Home General Discussion

Report problems with the new forums here

Replies

• Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    we need some logo contests. and the best ones could rotate or something. here's something i did.
    lol2ot5.jpg
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    That's a really cool logo, Bitmap :)
    Although I think the whole text as green would be better. White seems a bit overpowering.

Also the _wide scheme seems a bit broken at the moment, the post with the image in is being scaled more narrowly, and all the posts with just text are staying really wide even if I resize my browser window - the _wide version should only allow itself to be as wide as the browser window, surely?
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ups. didnt noticed i was logged in has polydev. lol. my mistake
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    what THIS shit FIX MA ENGLISH, HELLO!
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    aaaaaagh, too much vista not enough dirt, we ned a coffee stain on that
    logo

logo.jpg
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lolo wut? this is the best april's 1st ever
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    qubism should bust out some pcount graphism for the logo
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i demand a logo context after domwar.
    we could even turn the logo contest into a gameart contest. 3d logo in lowpoly style. could be hot
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    things are different

i can format sexy times hooray!
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    The forums seem to show I have a new post after I've replied to something. There are no new posts in the forum, except my new reply.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Hmm, MoP - wide angle is set to 100% browser width. I tested it on my end and its scaling for me. As well, images seem fine???

Which browser are you using?
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm using ie7 right now and I'm getting horizontal scrollbars (1152x864)
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Which theme? And whats your screen resolution?
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Resolution was 1152x864
    The theme is whatever the default it. I haven't changed/selected anything

edit: Actually, I should be clearer... its fine when viewing the rest of the board, but I'm getting thrown off by Bitmaps image.
    Sorry about that, it's probably not what you were looking for.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Yah, I was going to say its the image thats making it larger. We're actually going to be running some software that'll automagically resize images to fit within the 1024x width and supply a sexy method of viewing the full-size image.

thx notman.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    np... I web admin on the side, and I know how much of a pain the browser compatibility can be. I forgot about the image offset when I replied to it initially :)
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Another "too busy to look" bug... apparently my favorite / subscribed threads didn't carry over.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    i like the new colors and layout. gonna miss black and green, but i'll get used to it :)
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    Hate it. Please change it back :(
  • Waz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Waz polycounter lvl 17
    I like the theme of the new site, but hate how much extra space it takes up between posts, you can read like 3 or 4 posts and then have to scroll again. Move the avatar name and all that stuff back on the left side, so much better for browsing and reading.
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    I wanna thank the guys who have been working on the upgrade first of all. I'm sure it wasn't easy.

But yea it doesn't feel like home at all right now, I like the old forum better. Its feels like its gone from underground and unique to generic as hell. Looks like Tweak and Gameartisans.

I'm not sure if its just me, but every page seems 5 miles long now also. The grey is a little depressing, more shade of black and green would be nice. But yea

Maybe it'll grow on me, maybe not.

EDIT: Senior Member, hahaha. I take it all back lol j/k
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Hate it. Please change it back :(

Astro, this is exactly the kind of thing that isn't helping. Not at all.

Everyone: We're looking for bugs on the new design and any suggestions for improvement to it. The old one is gone. Polycount hasn't changed, we're all the same people posting all the same things. The coat of paint is new, once the smell goes away you'll like it, I promise.

Just please please please if you or anyone else is going to post in this thread try and keep it constructive and actually help us out. Cool?

I'm working on a theme that fits the layout of the old page more where the username/info is grouped on the left and the post is on the right so this horizontal method can be nixed.

• Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Every thread I reply to, seems to get stuck into my subscribed threads list. I really do not like that. If I got into my user CP I get a huge list of threads, like a whole other forum. :(
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    AdamBrome wrote: »
    Astro, this is exactly the kind of thing that isn't helping. Not at all.

Well, I really don't know what else to say. It wasn't broken before, why try and "fix" it. I like the old look better. So, IMHO, if you want suggestions on how to "improve" it, then my suggestion is to change it back to the way it was before.

Asmuel wrote: »
    But yea it doesn't feel like home at all right now, I like the old forum better. Its feels like its gone from underground and unique to generic as hell. Looks like Tweak and Gameartisans.

QFT. I Agree, 110%
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Vassago wrote: »
    Every thread I reply to, seems to get stuck into my subscribed threads list. I really do not like that. If I got into my user CP I get a huge list of threads, like a whole other forum. :(

Poke around your options to see if you have an auto subscribe set. I'll look in to it also.
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Hi all!

Thanks for the upgrade, I'm sure it has been alot of work in the making and it's great to have a search tool that feels like the future!

I have TONS of suggestions tho! And not only 'please bring back the old look' ones. Would you fancy paintovers/layout suggestions? Nothing crazy, just some recoloring that would make it easier to read. Mostly, getting rid off all them fancy bevel lines everywhere :P At the moment it's like a perfect summary of what I hate about the internet! (read : visual clutter)

Ill make that paintover no matter what anyways :P

Also ... please make the wide theme as default.

And as for the tagline ... I always finds them pointless in movie titles. So if we REALLY need one (who decides we HAVE to have one anyways...) please please make it 'It's a constant costume party'. To me that's the true meaning behind these boards.

Good luck you all!
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    Make a list at the beginning of this thread of the features in discussion, so we'll know what has been addressed already and what is going to change.

"Old theme is gone"? u can always change it. Ideally, there should be a pole thread with as many features voted as possible.

Personally, i think that:
    -I really liked clicking the last-poster name and get bumped to his post. Don't need user info, it should be accessed from inside a thread.
    -The old school logo and style was much cooler than this in-the-middle-highlight logo style u see everywhere these days a-la apple. The 3 squares make no sense to me either (what is this nurbscount?)
    -VG art resource&community is another commercial bit i'd scrap.
    -Old smilies were cooler, the salivating dude rocked
    -NO SMILEY LOGO
    -Logo contest= absolutely.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    I agree about the tagline. it makes us look like gameartisanschatsociety-artist.orgcomnet, and polycount has never whored for members and publicity that way. I understand (and disagree with, but i digress) the reasons, for marketing, but polycount doesn't exactly need to be marketed. We're ten years strong without any kind of glitzy branding, and could stay that way. And if you can't puzzle 'game art community' out of 'polycount' you don't really need to post in the forums.
  • clee101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    clee101 polycounter lvl 18
    I really wish the avatars will come back. Also, the rating system where if you posted 1000 times, you become a polycounter.. and also putting our logo at the top along with "POLYCOUNT"
    Other than that, everything is kool.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Pior - yes, PLEASE DO! I really really want/need some overpaints. Please please please!

shotgun - We'll work on the smiley's of course. Baby steps. Logo contest is a grand idea but I reckon it should happen after the War is over. The 3 dots were to make the O look like a quad :( haha..

SupRore - cool, no tagline is a good suggestion. that's not up to me to decide though so lets let the boss men make that call.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    For those who're being subscribed to every post they make check this setting and change it to what you'd like.

User CP -> Edit Options -> Default Thread Subscription Mode

• Laheen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Laheen polycounter lvl 18
    Where Am I, I Don't Know Where I Am.

T_____t
  • steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    Woo!! finally! Looks great and I look forward to seeing new life out of this board :)
    Nice job guys
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions wrote: »
    possibly making a character in the polycount theme with the colors, and now have nothing to reference...anyone have a link to a full-size screenshot of the boards from recently?

http://boards.polycount.net/showpost.php?p=799391&postcount=29
    The link text was fubared by the download, but the colors are accurate.

Can we have multiple skins to choose from in the CP? I don't recall the really-old gamespy board ever having a choice, but the more-recent ubb board did have skins. They just all sucked (except for the default!).
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Eric, couple pages back I explained how to switch the theme. For now though its just a layout switch (to widescreen, like the old boards).

New ones will likely come online.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool, thanks man. I guess the choice is sticky?
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    pior wrote: »
    And as for the tagline ... I always finds them pointless in movie titles. So if we REALLY need one (who decides we HAVE to have one anyways...) please please make it 'It's a constant costume party'. To me that's the true meaning behind these boards.

HAHAHA! Yes!

One thing that bugs me about the new boards that I really liked about the old boards, is the idle timeout. With the old boards, I could log in once in the morning and just leave the FireFox window open all day and just browse the boards at any given point and I'll still be logged in (I don't have my password saved either). With the new boards, there must be like a 5 - 10 minute timeout or something. Saving my password might actually solve this issue, but figured I'd bring it up all the same. I just don't like saving my password on my work PC.
    Once again, good job on the boards, guys.

-caseyjones
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Theeeere you go. I just played with the main thread looks, not the header or anything. forgot to add the quick reply button but that's an easy fit.

pc_redesign_small.gif

Also ... Polycount Green is not Lime Green! Proof!
    pccolors.gif
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Casey - 8 hours good enough? Updated :)

Pior - nice! Once I get the vertical spacing implemented, with the help of Vito!, I'll try this out for sure. Kudos!
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Adam, feature request for you. We currently have the short list of smileys on the right for the posts, it'd be nice to have an extended list.

On the corvetteforum, when you go to post, you see a page like this:
    http://studioflaagan.com/temp/forum_post.jpg

If you click on the "more" link you get a pop-up window of all available smileys and the text they're spawned with:
    http://studioflaagan.com/temp/forum_smileylist.jpg

Also, bug I've noticed:
    You can't do alt-text for a link or image, and if you manually try to insert it, the post will make all text after that link into part of the link.
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Also! The 'UserCP - FAQ - Members List ...' links get all broken when I ctrl+ the text in Firefox.

Good luck!
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    flooj, good fine. I'll look in to how they're doing that. It's probably a custom add-on. This sort of thing is low priority at the moment.

pior - yikes! thanks for that find.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    yes yes yes.. can´t wait for the new theme.. (pior´s idear is already very nice)

and the auto-logout thing is buggin me too!!
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    I'm not having any issues with the autologin, but then again, my passwords are stored.

I actually like the new logo, but if you wanted it to rotate, that's really easy to do (I've done it myself). You simply get a little script called rotate.php, put it in a folder with all the images and then instead of linking directly to an image, you link to the script. It randomly selects an image from the folder. That's ho the backgrounds and headers are done on my site.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Eeek! I just noticed that I'm "Rick_Stirling" now and not "Rick Stirling". I hope I can change that in the control panel.
  • Vito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vito polycounter lvl 18
    Alright, old URLs should all redirect to their new ones. Things that don't have a redirect go to the home page.

If you find a URL that should work but doesn't, or goes to the home page when it should go somewhere else, please post it here.
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome work all of you!
    I just wanted to note the new posts tag isn't working as well, it's showing most things unread eventhough I read them. Alterative old-style-polycount skin would be amazing, mad props if you can pull that off, I'm just not so ready yet to let it go.
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    Polycount wide makes it heaps better.Still need avatars though.....Also are we now able to embed youtube etc into our posts?
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    love piors design, got to get the green back in there!
    (but no blue and burgandy grumble grumble :))

oh, another vote for It's a constant costume party!
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    OOh, I'd like to suggest turning off the thread preview box in favour of having image previews/thumbnails to the left of posts. I'll hover over a link while browsing and a text box pops up and blocks other titles.. I dunno if its just me that finds it annoying, but the text preview doesnt mean much to me, I'd rather have a picture