Home General Discussion

lowpolyarts.com rips off 3d artwork

bunker-final.jpg
cyborgmarco.jpg

I don't know the guy, but he's on my msn (someone forwarded me his details because he was offering wellpaid freelance work, but it turned out he was looking for a wellpaid freelance gig, heh), and apparantly posted here once (andvari).
The reason I post it is because he once told me he did quite a bit of freelance work, in which case: look out for this one.
The rest of the work on his website varies in style and presentation as well, but that doesn't mean anything in itself.

http://lowpolyarts.com/

(his images are hosted at http://cerebralgames.com/, but I don't know if there's any link)

another image here: http://lowpolyarts.cerebralgames.com/images/drone3.jpg

Replies

• adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    How the hell do you guys catch this stuff? Stare at Bobo's work for hours until its engraved in your heads then come across something like this?

Nice catch.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adam: He ejaculated awesome art straight into my eye back when my mind was an empty vessel. It's now filled with his textures and a vast knowledge of how to say things in such a way that it makes it seem like I only think of cock.

Seriously though, the serious rift between the shading and the way it's applied to the model just screen copy-paste to me, so then I began going through my mental library. First I thought it was Qube's texture for this model, but then I took a closer look at this one...

per: Check out the backpiece as well. That, and the shoulderpad, which is the belt on the original.
    And check out his resume: http://www.lowpolyarts.com/commercial/
    He's making money off of this, which is where I draw the line for feeling guilty.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    aye if its just the same shape or inspired by, whatever, doesnt bother me much.. but if you can see actual pixels that were taken and transplanted over, then morally you should credit the original somewhere- imo
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    perna - even though he's making money?*
    *italics just for you!

If he's learning and this is his method, more power to him. If he's selling this stuff and he's copying it from another artists work that's a definite faux pas, no?
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    well per's views will become ok after this orphan works shit comes about. After that, I'm ripping all you mofos off.
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    wow, I'm really amazed how you caught this too. They look different enough to not be so obvious to catch except the back bit. Actually I guess the forehead protector is the closest resemblance.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can see your viewpoint, but what gets me going is that this guy is getting paid while others are struggling to find work. Maybe this is too public, but like I said: I wouldn't have posted it if this was some beginner or hobbyist.
    And I'm sure if you look at it some more you'll see that large parts of it (everything but the tube, really) are copy-pasted with minimal work. Seriously, take a good look.

Still, I've gotten him to remove it and according to him it's the only stolen piece on there (yes, he admitted to copy-pasting it), so if the mods agree that this is taking it too far, feel free to delete the thread.

And I know, probably the only reason I haven't done it myself when I was just starting out is because I found this community where people where very vocal about that being wrong. That doesn't mean I haven't basically recreated texture almost pixel-by-pixel, but that never turned up in public, let alone my portfolio.
    I certainly don't want to ruin his career over one wrong choice though, you make a very valid point there.
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    he's got so many characters in his 'folio that aren't ripped (as far as i can tell) that it doesn't really bother me...
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Just because someone rips something well doesn't change the fact that it is a rip. Personally, I've always avoided "sourcing" other people's work. I don't mind looking to others for inspiration or techniques. But I wouldn't dream of copy / pasting from someone elses texture. I just think it would cheapen my model in my own eyes. Even if no one ever caught it, I wouldn't feel like it had been my work. And that's just from an ametuer perspective.

In terms of professionalism, it is completely innexcusable. To make money off of someone elses work without crediting them or giving them a cut of the profits is unethical.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    No one lighting up their torches and carrying pitchforks as you're making them out to, perna, so lets not make a mountain out of this mole-hill of an issue. A question was raised about moral decision and execution, nothing more. Let's leave it be.

So please, simmer down fella or we'll throw you back in your cage without dinner or a phone call. ;)

EDIT: I think you meant to say they don't make pixels that small and Photoshop can only zoom 1600%.

OH...

ohsnap.jpg
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    Are his textures even on geometry?

Black limbs looks suspiciously 2d. And why did that texture detail behind the legs aliased like that.

Cool ninja trick: the fake folio sheet.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    so if I copy just some stuff, from some of your textures, and have it on just one of my portfolio pieces, I guess it's okay?

one is one too many.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    its not about not beeing ok. Obviously its not ok to rip textures pixel by pixel and sell them , the thing that is beeing criticized is the immature and unprofessional way people here are impaling the guy . Its like back in kindergarden when a kid would rape a lemon or pee in the plants the other ones go to the teachers saying "TEACHER RUDOLF IS A FAG HE RAPED A LEMON WHILE PEEING , PLEASE PUNISH HIM , K ? I ENJOY SEEING SCENES LIKE THESE"

Its just plain childish, but thats my opinion :)and like armpit hair, everyone has one...
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    Heh, I'm flattered more than anything. I get things like this emailed to me a lot and honestly it's no big deal. This will only take him so far. It looks like he is still a novice, so hopefully he can learn a little from it.

I remember when polycount hosted Q3 skins. 90% of them had parts of Kenneth's originals in them.

- BoBo
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    Theres a difference between, being inspired by, and ,manipulating already created textures. Its like the argument in music. If I take the Amen or Funky Drummer break, and then use it in my track am I illegal? If I then use a sample from someone else`s track that used the Amen break, does that make it doubly wrong?

I understand the argument here, and looking at the models Bobotheseal still has superiority in terms of quality, by far, it still remains a rip though.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You see, bobo is clearly delusional with rage.
    Fire him into the sun!

In all seriousness, this is really pretty trivial, if someone did this to one of my textures i would be more flattered than anything. And really, who cares if he's making money off of it? If all he can do is rip other people, he'll be exposed for it eventually and it will all even out. That doesn't seem to be the case here, so its really a non issue.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    I hope when I'm novice I can have 8 shipped titles too.. :D
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    You would think people would learn after all the countless previous artists busted and burned on stake for this kind of shit. Sure in this case it's not too big, but stealing n rippin is still stealing n ripping..lucky for him this wasn't cgtalk or his career would be over
  • _Shimmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Shimmer polycounter lvl 18
    not much to comment here. I mean whatever, he is doing a crazy mix of characters furries, weird stuff and what not.

BUT

I love seeing Bobos TF Engineer Arms, reused once again (and many others)!
    bs7.jpg

Well, seems he is a fan of yours ,bobo :P these space officers also look kinda trekiish :D
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Theres a difference between, being inspired by, and ,manipulating already created textures. Its like the argument in music. If I take the Amen or Funky Drummer break, and then use it in my track am I illegal? If I then use a sample from someone else`s track that used the Amen break, does that make it doubly wrong?

I understand the argument here, and looking at the models Bobotheseal still has superiority in terms of quality, by far, it still remains a rip though.

legally you can sample up to 6 seconds of audio from any track you like without having to pay royalties.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not sure we should pull this guy off the giant pile of kindling just yet...
    nagamarco.jpg
    Looks like he's exporting models and possibly textures out of WoW too?
    nagamarco.jpgnaga_4337.jpg Take a look at the hands, the forearms, and the face. I'd be really interested in seeing wireframes of both side by side. I also think I spot some other wow textures (if not ripped heavily inspired).
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Think he may have potential being a good artist, just not very good at hiding things.

Another bobo fan.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    legally you can sample up to 6 seconds of audio from any track you like without having to pay royalties.

lol. Where did you hear this nonsense?
  • Kovac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kovac polycounter lvl 18
    I definitely see both sides of the fence, but while this guy seems 'amateur' he's still be doing freelance work since 03 and has a handful of shipped titles to go with it:

http://www.lowpolyarts.com/commercial/

That part I don't really care to see... but if bobo doesn't give a shit we shouldn't either.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    You kids shouldn't play so rough.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18

I suggest you take a look at Bridgeport Music, Inc. v. Dimension Films
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    _Shimmer wrote: »
    not much to comment here. I mean whatever, he is doing a crazy mix of characters furries, weird stuff and what not.

BUT

I love seeing Bobos TF Engineer Arms, reused once again (and many others)!
    bs7.jpg

Well, seems he is a fan of yours ,bobo :P these space officers also look kinda trekiish :D

YIKES! oooh that's bad.
  • PeterK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
    Hey Per, You're giving me a goddamn headache with your ego shit. Maybe you and Hyper should blast out a lovechild together.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    hi guize! I mad a moadl:
    miy_modal.jpg
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    lol rooster... you even remembered the cock
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    hahahah! Rooster that was hilarious.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i love you roo
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    Hahaha, I love the shitty smudges and blurs rooster!
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    HAHAHA, rooster!
    You win my eternal love for ever and ever <3

-caseyjones
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    once again, a perfect polycount thread, oh man i love it!
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Roo has made my day.
  • greenj2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Johny wrote: »
    ...Its like back in kindergarden when a kid would rape a lemon or pee in the plants the other ones go to the teachers saying "TEACHER RUDOLF IS A FAG HE RAPED A LEMON WHILE PEEING...

Just validated this thread's existence, thanks Johny. ;-)

Although in this case I think the 'ripping' is near insignificant, anyone I knew of doing something like this would get a 'potential hack' flag next to their name.

I can't think of any artist I've known, at any particular skill level who would do something like that. It goes against the concept of taking pride in your work and improving your skills.

No need to hand him his balls yet, but keep the knife handy.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
  • Kevin Albers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Albers polycounter lvl 18
    I think calling this a rip is maybe a bit much, and I don't think it necessarily warranted launching a thread about it. Many if not most great works of art have some bits lifted from other works of art...it's a pretty standard way of making art, and not some hugely immoral act. It's not like the original texture was just copied and pasted with a bit of hue shift or some such.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    I'm always ripping myself off...
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    ... It's not like the original texture was just copied and pasted with a bit of hue shift or some such.

uh...

comparigifmz8.gif
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Man, next you guys will gang up on environment artists for being the fucking master's of Ctrl-C + Ctrl-V. :poly108:
  • aniceto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aniceto polycounter lvl 18
    i see an original pixel
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    I just feel bad for the clients who have to pay for and copyright that shit!
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, that is the really bad thing-- getting your clients sued
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    WhiteEagle wrote: »
    I can't think of any artist I've known, at any particular skill level who would do something like that. It goes against the concept of taking pride in your work and improving your skills.
    Does the name Petrakis ring a bell, Eagle? HAHA!

-caseyjones
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    On the topic of getting your clients in trouble:
    "This model was built with 1100 triangles and a 512x512 skin. The character was made for the RPG game Fate : Undiscovered Realms"
    This is about his red snake model, which he also posted a video of on his animation page.

To johnny: I really don't know where you see this hatred. I really don't know how else to do this. If I keep this quiet, he'll do it some more.
    And don't use the word 'novice' anymore, it's not suitable. If I did this, I'd fully expect all you fuckers to hang me out to dry, and I have far less released titles.

It sounds like those who are opposed to this thread still think this guy's fourteen and slaving away at his craft.
    Mind you, I contacted him and he swore this was the only thing on his website that used something that wasn't his. I advised him to take it off and only keep his own work on there.
    'Fine, fair enough, take the thread do... hang on. Oh hey look, he ripped off bobo some more, and WoW. Classy'
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    if half of the people on flickr saw my work... ugh.

@pea - i think people on the internets read your writing in what ever tonality makes you sound like an asshole. :)
  • o2car
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    o2car polycounter lvl 16
    Agree with BoBo, will only take him so far. This happened to me in school too. It just shows people like what you do, and you inspire them.