Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Gheromo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gheromo polycounter lvl 11
    Are you sure? I think I saw some people a while ago doing items where they would have extra bones for particular items they would do, so that they become dynamic. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
  • Coyo.Te
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coyo.Te polycounter lvl 4
    some heroes have jiggle bones be it staff, hair, cloak or something but thats hero dependend.
  • Gheromo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That makes sence now. Thank you. :)
  • Prosomogy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    :D some like this :D need help, in game bugs ;o (test masks)
    gTWnK8OPPP0.jpg
    CFC_iCJYHG0.jpg
    N6rAlttCQ80.jpg
    tTVtGX5IDYA.jpg
  • Kraken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kraken interpolator
    It's almost done...
    Dfkup7O.jpg
    LskYwY4.jpg
  • Vayne4800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 polycounter lvl 3
    Kraken, you just getting scarier with your work! Btw, good job being famous on reddit XD!
  • Prophet9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prophet9 polycounter lvl 9
    Very nice Kraken!
  • foxclover
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That is really coming along well, Kraken! It looks great. My one suggestion would be to change the color of the bag - it's pretty visually similar to the broom. Maybe a green color would make it stand out more
  • Technoviking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How do you guys get the entire hero models to pose and take those awesome screenshots with your items?
  • fx01
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nikey wrote: »
    Hey everybody, me with SlimeFace finished our set for silencer! Hope you like it!

030652085EB7B45A7C944AB1EB28D85452BC9BBF

maybe im alone but isnt that a bit lot yellow?:P it feels not balanced :o
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    two halloween couriers! they both look awesome, you guys are spoiling us! good luck! :D
  • Vayne4800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I missed working on some hardsurface item, basically a sharp weapon, and so I picked up this Abaddon sword concept by Mango and this is the progress of the blockout. Should be able to finish it within the next two days and get back to the big stuff.

JtVN095.jpg
  • Rubus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rubus polycounter lvl 5
    How do you guys get the entire hero models to pose and take those awesome screenshots with your items?

Import the models to the 3d editing software of your choice, pose the model, set up lights, materials & camera and make a render.

Some people use the Source Filmmaker to do this, as it can use Dota 2 shaders, and I think one of Valve's SDKs can import Dota 2 models as well, but I never used them.
  • Gheromo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thought I would post todays progress before going to bed. Onto texturing tomorrow.

55aclnV.jpg
  • Technoviking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rubus wrote: »
    Import the models to the 3d editing software of your choice, pose the model, set up lights, materials & camera and make a render.

Some people use the Source Filmmaker to do this, as it can use Dota 2 shaders, and I think one of Valve's SDKs can import Dota 2 models as well, but I never used them.

Thanks for the reply
    where do I find the models to import tho? :PP
  • Rubus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rubus polycounter lvl 5
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    There is far too much awesome going on here! it is out of control! Vlad I enjoyed your Void stream today! First bake pass at my Lod0. Got some stuff to rebake, Handplane has been fun, crushing this down to 350 is going to kinda suck, may need to retopo for a second time :poly122: :poly142:

Edit: I am pretty sure this Lod0 is going to be redone again, must optimize!
    SpearWip6.jpg
  • Technoviking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rubus wrote: »

Well well would you look at that! :P
    I always downloaded the models and just went straight for the weapons... guess I need to pay more attention to stuff :P
    Thanks a lot man! :D
  • fx01
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well well would you look at that! :P
    I always downloaded the models and just went straight for the weapons... guess I need to pay more attention to stuff :P
    Thanks a lot man! :D

those files are totally outdated ! i would not use them again :(
    you should unpack the vpk files with gcfscape and decompile the models with studiocompiler

btw i could really need some crits on my first set try

here are some ingame tests (lod1)
    9vwO3Ro.jpg
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fx01 wrote: »
    those files are totally outdated ! i would not use them again :(
    you should unpack the vpk files with gcfscape

If you have TF2 installed you can also unpack vpk's with vpk.exe. I copy the files to my DOTA working dir, and you simply drag the pak01_dir.vpk onto vpk.exe and it will extract everything!
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Hey guys...

I'm having MASSIVE trouble trying to get a sword in game for dragon knight. I haven't used the workshop tools for about a year, and I haven't done it with dragon knight before...

Well, here's what it looks like in 3dsmax, right with his default sword:

17b.jpg

And this is what it looks like in game:

17.jpg

I've tried so much to fix it, resetting transform, scaling it down, rigging it on odd angles (the angles work, scale doesn't). Sometimes it crashes dota, sometimes it just doesn't render at all. I'm so confused, it seems so inconsistent.

This has probably been asked but there's so many pages to this thread I'd really have no idea where to start.

If someone can walk me through how to actually rig this and export it properly, I'd be extremely grateful, I seem to be doing so much wrong.

Thanks, Eleryn
  • mihalceanu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mihalceanu polycounter lvl 6
    Eleryn : when you import the FBX ( if thats the case here) dont forget to allways use centimeters in the UNITS dropdown pannel . This is probbably the problem here .

kite212 : I would use a long pumpkin instead of the rounder one you are using , to make the spear a little thinner . Now it gives the imppresion that its a nature prophet staff insteaf of a spear(from what I remember , it is a enchantress spear :D right? )

cheers
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Arg, that didn't seem to work. I fiddled with it a bit, now the game is just giving me "Import failed" when it tries to compile the model. I can't figure out why it's failing, it offers no explanation as to why, just "Error: compile failed".

Is there a tutorial I can follow on how to take a model through the whole process? Because clearly I'm doing a lot wrong.

EDIT: Now I can't seem to get it to import into the game at all.

I've tried exporting it from a new file with fresh imports, tried just importing it with no skinning, tried resetting xform, etc etc, no luck, always fails to import.

This is hard, how does everyone manage to do this all the time?
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    so i´ve had problems with fbx in the past.
    the solution for me was to only import and export smd´s. since i´ve been using smd´s i never had any problems.
    now if your model always fails to import, try exporting a cube, skinned to one of the bones, if that works, there is something wrong with your model.
    finding the problem here can be realy hard, because it could be anything, maby you should start a thread and show us some specifics.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    there was a time when I used to get sleep.

here's the rest of BH's head, still in sculpt form, low poly and bakes tomorrow:

bh_set_wip2.PNG

that makes for all the 'pieces' being ready to texture, minus some rigging tests and fiddling to see if I can fit more neat stuff in the set.

sleep now
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Goeddy wrote: »
    so i´ve had problems with fbx in the past.
    the solution for me was to only import and export smd´s. since i´ve been using smd´s i never had any problems.

It worked perfectly when I exported it to a SMD. The scale is correct, and it imported fine.

Thank you!
  • soulstice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    soulstice polycounter lvl 9
    Finished my first set for Natures Prophet. Took me awhile but it was a good learning experience. xD

tYsaaDx.jpg
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    Nice sculpt bounch :D

Sleep is overrated anyway ;)
  • Tamarin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tamarin polycounter lvl 17
    So, working with the feedback from Vlad I made a few changes. I increased the shoulder size and got rid of the eyes (something he mentioned on hangout). The gun does still look similar to the original - but I consider that a plus (my first two guns did not fit the DOTA style very well).
    4zz1.jpg
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vlad_the_implyer polycounter lvl 5
    Tamarin wrote: »
    So, working with the feedback from Vlad I made a few changes. I increased the shoulder size and got rid of the eyes (something he mentioned on hangout). The gun does still look similar to the original - but I consider that a plus (my first two guns did not fit the DOTA style very well).
    My nigga, those bug-eyes are awesome and good work on the shoulders. I still think that the weapon is too similar to the default, maybe you could work on that gold and bring it out more, highlight that it's a fancy rifle. Maybe you could add a scope or maybe something like this
  • branch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    0taFCon.jpg

I don't like the shape of the horns, and the light blue part.
    I think I'll make the horns bigger and replace the big blue block with some kind of curvy line design.
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mihalceanu wrote: »
    kite212 : I would use a long pumpkin instead of the rounder one you are using , to make the spear a little thinner . Now it gives the imppresion that its a nature prophet staff insteaf of a spear(from what I remember , it is a enchantress spear :D right? )
    cheers

Yeah this is an Enchantress spear for now. I probably won't rework it much as I have spent way too long on it so far, but this will really depend on how it looks in game with her holding it. With the shape though I am really considering modifying a version and making it into a Nature's staff.
  • Prosomogy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think its my best icon ;D
    Godnes hammer
    52B63B11055AFA4F127FB1D0932D04908BD36A52
    Starting work with another item.
    dZS_GQfsf7A.jpg
    G6T3Iz7Ayao.jpg
    viaQdIpOuEg.jpg
  • YourDownfall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YourDownfall polycounter lvl 9
    Currently working on new hair for Death Prophet ;-)

lksy7kk5ru1p.png
  • Tyn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tyn polycounter lvl 10
    So much inspirational stuff in this thread! I put my Riki set on ice for a bit. Working on a Blade for Axe which he will actually use as an axe.

WIP_AXE.jpg

Pretty happy with the results so far. Although i'm struggling with the normal maps and baking. Hoping to fix last normal map issues tomorrow, and finish the whole thing up by the end of the weekend :) Crits are welcome! Must sleeeeeeeep.
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tyn wrote: »
    Pretty happy with the results so far. Although i'm struggling with the normal maps and baking. Hoping to fix last normal map issues tomorrow, and finish the whole thing up by the end of the weekend :) Crits are welcome! Must sleeeeeeeep.

Bake an object space normal in xNormal and then run that and your low poly through Handplane. Amazing results. :thumbup:
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    Getting this into 350tris is gonna kiiiilll meeee D:
    BWW3SYiCQAAcVzQ.jpg:large
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vlad_the_implyer polycounter lvl 5
    Let it out friend, don't just waste the bandwidth by making people update the thread.
  • Coyo.Te
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coyo.Te polycounter lvl 4
    Let it out friend, don't just waste the bandwidth by making people update the thread.

I think he took offense in the word bug-eye. You know, he seems to wear glasses judging from his avatar.
  • Kraken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kraken interpolator
    I've finally submited my Pumpkin courier.
    Upvote if you like it:)

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=185312631

Gxv1A3A.jpg
    hAGrQ83.jpg
    qhr4GDk.jpg
  • Bas1c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Does anyone know if the green channel has to be flipped in topogun for baking normal maps?
  • Tyn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tyn polycounter lvl 10
    kite212 wrote: »
    Bake an object space normal in xNormal and then run that and your low poly through Handplane. Amazing results. :thumbup:

I've tried handplane and it's giving me some weird results. However i'm pretty sure it's got nothing to do with handplane. I've got random hard seams running through the bake everything cross the seams looks inverted. I'm suspecting it's my UVs or maybe something in my export setting that i'm overlooking. Anyway, i'v been tinkering for hours, if anyone recognises what i'm doing wrong, please point me in the right direction!

EDIT: BINGO! Apparently it's a bad idea to mirror UVs before you bake. Good to know :)

Hitl_os_normals_Work.png
    Getting this into 350tris is gonna kiiiilll meeee D:

Your sculpts are so clean and polished! Gives me something to work towards. Looking great!
    Kraken wrote: »
    I've finally submited my Pumpkin courier.
    Upvote if you like it:)

Adorable!
  • Vayne4800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished my quick project before going back to the monthly competition. Amazing concept by Mango and here is the finished item. Another Abaddon sword! YES!

Mistborn by Vayne and Mango

C9CABAB6975C72731B97659EAD06FD8394EC42D4

OCCPlhZ.jpg
    r6iDcvD.jpg

Hope you like it! Hitting those 300 tris with this design was challenging.
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    Tyn wrote: »
    I've tried handplane and it's giving me some weird results. However i'm pretty sure it's got nothing to do with handplane. I've got random hard seams running through the bake everything cross the seams looks inverted. I'm suspecting it's my UVs or maybe something in my export setting that i'm overlooking. [strike]Anyway i'v been tinkering for hours, if anyone recognises what i'm doing wrong, please point me in the right direction![/strike]

EDIT: BINGO! Apparently it's a bad idea to mirror UVs before you bake. Good to know :)

Hitl_os_normals_Work.png

Your sculpts are so clean and polished! Gives me something to work towards. Looking great!

Adorable!

you have overlapping mirrored UV´s. you need to select all the uv´s from one side of the model and move them exactly 1 UV-space to the right.
  • fx01
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    check the offical documentation :

"To achieve better texture details you can overlap UVs on symmetrical or repeating parts of the model but do not weld them through. Internally we offset overlapping UVs +1 in U direction"

// oops too slow :p
  • Tyn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tyn polycounter lvl 10
    Goeddy wrote: »
    you have overlapping mirrored UV´s. you need to select all the uv´s from one side of the model and move them exactly 1 UV-space to the right.

That was it, worked like a charm. Thanks!
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    My first submission to the workshop in like, a year. Still getting back into the swing of things~

workshop_thumbnail_sm.jpg
  • Tamarin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tamarin polycounter lvl 17
    I still think that the weapon is too similar to the default, maybe you could work on that gold and bring it out more, highlight that it's a fancy rifle.

better?

q7up.jpg
  • Nikey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nikey polycounter lvl 10
    I've finished axe's axe

268x268.resizedimage