Home General Discussion

New President?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
I just found out that we got a new president of the United States today. Anyone else hear anything at all about this?

Replies

• steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    OBAMAAAAAA IN DA HIZOUSE
    Woohooo!! Go USA!!!! :D
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I feel unsafe. Where is Bush to protect us!!!!
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    he's treated too much like a celebrity tbh
    over here in toronto star, we found out how he doesnt like beets..... gj

either way, this should be interesting. i like his policies / thoughts etc. i look forward to seeing wat happens in the next few years, and if he can take the presssureeeee
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I think it was time for change, voted for it, glad we got it. But good god, stfu now! People were crying at work and shit. UGH. Seriously? Yes, he's 1/2 african american. Yes, it's big. Now get over it and move forward kthx. We've got a huge mess to dig ourselves out of.
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    Vassago wrote: »
    I think it was time for change, voted for it, glad we got it. But good god, stfu now! People were crying at work and shit. UGH. Seriously? Yes, he's 1/2 african american. Yes, it's big. Now get over it and move forward kthx. We've got a huge mess to dig ourselves out of.

no he's not, he's half african and half american.

also yeah, i'm just watching him. i'm kinda worried he'll fuck up and nobody'll call him on it but crazy old bill o reilly.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Good luck USA~

Many challenges awaits.
  • timwiese
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    timwiese polycounter lvl 9
    I foresee a long pointless thread coming
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19

Thats because his presidency is a big deal to a lot of people. Like... a LOT of people. This isn't just another election, as it were. To expect people to get over something like this so quickly is a bit foolish, no? Imagine something you never, in your wildest dreams, expected to see in your life time actually came to be.

TL;DR: If we get flying cars or holodeck technology for the consumer before I die, I won't shuttup about it ever. :D
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    what the hell do we need flying cars for when we have flying brooooooooooooomsss!

but yeah i'm interested in seeing what changes come when and how fast.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, he's 1/2 african american...

Wait ... I just realized that we actually voted in a true "African-American" as opposed to someone who happens to have darker skin tone with loose, historical ties to Africa ... it just keeps getting crazier and crazier ...
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    adamBrome wrote: »
    Thats because his presidency is a big deal to a lot of people. Like... a LOT of people. This isn't just another election, as it were. To expect people to get over something like this so quickly is a bit foolish, no? Imagine something you never, in your wildest dreams, expected to see in your life time actually came to be.

TL;DR: If we get flying cars or holodeck technology for the consumer before I die, I won't shuttup about it ever. :D

Don't be puttin the pussy on the pedestal
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18

While I agree to an extent, I find celebrity to be an annoyance in general, I think that this overlooks a huge problem.

The US (And the rest of the world) has a big mess that we need to dig ourselves out of, and so far as I can tell part of the problem is moral, and part of the solution is to get a moral boost. The US hasn't had a president that the vast majority of the world has trusted or liked for some time now. Having a president who is opposite that, that can boost moral through his charisma and speaking, and make people believe in a leadership figure again, is kind of needed right now.

Just my two cents.

I don't know if Obama is forsure that guy, but he sure seems to be starting off on the right foot.
  • SideEffect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SideEffect polycounter lvl 19
    Exactly man.
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    [...]Imagine something you never, in your wildest dreams, expected to see in your life time actually came to be.[...]
    I don't know, it couldn't have been that much of a surprise to see a black man become president. I'm not saying he didn't become president on his own merits (although I think presidents rarely do), but everything did point towards it after the guilt Americans (perhaps not entirely consciously) felt after the xenophobia they displayed post that whole 9/11 and consequently Iraq.

Don't get me wrong, it's entirely "irrationally rational" behaviour and most of us would have reacted the same way, but most people did feel uneasy (whether they admitted to it or not) for a long time (and still do) when seeing totally innocent people of an arabic/foreign descent. So there's a whole lot of guilt that people are carrying around which definitley played a role in electing Obama.

Having said that, the man does seem like a good guy (for a politician), and I do hope, for all of us, that he will live up to people's expectations. Or South Park predicted it right.. :poly121:
  • Saidin311
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saidin311 polycounter lvl 11
    Whether or not the economy recovers in short or long time, or even under his Presidency is something we don't know right now. But the election of Obama is a historical event. While I'm not crying on his words or shouting AMEN to the skies, I feel like I as as resident of North America (yes, NOT American) that I was part of history.

There are a lot of things in the last 50-60 years that the generations before us (our parents) were a part of that we haven't quite experienced. To use a cliche this is a defining moment for our generation. I can't help but think about things like the Kennedy Assasination, the beat generation and the hippie movement that defined 60's culture. And the fact that no matter how we view those times, they were defining moments in the development of our minds and culture. The fact that we are a part of this particular movement whether it changes things or not is a true testament to the fact that us as humans can accept change. And can accept it better than the generation previous.

Yes, that might sound a bit cliche but it's what I'm feeling when I see an event like this happen. We may not be telling this day to our grandkids, but maybe our eyes have been opened a bit. And heck, I'm just a Canadian and I feel this way. So I sympathize when I see over-exhuberant Americans expressing their feelings. I wish we could have a movement in this country that would make people stand up and take notice because right now we have a sleezbag leading our country and population that doesn't give a fuck.

Obama and his government have a lot of work to do. And if he fails, so be it. We will only know that in the years to come. But this election happened and it is a major historical moment in the politics of America and North America. And I think that there is a realization of that fact missing upon a lot of people who just want this story to end.

So sorry for sounding a bit nostalgic, but I was pretty effin amazed by the realization of today's events.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Imagine something you never, in your wildest dreams, expected to see in your life time actually came to be

Exactly. I didn't even realize until election night that the US was the first western nation to elect a black person to the highest office in our country. This isn't just historical on a national, but on an international scale. I think Barack summed it up best himself, when he mentions how just around 60 years ago, his own father would have been refused service in some restaurants and now he is our President).
    Saidin311 wrote: »
    We may not be telling this day to our grandkids...

We most definitely will be telling this day to our grandkids. I just hope that by that time racial lines have blurred to the point that they look at us the way some people are reacting to this historical event and wonder (appropriately) what the big deal is that a black guy was elected as our president.
  • Saidin311
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saidin311 polycounter lvl 11
    We most definitely will be telling this day to our grandkids.

Just wanted to say that I hope this is true too. My point was such that us a generation HAVE experienced other things that are equally important (911 to drop the big one). Basically to say that we may not realize this historical importance right now. In so far as the average person may not be able to re-live his speech words, or tell us where they were when Obama was sworn in. But eventually I hope that we will all realize the importance of what happened today (and during the election) so much that we can pass by the CNN crap about what designer suit he's wearing or how good his penmanship is (thanks Wolf Blitzer).

This story is one for generations is what I was saying, maybe just not in the same immediate impactful sense that the cynics might assume.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    I for one welcome our new ant overlords
  • Super
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18
    He's going to harvest the sun apparently.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I hear people saying "Yes we DID it" like the job is over, America is fixed and all because he's in office. Phew good thing too, because we almost had to do something about it. Now we can just sit back and wait for the magic pixie dust to hit the oval office floor and everything will be A-OK...

We didn't watch the end of a long race and now everyone can take a breather. It was a call to action. The fact that someone of color is in the White House is a great historical event and we should celebrate it, but lets not get hung up on it and think that we're done. That was a by product of picking the best person for the job. Sober up, its time to get to work... WE have a lot of work to do.

One person can't right this badly listing ship, but one guy can act as an idea screener and offer up possible solutions on how America, can fix itself. The actual get your hands dirty work and the job of restoring America's moral fiber is not up to him. Hopefully he can nudge everyone into action but without some serious grass roots movement this train isn't leaving the station. Especially if everyone thinks we're done, and that one person is going to fix it all.

It's sad when I hear things like "the poles show the majority of people will be patient when it comes to President Obama fixing the nation" It's sadder that the question is "will you be patient while we wait for Obama to fix America?" What the hell people?

We may not have broken it, but its up to us to fix it. If we lay it all in his lap, and expect him to do it, we haven't changed at all and we deserve to fail.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    gavku wrote: »
    obamarama01.jpg

The truth is funny! As long as you bend or outright ignore it! :poly142:

Anyway i'm kinda expecting good things from this presidency. Less because of Barack himself, who i like and wouldve voted for, and more because all of this 'historic landmark, time for change' buzz attracts good people to his administration. It's going to be difficult for him not to be surrounded by the best.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    I don't know. Frankly, I don't feel any differently that someone of a minority ethnicity is now the President. This is probably a good sign. I have been raised in a generation that doesn't judge a man differently because of the color of his skin. At the same time, I'm a little perplexed by all the hoopla. I honestly can't see me telling my children about this, or getting worked up over it in any meaningful way. Frankly, I had always expected this to happen sooner or later.

I think a lot of the excitement is just because so many people desired a change from the previous administration. But it is important for people to remember that major sweeping socioeconomic changes are rarely ever due to the actions of the President. I honestly don't believe that Bush was responsible for the economic downturn that we're currently experiencing. Looking at the history of economic activity, we were already long overdue for a recession of this level. And although I hope we are able to get out of this as quickly as possible, I don't think that President Obama's decisions will be directly responsible for that.

I wish President Obama the best, and hope that he makes solid decisions that will benefit our country.
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    I think he has more of a cool factor than the previous president. If course, that means he could look really scary and evil if he does mess things up horribly (I don't believe he will), as opposed to Bush, who just looks goofy. Obama should do a good job; why wouldn't he? He should certainly want to do a good job.

Ant overlords. Hmm..
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I heard rumors that he was a black man.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    I have been raised in a generation that doesn't judge a man differently because of the color of his skin.

You come from the distant distant future? From a parallel dimension? :D
    Not saying it isnt totally wrong to do so...but c'mon. That is not the reality.

I was just watching Michael Moore's 'Sicko' again last night. Obama needs to get his shit together over the state of healthcare in the states. Then he needs to shut down Quantanamo. Then fix the world.

Quite a list of chores.
  • [Deleted User]
    East wrote: »
    I don't know, it couldn't have been that much of a surprise to see a black man become president.
    Forty years ago they were being beaten in the streets just for wanting civil rights.
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    He has brought HOPE to a lot of people. This is something the country (and the world) desperately needs right now. He most likely won't be the miracle worker that people make him out to be but that's okay. As long as we at least get pointed in the right direction his presidency will be worth it.

And for those amazed at the hype over race.. try coming out to the small towns in America, get away from your cities. Then come back and ask what the big deal about race is.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    blenderhead how old are you ?
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    There is some conspiracy to this so called "president".

barack-obama-conspiracy-photo.jpg
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Johny wrote: »
    blenderhead how old are you ?

Apologies, that post came off as if I didn't like him or something. I'm a big fan of his, and am really glad things have panned out how they have. He represents a little glimmer of hope after a fair few decades of absolute crud. I believe he can do everything that needs doing, just saying what needs to be done (what everyone is saying needs to be done).

Will be interesting to see his first 100 days in office.

EDIT: Also, looking back at it, there was a hint of humour in there too. Sorry if you can't pick it up.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, I don't think there's any question that our new President has his work cut out for him. It is hard times right now, and eveyrone is going to be looking to the President to help matters. As I said in an earlier post, the President's involvement is only going to be one factor in a much larger equation. Probably the best thing about the Obama administration is the goodwill and positive sentiments that it has managed to generate. It is silly for people to think that everything will be better now, the Presidency isn't authoritative enough to magically fix everything. But the fact that people are looking at this with so much hope could end up being a major part of the solution they are looking for. Hopefully the Obama administration will be able to benefit from a self-fulfiling prophecy, and things really will start turning for the better.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Apologies, that post came off as if I didn't like him or something. I'm a big fan of his, and am really glad things have panned out how they have. He represents a little glimmer of hope after a fair few decades of absolute crud. I believe he can do everything that needs doing, just saying what needs to be done (what everyone is saying needs to be done).

Will be interesting to see his first 100 days in office.

EDIT: Also, looking back at it, there was a hint of humour in there too. Sorry if you can't pick it up.

You're that young?
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    OMG jox! The truth has set me free!
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    snemmy wrote: »
    And for those amazed at the hype over race.. try coming out to the small towns in America, get away from your cities. Then come back and ask what the big deal about race is.

I'm just across the river from Snemmy, and live in a big city that had a race riot just seven years ago. An actual riot over the death of a black teenager, killed by a white cop - looting, tear gas, curfews, the works. In middle America, seven years ago.

Anyone who thinks that race is no big deal anymore, I have about 30 blocks of downtown Cincinnati I'd like to show you. In much of America, blacks are a clear minority, but here the split is nearly even between black and white, and the racial divide is a part of life.

If you had told me 7 years ago that George Bush would be succeeded by the first black president, I wouldn't have believed it.
  • Ballo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ballo polycounter lvl 9
    good luck! northamericans!
  • Joseph Silverman