OverDose - Shameless Self Media Pimpage [id tech 2]

Replies

• aajohnny
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 1.4K Replies
    It looks pretty good, but the plants on the floor are just there... you should have the tiles cracked, or cracking, like the roots/plants are coming out.
  • odium
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 2K Replies
    Yup, I thought the EXACT same thing then :p I'll see what I can do.
  • odium
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 2K Replies
    The new main menu screen. The finger doesn't twitch yet, which it will :p

Also the new theme tune for the game has just been completed, so pimped it shall be:

[ame=""]OverDose - New Theme Song & UI - YouTube[/ame]

od_ui_main.png
  • s6
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 900 Replies
    This is beyond awesome ! Can't wait to see more :)
  • odium
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 2K Replies
  • pseudoBug
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 217 Replies
    Pretty awesome stuff.

Do you have any gameplay/tech demos or vids?
  • Zipfinator
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 2.7K Replies
    Where will the tits be included in the aforementioned screenshot?

I didn't comment earlier but looks like it's coming along pretty fancily. It's great that you've done all of this as a small independent group. A few friends and I are thinking of doing something like this soon so it's very inspiring to me.
  • odium
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 2K Replies
    For more videos, check out the YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/gavavva Theres quite a lot there!

As for tits... I would love to post some lovely bojangly ones but it will have to wait... We have some pretty damn disgusting designs for female player models, but w want to wait for the males to be done first before we look into "extra" models.

So, for now, this is the best I can do!

720-blue-tit-IMG_8936.jpg
  • Sandro
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 622 Replies
    Okay, this is looking very very cool, but how viable is this kind of development plan?

2 guys doing everything from scratch is bloody impressive, but obviously it's going to take a long time to finish. Graphics seem pretty much AAA based on screenshots you've posted, but how are you going to ensure it stays so and maintains edge over competition after say, 4 years?
  • odium
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 2K Replies
    Because we are being realistic. We know that in 4 years we likely own't have an edge... But I ask you to try and find me any small team game that does? Hell, most full on retail games with massive budgets wont even manage that.

The simple truth is always as follows:

Want the game out quicker? Then help.
    Want the game to look better? Then help.
    Want the game to always have that "edge"? Then help!

We simply try our best, but without HELP, theres not much more we can do other than our best. We do, however, have a LOT in the game thats not even ready for modern day use but can be enabled if you wish. 64 samples on shadow mapping? Multiple high ultra quality shader settings and materials? Real time reflections on things that dont need them? Amazingly high quality POM/AO? Hell, even real time light shafts can ALL use ray traced shadowing... If you enable it. Of course at the moment, if you whack everything up to insane levels then it wont run smooth all the time, but that stuffs there for now.

The thing is, we don't worry about the graphics. We worry about how it will play. Do you worry about how bad Link To The Past looks when you load it up? Or Doom? Grpahics always change. Crysis won't look amazing in a few years, even... But it will always play the same. Thats the important thing, but its also something we can control easy by changing it as/when needed.
  • odium
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 2K Replies
    Ok, well, after some thought, I decided to get this up on IndieGoGo. I wanted to try and get some funding so that I could hire out more awesome artists to help with the project. So, as a totally shameless pimp, here is our link:

http://www.indiegogo.com/overdose

I did try kickstarter, but they were all like "Oh hell naw, we don't serve your kind here, get lost".

I'll be posting more updates in the next day or two from the actual game :p
  • marze
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 4 Replies
    The Team Blur Games is doing an amazing job.
    You have changed the id Tech 2 engine making it a quality actual engine. That's impressive.
    It 'a bit of time I see your progress and your skills as artists and coders is equal to your determination.
    Good luck.
  • odium
  • Dylan Brady
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 1.1K Replies
    Looks Really Good.
  • odium
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 2K Replies
    Ignore the Marauder looking the same, its pure conincidinky:

od_indiegogo_new_2_large.jpg
  • l.croxton
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 210 Replies
    This project looks insaine and if I had any talent to likes of anyone on here I would be very quick to throw my hand up and ask to help as a volunteer :). However I just wanted to ask that with the most recent picture, does the game actually look like that when you play? because as much as the screen shot looks awesome doesnt the fact everything kinda blends in a bit to much together because of the sepia tone its kinda hard to pick details out. With the dude in the corner there is nothing to point out he is a bad guy sort of thing.

Maybe a better way to put it is for example, high contrast pictures of games look awesome but high contrast games are horrible when actually playing.

Asside from that, everything about this project is inspiring to myself :). Good luck with it :D.
  • odium
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 2K Replies
    It does yeah, but we havent tagged real time light to the models yet (via tagging in the skeleton, full real time lighting ftw!). The enemy is orange, the good guys green. Each class/character has lights on the back and front, and are not exactly "in your face" but are enough to make it easier to spot your team vs theirs.

The lights can be seen better in this shot, but imagine them as an actual light source, and glowing:

od_polycount_11.jpg
  • l.croxton
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 210 Replies
    Ah right I see what you mean :). You lost me a bit with tagging on the lights but I am guessing you mean basically sticking a light to a character which has real time lighting effects? sorry for being rather ignorant about this hahah.

Also the lights look pretty good, although it took me a while to spot :P. These models look pretty awesome though. Do you guys have a website or something that I can follow this on? :)
  • Joseph Silverman
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 4.1K Replies
    Nice updates! That head with the balaclava is tighhhhtttt, who's the artist? Did you make that?

Two questions:

First, idle curiosity, how prototyped or implemented is your movement system? Will you guys be able to show some video of parkouring around levels in first person, at least, for the indiegogo/kickstarter?

Second, for more specific reasons, how possible or likely will attachments and extra costume elements on the characters be? I'd love to see some variations of different straps/gear/pouches over these dudes to really sell the scavenger/raider look.
  • odium
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 2K Replies
    Yeah I made that one, but when I get home I need to rework it a tad as I forgot somthing... Bloody ears... :p None of my refs had them shown because they were covered so tightly but everybody always says the same thing, that it looks odd that way. So I'll likely do somehing even if its just in the bump.

1) The website is http://www.team-blur-games.com/overdose but we use http://www.moddb.com/games/overdose a whole lot more.

2) The video for stuff is nearly done, its just I had to leave early for my birthday week stuffs as my girlfriend had a death in the family, so I put it aside a little to spend a little quality time with her. I should be back onto that this week. With regards to the movement system, everything is in there, even crouch sliding under broken doors and what not, with weapon... the trouble is, theres not enough actual on screen animation to really support it just yet to really show it off. But the video does include lots of WIP media and animation and the like, both from first person and third person. All of thats in, and is usable in the various maps. The only thing thats really not in is the buddy up system, but that one needs to wait a ittle while longer as its more game code, something we are well into now.

2) Well, every player gets to pick their head, thats standard and changes remain over any class change. Thats the second change, the classes, as each class five per team) has a different model. The last is change is load out, as we have lots of different weapons and class specific gear, all of which can be changed with attachments at will, each having their own strengths and weaknesses, so each being something that works best at a given task. The good news is that every weapon is available right off the bat, and NEARLY every weapon to every class. That means medics can use shotguns for example, but rocket launchers is a bit of an odd choice. Attachments are unlocked over a series of progression based challenges, be it simply kill X people, or killing a certain way. We wanted to give the player at least some sense of progression in this area, so that he had access to every weapon in the game off the bat, but smaller tweaks like holo sights, silencers etc, would be more suited to a players play style instead. We want to give it a bit more focus on the player there, and a bit less on the "ZOMG NEW TOYS!!!" COD formula.

The way attachments work is via tagging onto different bones. Thats what allows us to have for example, a laser sight, or a silencer, all with the same animation set. Adding the pouches and things is a great idea, but sadly would require a lot more work on the animation side (Something we need some SERIOUS help with right now). The truth of the matter there is that the player animations atm all have standard model bones/skeletons up to the head, with an additional 6 for taggng flares, 2 for weapons in each hand, and a special bone for the random "tube" the field ops class has. Using this single rig we can animate every MP character, which cuts down on the workload a LOT (but isn't vital to the game working, just something we aimed for to make life easier). Heads on the other hand, have a series of small simple animations, and each have their own rig (due to different shapes, sizes and scales), and these range from simple phonemes for speach, to simple animation sets like blink, shout, scream, pain etc. In this case, the "head" model is tagged onto the "body" model, same as a weapon would be tagged into the hand. This allows us at least some form of coustomisation on that part.

Add that in with theme specific skins using .skin modifications (Black guy has black skin, when in a snow themed level add a different diffuse covered with frost, different d/n/s set for the body if you want etc) and you have, at the moment, a lot more possibilities. Doing this this way, its totally possible to actually remove surfaces that we don't need and not even render them at all. That includes pouches and things on the the models.

The only problem there is that this is a team based but also CLASS based game. That poses two challenges on the gameplay front. The first was quite rightly pointed out above; Spotting your team mates over the enemy. We solved that with a player lights, that don't make you glow in the dark to everybody in a 40 mile radius, but do allow quick spotting of team mates (NOTE: These lights and materials are totally dependant on if the player selects colour blind mode... Yes, we included that). But the second challenge is actually even bigger... How do you spot a Medic, over a Field Ops? Thats where the different looking classes come in. So adding more or less "things" and "stuffs" to those classes changes the silhouette and general outline of a class. So thats where it gets into murky waters, and we need to draw a fine line between allowing player to do what they need to make them look unique, but still allowing th game to function on a playability level.

But the heads are totally custom... As in, old school custom. As in, hey you don't like the ones we made? Then use your own. We have lose file loading in OverDose on pure servers, which allows you to upload new files (providing they meet a check list of requirements and don't overwrite any older materials). That means if you don't like the selection, and would rather add a Homer Simpson head to the game, go for it. Just don't be shocked when people start head shotting you a million times :p (Two points there, one, we have our own damage model, and head shots if done with a decent enough weapnon will NOT make you "down and waiting for medic" and will instead remove your face, swap the head model for a stump, and shower the area with brain, bone and eyeballs... Not to mention blood. Second point is that all models use a clipping model for impacts, and all use the same model there, to make it fair. Last thing you want is a certain player having a bigger head and being easier to kill).

Hope that answers a few questions! Ignore the typing, I'm on Carla's laptop, and its like typing with gloves on... With no hands.
  • odium
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 2K Replies
    Just put this together the last hour or so, was a fun little project. Was supposed to be like the Quake 2 Strogg Guards, but ended up looking way more like Quake 3's Visor:

mdr_head5_large.jpg

Also, Joseph Silverman has made us a few amazing concepts for the Marauder weapons. Heres the first:

Cw3MI.jpg

Heres a link to his awesome folio: http://catkilo.com/

Still looking for somebody to really do the weapon justice, so any takers, I'm all ears :)
  • Ganemi
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 569 Replies
    No circle strafe jumping, I take it?
  • odium
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 2K Replies
    We have physics, and while the movements slowed down from that of Quake 3, you can still do tricks or sorts, plus with the expanded movement we have, it works great. You can, for example, crouch slide down a hill to build up speed, jump off the end and reach out to grab a ledge, to pull yourself up.

So, no, you can't strafe jump at 90mph around the level. But you can do so much more :p
  • Ganemi
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 569 Replies
    Ah. I've been playing W:ET NoQuarter a ton, lately, and despite how infinitely fun and populated the server is, I can't help but feel like it's missing parkour elements that something like Urban Terror had. Which actually reminds me, are players going to be able to wall jump? I doubt it, for some reason.

Glad you're working so hard on a game that takes direct inspiration from a RTCW, a game with amazing MP. I hope you guys increase your numbers and/or contributors! After watching your videos, I can't help but feel you deserve it. :0

Also, where are you guys physically based out of?
  • odium
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 2K Replies
    No wall jumps, its just not what we want to go down really... You add that and the game goes from one extreme to the other, and we ARE trying to ground this in reality a bit more. OverDose is a tiny bit arcade in that we don't allow instant kill shots at the like, same way really Wolf was a "tiny bit" arcade. We won't be quite as fast as Wolf, because we feel that games have evolved a bit since then, slowed down, maybe even taken a little bit more of a realistic spin on things.

So whle we do allow a hell of a lot for movement, its nothing your average soldier wouldn't be able to pull off. Unlike in COD, where I get met with a 1 foot tall cardboard box I can't leap over.

But wall jumps... They kind of conflict with that. They are a bit mor of a trick jump, bit more of a skill based thing. You don't see many people doing that in real life, and as Brink shows, it doesn't exactly add to gameplay at all... In fct, it just makes the game even harder to control at times.

As for where we are, we are legion. We are everywhere :p I'm based in the UK, our coder from Argentina, and everybody else is all over the shop. A true indie team :p

Heres a complete list of movement options:

-Walk
    -Run
    -Sprint
    -Go Prone
    -Crawl
    -Jump
    -Leap (Sprint+jump)
    -Slide (Sprint+Crawl)
    -Dive (Sprinte+Prone)
    -Mantle onto/over low object (jump in front of object)
    -Mantle over low opbject (Sprint into object and jump = slide over)
    -Mantle onto/over high object (jump in front of object)
    -Buddy help up low (Work with another player to help him up onto a higher ledge)
    -Buddy help up high (Work with another player to pull him up onto a higher ledge)
    -Buddy climb up low (Work with another player to climb up onto a higher ledge)
    -Buddy climb up high (Work with another player to climb up onto a higher ledge)
    -Hang (Hang from side of surface rather than climb up)
    -Hang and move (move left/right)
    -Hang and move forward (Grab a wire, and move forward)
    -Swim
    -Climb ladders

Think thats about it...?
  • odium
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 2K Replies
    Just did this one today... Quite enjoying these quick models. The ears are anything but perfect of course, I know... So shush :p

mdr_head6_large.jpg
  • odium
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 2K Replies
    Made another head, wanted to do something a bit different. Yes the ears naff (again) but shhhh :p

mdr_head7_large.jpg
  • odium
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 2K Replies
    Guys I have a question; A few people (READ: Two) have said that its just totally wrong that these guys have no eyes, at all... Totally ignoring the fact that they are A) Mutants and B) Extra selectable heads for a multiplayer game. A bous, as it were.

I've like to hear your thoughts on this? I don't mind making one or the other, in fact I was gonna make more traditional heads next anyway. But I was trying ot push the mutated and indeed mutilated side of these a bit more. But if its going to far and doesn't appeal, then of course I can tone it down.

Thoughts?
  • Mr Smo
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 435 Replies
    I don't mind the faceless / eyeless heads. fits the mutant theme well. having said that i think they could use maybe abit more metal in there - like with your mutant visor guy, a few feeding tubes or puss draining tubes might add abit more yuck to them :)

awesome work though, I'm looking forward to this, best of luck!
  • ImperialDan
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 8 Replies
    Removing the eyes really dehumanize them. So they look more like mindless cruel monsters than humans with feelings and reason. I think that's what you want, and I think the feeling is great and you pass it very well.

I would even push the dehumanization concept even more with the ones with eye(s). If you look at the last one you've posted, you can feel him thinking. You can feel there is some kind of intelligence in his eye. I don't know if it's what you wanted to, bu it seems to be a "clash" with the ones without eyes/face, who are more "mindless". Maybe can try some different textures in the eyes, to make this one as dehumanized as the other models.