Home General Discussion

Fallout 3

Replies

• JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    I kinda finished the game, without realising I was doing a quest that would finish the game.

ARRRGHHH!!! I want to keep playing. SO I rerolled, a brand new character from the start. Unarmed Chick, with the Naughty Nightwear and a hockey mask.

Maxed out on Luck, so I'm landing crit after crit.

Total ownage.
  • Hito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    you can find Argyle, be he's long dead; Dashwood will pay you some caps if you bring him the news I think.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Delivered the Naughty Nightware, hahaha.

Found where Vault 112 is located completely by accident, not going in just yet.

Oh yah, found the Ruined Bestheda facility; it's practically a shopping mart for custom weapon goodies.

Oh... and, really... why did this take so long to show up?

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/11/19/google-map-to-the-fallout-3-wasteland/

Other notes of interest: I witnessed a group of Brotherhood Outcasts utterly lay waste to a group of Raiders that was attempting to harass me. I'm blowing away baddies with utmost abandon at this point, as I'm probably a few hundred (and easily attained) points shy of level 20; I think I'll get the "Grim Reaper Sprint" for my level 20 perk, as having to wait on VATS can be annoying.

Still gotta explore the wastes a good bit more. I've got some mission related things popping up in the lower left quadrant, so I'm gonna start exploring around there next.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    I think I will be rerolling a new characer as well, AND not that the damn "level up" perk, since I just discovered that there was a lvl 20 cap :( and I was looking forward to some of the 'high' perks. Darn. And I finally gotten really badarse with my rifle, which is my favorit weapon, those headshots is just golden. Been playing the good guy all the time, which also means I'm kinda stuck with the Tenpenny tower, since I messed up somehow and cant get Ling to agree with me, so either way, people is going to get slaughtered. I wish that creation of objects would take a more important role in the game, since there is so much stuff laying around. I thought in the beginning that I might be able to make grenades out of tin cans and been hoarding them, until I went to the wiki of fallout and discovered that there wasn't really that many schematics :(
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished this last night, sort of by accident - I had thought it'd let you carry on exploring after the main quest was done. There's still loads I want to go back and explore, but my last non-autosave is miles back and I'm not sure I can be bothered to go back to that point :/

All in all, it's been surprisingly enjoyable, even though Beth seemed to do their utmost to make all the preview stuff look otherwise... Still not true sequel material, but fun nonetheless.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I never played (more than just a little bit) the previous two, but I gotta say that what I always imagined them to be like is exactly how this game is presenting itself, so I find the "it's not a true fallout game" comments a little hard to grasp. I think it more than meets the midway point of what's to be expected of big games nowadays and what a dev can realistically deliver.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    McGreed, you can make grenades using tin cans, but they aint by far the rarest ingredient
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    flaagan, the thing about the previous fallout was just the pure dark humour they had, and i mean hardcore shit, the combat was pretty boring, but the gibs etc were of the most gruesome i have ever seen , just playing funny game, people tend to forget that nowadays, they think that throwing an f bomb makes it funny ahhaha!

pick them up and you wont regret ;)
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan wrote: »
    I never played (more than just a little bit) the previous two, but I gotta say that what I always imagined them to be like is exactly how this game is presenting itself, so I find the "it's not a true fallout game" comments a little hard to grasp. I think it more than meets the midway point of what's to be expected of big games nowadays and what a dev can realistically deliver.
    It's more the tone and the writing that the 3 doesn't live up to and that's what really made the first two games.

It's still in Fallout 3, but it feels a bit like they sat down and tried to work out what made Fallout Fallout then forced it into the game, rather than just letting it happen naturally in the tone of the game.
  • Hito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    Yeah I can see that Talon. the writing is up and down. Some characters feel more like Fallout while others feel less so. But having so much time pass and so much has changed in games in the last 9 or 10 years; there's no telling how this one could have turned out; even if the original team wrote this one.

Overall though I think this installment does a fine job of carrying the torch.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reached level 20.. funny how it lists a 'leveling towards 21'.. oh Bestheda, you teases.

Checked out the Dunwich building this evening. It wasn't, in general, as creepy as some places I've been before, but having found most of the 'lost family' audio tapes already made uncovering Jamie's tapes a bit eerie. Oh... and that white flash and the dude in place of the glowing ghoul.... WTF, I want more of that!
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    heh except if you have the ghoul mask it flashes and then the ghoul just saunters off and picks his bellybutton fluff..
  • greenj2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I'm over it now. Finished the main storyline, reloaded my last save and started exploring at lvl 17.

Some places are fairly fun to explore, but by the end of each I've found they're mostly same. Every monster is a single shot kill with my android plasma rifle, I've spent waaay too much time rifling through metal boxes and cabinets, I've got more money and ammo than god and most levels lack any climax to exploring them. So unless I found a bobble-head or some comics, I just trundle my way back out feeling disappointed.

Oh and has anyone found another Vault in decent condition yet? Every one I walk into is corpse city...
  • Rox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rox
    I love stumbling upon new vaults. Never having played another Fallout, and with 101 still fresh in memory, there's a naive little boy inside me that silently wishes for cake and a party whenever I open a newly discovered vault door.

But every time I find chaos, of one kind or another. I've been to 109, 112 and um... 116 I think it was? And they all actually manage to surprise me with their creative ways of bashing my naivety back into check.

Still, I recently finished building my Deathclaw Gauntlet. That thing is awesome. It doesn't do as much base damage as the Shishkebab, but it functions in an entirely different way, and I seem to be able to near-instantly cripple humans with it. And almost every kill in VATS ends up with an arm flying away. It's good variation from the burning head I'm used to seeing lopped off! Nevermind the awesome factor of actually using a Deathclaw hand as a weapon.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There needs to be a Pimp costume you can buy, cause I'm rollin in the caps.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flaagan:
    -Get to slavers.
    -Shoot main guy.
    -Steal clothes.
    -Strut.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    So I went to the jefferson memorial got the scientific persuits quest. Accidently found vault 112 or what ever it was. Sat in the machine and WTF? Now dad is with me. Last main quest I did was GNR radio. I just skipped a whole shit ton of stuff right? Damn it.
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck polycounter lvl 13
    Jesse: yea it happens. first time through i didn't even get to GNR.
  • [Deleted User]
    So I went to the jefferson memorial got the scientific persuits quest. Accidently found vault 112 or what ever it was. Sat in the machine and WTF? Now dad is with me. Last main quest I did was GNR radio. I just skipped a whole shit ton of stuff right? Damn it.
    I did the same thing. I'm guessing they didn't think it'd be so easy to find.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyone done a speed-run on the game to see how quickly you can finish it?
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 17
    haven't played a lot, but there is this robot factory, which can be turned on again.
    Can you actually build your own robot?
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    flaagan... I was actually wondering that. If you were to just do a few main quests right away and run for the hidden vault what would happen.

Might be worth a try lol
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I definitely dig the whole bonus you get for completing the Wasteland Survivor's Guide.

Oh yah, hopefully without spoiling anything, any idea wtf the ink pot you get from the Library is for? I tried dropping it and was told you can't drop a quest item. I tried putting in the cabinet in my place in megaton, and it doesn't show up in my inventory during the swap screen.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    its to do with a quest from the preservation society place in rivet city (near the science station)
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    I'd suggest doing the quest in the Big Town clinic (unconcious guy) if people haven't already. The reward is well worth the ease of the quest.

Made myself a dart gun and been playing with that a bit, can bit handy, though doesn't do all that much damage.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrel.. you had to bring up Big Town. :(

Rooster, thanks for the heads up on that.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Did I do a bad?

I've only just done the "waters of life" part of the main story, so I think most people here are ahead of me (been focusing more on side quests myself).
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haven't played a lot, but there is this robot factory, which can be turned on again.
    Can you actually build your own robot?

Nope, at least not that I found, but you can turn all the robots to friendly and I think after that a robot vendor appears in the parking lot. For 1000 caps you can get your own robot companion. I found the vendor before but he said the robot wouldn't like me so I couldn't buy it, but after I did the factory, he was open. Pretty cool too, awesome little mule, but like all mules prone to pathing issues (which are solved by quick travel) and starting fights.

I have sarg to thank for the downfall of the Republic of Dave.

You have the added bonus of him on using the weapons you have him carry. The chick from the citadel wasted 7 mini nukes when I had her carry my Fat Man... "Oh shit its just a rad scorpion!" Reload save, thanks I'll take that back here carry useless gear.

I don't know if you can have more then one companion, for example can you have the chick from the citadel or the guy from megaton AND a robot? 2 mules... woa...

On a side note, anyone do the quest for Mr Crowly (the Ghoul), "Shoot em in the head"? I did, then picked the keys from his pocket and headed up to the fort, awesome little prize, well worth it.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I'm running around with Dogmeat and Cross at the moment so you can have at least two. I really should load Cross up with my useless junk. I hadn't thought of using her as a mule.

I wish people hadn't kicked up such a stink over the Oblivion horse armour. I'd pay a fiver for a suit of dog power armour right about now.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I never messed with Oblivion modding so I was wondering how mod-able will Fallout 3 be if it has the same tools as Oblivion?

Is it possible to sculpt new terrain and create new missions or can you only do stuff like replace replace models/textures?
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrel... Big Town was my one shortcoming in the game. Go back a few pages and you'll see where I effed up with that place, and now it's a ghost town.

Thanks for the info on the ink pot, I'll look into that. I've yet to get a single mule character, keeping an eye out for Dogmeat though. :)

Oh yah, is it a bad karma thing to do the mission for Crowly?
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    Actually, I found that I needed the ink pot for a mission somewhere.
    Dont want to post spoiler, but you might want to hold on to the ink till you get that done. Like my trusted Lincoln Rifle, love that, like hell I would trade that for 100. Noooo way. Well, don't have it now, since I ended up restarting the game because of the level 20 cap, wanted to redo some options like not taking the "level instant" perk.
  • J Randall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J Randall polycounter lvl 15
    I am kinda disappointed in the karma system I am already the last great hope and it doesn't seem like it gets much higher, just now getting into freeing slaves and theres so much more good things I can do, I am almost tempted to nuke megaton and see how long it takes to get the karma back. (alt save of course.)
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Managed to do the best ending for Tenpenny (ghouls move in).

I like how I found out about Oasis' map location. :)

For all my exploring, I've yet to come across a singe Behemoth. If there was one at the initial entrance to GNR, I missed it (stealthboy'd my way in since I had only a single health point left). I certainly hope they're not total pushovers like the Deathclaws. :P
  • greenj2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig wrote: »
    You have the added bonus of him on using the weapons you have him carry. The chick from the citadel wasted 7 mini nukes when I had her carry my Fat Man... "Oh shit its just a rad scorpion!" Reload save, thanks I'll take that back here carry useless gear.

Hey Vig, you know if you just give them the weapon itself to carry and no ammo for it, they won't use it?

Once while using Jericho, I thought I'd give him some missiles to play with. The next three firefights I got into, he launched at least one missile into the back of my head. After a few annoying quicksave reloads I took his face off with my laser pistol... :)

flaagan> I think there's one at '8D', south-west corner on this map:

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/fallout/images//d/d6/Wastelandmap.png

He's in an electrified cage, being held by some raiders. He's prolly weaker than the GNR Behemoth since he doesn't have any armor or weapons, still drops some good loot after you kill him though (I think).
  • Hito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    flaagan visit tenpenny again after the ghouls move in and see what happens...

there's another Behemoth in the Capitol building, in the rotunda. and one near Jurry Street metro station.

You can only have one henchman at a time unfortunately. I pissed the paladin chick, she was a bit stuck up though so no love lost.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    flaagan visit tenpenny again after the ghouls move in and see what happens...
    I think that's one of the more distinctly 'Fallout' story arcs in the game.

Theres also another tangent involving the chinese guy living there, which I haven't managed to fully explore yet.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "I still think it's funny when I call him Herbert." :)
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Found the fenced in Behemoth at Evergreen Mills. I came in from behind on the compound, camped out on the roof, and took out all of the raiders with my sniper rifle... love that thing. :)

Whittled the Behemoth down to a bar or two of health while he was still trapped, then let him loose and finished him off... he actually ran away at first then turned around to fight me right as I finished him off. I went up to the body to do the finished move of blowing the skull off (which I do to any creature or character which I find a pain to kill) and found it amusing that you only blow the top of the skull off.

Ornly... holy hell.. first time those Deathclaws have ever been an actual problem.

Oh yah, got the violin from Vault 92... now I've got another damn "quest item" in my inventory. :P

Found "The Republic of Dave" but decided to hold off on messing with their election, and as you can tell by my previous post, I found Oasis and finished its mission. :)

Oh yah, and finally found me a mini nuke launcher in the depths of Evergreen Mills... just need to find something worthy of using it on now (hehehe).
  • Snipergen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I completed it too and I'm reloading a save. I really want to find the android that old man told me about in Rivet City. I probably wont kill him but I want to find him :p
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Isnt the android in the broken part of the ship at Rivet City instead...? Thats where I found him...?
  • kwakkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kwakkie polycounter lvl 12
    Dude, thats a major spoiler! The whole android quest is about where to find him!
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snipergen wrote: »
    I completed it too and I'm reloading a save. I really want to find the android that old man told me about in Rivet City. I probably wont kill him but I want to find him :p
    IMHO, he gives you the best general purpose gun in the game if you don't kill him. But you can say you won't rat him out, get the awesome gun, then get him to sign off on killing the guy thats looking for him, then go rat him out, get the boost, and kill the guy. Everyone wins... except the dickhead that sent you out looking for him...
  • sicsided
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    odium wrote: »
    Isnt the android in the broken part of the ship at Rivet City instead...? Thats where I found him...?

Nope, wasn't where I found him.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sicsided wrote: »

Screw the mod tools, DLC FTW! (...can you tell I bought the 360 version? :))
  • sicsided
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm looking more towards the mod tools in terms of making the useless junk in the game and having it to make user made weapons. Like someone said earlier, those damn tin cans don't do crap, so why not tin can grenades?
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    odium, thats not the droid you're looking for
    badumch
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    sicsided, as someone else said, you can make grenades out of tin cans
    edit: oops sorry double post