Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• MurathIII
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MurathIII polycounter lvl 5
    Hi guys, I'm working on my first set, and it's for Witch doctor.. I welcome your advice =)
    1380786_10202119180770155_1738307946_n.jpg
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Hopefully finishing this up tomorrow.

CrjeZJI.png
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    Still so much new awesome all the time. Soldeus I am loving where that staff is going. Some progress! Sadly done for the night, early morning SCCM training tomorrow :poly122:

WipInGame2.jpg
  • HntrLuc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HntrLuc polycounter lvl 18
    bounchfx - that BH set is looking awesome!
    soldeus - looking good!
    tvidotto - nice work! will you do custom animations for the scythe?
    mrpresident - well done! came out great

I just finished up an OD set :)
    Astral Armament Set
    od_promo_large.jpg
    od_presentation.jpg
    tumblr_muoterPI8W1r81hs5o2_250.giftumblr_muoterPI8W1r81hs5o1_250.gif
  • foxclover
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Technoviking> I think if you darkened the manta blades themselves, the red glowies will pop more. The contrast would make it look a lot nicer, imo. :)

Soldeus> I LOVE YOU <3

HntrLuc > The staff is amazing. Love the set. Good job!
  • Technoviking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    foxclover wrote: »
    Technoviking> I think if you darkened the manta blades themselves, the red glowies will pop more. The contrast would make it look a lot nicer, imo. :)

Soldeus> I LOVE YOU <3

HntrLuc > The staff is amazing. Love the set. Good job!

Hi there :)) I tried making it darker but it was getting lost among CKs grays... I tried a "black" version too and it looked good, but the hilt was already black and it would seem all the same... I kept this color to resemble at least a little bit the original manta and for it to stand out more :))
  • Godzy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Godzy polycounter lvl 6
    MurathIII wrote: »
    Hi guys, I'm working on my first set, and it's for Witch doctor.. I welcome your advice =)
    1380786_10202119180770155_1738307946_n.jpg

woah finally some fresh ideas for WD! I love it!

finally managed to finish the work on a bs weapon that was started centuries ago >.>

ZvRqaUe.jpg
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    HntrLuc wrote: »
    bounchfx - that BH set is looking awesome!
    soldeus - looking good!
    tvidotto - nice work! will you do custom animations for the scythe?
    mrpresident - well done! came out great

I just finished up an OD set :)
    Astral Armament Set

tumblr_muoterPI8W1r81hs5o2_250.giftumblr_muoterPI8W1r81hs5o1_250.gif

great set as usual Hunter

dont bother you how stiff are the OD wings? i never play the character because of that, same with skywrath but on the opposite side =]

about the questions on the animations, that is what im planning, new animations for a 2 handed weapon, ad after people can work on their own sets based on my animations (if it get accepted in game, of course =] )
  • MurathIII
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Working progress for my Touareg WD set... I'm glad you like it @Godzy

1381706_10202121921518672_107859499_n.jpg
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

This set just keeps getting better. Keep it up :thumbup:
  • Vextrakt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vextrakt polycounter lvl 6

1381706_10202121921518672_107859499_n.jpg

The set is well made and I love the relic on his side, but I don't feel like the staff design really sells the set. I imagine the staff is supposed to be the focal point along with the turban, and right now its a pretty boring shape and has a lot of repetitive small detail, but no interesting large detail. Also, maybe re-using the eye design on the relic as a brooch on the turban would be cool :)
  • foxclover
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been struggling the past few days to get my items to import correctly - in blender, the shoulders (and sleeves, not shown for clarity) fit like a glove. When it gets imported in game, there's a gap between the item and the model, and it floats above her shoulders.

sGhSI02.png

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? The item is bound to the clavicle (front), shoulder (top), and spine (back). This is my first 3d model, and I'm not sure if the problem is with my model, the rigging, or the import/export process. @.@ Any help would be appreciated!
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been struggling the past few days to get my items to import correctly - in blender, the shoulders (and sleeves, not shown for clarity) fit like a glove. When it gets imported in game, there's a gap between the item and the model, and it floats above her shoulders.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? The item is bound to the clavicle (front), shoulder (top), and spine (back). This is my first 3d model, and I'm not sure if the problem is with my model, the rigging, or the import/export process. @.@ Any help would be appreciated!

What ref model are you using? it may be out of date, decompile a more up to date mdl, and rig it again and see if that fixes the issue.
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    Fox: the model files might be bigger than the model in-game. Did you manually decompile them? I remember on an earlier post that a guy made riki items that were off from his mesh because he used outdated files that valve provided.

Anybody know if the importer is still messed up? I have a death animation on my juggernaut ward that has some offset issues. Should I just submit the item regardless of the death animation offset?
  • foxclover
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The reference model I'm using is the one off of the workshop requirements page - thanks for the advice, I'll try decompiling a new model when I get the chance tonight. Hope that fixes the issues!
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fox: the model files might be bigger than the model in-game. Did you manually decompile them? I remember on an earlier post that a guy made riki items that were off from his mesh because he used outdated files that valve provided.

Anybody know if the importer is still messed up? I have a death animation on my juggernaut ward that has some offset issues. Should I just submit the item regardless of the death animation offset?

Have you checked in Dota2 test? Some other offset issues seem to no happen in Dota2 test
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The reference model I'm using is the one off of the workshop requirements page - thanks for the advice, I'll try decompiling a new model when I get the chance tonight. Hope that fixes the issues!

Those are hella out dated, I would suggest to never use them and just decompile what ever you need.
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 wrote: »
    Have you checked in Dota2 test? Some other offset issues seem to no happen in Dota2 test

I used dota2 test and the dota 2 client, both have the offset issue for me. I tried re-exporting, all animations work fine except for the death animation. I also made another animation to see if the animation was at fault, and the other animation i made also was offsetted. The animation is fine in blender but not in dota :(
  • mrpresident
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrpresident polycounter lvl 10

I can confirm that crystal maiden's workshop files are actually the wrong size compared to the in-game model, shrink the entire model to around 85% of what it is now and that should do it. Anuxi had a fixed version uploaded somewhere but I can't find it.
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, i think i figured out the problem. It was probably how I rigged my ward. So I just made the death a little more basic.

Idle:
    9W7kN14.gif

Spawn:
    npCGJmz.gif

Death:
    0P2orKF.gif

Anything I should edit before I submit?
  • Gamer_Alien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anything I should edit before I submit?

I don't know if this is a wip or not, but I'l mention it for the heck of it.

1- Where is the ward eye ? the yellow eye is the most important thing.
    2- is it gonna be all white like that ? or were they wip textures ? white textures are not allowed as far as i know ...

anyways correct me if I'm wrong.
  • MurathIII
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vextrakt wrote: »
    The set is well made and I love the relic on his side, but I don't feel like the staff design really sells the set. I imagine the staff is supposed to be the focal point along with the turban, and right now its a pretty boring shape and has a lot of repetitive small detail, but no interesting large detail. Also, maybe re-using the eye design on the relic as a brooch on the turban would be cool :)

I think you're right @Vextrakt and I'm managing to change the whole staff, cause I dont like it too :D, about the turban and the rest of clothes, I think I will add some jewelry as worn by Touareg nomads =)

@kite212 thx man I will do my best =)
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    dota_item_arms_of_burning_turmoil_large.png

Am I the only the who thinks its wrong to give old work to an esport organization to brute force it into the game? :smokin:

What do you guys think? First the Penquin, now this.
  • Insaneophobia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Insaneophobia polycounter lvl 5
    Well shit, maybe ESP asked them to use it as a extra thing for a ticket, and then thought that would be nice, and waited until the tourney was near :P
  • mihalceanu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mihalceanu polycounter lvl 6
    Dont know if I'm the only one to think that this set is not ugly design wise , but the execution is downright horrid ;the chain from the horse has more resolution then the head , the textures are incredible low rez and muddy for a 512x256 . Hope I'm not beeing mean , but I said the first time I saw it that its impossible that it will get in :).

example of way better texture quality:
    30B66AF24C94FE197B2A6EFFA27BB14FA343CD31

AndrewHelenek : I dont really mind it , but I feel that valve lowers the quality that is needed becouse they know that it will be bought by fans of the particular esport .
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mihalceanu wrote: »
    AndrewHelenek : I dont really mind it , but I feel that valve lowers the quality that is needed becouse they know that it will be bought by fans of the particular esport .

See, where I have the problem is the products relation to the organization. Stuff like ESWC and Star Ladders Hud, The original Defence courier with the logo on the rear of the sheep, Nexons' Baekoo Courier, because of how influential White Tigers are in Korean culture, The Ukrainian colors in the Flying Weaselcrow. Things like this I love to get behind because I know that the product is 100% related to the organization and I can show off in game that I support it just like going out and buying a jersey for a sports team I support.

I mean, how does a CK Hud relate to the preimere league? I really like the hud, but I don't really care to watch the preimere league. So if I purchase it, did I buy it to support the preimere league, or to get a cool hud? A more extreme hypotical example, the Yankees Baseball team starts selling action figures that have absolutly nothing to do with baseball. Cause that totally makes sense.

Just my 2¢ :)

I'm also going to shut up now, hahaha!
  • Brainsample
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some really nice stuff here. This is my first Dota item, figured I'd start small and do a ward. I was having some problems with gifcam so here is a link to the animations http://youtu.be/a-JWZErz6BA

ward_skeleton_wip5a.jpg

ward_skeleton_wip5b.jpg
  • Rubus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rubus polycounter lvl 5
    I think sponsored stuff would be ok if it followed the same selection standards from the rest of the submissions.

Wanna promote an item? No problem. Wanna advertize the shit out of it using a known media channel/team/event? No problem at all.

But to give free pass to a set with such a bad retopo and texture quality just because it is linked to an event doesn't feel right, absolutely.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    See, where I have the problem is the products relation to the organization. Stuff like ESWC and Star Ladders Hud, The original Defence courier with the logo on the rear of the sheep, Nexons' Baekoo Courier, because of how influential White Tigers are in Korean culture, The Ukrainian colors in the Flying Weaselcrow. Things like this I love to get behind because I know that the product is 100% related to the organization and I can show off in game that I support it just like going out and buying a jersey for a sports team I support.

I mean, how does a CK Hud relate to the preimere league? I really like the hud, but I don't really care to watch the preimere league. So if I purchase it, did I buy it to support the preimere league, or to get a cool hud? A more extreme hypotical example, the Yankees Baseball team starts selling action figures that have absolutly nothing to do with baseball. Cause that totally makes sense.

Just my 2¢ :)

I'm also going to shut up now, hahaha!

well, i think we are entering a new era of cosmetics, time to stop working with third parties when there is still time =]
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    well, i think we are entering a new era of cosmetics, time to stop working with third parties were there is still time =]

How so? Considering the ever growing number of third parties influencing dota, if anything that side of market will only continue to grow.
  • R4z
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R4z
    Thank you for feedback!
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How so? Considering the ever growing number of third parties influencing dota, if anything that side of market will only continue to grow.

We should trust Valve in keeping the quality high!
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth

well there is no way we can influence that anyways so whatever... valve does what it does
  • Plant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

When the goal is to make the game and tournaments completely community driven - there will be sacrifices, in which organizations and tournaments are looking towards maximum profit, but they do provide esports content.

Why get a good team of artists to make a insane courier (expensive option, they're professionals that know what they're worth), when you can look at the workshop, find a old one that never got in - and in reality no hopes of getting - and tell the artist u get 10% of sales when its been so long he probably forgot about it (I feel this is what happened with the Penguin.)

It's almost as if the workshop is going corporate - work with organizations to increase your chance of success, in what is a volatile market.
  • Gamer_Alien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy wrote: »
    well there is no way we can influence that anyways so whatever... valve does what it does

Even so, That set is just downright bad, even by my standards, which are low.
  • kendmd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kendmd polycounter lvl 5
    @Andrew
    I totally agree with you. I won't mind as much if the quality of the item they're bundling with the tickets are top-notch, but the last few items bundled were just plain atrocious.

@Tvidotto
    You know, I really want to trust Valve, but letting the penguin and this set get in (and some other sets that are very questionable) kind of make me doubt them.
  • Snowstorm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowstorm polycounter lvl 5

Yup, it's because the workshope page CM model is outdated. The cm model in-game is a little slimmer. I don't believe it's a uniform scaling from the neck up, but in your case your item probably won't be affected by that.
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progress!
    WipInGame5.jpg

WipInGame6.jpg

Edit: Updated images
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vlad_the_implyer polycounter lvl 5
    Rubus wrote: »
    I think sponsored stuff would be ok if it followed the same selection standards from the rest of the submissions.

Wanna promote an item? No problem. Wanna advertize the shit out of it using a known media channel/team/event? No problem at all.

But to give free pass to a set with such a bad retopo and texture quality just because it is linked to an event doesn't feel right, absolutely.
    Topology and usage of texturespace is not the first concern.
    Why it allows everyone to participate, you feel extra bummed out to spend some time to try and make everything look not-pixely. But in the end they're right, the player pays for what he sees, topology does not concern him at all, not to say that a lot of people play on very low settings and everything is pixelated and smudged anyway.

So if the set doesn't look too bad, has tons of positive ratings (though i think people voted for "badass" video first, which raises another question about usage of promo materials), it's pretty much okay to go with the league/tournament.
  • Rubus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rubus polycounter lvl 5
    That was more of a grudgy mumbling than anything, because it looks really off.

Perhaps the answer to that is doing a CK set to show how's shit done right, I'm off to see if I'm up to the task.
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't know if this is a wip or not, but I'l mention it for the heck of it.

1- Where is the ward eye ? the yellow eye is the most important thing.
    2- is it gonna be all white like that ? or were they wip textures ? white textures are not allowed as far as i know ...

anyways correct me if I'm wrong.

Its an ability modifier.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    Alright! It's in, yay! Super pumped to have this finished. Really hope you guys like it. You know, aside from giving a middle finger to his traditional colors. <3

bh_marketing.jpg

please give us some thumbs if you dig it, thanks for looking!
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx wrote: »
    Alright! It's in, yay! Super pumped to have this finished. Really hope you guys like it. You know, aside from giving a middle finger to his traditional colors. <3

please give us some thumbs if you dig it, thanks for looking!

The set turned out great, and i think giving the traditional colors the finger was the right call on this one
  • Tamarin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tamarin polycounter lvl 17
    bounchfx - that looks great! I like how you used DOF effect in the promo shot - really nice.

I have finally finished up my Sniper set!

0on2.jpg
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm having trouble on my death animation for my jug ward (ability modifier), it repeats itself 4.5 times before it actually dies. What do I do?
  • quockhanhlk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    quockhanhlk polycounter lvl 11
    i think that death animation of your ward is way to short
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i think that death animation of your ward is way to short

How long should animations be (frames/sec)? I never found anything specifies the duration of animations.
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How long should animations be (frames/sec)? I never found anything specifies the duration of animations.

Can't you just decompile the stock mdl and view the animation that way? Or try loading the mdl in the SFM or CS:GO hlmv to view the default animation. You should match what Valve has included for the default to avoid the looping before the full death cycle finishes.
  • SemiColonThree
    dota_item_arms_of_burning_turmoil_large.png

Am I the only the who thinks its wrong to give old work to an esport organization to brute force it into the game? :smokin:

What do you guys think? First the Penquin, now this.

Look, thats my brothers set and I do agree that the horse has some uv space issues, but comparing it to the penguin is too far of an over-exaggeration, and you are just being rude. To be quite frank, I think the resolution on the horse is borderline acceptable to fit in the dota 2 realm. and not to mention, the resolution on every other slot seems flawless to me. From what I see, nobody is having a problem with this set besides you, a lot of people seem to be buying it as its #1 on top sellers.
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    I'm happy for him that the set got in sure, but there's issues that people have pointed out.

The problem I feel most people are having with the set is the fact that its old and the reason it got in (most likely) is that its attached to a tournament/team/whatever and was effectively put in only because of that connection. If Valve wanted to put a CK set in there are better choices IMO. The quality isn't really an issue, but the comparison between the two items is the same. The penguin was put in because it was attached to a team and not because it was a high quality piece, there are some amazing couriers still in the Workshop. Its a slippery slope that contributors don't want to be a part of...Its just concerning