Home General Discussion

Intuos 4

Replies

• hyrumark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hyrumark polycounter lvl 12
    Vig wrote: »
    Being left handed and having to deal with the left touch strip in a high traffic area has always been annoying, even with all of its functions disabled. I hope it doesn't look or feel gimped up when it gets flipped around.

Yeah...so does anyone know where the USB cable exits the tablet? It better be adjustable, because if I flip it around and the cable is sticking out from the bottom edge I'll murder someone at Wacom. And I don't see any info on Wacom's site.

Also, are those cool illuminated displays with words like "options" upside down when the tablet is flipped? I couldn't handle that gimpiness either - and I wouldn't put it past Wacom to screw over lefties like that. Look at their smallest Intuos 3 tablet - they totally ignore that there are left handed people that would want to use it.
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    You can flip everything (including removing and plugging in on the other side the USB cable) on the tablet so you can switch it from righty to lefty...
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    I was wondering about that as well. Good to know.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To whoever asked about the upside down logo for lefties, if you look closely it seems like EVERYONE gets an upsidedown logo! YAY

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21121470@N06/3370627215/sizes/l/
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    just ordered mine >_>

I'll be able to put my good old intuos 1 to rest after 7 years of loyalty...
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    To whoever asked about the upside down logo for lefties, if you look closely it seems like EVERYONE gets an upsidedown logo! YAY

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21121470@N06/3370627215/sizes/l/
    GASP! 100% ambidextrous i see. :o

Anyway. Since I think the price difference was a major kick in the balls I talked to an american relative and well boys and girls. Im gonna get me some lovely intuos 4 goodness. I think it´s about time i bought one.

Not to sure about the large or medium size though. How big is... large. I know the specs and all but i mean. Is it a pain to work with? Is it suitable for Zbrush and the like or will you have to wave your arm around like a madman?

Decisions decisions. I want to get something that will last until im a superawesome artist that deserves to use a cintiq..... soooo...
  • SideEffect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SideEffect polycounter lvl 19
    are they all widescreen aspect ratio? like 16:10 or whatever? I've got an Intuos 3 6x8 with the 4:3 aspect ratio and its driving me nuts.
  • funshark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    funshark polycounter lvl 16
    SideEffect > it seems to be

Well! According to the reviews around, there will be also a sort of "lazy mouse" option.
    Plus a customizable pop-up circle menu. Very interesting.
  • funshark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lampoly > yeah! :) But the downside is that these things could have been here a while ago ( 'cause it's only driver dependent ) :'(
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
    my intuos 1 has served me well for 10 years... and it's hardly been touched, sadly. I'm probably going to be forced into upgrading it to a widescreen version intuos4 simply because the 4:3 just isn't practical on new monitors... the scaling is driving me nuts, and if I use multi monitor, I can't set it to switch monitors like an intuos3.

Which means I'll need an intuos 4 or a cintiq... or both @_@

the 12" cintiq might be in order sooner or later for me... especially since the medium i4 will probably be aroun 500 bucks in canada.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Could someone explain how the 4:3 tablets handle bad on 16:9/10 monitors? I'm considering upgrading my tiny a6 graphire3 and I do eventually plan on replacing my 4:3 monitor as well so the last thing i'd want is to have the tablet handle bad on it.

Thing is, id rather not have to spend upwards of £100 to get the same size tablet but the widescreen equivalent.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    i guess they only handle bad if you insist on using the whole tablet area. you can however restrict it in the control panel to whatever size/aspect you prefer and i think you can also create multiple independant active areas tho never saw the need to do this myself.

using an intuos1 A4 with two monitors and correct aspect here. same with intuos2 A4 at home...
  • JackyBoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JackyBoy polycounter lvl 10
    I looked at the sizes too and it is neither 4:3 or 16:10 it is actually 3:2 so in between the two! Can't wait to order mine!
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
    yeah, you would do what thomasp is saying, you would only use a portion of your tablet area... if you tried to use the whole thing, one axis would be squished so you'd move 1 inch one way and it would be fine ,but if you move 1 inch another way you move halfway across the screen heh.
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I gotta chime in here to say I use my tablet across both monitors, left one is 4:3, right one is 16:9, and the tablet is 4:3. I have never had a problem with the shape of the tablet, and to be honest I've never even though of it till I read this thread.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Yeah the little text display thing does flip with the tablet and there are multiple possible slots for the USB cable. The ring and button panel cannot be taken out tho.
  • SideEffect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SideEffect polycounter lvl 19
    glib wrote: »
    I gotta chime in here to say I use my tablet across both monitors, left one is 4:3, right one is 16:9, and the tablet is 4:3. I have never had a problem with the shape of the tablet, and to be honest I've never even though of it till I read this thread.

Yea its not that big a deal if you use the force resolution option but I'm just so weird about having that little portion on the bottom cut off and not being able to use it haha.
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    just got mine :D

the radial menu and every side button can be set up per application, I'm just starting playing with the shortcuts but that's quite awesome, I'm coming from an intuos1 so that's quite a bit of an upgrade but I really love the feel of the pen, haven't tried other nibs yet, but I will for sure !!
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    how does the added pressure sensitivity feel? any different from past intuos models?
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    Where are you guys finding them? Am I blind? I can't seem to find them even listed, let alone in stock, anywhere.
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    directly on the wacom store
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pffft. . . fine, if you want to make it EASY. . .
  • Unleashed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unleashed polycounter lvl 19
    got mine from amazon, boy going from a smallest intuos2 to the large is a jump! the surface feels so much better than both the intuos2 and 3(which I have at work), feels alot more like a pencil does. theres also a nib that feels like a marker, even makes the squeaky noise :)

theres a small problem with zbrush not working with the pressure(just does 100% pressure in zb), hoping its just a conflict between the old tablet though
    edit - yeah uninstalling the old tablet and reinstalling the new fixed it :D
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    I really want to try it but I can't justify spending that money on just this new circle thingy and rearranging the same 8 customizable buttons of intuos 3 to 1 side. The circle thingy will have to be really amazing for me to actually buy this :(
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    Can anyone confirm the improvements on the pressure sensitivity? Jumping from the graphire's 512 pressure levels to the intuos made a whole lotta difference, especially for someone who likes to do light strokes.
  • funshark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yozora > It's not "just this new circle thingy" actually.. There is customizable pop-up menu, enhanced pressure and sort of "lazy mouse" ( thou I'm not sure yet how it reacts )
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    what can you put on the popup menu? keyboard shortcuts? how many segments does it have? can you extend several functions from one popup segment?

wanna know!
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    funshark wrote: »
    yozora > It's not "just this new circle thingy" actually.. There is customizable pop-up menu, enhanced pressure and sort of "lazy mouse" ( thou I'm not sure yet how it reacts )

Theres a customizable popup with intuos 3 too... Enhanced pressure doesnt sound that important, although I guess its something you got to experience to know just how good it is.

Lazy mouse in photoshop might be cool though!
  • cep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cep polycounter lvl 18
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    I used to use the wacom mouse, about 8 years ago when i had my 4x5 intous 2. At the time it was better than any of the track-ball mice i had. HEY GUYS, REMEMBER TRACK-BALL MICE?

Edit: Merged threads etc

I still use a trackball mouse, don't be hatin
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I thinking about getting one soon but can't decide between the medium and large. Anyone have any suggestions?
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    cep wrote: »
    I still use a trackball mouse, don't be hatin

Word.

Trackball for the win. All you micefags can wave your arms all over your desk like a jackass while I precisely move the cursor with my thumb.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm i think they meant ball mice, not trackballs haha
    8FT, whats the model of yours? always been curious bout them.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    just tried flipping the tablet and it's mapping around on an intuos3 and that is already supported in the driver. on my laptop's A6 tablet, it would even make sense to do that so that me lefty could finally make use of the buttons. :)
    also, the popup menu config screen shows up as an available option even for intuos1, interesting. couldn't be bothered to configure it tho. so what's new about series 4, again? ;)
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    someone give us the lowdown on this menu buisness :P
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    didn't get a chance to play with it at GDC, but here's a shot:

radialmenu.png
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    Still no way to order the tablet without the "optional" wacom mouse? This is beginning to bug me as I need a tablet, however I cannot justify spending almost $360 to get a package that includes something I'm never going to use, and if not included in a future package release from Wacom may save me a significant amount of money...
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    any idea how customisable those segments are? looks pretty neat. is it fast?

edit: ok so keyboard shortcuts are go.. can you change it for different settings in each program?

wonder if we'll see any copycat apps
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you're asking like I have one. It's on it's way, but until then, that's all the info I've got.
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    pior wrote: »
    hmm i think they meant ball mice, not trackballs haha
    8FT, whats the model of yours? always been curious bout them.

Microsoft Trackball Optical 1.0. It has 4 buttons that are programmable (I have them mapped, click, double click, right click, escape). It has a learning curve and most people who see it alway say, "I can't use that", but it allows me to use it anywhere on any surface.

Has anyone who owns the new Intuos owned a intuos3? They're saying on the wacom site that the new one is twice as sensitive; I'm wondering if anyone can confirm this.

I never use my intuos mouse, either, Illusions.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    tumerboy: sorry its more of an open question, to the few people in the thread who've recieved theirs or if anyone's had a play with the settings
  • Pseudo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pseudo polycounter lvl 18
    rooster wrote: »
    any idea how customisable those segments are? looks pretty neat. is it fast?

edit: ok so keyboard shortcuts are go.. can you change it for different settings in each program?

wonder if we'll see any copycat apps

I got to spend a little time with it at GDC.

The segments are completely customizable. You click on a quadrant and choose what it does, they have a few presets (switch between programs, copy, paste, etc) and the "keyboard shortcut" that does whatever you want it to do. You can edit the names of each, and they can be app specific. You can also set any segment to open up another submenu. I don't know if there is a hard limit on how deep you can go, but it allowed me to do 2-3.

Its fast to pop up, but its not as quick as Maya's marking menus because you have to click down to select (in Maya you click to bring up the menu and then on mouse_up it selects the option you are hovering over, so maya's menus feels a bit faster to work with).
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    Rooster : what pseudo said, and it's app specific, same with every button and the 4 touchring functions :D
  • fast1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks like its a pretty cool thing to own, now if only i got the spare cash...clear.gif
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    think I'll be getting one..

I've got a fairly large intuos 2 but I've been getting the feeling the pressure sensitivity is a little whacked, maybe due to the (high speed albeit) serial to usb I'm using. I might go for a smaller option, but it seems like an upgrade all the same
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    8FtSpider wrote: »
    Microsoft Trackball Optical 1.0. It has 4 buttons that are programmable (I have them mapped, click, double click, right click, escape). It has a learning curve and most people who see it alway say, "I can't use that", but it allows me to use it anywhere on any surface.

Has anyone who owns the new Intuos owned a intuos3? They're saying on the wacom site that the new one is twice as sensitive; I'm wondering if anyone can confirm this.

I never use my intuos mouse, either, Illusions.

haha yeah ball mice, whatever, same shit!
  • Unleashed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unleashed polycounter lvl 19
    the radial menu can have about 4 layers deep into each part(tested last night).

also ive noticed something rather shocking: the nib seems noticeably worn already! Ill get a camera tonight but ive only been using it this weekend and if it gets worn so quickly ill be buying replacement nibs in no time. I hope it is paranoia and it was already slanted but I dont know :S
    for the record my intuos2 got me through college without any noticeable wear, and my intuos3 at work has no wear for about 4 months
  • silversteez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    does anyone have any more info on this lazy mouse-ish feature? sounds intriguing, but i scanned through the user manual (found a pdf link online) and didn't see any such feature mentioned and haven't heard anyone describe it in any of the reviews i've read...
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck polycounter lvl 13
    just ordered mine today, can't wait!
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys just so you know - the ring menu thing is not an Intuos4 feature but just an Intuos driver thing. It appeared recently on my Wacom settings under 'Functions' where the touch strip and expresskeys are. :P

It works quite well once set to one of the stylus buttons. (I use the bottom rocker near the pen, since middle mouse is rarely if ever used in Photohop. Might set it up to something else for 3D apps...)

I just wish it would act in a 'gesture' manner (press the ring activator, then just flick in the direction of the desired quadrant and release the activator button to validate) as opposed to button down, button release, then go for the desired quadrant and click to validate.

Same for the submenu acess, I wish they would unfold by just having the cursor on them instead of having to click down.

It's almost perfect! But not quite. What is the best way to submit suggestions for improvements regarding the Wacom tablet driver ? Anyone has some insiders contact? If this was improved (or if a behaviour choice was given) it would be fantastic.

Also an option to set the pie as an horizontal line or set of lines (Maya Hotbox style...) and the option to have the pie always on screen in a corner would rock (Yeeeeah!)
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior wrote: »
    Hey guys just so you know - the ring menu thing is not an Intuos4 feature but just an Intuos driver thing. It appeared recently on my Wacom settings under 'Functions' where the touch strip and expresskeys are. :P

Whats your driver version? Mines 6.1.0-6 which is the latest on the wacom site; http://www.wacom.com/productsupport/download.cfm?id=190&product=PTZ

I cant find any ring menu feature in mine :o The only functions in my touch strip/expresskeys and advanced options are these;

wacom.jpg

The only thing close is the pop up menu but thats been there from the start, and its not radial ;o And it has a 500ms delay when using it, for example if you add the hotkey "B" and "E" to the pop up menu in photoshop, you have to wait for it to work before you do anything else.... otherwise it does not recognize you did the action and completely defeats the purpose of having the hotkey there for speed.