Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Bathhouse

Replies

• SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    agh done go to bed now.
    one centre peice bath wid da fancy shaders and pooh. cant see it in these here still portraites but the Uvs on the water are animated and lap gently at the poll edge creating a soothing atmosphere in which to sleep sleep

pool2.jpg
    pool1.jpg
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    *yawn

zzzZZZZzzz

Looking great sheperio, love the quality of detail
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fixed some of the issues i had with the water, smoother and bettererer

also i was blocking out the entrance and fancy door (with lots of knobs), and realised what this end of the room needed was a bit of outside, it just looked better if the door was open, so i made a little courtyard, (wil require two extra peices, roof eaves and an orange tree) but i think it will look ace with the shadows coming through the folige into the courtyard and lighting up the end of the bathhouse

will put it to the back of the list for now though as if i expand there is always a danger of not finishing, (can have door closed ;-( as backup)

whoops.jpg
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zbrush pimpage door pretty much done but got a few Qs if anyone knows

1 why do some .obj files not group split, try'd lots of things with this one but i had to go and export it all individually and import it individually too. pain in the royal ass.

2 anyone got a good tip for stamping along curves, esp the curved wood parts in this door im currently just stamping straight ones round a corner, if i try and make the stamp curved it makes it alot less usable (ie scale has to stay the smame etc) just wandering if anyones come across any good ways of doing this

door.jpg
  • etsuja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    etsuja polycounter lvl 17
    Pretty sweet. I don't get how people make all this curved architecture and stuff in 3D. I suppose it might be easier if I actually used the modeler functions instead of trying to model everything by hand though.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    use primitives in the right way, basically with this obj, it was a cae of modelling alot from a tube, simple as, but a little bit of planning is involved, ref is king
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    right did some lighting tests, quick(ish) and nasty quality, but i think ive got something im quite happy with, may be a litltle dark but some exposure control will fix that.

light3-1.jpg
    light2-1.jpg
    light1-1.jpg
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    updated images above- added volume to all the points and ray angle to the sun directional, and did a slightly better render (only 50% imagination nedded to see what this will look like now)
    what do you think
  • TelekineticFrog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TelekineticFrog polycounter lvl 18
    "2 anyone got a good tip for stamping along curves, esp the curved wood parts in this door im currently just stamping straight ones round a corner, if i try and make the stamp curved it makes it alot less usable (ie scale has to stay the smame etc) just wandering if anyones come across any good ways of doing this"

Use Radial Symmetry. It should do what you're looking for.
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 17
    SHEPEIRO wrote: »
    updated images above- added volume to all the points and ray angle to the sun directional, and did a slightly better render (only 50% imagination nedded to see what this will look like now)
    what do you think

one of our coders said, that most new engines bake three lightmaps(for every normal direction), so that the shading doesn't get weakened but supported by the lightmap..

You should try it (don't know how though) :D
  • Jet_Pilot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jet_Pilot polycounter lvl 10
    here you go half way through creasing it up before zbrushing, need to resolve how it attaches to the wall aswell
    roofsupportwires.jpg

These look too jello-ie... try making some more edge loops around the corners to give it more of a harder edge look. good work
  • maltuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is looking awesome shep. One thing that stood out to me is the size of the benches, seem to appear on the big side. It's hard to say because there isn't a character to really judge the scale, but this is an easy fix. Keep it up!

pool2.jpg
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks peeps

TelekineticFrog- realy want something that can bend the stamps but i will look into that cheers

katzeimsack- already using it, just as i got rid of all mapping to speed up the lighting process it dosnt show, also is HDR yay.

maltuna- know what you mean im keeping an eye on it, difficult to judge as the ref had nothing to scale it by and i dont really know much about massage tables, its about a metre high which i thought was about right, but as i said will make a judgement on it later and it is an easy fix
    Jet_pilot- that pic was half way through the shrpening process was the finished peice also to jello-like?
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this is a test for something close to final quality, (no AA in this render) and as you can see its using Directional Lightmapping

doorlighttest-1.jpg
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok ive not forgot about this, spent a lunch time getting it in engine, on 360 at 60 fps

light1-2.jpg
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
  • SHEPEIRO
  • Oneil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awesome work man.
  • Popeye9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popeye9 polycounter lvl 15
    2 anyone got a good tip for stamping along curves, esp the curved wood parts in this door im currently just stamping straight ones round a corner, if i try and make the stamp curved it makes it alot less usable (ie scale has to stay the smame etc) just wandering if anyones come across any good ways of doing this

[/quote]

I would either take and build a alpha in photoshop or take the whole thing in with zapplink and then use the texture as a mask to inflate. You could try using the directional brush in projection master but the alpha tends to get smoothed where it overlaps. Or all else use one of the sculpting tools sculpt the grain around the curve. The radial symettery will base off the center of the model so you sculpt on a new plane then place with projection master. If you mask the parts you dont want effected then drop when you pick it up it will only apply to unmasked area.

Hope that helps:)
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    maltuna wrote: »
    This is looking awesome shep. One thing that stood out to me is the size of the benches, seem to appear on the big side. It's hard to say because there isn't a character to really judge the scale, but this is an easy fix. Keep it up!

pool2.jpg

I´m wondering, SHEPEIRO, did you use a shader to make these reflections and refractions on the water?
    Also, are these screenshots being seen in high quality viewport or you have some what plugins to show these normal maps?

Thanks
  • Saidin311
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saidin311 polycounter lvl 11
    Sorry Shep, I might have missed. What engine are you rendering in? I thought originally it was UE3.

Your process explanation is amazing. Very inspiring and informative for noobs like me!

edit: Likely I'm going to bombard you with a million questions, but one big one. Do you think you could have achieved more variety by creating 2 different pillars? I noticed, because I've been following your workflow that the pillars are obviously repeated (especially in that head on shot). With a couple varieties could you have broken it up even more? Especially with the number of pillars in the entire scene.
  • frubes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the lighting is looking fantastic shep. Maybe in the last image you posted there is too much of a redish tinge to the light in places. Most notably the room off to the right of the image. I guess because the stuff is not textured (dont know if this was just a modelling thing?) then its hard to tell if that will be so noticeable. The only other thing that stands out are the really over exposed pillars in the front of the image.

Other than those small crits the project is coming along really nicely. What are your budgets for the final environment? I noticed you where sitting at around 80k earlier but are you planning on adding much more?

Good work.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    katzeimsack- already using it, just as i got rid of all mapping to speed up the lighting process it dosnt show, also is HDR yay.

you're doing this in unreal3? may i ask how?
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    This is looking really nice! I can see that when all the texturing is done, and everything is lit, it will look even better.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cheers, folks

Saidin311,neox- works engine

Saidin311- funny you say that there is space for variation on the map for the pillar and arch i just havent got round to sculpting it.

frubes, i disagree mate, the over exposure is correct, and one of the ace things about HDR. if i looked directly at those spots they would become correctly exposed and the rest would be dark, makes the scene much more lively.
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking awesome so far, how'd you get it running on the 360?
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    first pass on texturing the dome, bricks need a fair bit of work not enough variation

domeTextured.jpg

domeTextured2.jpg

domeTextured3.jpg
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    Hey Shepeiro, that´s comming awesome, as you said its a first pass i wont say it needs some more detail, but for a first pass this is good!

One question, how do you made that refraction shader working inside maya?
  • Saidin311
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saidin311 polycounter lvl 11
    For a first pass this looks pretty hot to me. I love those support pieces.

How did you get such a nice seamless marble texture transition between that main dome piece and the flat pieces with the wood beams? (I'm assuming they are separate pieces?)
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the support beam peice (from top of arch to bottom of dome) has an alpha in it to join them perfectly
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    bugo wrote: »
    Hey Shepeiro, that´s comming awesome, as you said its a first pass i wont say it needs some more detail, but for a first pass this is good!

One question, how do you made that refraction shader working inside maya?

LOL, please SHEPEIRO, tell me, i already asked you 3 times ;)
  • svcoyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very nice work. Its coming along very nicely!

Man i just used nice in 2 different sentences. Im lame.
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    this is looking awesome!! The shapes and lighting are excellent, Its a lot of fun to check out the progression on your work, its very inspiring

Here's a little nitpick, its to take with a grain of salt since Im really having a hard time finding something I would improve in this enviro :

Brick is more likely to develop moisture on then marble, so if possible try to add more greens in the bricks and less greens in the marble, maybe something more brownish on the marble. Right now even tho I see some greens in the bricks I would try to push the contrast just to make the difference between materials more noticable
    Continue the great work Shepeiro!
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks, im struggling tonight not sure if its tiredness or a lack of imagination but i wanted to "stain these plaster sections with blue dye but im not feeling it at the mo, kind of looks good materially but the design is looking a bit fecked may scrap it

dometextFLATscreen.jpg

some flats

dometextFLAT.jpg
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    ahhh some fresh wind,- remember my ranting at first regarding specular and materials,- now its already getting into my personal taste.
    I'd suggest play more with the color- painted parts,- maybe some painted ornaments (lines, zig zag, donts, mosaic, masked shapes (like vectors)).
    The Alpha maps are playing out nicely - with a good transition from 1 model to the other one.

A mini rant from my side: (almost not valid) The textures have a somewhat grey- shader, so does the shader/light in the viewport. Blending it more into a color instead of grey (e.g almost grey but a bit brown/ green?). Instead of using multiply and a AO Greyscale map try mix it with gradients or different blend modes.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha was really tired when i posted this last night totally fecked it up, was just very frustrated.

the greyness is from the dye overlay- i never use the AO as a multiply (except when i post when half asleep:-) , as you can see from my first pics much nicer and warmer. the lighting i turned white so i could see the texture colours propperly, will go back to original lighting for finals.

and i love materials too but its really the design that im struggling with. give it another bash tonight when im more awake, thanks for the tips
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey little updtate, made a start on the orange tree, done the leaves and low poly trunk texture is temp as im gona zbush it tom.

tree2.jpg
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Looks great shep!. It's funny, this is a great example of how presentation is key. I admit I was underwhelmed by your quick model screengrabs, but that in-engine shot of the pillars is looks really cool. Keep up the goodness :)
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slum- know what you mean about the presentation, but im always aware of wasting time presenting something ive not finished yet. esp with the little time i have and im always posting last thing at night ;-)

anyways
    marmalade
    oranges.jpg

orangetree.jpg
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    nice style choise,- now it gets a interesting and fresh direction. Can you post some wires regarding the mapped leave faces?
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • misterboogie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    misterboogie polycounter lvl 11
    I love that orange tree courtyard! Very inspiring.:)
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Great work on those trees. Pro shit. The individual leaves look like they are modeled separately. I guess the normals help there. Crazybump?
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cheers guys, enjoying the slight change of direction making this little courtyard.

cody- HP modelled
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    Love the tree man! How about did you go about making it? Always find it difficult to make those bloody things look good~
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    updato-

did an effects pass, and just one more HP to generate woot.

all effects are animated, including dust motes and clouds in rays, caustics, water ripples, candle flames

FX1.jpg

FX2.jpg

FX3.jpg

FX4.jpg

FX5.jpg

FX6.jpg
  • Generalvivi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Generalvivi polycounter lvl 14
    That's looking awesome shep! keep it up dude! :D
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matroskin polycounter lvl 11
    fantastic!! You managed to have that steamy-relax-foggy atmosphere that a ancient bathhouse would have as far as i imagine it :) Very inspiring, cool surfaces and lighting.

The lighting is very real here and it reminds me of a tech demo of Enlighten engine:
    http://www.geomerics.com/enlighten-media.htm

Maybe the caustics are too strong, i think they could be a bit more subtle on those pillars and walls, especially on the ceiling cause it very high.
    Btw, is it an animated shader that can do caustics pattern? How did u get that effect?

edit: also since the water has a greenish tint the caustics could have that tint as well.
  • Sa74n
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sa74n polycounter lvl 18
    wow. this is coming along great! it will be an excellent portfolio piece once finished :) can't wait for the next updates!
  • michi.be
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    michi.be polycounter lvl 17
    really awesome work. :)