Home General Discussion

-- Belly Off Club --

Replies

• Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas wrote: »
    Yes, sorry about that. I should have been more specific.

All the protein powders I have had tasted like shit compared to properly cooked eggs or meat. I'm not sure why you would eat the stuff unless you have some insane schedule, or are trying to eat 200 grams of protein a day or something. I am kind of picky about what I eat though.
    Most protein powders are whey which is rapid absorbing, the idea is you're supposed to consume it before/after a workout to help aid muscle development when your body needs protein that breaks down fast. Throughout the rest of the day ideally you consume lean meat/eggs/dairy/beans which break down much slower.
  • martinszeme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    martinszeme polycounter lvl 8
    Yup, when I was bulking up I had to eat several chicken breasts a day + lean steak every now and then. Also A LOT of veggies, peanut butter (loads of protein and tasty) and cottage cheese (love the stuff and loads of good stuff there).
    So to replace those chickens I drank one chocolate protein shake in the morning and in the evening (after workout). Taste pretty bad, but you can drink the stuff in few gulps so its ok.
    You end up eating every 2-3 hours. Never felt hungry that month I did it.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    I just left the gym and Im in pain.. god help me..
  • Nemlet17
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, just finished my first 90 days of p90x, 54 pounds dropped, 2XL down to almost a L. This shit works. Will be posting pictures of my slimming (hairy) body. :) Started my second 90 days 3 days ago, bring it! Good luck to the rest of you who are all still working at your programs, never stop!

Zack Dembinski
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    rolfness wrote: »
    I just left the gym and Im in pain.. god help me..
    lol :D!!!

I stopped trying to loose weight, I hit my weight class two weeks ago. Now just working on stamina and technique. Hopefully by November I'll be registered as a pro middleweight boxer :D.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome man. What were your starting and finishing weights and how many calories a day were you eating?
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman wrote: »
    Awesome man. What were your starting and finishing weights and how many calories a day were you eating?
    I started at like 88kg, I'm 79 now. Not much, but it's hard to keep it weekly while adding muscle. So I bounce between 78~80. Just eat when I need to, no overeating and cut much of the sugar. But really wasn't counting calories, but this style fits me and I train hard and burn a lot of energy. Other than boxing, I ride a bike and walk everywhere (not by choice really).
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reading about other people loosing 30+ pounds is crazy, that's a drastic lifestyle change for some. Sports helped me because I need something out of it besides my "health".
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Ah, my question was actually directed at Nemlet hehe, I think I got distacted for a couple of minutes before submitting the post. Just curious about his results as I did P90x and didn't have anywhere near that kind of result, so just trying to get an idea of how he achieved it (ie. starting at a much higher weight for example).
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I gotta google this P90x. Never heard of it till it was mentioned several times in this thread.

::EDIT::

Oh, it's a workout/nutrition/DVD thing? Totally sounded like pills at first.
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artstream polycounter lvl 11
    Chiming in on the P90X. It does make a nice difference after that first 30 days and beyond. By day 30, I had 4 different people tell me that I looked smaller than I had before. But as also mentioned in this thread, changing your food intake is key. High protein foods can really help. Another thing worth mentioning is that everyone has a different body type that handles calories/exercise in its own way. Here's a link I found that sounds pretty accurate: http://www.muscleandstrength.com/articles/what-body-type-are-you.html

Also, I have one of these on my desk, full of water, constantly refilling: http://bbmg.com/admin/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/egeneral-medical-stainless-steel-water-bottle-red_12.jpg?w=300
  • Nemlet17
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman wrote: »
    Ah, my question was actually directed at Nemlet hehe, I think I got distacted for a couple of minutes before submitting the post. Just curious about his results as I did P90x and didn't have anywhere near that kind of result, so just trying to get an idea of how he achieved it (ie. starting at a much higher weight for example).

Hey Mongrelman, I started off at ten pound weights (yes very flimsy arms) and ended at 25-35 pounds (some days I just worked harder). I followed the nutrition diet like no other. No matter the situation I didn't pressure myself into eating food that was not healthy just because it was there or was the only thing. For example, when going to friends houses they would make Taco Bell runs all the time. I would pre-cook my protein servings (usually a hamburger or two) and bring it over in a container. So I had my food with me as they ate theirs.

I took it even one step further and did the treadmill everyday after p90x for either a half hour to an hour, depending on how I was feeling. With my second 90 days I'm taking it one step further going on a 1.5 mile jog right after the workout. If you do his though, work yourself at it as I'm sure you already know. I tried to do 3 miles the first day and completely killed myself. My goal by the end of this week or next is to have 2 miles under my belt, working my way up the scale.

Of course like stated everyone has different bodies and how they handle the food consumption and exercise. Just do what is best for you. The hardest thing I found is time. I'm not in the industry but I can't imagine working all day coming home, P90X, jog, then rest. Some days I won't be able to do it but I'll at least my best attempt to do it.

Good luck,
    Zack Dembinski
  • TheDarkKnight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheDarkKnight polycounter lvl 13
    Thinking about trying p90x, don't think I'll have to much problems doing the excersices, don't mind eating healthy but seeing as I still live at home and my mom doesn't like chicken etc. that might be a problem as dinner is mostly ready when I get home.

Will see what I can do about that
  • ikken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^ get a slowcooker
    that way you can load it in the morning, and have a bowl of hot chicken stew in the evening; doesn't take much space and it's pretty cheap too (at least here in Russia)
    I use it for lots of stuff like cooking rice, soup, some moderately healthy baking (baked stuff isn't healthy, but you can make it less evil adding less butter and stuff)
    it won't interfere with your mother's diet habits as well.
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    3 weeks in, 15 pounds down and ran 1 hour straight on the treadmill yesterday :D
    I'm just jogging every day for at least 45 minutes after work and doing some weights.

Maybe i could watch my evening meals some more but i just eat a portion of what has been prepared at home (unless if it's deep fried stuff or snacks/desserts, no touchy on that )

still 52 pound to go until i hit the goal but up until now it feel quite manageable
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    due to recent depression, i've managed to gain 4lbs in a week -_-
    fuck my life.
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    don't give up dude, even though you have other priorities right now just get back at it when you're ready for it!
    Also doing some sports can help you get you're mind of of things if you have the time for it.
  • maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah its not easy to commit to train hard everyday. For me its being 6 months non stop until now. But its been really tough. As I said before I used to do lots of sports all my life, but because of school/work I left myself carry by sedentary life shit for almost 2 years..(that includes...bad food, too much computer, not enough sleep, not enough sport).

For me rock bottom was when I tried go back rock climbing last year and I wasnt able like before, that frustrated me a lot, and said ok enough shit for me.

I may seem rough, and I know some people that know me and think I pretty drastic when I commit to something. But hell...there is only 1 life, do it for yourself. And spending it being fat in front of a screen, no thanks. If I would've listen the people around me, I'll probably be still smoking a lot, sleeping bad and being fat. Lot of people say, yeahh but its hard to keep on track.... for sure its hard if it was easy everybody will be fit. From personal experience Ill say the hardest is the first couple months. Then your body start changing and it goes along with your food choice, daily habits. If you see progress in you. I'll bet you wanna keep going forward, and your will to eat fat stuff will decrease unconsiously because you wont want to lose all your progress.

Its really cool see motivated people in this thread, and hope everybody keeps working hard!
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    due to recent depression, i've managed to gain 4lbs in a week -_-
    fuck my life.

Dont give up, just get back on the horse when you're ready. :thumbup:
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    Down 5 more pounds. Went and bought some new smaller clothes, which is pretty cool.

Just found out I am doing a panel at PAX Prime in two months. I will be seeing a lot of people I haven't in awhile, so I am going to try to dial up the intensity, and see if I can keep losing weight. Looking at my records, I think I should be able to lose another 15 pounds by then, so that is what I'm shooting for.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gawd the pain...

i told my trainer that my chest is hurting and he said:

Well you arent really working hard enough to cause yourself any pain, so you must me lactating...

asshole...
  • Nemlet17
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And here's my 90 day p90X result video. Enjoy!
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvmsvaurQqk[/ame]

Zack Dembinski
  • Cheez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good on ya, Nemlet ! Fantastic results !
    I'm about 5 weeks into my second full round of P90X.
    I'm close to getting down below 180 for the first time in 7 years :P

And apparently P90X2 is coming out this fall sometime.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 16
    wow Zack. awesome that you stuck through with it. i dont think ive stuck with p90x for more than 3 weeks at a time. the hour to hour and 1/2 working out by myself got to be a bit of a drag, but now my brother, a friend, and i go to the gym and do a workout based off of this guy's methods.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PskIUJZYQ8&feature=channel_video_title[/ame]

channel here
    http://www.youtube.com/user/JDCav24

he does a lot of the similar methods in p90x, but in a bit less of the time. so now an hour and 1/2 workout is split up between 3 people, so by myself i could probably get it done in about a half hour or so. its giving me good results so far. :D im down 5 lbs in 2 weeks from it
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bamp
    maze wrote: »
    yeah its not easy to commit to train hard everyday. For me its being 6 months non stop until now. But its been really tough. As I said before I used to do lots of sports all my life, but because of school/work I left myself carry by sedentary life shit for almost 2 years..(that includes...bad food, too much computer, not enough sleep, not enough sport).

For me rock bottom was when I tried go back rock climbing last year and I wasnt able like before, that frustrated me a lot, and said ok enough shit for me.

I may seem rough, and I know some people that know me and think I pretty drastic when I commit to something. But hell...there is only 1 life, do it for yourself. And spending it being fat in front of a screen, no thanks. If I would've listen the people around me, I'll probably be still smoking a lot, sleeping bad and being fat. Lot of people say, yeahh but its hard to keep on track.... for sure its hard if it was easy everybody will be fit. From personal experience Ill say the hardest is the first couple months. Then your body start changing and it goes along with your food choice, daily habits. If you see progress in you. I'll bet you wanna keep going forward, and your will to eat fat stuff will decrease unconsiously because you wont want to lose all your progress.

Its really cool see motivated people in this thread, and hope everybody keeps working hard!

Awesome, i hope i'll still be as motivated as you are in 5 months

Gj Guys

my progress so far:
    Week 5, 24 pounds (11kg) down. So a little over 1/3th of what i aim to lose(66pounds/30kg).
    Today i wanted to see if i'd be up for 1,5 hours of non-stop jogging on the treadmill and i did it :). Something i've never done before so it felt pretty great.

fuck_yeah_RE_Not_the_sexy_post_Id_promised_but-s400x317-164482.jpg
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    im at the gym pretty much every day now, loving it, and my body kinda craves it if i dont go.

as for food having a similar dilemma, have been eating loads of chicken, carbs only breakfast and lunch but vastly reduced amounts. beans are pretty good too.ive been given lots of advice some of it conflicting, my personal trainer says dont worry so much about what i eat, he seems to think drastic diets dont last long term and it better to just train harder and be easier on food intake.

i still have a pigout day though basically eat whatever i want, which is awesome but also kinda makes me feel a little guilty.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like to freeze chili. I have made beef jerky at home, which is a great snack and I find really filling. Peanut butter and celery is a great small meal. I personally get a lot of calories from milk in lattes. Pot roast freezes fine. I bought a bunch of ham steak and turkey breast, which is precooked, so I can prepare it quickly in a salad, or with eggs or something. I like having corn tortillas around, because they are not so high in carbs, and taste great with hot sauce, so you can make some kind of food just by warming them up in a pan with something.

I don't usually put off cravings for too long. If I really want to eat something, I will go eat a bit of it before it becomes a big deal. Besides that I try to eat plenty of fruits and veggies, and not sweat the details too much. I'm still losing weight, but not really dieting.
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    We finished our Biggest Loser competition here at Vigil. I won with 19.86% weight loss in 3 months. :)

- BoBo
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StephenVyas polycounter lvl 18
    Wow.. 20% is actually pretty incredible.

What did you win, or is it just recognition

(edit: wooah... and nice job to Ravenslayer!)
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Nice job Bobo!!! 20% is pretty damn good.

Wanna tell us a little about what you did? Life changes you made?

Nice to hear what worked for other people. What they overcame. What was hard or easy. :)
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thats bloody impressive.. well done.. whats your workout?
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Nice stuff Raven and Bobo.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    nice job guys!!
  • nordahl154
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nordahl154 polycounter lvl 9
    Keep up the good, healthy work bros! As for me I'm only like, 117 lbs and 5'9. Is there a weight gaining/training thread around here? hah :\
    I just don't eat much, and the fact that I've got an insane metabolic rate.
  • TheDarkKnight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheDarkKnight polycounter lvl 13
    AthLean X, anyone on here tried that?
    Really like the amount of time, it claims, you have to put into it.

Was hoping someonere here tried to give me like a quick review?
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nordahl154 wrote: »
    Keep up the good, healthy work bros! As for me I'm only like, 117 lbs and 5'9. Is there a weight gaining/training thread around here? hah :\
    Could probably just post it here.

If you own a blender I'd suggest making shakes oatmeal, milk, protein powder and peanut butter. It's cheap as hell and you can get 650+ calories a serving pretty easily.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I think this is a good thread for lifting/bulking info:
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84476

I read one guy who said he had to eat 4-5k calories a day to put on mass-- I like eating and all, but that would be really hard, especially for a protein heavy diet :(

I am down 5 more pounds to just under 290. Some really amazing stories in here. I still have a ways to go, so it's great to see what other people are doing. I am only losing about 2.4 pounds a week now -- I am eating around 1900 calories a day on average.

I have been doing some alternate workouts at home while the A/C at my gym was fixed, and I have been enjoying that. I think this week I am going to increase my workout frequency and see how that goes.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2 pounds a week is the commonly cited "safe limit" so if you're losing 2.4 a week, I'd say you're good. Don't over do it!
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Woo good job guys!

I lost about 10 lbs, but then sadly put it on again. I keep starting, then something happens and i stop. I cant seem to keep steady. ever.

I need to get a move on and shake my buns...

musicschoolgirlsbooty.gif
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    2 pounds a week is the commonly cited "safe limit" so if you're losing 2.4 a week, I'd say you're good. Don't over do it!

For Ninjas' size, 2.4 pounds a week is fine for fat loss - it's proportionally less of an impact than a 180 pounds guy losing at that rate. That said, I would still prefer he was getting some more calories, but if it works, etc etc :)
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    I just don't eat much

<mythbusters> Well, there's your problem </mythbusters>

If you don't eat, you don't gain. I've known a couple of skinny guys who would train themselves into the ground and not gain a pound because of their nutrition. Listening to some scrawny dude complain that his genetics just won't let him gain muscle when his entire dinner consists of a 6" sandwich from Subway is one of my more memorably frustrating coaching experiences.

Eat more often, with calorically dense choices. If you can swap whole milk in for 2%, do it. If you can top something with cheese, do it. If you can pound down a cup of cottage cheese immediately before bed, do it. It's better to add bulk cleanly, but if you can't manage a high volume of food, you've no other option but high calorie alternatives.

And dear sweet Jesus, how I wish I had that problem. 35 years old, bleh metabolism, stressful desk job = I see a pizza commercial and gain two pounds.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I read the Rippetoe book and his advice is if you want to gain muscle - EAT. Eat big.
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tnx guys.
    We finished our Biggest Loser competition here at Vigil. I won with 19.86% weight loss in 3 months. :)

- BoBo

Hero \o/

Ninjas: keep it up dude!

slipsius: Yeah i've had the same problem, I lost about 30 pounds last year and i gained them back over a couple of months. It's amazing how fast you can get of track and have an entire different mindset from when you're dedicated towards losing weight. Now i'm trying to change everything all together to have a more healthier and bearable lifestyle so i can still enjoy it :).

I think you need to just be very consistent with your workouts the first few weeks , at a certain point it becomes a habit and you just do it without thinking about it.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    I'm not in any plan to lose weight, but since I started riding a bike to work, I've shave two inches off my waistline. From 36" to the current 34". FWIW, also sticking to a not-so-strict paleo diet, but that's just to feel better from eating veggies.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 16
    AthLean X, anyone on here tried that?
    Really like the amount of time, it claims, you have to put into it.

Was hoping someonere here tried to give me like a quick review?

ive been doing a somewhat modified version of it. my brother has been using a mix of the workouts from athlean x and a mens health book called the body you want in the time you have (something vaguely along those lines), and we've been doing that for about 2 months. its great. as opposed to pumping out as much weight as you can, it focuses more on technique, making sure you get the exact positions right.. and hold them! lifting lower weights at a much slower rate really puts a strain on your muscles to really work. some sets lifting 15-20 lbs is a real struggle to keep up, because it requires holding them out for 5 seconds at a time (in some of the shoulder workouts), and by your 10th rep it really starts to kill. id definitely say its a good workout. ive been mixing that workout with about 15 minutes of running on days i lift weights, and i do about 30 minutes of swimming on days i dont lift.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

damn can we swap bodies for a month? theres no way you'll be skinny after im done wit ya..you might have crabs too but you wont be skinny.. lool
  • fr0gg1e
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fr0gg1e polycounter lvl 17

http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/treatments/healthy_living/your_weight/medical_myths.shtml
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im down 3 (6.6 lbs) kg after 3 weeks
    Start weight was 107kg
    current 104kg

5 Day workout monday - friday I get weekends off

3days resistance/weight (1 hour)
    whole body no particular focus but the squats and kettle bells are a killer

2 days cardio (1hr 15 mins)
    treadmill / rowing machine

I feels good
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome Roflness. I am sure the rate of weight loss will increase once more muscle builds.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Holy shit Nemlet, I just saw your video!! Freakin badass!!