Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: GED

Replies

• Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    thought I may as well drop this one into my sketchbook too.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    showing my workflow to make this 2hr bust in 3D coat
    layers_steps.jpg
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I had to remove some gifs from my thread because it was killing my hosting bandwidth.

I was inspired by nick carvers concepts, basically its a gray 3D model with a heavy paintover. This is for the gameartisans turbo sled concept comp.

*edit: removed images cause of bandwidth, final image is lower down this page
  • jerry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The second looks better. It's easier on the eyes and it has a shadow which adds alot to the pic.

Good job.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    heres the final entry of that turbo sleigh

snowmonster_final.jpg
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    nice man, when I saw this I immediately thought, gagh- ged's jockin that carver dude!
    but hey man, good person to jock, the end result looks real snazzy and I bet it didnt take too too long to produce. awesome + fast = win
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    konstruct wrote: »
    nice man, when I saw this I immediately thought, gagh- ged's jockin that carver dude!
    but hey man, good person to jock, the end result looks real snazzy and I bet it didnt take too too long to produce. awesome + fast = win

haha yeah it took probably about 5 hours (2 for model, 3 for paintover and tweaking), theres no way I could actually straight out paint something like this without using 3D in under 5 hours so I think its a pretty good workflow. Yeah he is a good person to jock, I did say I was inspired by Nick Carver further up this thread :) totally loved seeing his work he dumped recently in the pimpin section, sad news about the jobs situation though.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    hi ged.. this weapon looks realy cool.. i only think it would be better to remove the lower "knife" and everything right to the grip (this arm-holder thing and the spike)..

easier to read and looks imo more "usable"
    so i would go for the less-is-more tactic

sorry.. just my 2c :)
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    rollin wrote: »
    hi ged.. this weapon looks realy cool.. i only think it would be better to remove the lower "knife" and everything right to the grip (this arm-holder thing and the spike)..

easier to read and looks imo more "usable"
    so i would go for the less-is-more tactic

sorry.. just my 2c :)

thanks for the crit I will see what that looks like but I really wanted to do something a little more out of the ordinary :/
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    jie i know .. but there are two ways out - kitsch and cool
    and if you mix bones-nekro-stuff with some fancy scyfy shapes it´s heading more in the direction of kitsch (or brummagem or hokum or how you call it)
    .... but thats just imo
    and don´t get me wrong.. its technically and (apart from what i´ve mentioned) designwise very well done
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    rollin wrote: »
    jie i know .. but there are two ways out - kitsch and cool
    and if you mix bones-nekro-stuff with some fancy scyfy shapes it´s heading more in the direction of kitsch (or brummagem or hokum or how you call it)

Ive just been doing some revisions to the sculpt. I was thinkin more necro-piratey stuff(big pirate zombie with one of these on each arm) not scifi at all, I guess Ive just got a different impression of this weapon in my head to others that might view it. Anyway I decided Im gonna keep it as it is but Im making some adjustments to the arm strap etc.
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    It took me a bit on the weapon to figure out how it was used, but now that I see it I think it's badass. I'd keep it with the lower blade and extra mass down there. Let's face it, even without that - it'd still take a lot of strength to weild that thing very well, and anyone that bulky isn't likely going to be bending in such a way as to elbow-impale themselves.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    haha yeah there are alot of elbow impaling weapons around hehe. Thanks two listen I think Ill post this as my final image. I like the bandage wrapping stuff its just a pity my computer cant go up any more levels of detail so I cant add scratches and dents on the blades or detail to the arm wrapping etc

necroblade_final2.jpg
  • whipSwitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whipSwitch polycounter lvl 8
    Thats a badass weapon. You really could tear through 20 or 30 people with two of these things! Assuming of course you could pick them up...

Comp limitation not withstanding,you could make the straps on the arm piece thinner and a bit less lumpy. Maybe add a seam in the metal section of the bracer, so the straps look like they are there for a reason other than decoration. Either way I think you could finish it off with a some slight re-arrangement that doesn't require more levels of detail. Either way, good stuff.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    whipSwitch wrote: »
    Maybe add a seam in the metal section of the bracer, so the straps look like they are there for a reason other than decoration.

thanks whipSwitch I knew I should do something more to this strap area but wasnt sure what. I think those are good suggestions, I might finish this weapon off with those added details.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I wanted to try out 3d coats volumetric sculpting layers and then the retopo tools, the workflow was pretty fast, slowest part of making this little model was the xnormal normal map baking as Ive never done a completely symetrical model before and Im getting wierd artifacts along the x axis seam :(...you cant really see it in this image but its under the neck and behind the horn things and on the back bone

around 4000 tris

ragaradon1.jpg
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I think Im done with this little dinosaur frog dragon parana thing, I call him ragaradon and hes my first test of retopo and voxel sculpt bake in 3dcoat.

ragara_presentation2.jpg
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    So this is where you've been hiding all your work! Hey this thread is nice, it has a nice air about it. The wolf-frog near the first pages is freaking radical. And snow monster looks like he's a serious robot that is having too much fun! Okay, as you were.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    So this is where you've been hiding all your work! Hey this thread is nice, it has a nice air about it. The wolf-frog near the first pages is freaking radical. And snow monster looks like he's a serious robot that is having too much fun! Okay, as you were.

yeah haha I decided that instead of adding a new thread to "pimpin" section every few weeks I would just add everything to here so feel free to crit or offer help or comment as it may be all the comments I get. Thanks for visiting :)
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the amount of work you produce is astounding, are you currently employed in the games industry?
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    the amount of work you produce is astounding, are you currently employed in the games industry?

Thanks Konstruct, no Im currently a 3D designer for a marketing/advertising solutions company in the UK, I do everything(modelling, texturing,lighting, animating, rendering etc) as I am the sole 3D artist in my workplace. Its good experience but I intend to see if I can get into the games industry later this year as thats what Ive always wanted to do since I started with 3D. Im in the process of updating my website at the moment :P.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    thought I might enter the kingdom hearts challenge on gameartisans, still gotta make his battle armour.

3D coat voxel sculpt

*edit - look on the next page too see pooh bear in armour
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I bought paint tool sai! its sooo good!

heres a little test of the tools

saitest.jpg
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    pooh is ready for battle!

pooh_armour1.jpg
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    decided to finish my paint tool sai experiment

cybermonk.jpg
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I retopod my pooh sculpt today in 3D coat only took a few hours but hes still quite lowpoly, any suggestions for where to add some edge loops?

pooh_lowpoly.jpg
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    anyone know how to get rid of x axis seams when using normal maps from xnormal? if I set my weld threshhold for the lowpoly too high in max I get wierd distortion/meshsmooth errors if I set my threshold down I get this which is ok but has pretty obvious seams

this is still 1024x1024

pooh_lowpoly2.jpg

looks a bit better with colour and lighting but the seam issues are still there. this is with all 512x512 now

poohwip.jpg
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    final submission to the challenge

poohbear_final2.jpg
  • acapulco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acapulco polycounter lvl 9
    Hahaha, nice one dude! Looks great.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    thanks acapulco, might do some 2D art now to take a break from all that 3D
  • qubism
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    qubism polycounter lvl 18
    where is the honey ?!

looking sweet!
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    haha thanks qubism :)
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    been working on this for imaginefx february challenge any crits are welcome

man_and_machine7.jpg
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    started on ryu in 3D coat, I plan on doing his whole upper body in the hadouken pose :D
    * ditched the ryu head cause it sucks
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    havent updated for a little while, my dad had a minor stroke and Im starting work on dom war minis and stuff. Did this quick model to test 3Dcoats cloth and new shaders etc

3dcspeedy1.jpg
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    just working on my skills, one day to make this, pure render from C4D no post work

telephone5_sm.jpg
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Im wondering if theres a way I could use 3D coat during dominance war. I might prototype ideas in 3D coat alpha and then export a "basemesh" using the quadrangulation tools then sculpt in a traditional app mudbox or zbrush. If 3D coat V3 was finished I would probably use it for alot more than that but its just an alpha so Ill probably stick to other tools for most of the competition. heres a doodle from today just made to test the quadrangulation

3dc_headsculpt1.jpg

quadwires.jpg
  • Saidin311
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saidin311 polycounter lvl 11
    this last one is messed up! But I absolutely dig the phone man. Great model!
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah the material on that phone is awesome. does it say GED in the middle?
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    yeah the material on that phone is awesome. does it say GED in the middle?

thanks I worked hard on the shader settings, its actually 2 shaders on top of eachother, one just controls the specular speckles and stuff like that. yes it does say GED haha GED is my initials so my username should actually be read G.E.D.

Saidin I know that last voxel sculpt was a bit messy and wierd but you gotta remember this is a sketchbook and sketchbooks are full of messy experiments as well as cool stuff...at least mine are haha or maybe you meant messed up as in funky or freaky?
  • Helixx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Helixx polygon
    Fun doodle on that last one and I'm gonna have to agree with everyone else on the phone. Sweetness.
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    Can't really comment on your 3D, as I don't do any of it myself, but your 2D work - I notice they all seem pretty dark, you don't need to make the outer edges of every character or object darker to give them a feeling of volume. It's what I feel is happening, anyway. Also, you seem to be doing a lot with "round" - don't be afraid to use some sharper and more jagged shapes and/or brushes.

The lighting scheme also seems to tend to be more always hitting it dead on from the viewers eye, but feels like it WANTS to be coming from somewhere else. Do you know what I mean?

Sorry my criticisms generally tend to be pretty long and drawn out. Reasonably new to this myself.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Two Listen wrote: »
    Can't really comment on your 3D, as I don't do any of it myself, but your 2D work - I notice they all seem pretty dark, you don't need to make the outer edges of every character or object darker to give them a feeling of volume. It's what I feel is happening, anyway. Also, you seem to be doing a lot with "round" - don't be afraid to use some sharper and more jagged shapes and/or brushes.

The lighting scheme also seems to tend to be more always hitting it dead on from the viewers eye, but feels like it WANTS to be coming from somewhere else. Do you know what I mean?

Sorry my criticisms generally tend to be pretty long and drawn out. Reasonably new to this myself.

no thats fair crits two listen, I know Im making the silhouettes pretty heavy and the shadows quite dark. its partly because of me being fairly new to using dark shadows, I used to be really scared of adding too much shadow cause it hides all those nice details but now I see it actually enhances the shape and details Im still trying to get the tone and values right but I think that will come with practice. At the moment Im probably just overcompensating with too much shadow :P

thanks helixx, the phone was made for a cinem4d competition at C4D cafe, I didnt even place in the top 7 but I did only spend one day on it.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    entry for dow war minicomp

wargeneral6.jpg
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    colour_of_magic_final.jpg

abstract inspired by terry pratchetts idea of the colour of magic
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    my entry for c4dcafe's latest challenge - cornershop

cornershop14.jpg

cornershop14_wires.jpg
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    tried making one of those 3d eye illusion things, kinda works for me.

cornershop_3deye.jpg
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    speedmode - under 90 mins
    cricket3_sm.jpg
  • L
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    L polycounter lvl 11
    there's alot of really nice work in here man, gj. I really like the deadpool model and the different lighting setups you were going thru. I'm not a 3d guy, haven't done any since I was in school a few years ago. but seeing stuff like that as well as several other 3d art here kinda makes me want to get back into it.

also, those tv studies from heroes are excellent, the last one (rooftop) is definitely my favorite. great work...