Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    kite212 wrote: »

This is looking good for a first attempt at Dota. Keep in mind that the masks will alter the model significantly. Is that a Max grid i see? If so I advise using this to test your materials in Max
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=110022&page=8

Is you issue with the 3-point method or the baked map method? Or have you tried both :poly142:

Thanks. Yeah I'm hoping it can squeak in past the silhoette hawks :)
    Mainly because if I get a new cape done it won't have the tall collar, and these horns would somewhat mimick that. The front of his face is the biggest issue...
    Honestly I was making an oriental map for TF2 years ago and had started a dragon statue. The head was modeled, I have been thinking of Dota lately and when I saw the Chinese update I decided to pull it out of the closet. Still had to wrap it up, edit a bit, and uv... Then the high.

I will try that shader, thanks.

----
    Well, I tired the two links you posted before.
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=183672148
    That is what I ended up following 3 times. I kept getting shadows baked on from the low clipping. I just couldn't get them to go away so I ended up just doing a back on the high (was already UV'ed as I used the low and modelled details on.

I have some good bakes. I think mainly it's the photoshop work that's getting me. I've always overlayed color on the ao.
    Seems like 4 dota everyone is putting the shadows on top of the color and the lighten make just bleeds out the color for me. If I reduce it's transparency to get better color (not the best) then the shadows vanish.

New technique for me and it just doesn't seem to be working. I have double/triple /quad checked and I have all the settings the tut uses. I also tried the official pdf tut first, but same results.

(But I may be baking wrong too. That Steam tut, the render looks almost like metal ( http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/597016578233029039/14B22ED38FA3ABFF8E80EB23924B0162F6110631/ ). Mine basically looks like an AO (different shadows), white and grey kindof fuzzy).
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    Textures all cleaned up and ready

Yes! Loved how this came out!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Current progress of our Gyro weapon. Got set back by a certain program going all sorts of cra cra and crashed constantly for almost 3 hrs:poly127: got it mostly running.... mostly

WingWip2.jpg
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog wrote: »
    I have some good bakes. I think mainly it's the photoshop work that's getting me. I've always overlayed color on the ao.
    Seems like 4 dota everyone is putting the shadows on top of the color and the lighten make just bleeds out the color for me. If I reduce it's transparency to get better color (not the best) then the shadows vanish.

New technique for me and it just doesn't seem to be working. I have double/triple /quad checked and I have all the settings the tut uses.

If you are new to this style I would recommend starting with your AO set to multiply, and then basically have 2 layers below that. The bottom would be your color flats, and the one above that would simply be a paint layer. Once this looks good you can either revisit the baked lighting, or just fake it and paint it in in another layer below, or just use that :)

Edit: Personally I LOVE these brushes for painting textures http://www.shaddyconceptart.com/download and I end up using Tyrion the most, nice blending and gives a subtle painterly feel
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK, guess I can just default to what I know :D

Oh yeah, my point above about this being a recycled model was that I had to scour the Hero's to find one that had a high enough poly count to crunch this thing into. And the most fitting I found was Rubick. With his robe style and magic powers it seemed pretty fitting even if it's not the best silohette match.

Funny enough, he's got one of the highest helmet tri counts, but no helmet stock???
  • Hawt Koffee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt Koffee polycounter lvl 13
    heboltz3 wrote: »
    Those hookswords Koffee, man oh man. Really beautiful stuff. My reaction is "Why didnt this get thought of sooner." Nice execution overall! The diffuse on the flag seems a little flat, but that's really all I got.

I think the flatness might be the camera angle not properly catching the light
    I compiled with dummy lods just to see the high polys so I couldn't get a proper topdown shot
    If it's still flat in top down I'll tweak the shadow masks on the diffuse or make the sculpt more intense

thanks for the note
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vlad_the_implyer polycounter lvl 5
    tumblr_mz2ee240991r43xj0o3_1280.png

Gordon_crowbar_enemies.jpg
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    That's exactly what I thought Vlad. I'm still not sure if I like it, but it's definitely unique.
  • Noth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noth polycounter lvl 15
    any word on workshop updating? I've been waiting 2 days to see my submission show up, am I missing something?
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    Guys they're hook swords, pretty common Chinese weapons. Though Hawf, I think you should have kept the crescent guards since I feel those are a defining feature of hook swords.
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto wrote: »
    Guys they're hook swords, pretty common Chinese weapons. Though Hawf, I think you should have kept the crescent guards since I feel those are a defining feature of hook swords.
    I know, was just pointing out that texturework is pushin it towards the crowbar, and the handle is weirding me out, that's why it looks more like a crowbar that a hooksword.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Egads!

I loaded up my model, it says import successful but at the top it says 'one or more verts with no skin weight'., The model is fully rigged to head bone.

Unfortunately is also seems Rubick's head IS the head slot. Though the FBX it is part of the body. Modelled around it and have NO room to redo it/fix it so DOH!

Still want to get it in game though for a test.

Any ideas? I tried FBX export, mesh only and mesh with head bone. FBX 2009 and 2014.
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unfortunately is also seems Rubick's head IS the head slot.
    What did you expect? valve is just too slow to update his reference files.
    Egads!

I loaded up my model, it says import successful but at the top it says 'one or more verts with no skin weight'., The model is fully rigged to head bone.

Still want to get it in game though for a test.

Any ideas? I tried FBX export, mesh only and mesh with head bone. FBX 2009 and 2014.
    What are you using? If it's fully rigged to one bone, did you rig it in some kind of automatic way? Can you select every vertex and manually set weight to 1?
    Also, you can try SMD.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, when I first imported him I couldn't find a 'head' model so I thought he just didn't have a stock helmet. I really didn't expect anything, I just thought his head would be there in game like the FBX import.

----
    Using Max 2014, just tried SMD too. (Wallworm export -works great for TF2). It said imported, no errors so..

I'm supposing I have the scale wrong as I don't see it anywhere. I imported the FBX as centimeters like someone else said earlier.

I skinned it to head_1 bone. And yep, manually skinned by verts (well, only one bone -was automatic, but I always double check and do it anyway).
    I just tried adding all the bones to the skin and only weighting the one. Then exported everything. Still can't be seen.

=====EDIT==========

Not sure it's size now, maybe z/y up? Though if that's it I think I'd see it on the ground in front of him.

If I import the smd (with wallworm) I get erros, the bones are jumbled at his feet but he is in y up settings and his mesh looks about the same as FBX imported at centimeters.

However FBX doesn't let me import Y up.
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    deleted due to redundancy...because i was a page behind. :)

thanks a lot vlad.
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, when I first imported him I couldn't find a 'head' model so I thought he just didn't have a stock helmet. I really didn't expect anything, I just thought his head would be there in game like the FBX import.
    Issue could be with your importer, you should really use this one http://www.chaosincarnate.net/cannonfodder/3dsmax.php
    reverendK wrote: »
    deleted due to redundancy...because i was a page behind. :)

thanks a lot vlad.
    FOILED YET AGAIN!
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahahahaha, I feel stoopid but it is 2 am and I've been working on this all day...

I had a black alpha channel on my color map., I also rotated the pivot y up.

Now I can see it out in front of his feet on the ground.. Derp.

Thanks for the help though guys. I'll also look at the importer, didn't think cannon had one for 2014 (how I ended up with wallworm)
  • sellwynloh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and have been working on an alchemist set. Started not too long ago,its currently half way through already but I would really appreciate some feedback from you guys.:)

My concept in a nut shell.
    As we all know that the young alchemist Razzil is sort of a genius. Turns out that aside of chemistry, he too excels at the sciences of black smiting and weapon making but was never able to do so because he lacks the physical ability to execute his brilliant designs. Upon saving the imprisoned ogre, the plan was finally made possible. With the brains of young Razzil and brawn's of the mighty ogre, they started out with their very first project...

Work in progress
    Here's my situation, I din't really worked with any concept arts other than some random doodles on my sketchbook that only I can understand. So in some ways, I kind of jumped in to modeling and experimenting right away. I am currently at the modeling stage and will be moving into UV unwrapping and sculpting upon finishing the base models. I have yet to figure out the potion bottles and the alchemist body part. So its probably gonna take a long way more. On the bright side, here's what I have thus far,

Various angles
    3okc.jpg
    8gv0.jpg

Silhouette for readability
    6k9o.jpg

Renders for fun
    iy8t.jpg

Some difficulties
    gxj8.jpg
    This is pretty much the area that I would love some feedback. Basically, I am very unsure with the design of the bracers and the mask. I have tried a number of designs but din't end up with something that I fancy. Design 1 is actually supposed to be like a bracer with a container containing some magical chemical steroid thing that is constantly pumped into the ogre for some extra energy. As for the mask, its supposed to be a pimped up welding mask thing. My main concerns are whether if the message comes across and if it fits the overall look. Let me know what you guys think.

Let me know what you guys think and feel free to point out what I am doing wrong or any areas that I can improve on. Thanks a million in advance :)
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm, got it pretty close but still issues

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/705111753807529163/623F5BF2CD4B507FF94246D060372A43BF74AB8A/

Rubick
    Max 2014:
    Import: FBX

Rig: Skin all bones. 100% Head_1.

Models pivot is at 0,0,0, xforms reset.

Export: Wallworm SMD.

The model seems to move inverted to the anims. If head goes right and forward then item goes back and left.

I suppose it's the zup/ yup thing again. God this has been a thorn in my side for years.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @badcog, I've never seen that happen before. I'd try resetting xforms, then mirroring the item and exporting without resetting xform.

Here's a WIP of the Gyro set. Still need to do the wing and missile model. Haven't done any masks yet either.

gyroworks_wip_01.jpg
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    @badcog, I've never seen that happen before. I'd try resetting xforms, then mirroring the item and exporting without resetting xform.

Here's a WIP of the Gyro set. Still need to do the wing and missile model. Haven't done any masks yet either.
    Exposed back is kind of off putting.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Exposed back is kind of off putting.

I agree but 98% of the time in game the rockets are flipped back covering most of it. The poly limit is already pretty stretched so the best I could do is throw a flat piece of wood over it.
  • Konras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    First page rocks with this red crab loading screen on it :D
    http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/browse/?appid=570
  • Vayne4800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 polycounter lvl 3
    Konras wrote: »
    First page rocks with this red crab loading screen on it :D
    http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/browse/?appid=570

Yeah! You are mad not upvoting that! I sure did!
  • Prosomogy
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tumblr_mz2ee240991r43xj0o3_1280.png

Hell yeah! Kabal is my favorite MK toon so i approve of this weapon. :thumbup:

todofondosdejuegos-com_mortal%20kombat:%20deception-12.jpg
  • darkkyo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    darkkyo polycounter lvl 6
    Anybody know if last night's patch fixed the workshop issue? I have a spring item ready to upload but I'm not sure if I should do it yet.
  • Vayne4800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 polycounter lvl 3
    Nope, issue still persists.
  • PrototypeT800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So does anyone know why only a few items have the spring2014 tag? Has valve already picked who "won" so to speak?
  • Prosomogy
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator wrote: »

EDIT:

ah, fresh start?

I tried what I learned to do with TF2. Guess same formats it shouldn't surprise me.

after a fresh look I realized his head wasn't moving opposite the head, it was following his staff (which was one of the bones in rig.

So I skinned only the bones from root to head and exported that. BAM! Now we're cooking :D
    So successful max 2014 rig wallworm smd export guide:

Only include the chain of bones required for the model to attach to the root bone. In this case:
    Head 1, head 0, spine 3, spine 0 and root.
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Same thing, I think it has to do with bones being jacked from import/z-up. What else could it be?

I import. Hide the mesh. My mesh has xforms reset and pivot reset to 0,0,0. I've even created a cube, made it edit poly, attached my head and deleted the cube (reset transforms old school). I've tried rotating my pivot to match the pivot of the body mesh (that puts the head sideways on the ground in front of him).

I've attached to ONLY head bone, export with and without. The only way I get it to show in game is to add all bones to the skin and use the wallworm smd export.
    Max 2014 (2009 and 2014 FBX) export fails with 'no skin weights'.

To test I even made a cube, place above his hand and imported that as his staff. Same results.

That sounds pretty messed up, maybe has to do with a newer version of FBX that 2014 ships with? Anytime I have tried FBX I get nothing but problems,so I strictly work with smd when export, or importing ref models. Too bad cannonfodders smd plugin is not 2014 compatible.

On another note is this model from the requirements page? As Vlad indicated Valve does not keep these updated as they should. In this case it is necessary to decompile an updated model your self.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey kite I ninja'ed you :D

yeah I dl'ed models from the dota page. I hate decompiling :D Everytime is a fresh start and I can never find the correct path to place the decompiler, etc.. and it takes forever to get the right folder. TF2 has like 7 folders that closely match the decompiler instructions but NONE that exactly match it.

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
    OK, since this object won't work with Rubick due to lack of head I decide to try with another hero. very few have the head tri count but Phantom assasin does.

So import, rig just like rubick (root>spine>head).

Now the helmet is in her torso.

Only rig to head bone, it's on the floor (not moving so it's not following any chain).

-
    I just can't win.
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey kite I ninja'ed you :D

yeah I dl'ed models from the dota page. I hate decompiling :D Everytime is a fresh start and I can never find the correct path to place the decompiler, etc.. and it takes forever to get the right folder. TF2 has like 7 folders that closely match the decompiler instructions but NONE that exactly match it.

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
    OK, since this object won't work with Rubick due to lack of head I decide to try with another hero. very few have the head tri count but Phantom assasin does.

So import, rig just like rubick (root>spine>head).

Now the helmet is in her torso.

Only rig to head bone, it's on the floor (not moving so it's not following any chain).

-
    I just can't win.

What about Juggernaut? this head might fit his helmet. So idk if I do it wrong, or if it is a smd thing, but when I export I export the entire rig with the item. Always seems to work for me. Also PA was recently-ish updated but idk if her files were updated, could be another case of outdated workshop files
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite.thans again btw.

are you skinning all bones to a helmet, or just the head and exporting all?
    But I was getting same results that way too, helmet in her torso.

So I think the bones to the root is enough but...

her head was rigged to head/neck/spine. tried that, no luck. Her helmet was head and ponytails. no luck.

DL'ing mod tool now, guess it's time to learn something new.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    I have no issue skinning to only few bones and export with just those few bones selected. Before i've place the pivot to 0 (not sure it's required) and rest xform.
    I ended up importing the smd from the source files, and export as smd too (with wunderboy plug-in), because i had scaling issue with fbx.

I just hope the source files are up to date.
    Now i've also unpacked smd from the game files to see the lod1. Now you sure to have the most rencent rig.
    http://wyksblog.com/getting-started-dota-2-cosmetics/
    I've followed this tutorial to refresh my memory but the process is less hacky than with TF2.
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite.thans again btw.

are you skinning all bones to a helmet, or just the head and exporting all?
    But I was getting same results that way too, helmet in her torso.

So I think the bones to the root is enough but...

her head was rigged to head/neck/spine. tried that, no luck. Her helmet was head and ponytails. no luck.

DL'ing mod tool now, guess it's time to learn something new.

So I will use my gyro hat for example. The hat itself is skinned to the head bone 100%, then there are a few other parts skinned to other bones as needed. Then when I export I export either the entire scene, or select all the bones and the model and do an exported selected if I have both LOD's in the scene. It may not be necessary to do, but it also does not seem to have a negative impact from what I can tell. If I am wrong though hopefully a pro will chime in and correct me :poly142:

@Noors I have exported with pivots not in 0,0,0 with out issue, and I always reset xform before skinning
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    another double post :(
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's gotta be the import. Unfortunately with Max2014 the only import that works is the FBX. And it comes in Z up.
    SMD comes in Y up, but the bones are jacked, all squoosed up by his feet.

The smd export CAN work fine, I got the helmet in on one rig but then on another rig I am back to trouble shooting.
    So I decide I'll dl XSI and try it. 7.5 and 6.0, neither work because of Visual basic issues (my version is too new, too old, can't tell.Can't find correct info on web).

OK shot down again.

So I dl maya trial, I'll try that for import export.

Not enough space on C disc (I have a new hdd but I don't want to reinstall windows now. Can't add space to c partition either.
    And Maya refuses to let me instal to another disc (WTF?)

I guess Blender is a choice, but I have tried it before and it's so freakin' alien to me just selecting my mesh is hard . QQ

You'd think that since 3ds and maya are under the same roof now they'd at LEAST let you choose Y up import. Just silly.

==========
    back to max...

again placed the helmet on the phantom assasin rig. skinned head bone only.
    exported all bones and helmet.

It's in place in the preview window. check daylight/nighttime, it's back in torso.

recompile, back on head in preview. daylight, moves to torso. :(

I had this same issue with Torchlight (another Y-up game (ogre engine).

I could get a helmet on a character, but the world view was always sideways. If I corrected it so the world model was right, the character attach was wrong.
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So one more item popped in under the Spring2014 tag,up to 18 now, but still no new models under "most recent"
  • Konras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Huston the workshop is online!! At least it seams so.. Nah its still not good, at least cant see some new items that were posted in recent days....
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Baddcog, dont trust the day/night/ingame view, i think it updates terribly. It doesn't even reload the textures correctly, i have to relaunch dota. Maybe there's a console command to force it, idno. But the preview always works right after the import, so if it's good there, model is fine. Just relaunch to check on other modes.
  • Konras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors wrote: »
    Baddcog, dont trust the day/night/ingame view, i think it updates terribly. It doesn't even reload the textures correctly, i have to relaunch dota. Maybe there's a console command to force it, idno. But the preview always works right after the import, so if it's good there, model is fine. Just relaunch to check on other modes.
    Other way is to load the model with different name every time, or delete things under dota/models/items/hero_name and dota/materials/models/items/hero_name
  • Gaiascope
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gaiascope polycounter lvl 4
    The workshop finally shows new items under "most recent". Though the latest item is from yesterday, so I don't know if it's a manual fix, or if the workshop is operational again. At least Valve is actively working on fixing it, that's good to know.

Now we can break the workshop again by flooding it with items we've been holding back for until they fixed it :P
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 17
    "Most popular today" is still broken..
  • Noth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noth polycounter lvl 15
    Hey guys. Workshop seems to be up again, pity the 3 day delay will probably effect rating :/ oh wellz. Support appreciated! Heres some images. Gl!

b0ecIX9.jpg

aD4UGoY.jpg

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=213076051
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, you're right Noors, that seems to be the case. I had shut Dota down, cme back with a new model named the same and it worked in all views.

This time rigged only to head, all bones exported.
    Sure makes trouble shooting tough when and error pops up like that and you keep trying to fix it, but it's not even a problem anymore. Chasing my tail in circles.

I was trying new names sometimes, but I have exported soooo many times...
    unfortunately I don't think this model is going to work with any of the characters that support the detail. It's at 598 tris and max on any is 600 (and I broke it down further than I wanted). The back is really ugly but Rubicks head hid that.

I don't know, opinions? Is it worth fixing for the assassin? Obviously the palette is wrong.. it completely hides face and changes the silohette a bit...
    dragon%20assasin.jpg

I could probably open the mouth up so face shows, get rid of horns and add ponytail to match the regular helm better.?.
  • cagdasx44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    İs it for real???
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mine? yes it's for real 80

Silhouette comparison

dragon_sil.jpg

I think I could squeeze it.