing that people can do for free because they like it and is kind of a Gods gift, a talent that someone is born with

im an architect, and to enter the university and follow the classes i took years of drawing class and im still not able to be proud of my drawings

but for 3d i learned reading 3dmax help, it was a LOT easier learning 3d then drawing

we cant say that the 3d knowledge is more important then drawing or vice versa, both are important depending on the situations

my girlfriend works with illustration and a lot of time she got frustrated because people think that drawing is a pleasure and not a job, even her parents sometimes asks when she will get a real job...
  • SinAmos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Tvidotto

Sorry. I have an artists background, so his offer isn't that enticing. Plus, there are enough reference images on the internetz to draw inspiration from. Photoshop has made anyone an artist. I know plenty of working designers that are terrible drawers, but photoshop/illustrator has made it so they can work in many industries. My main point is that 3D is a lot more knowledge intense than pencil or pen art. The reason I can say that is because of my background in both. You can literally take a live-action reference shot and trace it in photoshop and color in layers with very little effort. There are so many tricks to producing artist renderings, that I'm saddened by your stance. Oh, and I'm not saying 3D is more important, but I am saying that the amount time it takes to understand every aspect is beyond belief. There are so many rabbit holes that aren't presented in a piece of paper. You can fall in so many cracks, because the tools are technically challenging. All the software I use doesn't just play nicely with each other. You have to troubleshoot so many failures because of conflicts of software technology. Anyway, I believe he should have offered to team up with someone from a more humble place, rather than some lofty position that doesn't exist. Oh, and any work you do can becomes a job, but that doesn't mean you have to lose the pleasure. I haven't had a real job in a long time and I don't plan too. Creation for life.;)

P.S. Keep up your good work.
  • Qwiggalo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Qwiggalo polycounter lvl 8
    SinAmos wrote: »
    @ Tvidotto

Sorry. I have an artists background, so his offer isn't that enticing. Plus, there are enough reference images on the internetz to draw inspiration from. Photoshop has made anyone an artist. I know plenty of working designers that are terrible drawers, but photoshop/illustrator has made it so they can work in many industries. My main point is that 3D is a lot more knowledge intense than pencil or pen art. The reason I can say that is because of my background in both. You can literally take a live-action reference shot and trace it in photoshop and color in layers with very little effort. There are so many tricks to producing artist renderings, that I'm saddened by your stance. Oh, and I'm not saying 3D is more important, but I am saying that the amount time it takes to understand every aspect is beyond belief. There are so many rabbit holes that aren't presented in a piece of paper. You can fall in so many cracks, because the tools are technically challenging. All the software I use doesn't just play nicely with each other. You have to troubleshoot so many failures because of conflicts of software technology. Anyway, I believe he should have offered to team up with someone from a more humble place, rather than some lofty position that doesn't exist. Oh, and any work you do can becomes a job, but that doesn't mean you have to lose the pleasure. I haven't had a real job in a long time and I don't plan too. Creation for life.;)

P.S. Keep up your good work.
    What studio do you work for? You sound like you know what you're talking about.
  • Gheromo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=89528555

submitted my very first item, textures are still WIP. :)

upd:fixed. workshop was down. changed link to see if its just my item, and seem to copied wrong one, oops :)
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey guys, i was reading the facepunch´s tread about the dota itens and i need to say that i love this forum =]
    i read page of people insulting each other and not a single helpful post...

@Gheromo, i think you put the wrong link =]
  • MaVCArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MaVCArt polycounter lvl 8
    just wanted to post the final submission of my sword :)

it's nothing special, I know, but I'm gonna keep working on stuff and will pump out more exciting items in the future. For now, this is gonna be it.

Also, I got a comment on it that it was "a total ripoff". I can assure you all (and those of you who know me and know of me, know that I mean this sincerely) that it was never my intention to rip anyone/anything off, and if the design is close enough to another item's design to be considered copyright infringement, I will personally remove my item and apologise to the original creator for that unfortunate coincidence.

I have already covered my bases and replied to that comment, saying that it was never my intention to plagiarise anything.

what I would like you guys to do is to tell me if you recognise the design; I asked for proof of the guy's claim, but haven't received any so far. Personally I think it's a troll but being accused of plagiarism feels like being accused of murder to me, so I would like to put my mind at rest.

thanks in advance :)
  • kragniz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kragniz wrote: »
    The motherboard on my desktop blew up, so I'm doodling some concepts.
    yhurS.png

I finally replaced my motherboard, so I got going on this yesterday.

headband.png

The textures are not nearly done yet (still just a plain bake), but I reckon the general shape is finished.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MaVCArt wrote: »
    just wanted to post the final submission of my sword :)

it's nothing special, I know, but I'm gonna keep working on stuff and will pump out more exciting items in the future. For now, this is gonna be it.

Also, I got a comment on it that it was "a total ripoff". I can assure you all (and those of you who know me and know of me, know that I mean this sincerely) that it was never my intention to rip anyone/anything off, and if the design is close enough to another item's design to be considered copyright infringement, I will personally remove my item and apologise to the original creator for that unfortunate coincidence.

I have already covered my bases and replied to that comment, saying that it was never my intention to plagiarise anything.

what I would like you guys to do is to tell me if you recognise the design; I asked for proof of the guy's claim, but haven't received any so far. Personally I think it's a troll but being accused of plagiarism feels like being accused of murder to me, so I would like to put my mind at rest.

thanks in advance :)

nop, dosent recognize it =]
    is this the link right?
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=87732087
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey guys, just to share with you

couple days ago i was with a problem in the green shader that appears around the character when you are going to select it

a guy from Valve told me that was my vmt the problem, he sent me some couple lines more and worked like charm

my old vmt was
    CustomHero
    {
    $baseTexture "models/courier/sillydragon/sillydragon_color"
    $normalmap "models/courier/sillydragon/sillydragon_normal"
    $maskmap1 "models/courier/sillydragon/sillydragon_mask1"
    $maskmap2 "models/courier/sillydragon/sillydragon_mask2"
    }

the new one
    CustomHero
    {
    $baseTexture "models/courier/sillydragon/sillydragon_color"
    $normalmap "models/courier/sillydragon/sillydragon_normal"
    $maskmap1 "models/courier/sillydragon/sillydragon_mask1"
    $maskmap2 "models/courier/sillydragon/sillydragon_mask2"
    //$SPECULARCOLOR "[1.0 0.18 0.51]"

$SPECULAREXPONENT 35
    $SPECULARSCALE 2 
    $SPECULARCOLOR "[1 2 3]"

$RIMLIGHTSCALE	1
    $RIMLIGHTCOLOR "[1 1 1]"

"$cloakPassEnabled" "1"
    "Proxies"
    {
    "invis_proxy"
    {
    }
    "status_proxy"
    {
    }
    }

}

i still dont know what is some lines like the invis_proxy, status_proxy... but if someone is experiencing that here is the solution =]

and btw, here is the new texture of my courier
    637x358.resizedimage

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=84991947&searchtext=

i said to the guys that did the chicken courier that i was going to take a picture with roshan to win their position on the "best rated all time" hahaha

i did a quick video too
    http://youtu.be/rqEJ2jFRT2M?hd=1

cheers!
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    kragniz wrote: »
    I finally replaced my motherboard, so I got going on this yesterday.

That's awesome! I need to come up with a hair for my set too. The only critique I have is make her braid bigger, it's a bit hard to see in game. Her default one is very thick.
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    Two new sets I'm working on. Comments and crits please :3

Invoker_Bindings_V08_Turntable.gif

WR_Hood_V08_Turntable-1.gif

and the bow to go with the Windrunner set:
    WR_Hood_V08_Turntable_bow.jpg
  • MaVCArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MaVCArt polycounter lvl 8
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    nop, dosent recognize it =]
    is this the link right?
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=87732087

yep, that's the one ^^ sorry about that, in my fit of being slightly worried i forgot to post the link :p

well that at least puts my mind at ease a bit, but if any of you still see a striking similarity to another sword (discarding the fact that my sword is so general in design it may be seen as "infringement" on every sword in existence), please let me know! :D
  • Xpload
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are masks and stuff required or can I just leave them at 50% grey? The sword I'm making looks just fine like that.
  • zicoV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a staff that I'm currently working on for Witch doctor.
    I'm also working on a Faceless void armor set but I've never made anything for the workshop so I figured I better start out small.

witchdoctorwip.jpg

Is 420 tri's alot for his staff? And if it doesn't show up in his portrait do I still need to make an lod0 version?

Oh and crit is of course very welcome :)
  • Soldeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soldeus polycounter lvl 10
    LoD0 is not only for the Portrait I think, but also for the Customise Hero preview in the Backpack, and you can see the full body there. As for the staff, I really like the idea, simple and the silhouette reads nicely, 420 tris having a detailed skull like that seems like a very well optimiced mesh in my opinion :)
  • tigg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xpload wrote: »
    Are masks and stuff required or can I just leave them at 50% grey? The sword I'm making looks just fine like that.

A lot of them aren't specifically required, but I wouldn't leave them all at 50% grey. Read up on what each one is, and from there you can decide what it should be. A lot of the time they are going to end up 100% black or white.
  • Qwiggalo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xpload wrote: »

Don't be lazy... if you're items accepted you're getting paid for it, do you seriously think that's acceptable?

The most important masks are the spec and metalness, do some research by looking up existing textures.
  • Xpload
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Submitted my first item - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=89713086
    Made in Blender. I'll add better screens soon.
  • feracon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm working on a set of armor for Morphling and would like to preview all of the items on him at once in engine. As far as I know I cannot use the in game previewer to do this.

Any suggestions?
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @xpload - qwigallo is right, the textures are really important for low poly models, study them and learn what you can get for you item

@zicov - i like it, simple but a very good ideia
    it just appear a litle flat from the front, how it is looking at the side?

@feracon - you can use dota 2 test, compile your item and replace ony of ingame model =]
    ----
    ok guys, noob question =]

im planning on change my workflow, im more tradition to those zbrush stuff, i know that some people use just zbrush to model but i need to select vertices to feel confortable =]

what im planning to do on the next courier is use the retopology tool from zbrush, the question is: there is a way to calculate the triangles in zbrush during the retopology process? can i go back and forth on the retopology till i get the desired polycount?
  • feracon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Tvidotto, i was wondering how people were getting some of those in game screens, that explains it. Sorry i cant help you with your zBrush question, i only use it for high poly normal map mesh sculpting :/.
  • feracon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Tvidotto can you compile your models by using the in game preview tool? I only see it generating QC, DMX, TGA, and TXT files.
  • Qwiggalo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @xpload - qwigallo is right, the textures are really important for low poly models, study them and learn what you can get for you item

@zicov - i like it, simple but a very good ideia
    it just appear a litle flat from the front, how it is looking at the side?

@feracon - you can use dota 2 test, compile your item and replace ony of ingame model =]
    ----
    ok guys, noob question =]

im planning on change my workflow, im more tradition to those zbrush stuff, i know that some people use just zbrush to model but i need to select vertices to feel confortable =]

what im planning to do on the next courier is use the retopology tool from zbrush, the question is: there is a way to calculate the triangles in zbrush during the retopology process? can i go back and forth on the retopology till i get the desired polycount?

You want to be able to see how many tris are currently on your model in ZBrush?

Hover your mouse over the tool in the right side of default UI. It displays polys, which are all quads depending on what shape you start with or unless you retopo it to have tris.
  • feracon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm trying to test my compiled model in the dota 2 test client and having issues, maybe someone can help me.

I am trying to test a dragon knight weapon I've submitted.

I've taken the files from the .zip that the workshop submission created and placed them in the following directories within the common/dota 2 test/ dir.

\common\dota 2 test\dota\models\heroes\dragon_knight\
    weapon.dmx
    weapon.dx90.vtx
    weapon.mdl
    weapon.vvd
    weapon.qc (probably doesnt need to be here)

\common\dota 2 test\dota\materials\models\heroes\dragon_knight\
    weapon.vmt (I've edited the paths within this file to lead to the following, they were leading to the directory in the dota 2 beta client where they were exported to, the name was also that of my custom item, ive changed them to overwrite dragon knights sword.)
    weapon.vtf
    weapon_mask1.vtf
    weapon_mask2.vtf
    weapon_normal.vtf

When I launch dota 2 test and join a game as dragon knight he has his default sword in hand.

If i try to load the MDL file above into the Alien Swarm model viewer (configed for dota 2) I get invalid model error.

Any ideas people? I believe my directory structure for replacing his item is correct, is it not?
  • Zeldrak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zeldrak polycounter lvl 8
    I got one quick ZBrush question. I want to start some ideas that i got, but haven't touched ZBrush much, only enough to know the very basics. Does the high poly model work as a texture map afterwards and then you just retopology it down to tris to keep the shape?

I am confused when looking at the designs posted that use ZBrush because what i described is what i think i'm seeing, so Ijust want to make sure before i jump into it head on and fid out it's not exactly like that.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Tvidotto can you compile your models by using the in game preview tool? I only see it generating QC, DMX, TGA, and TXT files.

never used the in game preview tool

i compile it using a qc file, guistudio mdl 2.2, and the smd exporter for maya that comes with source film maker

in my case i replace the donkey files that are on the models/pros_gameplay

you will also need the gcfscape to unpack the vpk file and rename or delete it after

there is a guide on cyborgmatt´s blog that covers the first part of it =]
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm trying to test my compiled model in the dota 2 test client and having issues, maybe someone can help me.

I am trying to test a dragon knight weapon I've submitted.

I've taken the files from the .zip that the workshop submission created and placed them in the following directories within the common/dota 2 test/ dir.

\common\dota 2 test\dota\models\heroes\dragon_knight\
    weapon.dmx
    weapon.dx90.vtx
    weapon.mdl
    weapon.vvd
    weapon.qc (probably doesnt need to be here)

\common\dota 2 test\dota\materials\models\heroes\dragon_knight\
    weapon.vmt (I've edited the paths within this file to lead to the following, they were leading to the directory in the dota 2 beta client where they were exported to, the name was also that of my custom item, ive changed them to overwrite dragon knights sword.)
    weapon.vtf
    weapon_mask1.vtf
    weapon_mask2.vtf
    weapon_normal.vtf

When I launch dota 2 test and join a game as dragon knight he has his default sword in hand.

If i try to load the MDL file above into the Alien Swarm model viewer (configed for dota 2) I get invalid model error.

Any ideas people? I believe my directory structure for replacing his item is correct, is it not?

you unpacked the vpk right?

you need to cheat the engine so it canf find it

unpack the entire vpk then rename it or delete, the engine will not load the default and will load yours

the alien swarm is a little tricky, you need to set it to dota gameinfo file, and sometimes it didnt work with the compiled models even with that, probably something with the dx80.vtx and dx90.vtx

but even not working on alien swarm sdk it works on dota game =]
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zeldrak wrote: »
    I got one quick ZBrush question. I want to start some ideas that i got, but haven't touched ZBrush much, only enough to know the very basics. Does the high poly model work as a texture map afterwards and then you just retopology it down to tris to keep the shape?

I am confused when looking at the designs posted that use ZBrush because what i described is what i think i'm seeing, so Ijust want to make sure before i jump into it head on and fid out it's not exactly like that.

do you know the more traditional 3d programs like maya or 3dmax?

if yes i suggest doing like me, almost everything on maya and just the high poly on zbrush to get the details on the normalmap
  • Qwiggalo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

You can either go into ZBrush with a model that has an acceptable polycount from Maya or Max and paint detail onto it. Or you can make your model in ZBrush and retopo it for Maya or Max. To get normals and ao, etc: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHAfcIihcDU"]Zbrush 4 - How To Use MULTI MAP EXPORTER - YouTube[/ame]
  • feracon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you unpacked the vpk right?

you need to cheat the engine so it canf find it

unpack the entire vpk then rename it or delete, the engine will not load the default and will load yours

the alien swarm is a little tricky, you need to set it to dota gameinfo file, and sometimes it didnt work with the compiled models even with that, probably something with the dx80.vtx and dx90.vtx

but even not working on alien swarm sdk it works on dota game =]

Hmm well I unpacked the VPK a long time ago and put all the source in a non steam directory just for me to view as reference time to time. What I was doing was copying the directory structure I was seeing in the unpacked VPK only having the weapon.files for dragon knight in the directories (which are empty).

Should I copy all of the unpacked source files into their proper places in the dota 2 test directory? If I do this wont the client still just load the data from the VPK files as it appears to be doing now? This said, should I move all the VPK files to a backup dir so the client cannot find them and is forced to use the source files ive copied?

Thanks so much for your help on this Tvidotto :).
  • feracon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Zbrush is a great sculpting tool to play with details and overall form.

What I do is use Maya to make a low poly mesh roughly the shape I want, whats most important here is that your topology be even and as consistent as possible to make a smooth clay-like mesh as it is subdivided in Zbrush.

Load this low poly into Zbrush and subdivide a few times and start painting, subdivide as you notice you need to for the detail you're after.

At any time during this process you can toggle your models subdivision level, meaning you can finish your high poly model then toggle back down to the very base mesh; you will then see that Zbrush has actually moved all of the verts of your low poly to best accommodate your high poly mesh.

I export this low poly mesh as my new low poly, it is a much better match to your high poly than the one you started with out of Maya.

Hope this made sense to you :).
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    2.jpg

I think this will be what I use in the workshop :)

I really should make something to replace her hair so it's not a 2-part set, but I've been working on this for too long as it is.

EDIT:
    Posted it! Go give it an upvote and/or favourite for me!
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=89773553

Also, taking suggestions for a headpiece :)
  • SinAmos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zicoV

Great start on the simple staff.

Qwiggalo

Anonymity is the best policy.

Tvidotto

Zbrush workflow. That is a big undertaking, but there are point select features, as you are able to make a small brush size and turn on point select, as well as a MOVE brush. Under the TRANSFORM panel there are a number of settings that are very helpful, which can be used in symmetrical fashions. Retop is not the best workflow under Zbrush. A lot of people try to pretend they can use Zspheres to make a simple mesh and then divide to the extreme. Then they create this exotic HIrez version on top of that, but then they have to go back to RETOP, which is time extensive and a pain. You are better off creating base meshes in MAYA/Max and then GOZ them back into Zbrush to add details and levels. The GOZ plugin is very helpful in getting your LVL 1 mesh back and forth between the two programs. Diffuse, deformation, and normal maps will go with the mesh when you GOZ. I have a mel script that examines all files in a scene and will transfer them from the default Zbrush folder to main ROOT folder for the given project.

P.S. Your courier really motivates me to finish my current workload, so I can join the fun.;)

@ALL

If anyone needs any Zbrush/Maya/Photoshop questions answered, feel free to ask. Those are my 3 primary apps of choice.