Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• fx01
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nikey wrote: »
    I've finished axe's axe

268x268.resizedimage

nice one very creative ! but axe? come on thats some kind of morning star?!

is that possible on every character?! that jiggle ? i would love to add some hanging stuff to my crap :D
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Hey guys! It has been a some time since I posted something here, and also some time without modelling something on a computer, so I'm picking stuff up again. I'm finishing up that CK set I've started some time ago with Stefco, with only the shoulders left now. I would love to get some feedback on the overall shape, since I'm kinda rusting on doing items for Dota. Suggestions are also very welcome.

aTQgqwO.png

I'm getting started on some sculpting, but I'm just trying some stuff out to get an idea of how everything is going to look in the end.
  • Bas1c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Has anyone had problems with textures when publishing, mine look fine in 3ds max but once uploaded they are back to front have weird shadows on them and look terrible and i haven't got a clue what's causing it :(
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    Tyn wrote: »
    I've tried handplane and it's giving me some weird results. However i'm pretty sure it's got nothing to do with handplane. I've got random hard seams running through the bake everything cross the seams looks inverted. I'm suspecting it's my UVs or maybe something in my export setting that i'm overlooking. Anyway, i'v been tinkering for hours, if anyone recognises what i'm doing wrong, please point me in the right direction!

EDIT: BINGO! Apparently it's a bad idea to mirror UVs before you bake. Good to know :)

Hitl_os_normals_Work.png

You can and should mirror uvs before baking. Just offset the copy a full UV square over and make sure you using the same copy for the object space bake as the tangent space conversion (just dont shuffle things back and forth)

Also, to clarify this section of the documentation:
    "To achieve better texture details you can overlap UVs on symmetrical or repeating parts of the model but do not weld them through. Internally we offset overlapping UVs +1 in U direction"

That automatic shell offset function is totally unnecessary. Every other game dev workflow involves manually offsetting overlapping copies of the UVs. Also, leaving the UVs on top of eachother and letting the engine offset them is inviting problems with baking AO and other accessory maps. Its also a confusing quote intruction. Certainly do weld the two halves of your model (it's only referring to welding uvs) and you can decide if you want a hard edge between them or not.
  • Rubus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rubus polycounter lvl 5
    @Bas1c:

My first guess is that your mask files are messed up somehow.
  • Bas1c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's not the masks, i have tweaked them 50 times and nothing changes the texture is showing up backwards in game, like hilt texture is appearing on the end of the sword and vice versa but in max the texture and uvs are fine :S
  • Prosomogy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    anyone have any ideas why i got this problem whan bake prtN and prtP maps?:(
    OXKfkvW7irY.jpg
  • Zalakzik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guys,i also finished my Diretide halloween, its not so freaking awesome like Pumpkin but anyway. Vote if u like :)
    rRONBMJ.jpg
  • branch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like it, but I think the walking and flying versions are too similar (they're identical actually!).
    I also think that the walking death and rare idle could be improved a bit.
    Great job! :)
  • Prosomogy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Test textures :c anyone please answer how fix that problem with prtP and prtN maps problem with triangles on it ;c
    5J05ceBMnOA.jpg
    3qik0yStERw.jpg
    -HL9E68euDo.jpg
  • PolyGoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx wrote: »
    there was a time when I used to get sleep.

here's the rest of BH's head, still in sculpt form, low poly and bakes tomorrow:

bh_set_wip2.PNG

that makes for all the 'pieces' being ready to texture, minus some rigging tests and fiddling to see if I can fit more neat stuff in the set.

sleep now

Howdy folks! Sam Noone here :D been lurking on the count for about 3 year :p This is my first real post. Been working with Bounchfx on a bounty hunter set! here is the concept I did. There were a few minor changes to fit the rig a little better. look for updates soon! we will be texturing this weekend. His bakes came out really clean XD

Crop_zps4970e624.jpg

bh_weps_base2_zps776b838d.jpg

looking forward to learning more about this process and maybe even trying my hand at some 3d assets soon :D
  • fx01
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prosomogy wrote: »
    Test textures :c anyone please answer how fix that problem with prtP and prtN maps problem with triangles on it ;c
    5J05ceBMnOA.jpg
    3qik0yStERw.jpg
    -HL9E68euDo.jpg

maybe im wrong .. but there is no need to use bent normal maps?! im not even sure if source supports them?!

just use xnormal tobake ambient occlusion / world normalmap and base color & for zbrush users highpoly vertex colors

then translate the world normal using handplane to a source optimized tangent normalmap

thats doing it ?!

greetings
  • Plant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prosomogy wrote: »
    anyone have any ideas why i got this problem whan bake prtN and prtP maps?:(
    OXKfkvW7irY.jpg

Looks like baking with symmetry?
  • Prosomogy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thx guy's for answer! I fix it, aslo done weapon :) wona say big thx Dvonio for his help:)
    vIhxKJZNheA.jpg
    pZg1K5YzEGc.jpg
  • Jalcober
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jalcober polycounter lvl 10
    PolyGoon wrote: »
    Howdy folks! Sam Noone here :D been lurking on the count for about 3 year :p This is my first real post. Been working with Bounchfx on a bounty hunter set! here is the concept I did. There were a few minor changes to fit the rig a little better. look for updates soon! we will be texturing this weekend. His bakes came out really clean XD

Crop_zps4970e624.jpg

looking forward to learning more about this process and maybe even trying my hand at some 3d assets soon :D

Lovely concepts!
  • HatPoweredSpyCrab
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HatPoweredSpyCrab polycounter lvl 10
    It's been a while....Holy sh... this post keeps getting better and better...

I've always wondered why Jalcober, Nikey and some more have Avatars with the same style D: if anyone could help me jejeje
    cheers guys!!
  • Rowinish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rowinish polycounter lvl 8
    Hey guys, I need some crits on my WIP Death Prophet set.
    Thanks!
    10237419126_0619734510_o.png
  • Jalcober
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jalcober polycounter lvl 10
    It's been a while....Holy sh... this post keeps getting better and better...

I've always wondered why Jalcober, Nikey and some more have Avatars with the same style D: if anyone could help me jejeje
    cheers guys!!

Robo made them for us. :)
  • HatPoweredSpyCrab
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HatPoweredSpyCrab polycounter lvl 10
    @Jalcober I want one but I guess I will have to make something amazing with him first!! :P
    cheers!!
  • PolyGoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Jalcober! just check out all your works in the workshop. Holy moly! super cool stuff :D I love the asymetry of that Death Prophet! keep goin! Ide say overall just make sure you have nice S curves. i see in some places like the cloth on the chest where the s curve is broken a little on the boob.
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vlad_the_implyer polycounter lvl 5
    I actually liked the idea so much, that i reimagined "Decorated Shooter"
    Xhu7gDs.jpg

Still not sure if i can push the normals on the engraving to be actually shiny, or maybe i should fakepaint the shiny highlights, huh.
  • Bas1c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is really starting to take the piss! I fixed all my texture problems but now import keeps failing with CtargetMDL compile failed error even tho i used the exact same export settings that were working just a few hours ago WTF :S

Anyone know whats causing this CTargetmdl error?
  • Rubus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rubus polycounter lvl 5
    @Rowinish:

Looking fantastic!

I think you could make something to cover the bottom end of that strange purple gradient on her breasts, unless there's a way of removing it from the base model.

Otherwise, it's looking damn smexy.

@Vlad:

I really liked the sights, and the overall shape of the rifle, but the barrel feels too empty.

Maybe try adding some parallel creases, nothing too fancy, just to break the eveness of the texture.
  • Prosomogy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Big thx Dvonio for help with normal map.
    Soulstone Blade
    948925338E412E19F97C646B7A57D73F96F8F1AD
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vlad_the_implyer polycounter lvl 5
    Rubus wrote: »
    I really liked the sights, and the overall shape of the rifle, but the barrel feels too empty.

Maybe try adding some parallel creases, nothing too fancy, just to break the eveness of the texture.
    You're damn right!
    bOknWnk.jpg
  • Rubus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rubus polycounter lvl 5
  • Hawt Koffee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt Koffee polycounter lvl 13
    PolyGoon wrote: »

Crop_zps4970e624.jpg

gorgeous concepts
  • Rowinish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rowinish polycounter lvl 8
    @PolyGoon
    Thanks for input!

@Rubus
    Thanks for the comments, I was thinking about getting rid of the purple however i was reluctant because I don't know if Valve might categorize that as too risque or obscene, but I might just e-mail and ask.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    hey guys, running into a really annoying problem, if anyone has any advice that'd be great.

All of a sudden none of my exporting seems to be working right - stuff that was working fine before now exports rotated 90 degrees from the origin. For my weapons normally at origin this means they are just sitting at 0 rotated 90 degrees. for stuff like my helmet it's rotated 90 degrees but it's the distance away from the origin as it would be translated upwards near the head. It's really, really frustrating and I've tried all my normal workarounds including a clean file and loading in a reference model. It's just very confusing to me because this stuff was working yesterday. Any ideas?

EDIT:

So apparently it's because I didn't have the bones selected at the same time as the object when I exported. I've never had to select them before, I don't know why it started behaving differently now. Cost me 4 hours but at least I have another way to troubleshoot. :(

back to texturing..
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    Had to take my mind off my pumpkin spear for a while, the unwraps were garbage, and the in game model is trash, so lots of work on that. While mucking around i made this Ghost Scepter inspired spear, lots of texture work to do:
    WipInGame.jpg

HpPreview.jpg
  • Hawt Koffee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt Koffee polycounter lvl 13
    one of NFWar's concepts
    v9oqoQR.png

Handplane did a good job on the normal bake
  • fx01
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Hawt Koffee

he looks really badass with it

good job!
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    alright, the set is done! just need to do all the craploads of presentation stuff we have to do if we want to get any attention XD. thumbnails, screenshots, videos, and a banner will hopefully be ready sometime tomorrow night. Hope you guys dig it!

BH_setpreview.png
  • rory
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rory polycounter lvl 5
    Bounchfx - Those are some pretty sweet weapons. Think the greenish hue works really well with Bounty Hunter. Set looks rad.

Finally finished this set, been working on for quite some time now.

oR4ztrQ.jpg
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=185931350
  • Gheromo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gheromo polycounter lvl 11
    So I decided to repurpose staff I did earlier for the Witch Doctor, as I felt like it wasnt quite matching Natures Propher.

XuSmXnv.png

So here is the set I am designing at the moment. I will also redo staff, when I will finalise character to a point where I am happy.
  • Snowstorm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowstorm polycounter lvl 5
    alright, the set is done! just need to do all the craploads of presentation stuff we have to do if we want to get any attention XD. thumbnails, screenshots, videos, and a banner will hopefully be ready sometime tomorrow night. Hope you guys dig it!

That BH set looks brilliant! Love the green accents.
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Would love some feedback on the sculpt. I don't want to exaggerate on details since it's going to be seen from a distance in-game and Stefco will be painting the textures.

ZTD8K5o.png

qsp34S0.png
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    Hey guys

Doing a concept for PA trying to take off that helmet =]

Do you guys think an scythe is too much of a change for her?
    4PXw3.jpg
  • Soldeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soldeus polycounter lvl 10
    Is anyone having problems with the Particle Placement in the Dota previewer? Trying to change the particle location in a Skywrath Staff I'm working on but nothing seems to change. It keeps showing the default ones instead of the ones I'm importing.

I'm guessing it's an importer problem because, if I am importing a my own ones, logic thing should be that it either works fine, or they appear somewhere else they shouldn't, or don't appear at all, but It definetely shouldn't show me the default ones, right?

Here is the staff, hope you like it ^^
    4PZxr.png
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    @rory & snowstorm - thanks you guys!!

@ T_Vidotto - I think a scythe would look pretty awesome on her, as long as her animations are conductive to it.. or maybe they would give her new ones?

@ Soldeus - I had a similar issue, where some of my particle fx meshes are appearing offset from the actual mesh. It didn't seem like where I placed and froze them mattered for 2 out of the 3 I made. On that note, I also wish there was a way to toggle the particles on or off, since for some heroes the particles only turn on occasionally. I haven't seen any of the original particle fx mesh show over my items though.. :\ damn I don't think that was helpful at all. sorry!!
  • Prosomogy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Working with update ;3
    doc47308563_229645296?hash=5fc9fd4f1e7cb68006&dl=8a6e0ad53f6bf80d7d&wnd=1
    Get fun with gifts :D
    doc47308563_229655216?hash=a1e5bd9cdf59887149&dl=84bc342b4ac086cb96&wnd=1
  • Soldeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prosomogy, how did you get the Skywrath staff particles working? Do you mind giving me a small step-by-step in how you did it? I'm not sure in which one am I failing xD

Really nice modeling and texturing improvement, btw :D
  • Prosomogy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soldeus wrote: »
    Prosomogy, how did you get the Skywrath staff particles working? Do you mind giving me a small step-by-step in how you did it? I'm not sure in which one am I failing xD

Really nice modeling and texturing improvement, btw :D
    Add me to friends.;3
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/prostomogy/
  • Soldeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    4Q6Do.png

It's working now, I just had to use Dota 2 Test instead of normal Dota to import, thanks to prosomogy for pointing it out to me :D
  • Technoviking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys, I updated my Manta Style for CK with new colors and a corrupted look, tell me what you think!

536087EBFD60589A056B883A92C259872B2DEC02

2E7F5C0A41934688C9379C0ECA8E9D3A7B43D7EB

259E43699344D2336624301A4505150A361F843D

link is: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=184481545

Thanks!
  • Plant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    Hey guys

4PXw3.jpg

Are those feathers on her head / shoulder? If you greyscale it all the shoulder / head looks like something windrunner, and the scythe is probably the most PA like.

It looks quality, just not a fan of feathers for mortred.
  • mrpresident
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrpresident polycounter lvl 10
    Marketing2.jpg

Well, it was a long journey, but the alchemist set for alliance mr. scrake and I made is finally in the workshop :).
  • fx01
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    Hey guys

4PXw3.jpg

hhmhm thats pretty too much necrolyte style .. but how about a double sided scythe ?

hmhm on the other hand no risk no fun?
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    @ T_Vidotto - I think a scythe would look pretty awesome on her, as long as her animations are conductive to it.. or maybe they would give her new ones?

that is the idea =]

Soldeus wrote: »
    Here is the staff, hope you like it ^^
    4PZxr.png
    This staff is looking amazing!

fx01 wrote: »
    hhmhm thats pretty too much necrolyte style .. but how about a double sided scythe ?

hmm, maybe is a good idea, worth the try
    it is sad on necrolite that he doesnt uses his scythe, could be anything else and still work to shoot magic balls =]

Plant wrote: »
    Are those feathers on her head / shoulder? If you greyscale it all the shoulder / head looks like something windrunner, and the scythe is probably the most PA like.

It looks quality, just not a fan of feathers for mortred.

The idea of the feather is kind of they are trying to hide the blades on the sholder and maybe on the hair (didnt decide if im going with blade for the hair too)
    The original model its all dark and have that torn cape, i wanted to make something less used in battle, like she is some kind of high class assassin, maybe an assassin queen.

Ah, i also moved the daggers from the hip, that is not a good place to have naked daggers if you are running around =]
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    Awesome job mrpresident! Alc desperately needed more items. Looks freaking sweet man!