Home Contests & Challenges Archives Low Poly Challenge

LPC vol2 #2 - action film - heros & baddies

Replies

• genericnamedave
    Wow that is quite the improvement! He registers a lot nicer. As for the texture he is a nice 'painterly' interpretation (like the new 3D Clone Wars show) as is! He looks video game ready to me.

If you are trying for a photo-real look you may have to resort to splicing together a bunch of photos, and fortunately you can rely on the actor not just the character for that. His default expression right now is ideal for rigging, but if you can capture that 'sleepy-eyed' menace he used in the film, you'd have a home run!

He looks great, can't wait to see him completed, possibly holding a double barrel shotgun!
  • j4polaris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    j4polaris polycounter lvl 18
    Here's what I got goin' on so far for Kanbei from Seven Samurai. Current tri count is 678.

frontview01.jpg

rearview01.jpg

frontwire01.jpg

textureflat.jpg
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    j4polaris wrote: »
    Here's what I got goin' on so far for Kanbei from Seven Samurai.

would be cool to do the whole thing in black and white!
  • j4polaris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah! That's what I was thinking. :)
  • dolemite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mad%20Max.jpg

Is it too late for me to claim mad max mas as my action hero to model?

That's I-35 Kansas behind him right?
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    I was waiting for a mad max, gonna make the dog too?
  • dolemite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmmm... Might do. I guess we'll see :)
  • okno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blocked in the body and painted a really rough base for it. Can't wait to do the creases and details etc. I can't believe I've only used 336 tris so far! I'll have to put more in the head later.

lpc2_4.jpg
  • Mtg_kirin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a bit more on will smith, suggestions? especially looking for help on low poly hands. will spend the rest of my tris on the head/fixing hands, adding a little more detail to areas.

Untitled-1-113.jpg

also if we have left over tris on the main char can we use those + 100 tris assigned to making a weapon? cause i was trying to make his rifle, but was having trouble with 100 tris. Will be trying again, but was just wondering
  • ericamilhomem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gimli looks great!
    I also love DemonPrincess' model, the anatomy and topology are amazing! Very inspiring!

Finally an update on mine...
    Any advise to improve her proportions (or anything else) is welcome.

progresso_06.jpg

Rigging is a pain!
  • Rorkimaru
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rorkimaru polycounter lvl 10
    Eric it's great! the second pose reminds me of Lara Croft (back when the games were good and the character wasn't overdone) Got a lot of strength and confidence.
  • Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wendy de Boer interpolator
    ericamilhomem: The proportions look great to me honestly! Really nice feminine flow to both the mesh and the posing. :thumbup:

If I were to change anything, I would add some extra dark shading under the hair and along the hair parting, and possibly pick out a few extra bright highlights in the hair as well. :)
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Dibs on Jason Statham.. still figuring out which outfit though.. but probably something from Crank 1/2
  • genericnamedave
    Snader wrote: »
    Dibs on Jason Statham.. still figuring out which outfit though.. but probably something from Crank 1/2

Haha I thought about modeling Statham as well. I was just gonna brag that he was a 2 for 1: Crank and Transporter dude.

I am surprised there have been no superheros so far. Or is that outside the 'action' genre?
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Really nice choice dolemite! Can't believe I forgot about MadMax.

scc.jpg

Doing this on and off while I work on my comic con entry, glad to see a lowpoly comp :).

Edit really nice work erica!
  • Rorkimaru
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    $!nz wrote: »

scc.jpg

Doing this on and off while I work on my comic con entry, glad to see a lowpoly comp :).

Great choice! The upper torso looks a bit big though
  • melkior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    melkior polycounter lvl 18
    first blood john rambo
    RA-rambo-theman1.jpg
  • Rorkimaru
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    melkior wrote: »
    first blood john rambo
    RA-rambo-theman1.jpg

Please tell me you've read First Blood and you're not just going on the film! The book is epic.
  • melkior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ha .. no I had no idea there was a book! Now I've got to find it. I'm a huge book nerd .. wow thanks for the tip. ... and unfortunately yes going totally off the movie for the character design doh!
  • melkior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Joseph Pomeisl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Pomeisl polycounter lvl 14
    ericamilhomem: really nice! the pose on the bottom right is perfect.
  • Convoy_Avenger
    ericamilhomem: Nicely done. I'm going to have to agree with everyone else, the second pose looks great.

Here's some destructible props, surprised no one else has done any yet.

ActionHero_Env_WiP01.png
    ActionHero_Env_WiP02.png
    ActionHero_Env_WiP03.png

Still working on the "level" and generic enemy.
  • melkior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok finished the base mesh, need to tweak him for appearance and optimize a bit. not sure I like the hands at all at this point.

He definitely feels off I will have to tweak him a nice bit before he looks right I can tell. But i wanted to share my work as I go along. Comments are fine .. maybe someone can help me find where to tweak him - you know how it gets when you stare at something too long you lose perspective.

rambo-shot2.jpg
  • j4polaris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ericamilhomem : She looks great! You really nailed her likeness.

@Mtg_kirin : I tried to do mitts for hands, but I found I needed a lot of geometry for it. I ended up going with fists, and was able to add a lot more detail elsewhere. It's really up to you though.

@melkior : You might be able to mess with his proportions a bit to make him a little more muscular. Right now his torso looks a little boxy. It could be worth tweaking those verts to round him out a bit and give his torso a bit more of a gradual curve. Hope it helps!
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    mitts make the most sense in the genre.
  • Mtg_kirin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this is my 2nd go at texturing him. also added a gun. texture is still wip
    j-1.jpg

gun is exactly 100 tris and my char is 564
  • melkior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mtg_kirin: I like what your doing with will smith there, but change the background to grey so we can make out whats going on with the jacket easier.

update from me: his head was too big, and his feet needed some minor tweaks. I was over limit so I took his hands to mitts and now I'm way under budget, so I've started adding some details to his face / hair area. I also started the skin as it helps me figure out those subtle details about what seems wrong with him some times.

rambo-shot3.jpg
  • achmedthesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    melk -can we have some wiresz? , i swear you could emphasize the silhouette of rambo a bit more, even stylize it a bit when you think it'll be in a side scroller fighting game.....

from recollection, spacey and japhir's LP stuff were effective in using tris to do this i think...

and a minor crit, make the hair longer (moar opacity planes ?) he kinda has Ringo hair @ the momnt.
  • JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnySix polycounter lvl 16
    Man, I've slacked this week, I'd planned to make a Delorean too , better get cracking to make the deadline. :p

Not sure about the jeans, shoes or bodywarmer.

McFly_04_by_JohnnySix.jpg
  • JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnySix polycounter lvl 16
    Started on background - trying to make the car under 500 tris (Currently 514 with wheels, and I still need to model the big vents at the back. )

Delorean_01_by_JohnnySix.jpg

McFly is 672 tri currently.
  • genericnamedave
    $!nz wrote: »

scc.jpg

The upper torso does seem pretty big, and her head looks masculine-- reminds me of a character from Small Soldiers.

I hope this helps with the modeling:

SarahConnor.jpg
  • GugloPWN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnySix: I've seen people save poly's by replacing modeled wheels with quads and an alpha to make it a circle. Replacing all 4 wheels will give you the poly's you need for the misc doodads on the car.
  • Rorkimaru
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's an update on my Mrs Smith. She's spinning around in the Blender Game Engine.

I've riged her, which was a pain thanks to the dress, and given her a quick pose. I have to try and find some time to give here a background scene and a few props.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMBfVe7yVLI
  • Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The upper torso does seem pretty big, and her head looks masculine-- reminds me of a character from Small Soldiers.

I hope this helps with the modeling:

SarahConnor.jpg

I agree with genericnamedave's comments on proportions here. In addition to that, I think you made the hands crazy detailed, leaving you with far too few polygons on the body. Get some curves in there! :poly142:
  • Rorkimaru
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Made an NPC for Jane to fight. He is still in the early stages at the moment but I got to where I am by quickly using a new method. Rather then using two orthos to model from I made a character in make human and then used him as a 3D reference as I box modeled around him. Then I baked a render of the make human mesh onto the low poly one I made to get the beginings of a texture going.

(Starting off that way isn't against any rules is it? I did model each vertex myself so I don't think using a 3d reference as opposed to a 2d one should be against any rules)

Still needs a lot of work but here he is, weighing in at ~450 tris

11h7a84.jpg
  • JonConley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonConley polycounter lvl 8
    This is my first go at trying to model a low poly character after someone. (I normally just set out with a general idea).

John Constantine (a not so accurate representation at least):

constantine.png

constantine2.png

constantine3.png w288.png

The head seems a little wide (from the side view), and I just realized I'd probably have a really hard time animating him at the waist, shoulder and ankles.
  • genericnamedave
    JonConley wrote: »
    The head seems a little wide (from the side view), and I just realized I'd probably have a really hard time animating him at the waist, shoulder and ankles.

Your character seems to have several proportion 'problem areas'. The shoulder line is bowed and looks hunchback-ish, and his head is a bit big (making him only 5.5 heads tall-- should be about 7 heads tall for a man. I highly recommend you borrow Rokimaru's images for his NPC in the previous post as reference. It has excellent geometry flow and proportion.
  • melkior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    melk -can we have some wiresz? , i swear you could emphasize the silhouette of rambo a bit more, even stylize it a bit when you think it'll be in a side scroller fighting game.....

from recollection, spacey and japhir's LP stuff were effective in using tris to do this i think...

and a minor crit, make the hair longer (moar opacity planes ?) he kinda has Ringo hair @ the momnt.

Achmed -- thanks for the tips. I had a busy weekend so didn't get to work on him much but I touched him up a little bit today. I was over budget so some areas were under detailed, and then I clipped out his over-expensive hands and redid them with mitts -- now I have polys to spare.

So heres an updated with some wires. I have some room to improve now for poly count. I'm not sure where I want to spend it though, any suggestions?

melkior

rambo-shot4.jpg
  • achmedthesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    melk - i did a qk paintover and had a some suggestions:
    paintover.jpg

if you had some poly's to spare, try and make his hair assymetrical,
    or atleast have some non-symmetrical hair planes(alpha's) from his fringe.
    I've widened his head width-ways
    and you could put some stronger shadowingcast by limbs or clothing,
    under the arms/arpits, under the jacket on the jeans etc...

oh an you could do his bedroll for accessories?
  • melkior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cool thanks, all good suggestions - and yes you bet the bedroll will be an accessory :) he wouldnt look the drifter without it
  • Slaught
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slaught polycounter lvl 18
    Japhir wrote: »
    Yo, here's my update:
    indianajoneswip01.jpg
    has been quite a while, so criticise me untill I start crying :).
    ps: can't get the reference images to be more clear in the viewport, probably because somehow hardware rendering doesn't work anymore and I'm running in software mode.

So I thought about joining this contest, but appereantly I already posted a wip.
    Just kidding...cool stuff Japhir. :D!!

Really nice work everyone!
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    haha thanks for the compliment ;).
    ok ok i'll work on him some more. I still didn't fix the weird shading but I'll just restart on the torso.
  • Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Japhir: I've had a similar problem recently where I was getting insane z-fighting on parts that should really be far away enough from each other. What fixed it for me was simply resetting the XForms. Maybe that'll work for you as well. :)

EDIT: Just reread your old post and saw you already tried that. Oh well, it was worth a shot. XD

Another possibility is that your model is tiny compared to the unit settings (like maybe he is one inch tall). You could try and make it 10 times bigger, and see if you still have the z-fighting on the overlapping parts.
  • melkior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    also RE: weird lighting problems. Try welding verts together .. select all and weld. see what happens :)
  • Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    melkior wrote: »
    also RE: weird lighting problems. Try welding verts together .. select all and weld. see what happens :)

Also, if you tried that and there's still a hard line, just try clicking on one of offending verts and move it. If it breaks apart, it means there could be some degenerate polies along the edge of the arm hole, which could be the reason it doesn't want to weld.
  • genericnamedave
    Also, if you tried that and there's still a hard line, just try clicking on one of offending verts and move it. If it breaks apart, it means there could be some degenerate polies along the edge of the arm hole, which could be the reason it doesn't want to weld.

Add to DemonPrincess' advice, in that the direction of the normals might not be conforming. Check all the normals, and you might have to reverse/conform them. It's happened to me a few times-- and there is a noticeable lighting contrast,
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok so I restarted some part and it happened again! only in this scene!
    by now the z-fighting stopped becouse I was finally able to set it to direct3d again, but still it appears like there are smoothing groups that are not there.
    hard edges out of the blue!
    what i tried so far:
    -reset xform
    -weld verts (there was only one vertex there so didn't work)
    -apply one smoothing group (which was already there ;))

so the next thing I'm gonna try is export the head to an obj, reimport it in a new scene and start from scratch there. meh. But honestly I don't really feel like it anymore ;)
    we'll see how it goes.
    thanks for the feedback!
  • SomberResplendence
  • genericnamedave
    FTW.....

Interesting choice. I figured Blade would be a strong candidate for this contest. I'd have to say he looks perfect for a Final Fight/Streets of Rage character!

"Always bet on black." -Wesley Snipes

"All I know is never bet on the white guy" Boxing according to Frank Drebin (Leslie Nielsen, Naked Gun 2 1/2)
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    scuse me? blade? haahah

(or do you mean blade could also be a cool choice for this contest?)
This discussion has been closed.