Home General Discussion

lowpolyarts.com rips off 3d artwork

Replies

• demoncage
    Offline / Send Message
    demoncage polycounter lvl 18
    oh, perna, your maturity level is getting me so hot and bothered. I wish you'd come over here and blow one of your trademark loads all over my chest with that big meaty cock. And while you're at it, teach me the ways of the womanizer, oh how can I be an "asshole" like you? do tell, do TELL. And I want you to talk dirty to me, tell me I'm no good, let me know that my career prospects hang in the balance 'cause you're oh so big and powerful and you know how to work that big DICK. Oh yeah, oh yeah, OH YEAH!!!!
  • Andvari
    Offline / Send Message
    Andvari polycounter lvl 18
  • Thriller Theater
    I sure hope the photographers aren't as blood thirsty with this issue!
    I'm sure there are lot's of us out there who use images.google.com for
    texture material, atleast for some layers.
    (Getting paranoid!) :poly122::poly124:
  • Tumerboy
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 16
    Thumbs up for admitting your mistake Andvari! It's perfectly fine to admire someone's work, and try to copy it yourself for your own learning, but just learn what you can, and move on to your own work.
  • pliang
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    It's good to see someone fess up and being more accountable, but not sure how HR from other studios would think.

Speaking of using Google sources, funny I was at a Dylan Cole presentation and he mentioned the same thing about "borrowing" online.
  • TheWinterLord
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    Oh another happy thread ending! :)
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I feel like I just watched an episode of scooby doo
  • Joao Sapiro
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    lol demoncage, glad to know your still the same unstable person .
  • Vailias
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Andvari: One more bit of advice; make a local copy of that flash game then delete the one you have still on your site. Its accessible through the index, but is branded with "test copy do not distribute".. so while you obviously have it thanks to working on it, having it accessible to the web could be called accidental distribution.

While we're being on the safe side here, might as well take it all the way.

PS: Don't mind per or demoncage... you get used to it after a while.
  • Josh_Singh
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    well I'm quite skilled too, I can do my own work, I was too lazy sometimes
    Andvari, That's the thing that really got me. I was looking at your work and I could see that you could do stuff, and really I thought the exact thing you said, that you were just being lazy.
    Anyways all I can say is It was very smart to fess up, and I am looking forward to seeing you post some original stuff up in Pimping and previews.
    Take Care.
  • Mark Dygert
    Josh_Singh wrote: »
    Andvari, That's the thing that really got me. I was looking at your work and I could see that you could do stuff, and really I thought the exact thing you said, that you were just being lazy.
    Anyways all I can say is It was very smart to fess up, and I am looking forward to seeing you post some original stuff up in Pimping and previews.
    Take Care.
    Agreed.

Andvari, I'm glad you owned up to it, and you're working to correct it and not just giving up. +2 points. But you're still down -10 points for being a thieving bastard. =P Get some original work up in P&P, rebuild that folio with the new awesome work and you'll probably be square =)

Good to get this out of the way now and learn from it, I guess.
  • Ghostscape
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    I sure hope the photographers aren't as blood thirsty with this issue!
    I'm sure there are lot's of us out there who use images.google.com for
    texture material, atleast for some layers.
    (Getting paranoid!) :poly122::poly124:

I don't see how this is any different that using part of bobo's texture edited into a texture, and the law tends to agree. I'm surprised your studio allows you to do that - any stock photo sites that we use in our assets here have to be approved by legal to make sure we can legally use them.

luckily there are plenty of sites that do have stuff to use thats legit.

Does anyone have a link to that one german website that exists entirely to ensnare people stealing their images?
  • dolemite
    Man, to think I worked at Walmart, Dunkin Donuts, and bussed tables at cracker barrel before landing a few paid art gigs... I must have had the wrong idea.....
  • sir-knight
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
    man this is almost as good as the thread on a calgary car club board about some kid stealing a car... and then the guys on the forum encountered him on the street and the whole community got in on it and did their own stakeout and investigation to get the car back.

you may all remember it as... "the claw"

http://www.wired.com/cars/coolwheels/news/2008/04/carheist

nice to see everyone is on their toes, I hate art theives, but at least this guy has owned up to it.
  • Mark Dygert
    Ghostscape wrote: »
    I don't see how this is any different that using part of bobo's texture edited into a texture, and the law tends to agree. I'm surprised your studio allows you to do that - any stock photo sites that we use in our assets here have to be approved by legal to make sure we can legally use them.

Does anyone have a link to that one german website that exists entirely to ensnare people stealing their images?
    Yea same here. It's always been a studio faux pas to use anything off the web that wasn't strictly OK'd. It was later cemented into policy after we had a meeting with our company lawyer. We also take a lot of pics ourselves and make sure source of the image is clear before we use them. It's pretty fun going on a material scavanger hunt. Cloudy overcast days are the best, and northwest is nothing but one cloudy day after another.

Using questionable images gives someone the right to use your company as a nice fat early retirement plan. Might as well hold a gun up to your paycheck and play Russian Roulette. The first chance some poor idiot smells money, he's not going to be flattered and sign a waiver, he's going to call a lawyer.

Legal sites are great and all, but really really over used. Considering the huge amount of ref to pillage in your daily lives, not to mention the average city, I don't know why more people don't shoot their own stuff. Spend a few hours snapping pics and get exactly what you want, or be super lazy and spend hours hacking at the same bullshit everyone else is using and possibly risk your job and your company's health...
  • sir-knight
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
    art theft is a scary thing, I know an illustrator that spends just as much time tracking down thieves of her art and her friends as she does painting, it's ridiculous because she's barely making enough to live on with a second job, and she has to stop asshats out there from stealing her work and what should be her money?
  • Thriller Theater

Well, my point wasn't really about my textures or habits. I have my own photo library (photos taken by me) and a good collection of public domain photo material. This was more of a sarcastic comment about this thread.

I'm not defending ripping, but if somebody would go looking for game industry textures with a looking glass, there would be hell of a lot of ripped photo material that would surface. The point being the double standard. For a lot of people ripping a small piece of photo is not a big deal, but a 40x40 piece of a recognizable texture is a blasphemy.

I atleast know lot of 3d artist who use images.google.com for more than reference, but just make sure they are not in a recognizable condition. And yes I'm guilty of having done this sometime too. It's a good question if this is concidered ripping or not.
  • Thriller Theater
    pliang wrote: »
    It's good to see someone fess up and being more accountable, but not sure how HR from other studios would think.

Speaking of using Google sources, funny I was at a Dylan Cole presentation and he mentioned the same thing about "borrowing" online.

What did he say about the issue?

For curiosity I actually would like to know, how these things legally go. To make a photo collage for an example, do you have to really have permissions of all the photographers for their work? Or is there a point when image is so different that it can be concidered original. I imagine the same would apply to textures.
  • Ghostscape
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    Well, my point wasn't really about my textures or habits. I have my own photo library (photos taken by me) and a good collection of public domain photo material. This was more of a sarcastic comment about this thread.

I'm not defending ripping, but if somebody would go looking for game industry textures with a looking glass, there would be hell of a lot of ripped photo material that would surface. The point being the double standard. For a lot of people ripping a small piece of photo is not a big deal, but a 40x40 piece of a recognizable texture is a blasphemy.

I atleast know lot of 3d artist who use images.google.com for more than reference, but just make sure they are not in a recognizable condition. And yes I'm guilty of having done this sometime too. It's a good question if this is concidered ripping or not.

I think most students start by doing this - I know I did. Before I worked I used google image search in personal work (although more frequently used mayang and cgtextures and stock exchange - I don't believe anything in my current portfolio uses stuff from google images). In general, for personal work, you're relatively safe because you have little to no commercial

From a legal standpoint, it opens you up to the same lawsuits that Andvari opens his clients up to - whether or not it would stand up in court as being an original work or a derivative work isn't really the issue in a commercial situation - if there is a law suit even happening, you've fucked up in the eyes of your employer or client.
  • demoncage
    Offline / Send Message
    demoncage polycounter lvl 18
    Johny wrote: »
    lol demoncage, glad to know your still the same unstable person .

"L-O-L" Johny, glad to see per still has your prostate in check. "L-O-L"

Anyway, STEAL STEAL STEAL. Everyone does it, even at an unconscious level. I think it's obvious when someone's art is derivative but still has integrity. If I lift some portion of the Mellenium Falcon to integrate into a sci-fi corridor wall, who cares, as long as it's part of a valid effort. This guy didn't pass that test...too noticeable, lazy, just enough work to change it for legal reasons. Then again, maybe the client didn't give shit either.
  • Thriller Theater
    I think most students start by doing this - I know I did. Before I worked I used google image search in personal work (although more frequently used mayang and cgtextures and stock exchange - I don't believe anything in my current portfolio uses stuff from google images). In general, for personal work, you're relatively safe because you have little to no commercial

From a legal standpoint, it opens you up to the same lawsuits that Andvari opens his clients up to - whether or not it would stand up in court as being an original work or a derivative work isn't really the issue in a commercial situation - if there is a law suit even happening, you've fucked up in the eyes of your employer or client.

Well Andvari ripper much more in the end than a photo layer or a piece of texture and I think it's good he was exposed. If he learned his lesson I'm willing to forget it. His work relations with his clients might get complicated because of this and I think they are the ones who really has the right be pissed off. I just hope he learned his lesson.

the law issue.
    Having a law suit exactly depends how is the law and what's the consensus of the way of applying it. Basicly you can sue anyone for anything, but nobody wants to do it just to lose the case, right?

I'm just curious where is the point what is illegal and what not, because I don't think the law is so simple in this sense as most of the people think.

Anyway, when you or your studio has a good collection of photos/textures there is usually hardly even any point of going texture hunting any further.
  • monkeyboy_garth
    Offline / Send Message
    monkeyboy_garth polycounter lvl 9
    Andvari wrote: »
    This thread made me realize how wrong I was :(

I'm really ashamed of my acts and will be out of the 3d scene for a while, until I improve my skills.

I deserve the hate of the artists community :/ hope I can fix my reputation someday.

Good on you, dude. You have balls the size of coconuts.
  • rooster
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    hey andvari, no need to leave the scene- as some have mentioned already, stick around, make some new stuff- you've got the right attitude, pump out some new work and it'll all be forgotten soon enough, probably quicker than if you did dissapear.

just chalk it up to experience and keep going, everyone makes mistakes :)
  • I_luv_Pixels
    Offline / Send Message
    I_luv_Pixels polycounter lvl 17
    man this guy has been destroyed......what a thread.
  • Dusty
    Last night I stole some lunch meat that wouldn't scan on the self checkout lane. Just want to come out and say it.
  • PeterK
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
    Per, I'm disappointed and hurt that you didn't insult me properly. I was hoping you'd go apeshit and threaten me with some form of insanity. I'm going to direct all my Internet mean mugging at EQ now!

NO MEEN MAWGS fawr J00!

* pinky in the air.
  • seforin
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    since he seems to have learn his lesson and seems to have turn a new leaf, might I suggest that this thread be deleted completely now?

polycount even though viewed by many artists is also scouted by recruiters and alot of lead artists and such. So As per and many others said it would be bad to burn his career completely over something such as this.

Good job on learning your lesson, some people usually turn tail , Glad to see you turn a new leaf and are starting fresh, I hope that same frame of mind stays with you the rest of your life and for your next job.

(But if I ever were to find you to steal my work I would headbutt you :P )
  • SHEPEIRO
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    shame - ive always had a soft spot for the rebel the outsider the banished from civilised 3d society by pitchfork carrying polycounter ;-P
  • Microneezia
    Offline / Send Message
    Microneezia polycounter lvl 10
    im not sure about deleting it, that might give the wrong impression, plus its good for them to also see that he admitted he was wrong, thats stronger information that the crime to start.

also Seforin why would he steal your art when he can just give you some food for it? :D!!

'ere's a tuna melt, gimmie dat fire train

' hey,... wait-gimmie haf my sammich back!

haha j/k.
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    seforin wrote: »
    since he seems to have learn his lesson and seems to have turn a new leaf, might I suggest that this thread be deleted completely now?

Hell naw! Would you want this guy sitting beside you in a studio? We need this guys real name, not to cut him some slack. Artists who do their own work don't get cut slack, but this guy gets a pat on the back for saying he was weally weally sowwy? Come on. I was at Animex there last week and Tom Martineck of ILM was telling the crowd that when they spot a reel with pilfered work, they send a notice out to every big studio out there black-balling the sucka who was stupid enough.

What did you do when clients would ask for changes?

LOL! KP you are one funny bastard.

dolemite wrote: »
    Man, to think I worked at Walmart, Dunkin Donuts, and bussed tables at cracker barrel before landing a few paid art gigs... I must have had the wrong idea.....

Yup exactly. He got credits on his C.V. for free; didn't bust his ass to get game credits or the $$$ which he effectively stole.

Thief. Here's a link to some awesum art that you can steal! It's like totally up for grabs! You should enter dominance war IV with it!

http://www.gameartisans.org/forums/showthread.php?t=6951

Good luck!
  • konstruct
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    wow this thread is pretty nuts. faith in humanity +1
  • seforin
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    im not sure about deleting it, that might give the wrong impression, plus its good for them to also see that he admitted he was wrong, thats stronger information that the crime to start.

also Seforin why would he steal your art when he can just give you some food for it? :D!!

'ere's a tuna melt, gimmie dat fire train

' hey,... wait-gimmie haf my sammich back!

haha j/k.

headbutt*
  • Joseph Silverman
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    You're right, this is a situation that calls for our SERIOUS EGOs to make a SERIOUS ISSUE because we r SERIOUS ARTISTS. Burn him at the stake!
    Johny wrote: »
    blenderhead how old are you ?
  • Funky Bunnies
    Offline / Send Message
    Funky Bunnies polycounter lvl 17
    Dusty wrote: »
    Last night I stole some lunch meat that wouldn't scan on the self checkout lane. Just want to come out and say it.

that's big of you, Dusty. Real big.