Home General Discussion

Intuos 4

Replies

• funshark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    funshark polycounter lvl 16
    Yozora > Pior has fallen into a trap! :D
    The ring menu seems to be Cintiq enabled and intuos4 enabled only ( and since Pior has a Cintiq... )

Marketing...
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aaah yes, artificially gimping your drivers for lower-cost models. Wacom's been doing it for a while, and it's annoying.
    The graphire drivers used to have all these options, and now they're a grey window with one big button. It's labelled 'spend more money, fucker'.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    Alright, mine showed up today. Couple of interesting notes.

Since I'm here at work and have my work's Intuos 3 handy, I have both sylii handy too. So the new one is actually about 1/2" shorter than the 3. The business ends are identical though in size/shape. The back end of the body of the new one is kind of rubberized though, compared to the smooth plastic of the 3.

Interestingly, 3's pen does not work with 4 at all. And vice versa.

4 definitely has more of a texture to the work surface than 3 does. (maybe that's just because I've worn down my 3 over it's life?)

I spent about 15 minutes messing around in photoshop with different nibs. And yes, they wear down incredibly fast!

I've never seen ANY wear on my Intuos 3 nib here at work, but after only a few minutes, the grey nibs (the marker like ones, and the spring loaded one) had a noticable flat spot

Even the hard black one has a little flat spot after very limited use. maybe this is all a plan to get us to buy replacement nibs? Dunno.

Luckily, while the pens aren't interchangeable between pads, teh nibs are. And I still have all my extra nibs left over from 3, so I'm just going to use one of those. . . though maybe it'll wear down the surface faster?

Haven't had time to look into the menu/button setups yet. I'll mess with it more when I get home tonight.

ETA:

CRAPPY IPHONE PICTURE FTW!
    3405588846_450161f183_o.jpg
    (notice the white nib)

Couple other things. I'm sure it's like giving me a gold brick and me complaining that it's too heavy. But Now that Wacom put 2 USB ports on the pad, so you can move the cord position for lefties, what I REALLY wish the'd done, is put one on each corner of both sides! So I could have it corded to the left or right, top or bottom. I know, I'm a whiner.

Lastly, I forgot to mention that while the 4 is a LITTLE lighter than 3, it's barely noticeable (by me anyway).
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the mini-review. Sounds like I won't be leaving my 3 anytime soon.
  • Drywall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm really wanting this, for the left handed support on the buttons. That's just hotness; the bitter lefty in me is glad to see some sort of support for lefthandedness in anything, let alone a tool I use every day.
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck polycounter lvl 13
    man these white 'marker type' tips do wear down fast. I've almost worn down one already and i've only used it for like 4 hours or so.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    gonna get me the medium one asap. Sounds great

How long is the shipped usb cable? The intuos 3 a5wide has a super long cable and I actually use it.
  • HellMark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HellMark polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for the writeup Nick.
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck polycounter lvl 13
    hawken:
    I got the medium and the cord is actually longer than my intuos 3. Its about 8 feet long
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    ya, the cord is pretty long, and those tips wear down like crazy. Good thing I like the feel of the regular tip anyway. . .

And if you need any more Left Handed stuff, go see this guy
    leftorium.jpg
  • aktion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have the large intuos 4. Is anyone else getting a delay when trying to pan around using the alt-click and drag in Maya? I have the latest driver 611-3. Seems like a bug...
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    Are you using vista aktion? The delay occurs because vista has a bunch of bogus pen input stuff you need to disable, if you go to control panel > pen input devices > under both pointer options and under flicks, just disable everything, it all blows and slows down things in maya.
  • hyrumark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hyrumark polycounter lvl 12
    I absolutely LOVE this new Intuos.

Ten minutes after using it I didn't want to go back to the Intuos 3. Yes I'm a lefty, but that scroll wheel combined with the new button layout makes working with it feel so much more natural. And one other thing, the buttons on this new Intuos have a much softer tactile press than the Intuos 3, which had really loud and annoying "clicky" buttons.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    I was thinking about getting one. I'm just torn between Medium or Large. I use the Wacom as a mouse pad basically and just use their 4d mouse. Is the Large size too...well large?