Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    I'll have to agree on this one.
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    Seems like this could be another Fallout 3 situation - project starts, realisation that its not working then having to redo work according to the newest tech. Although Fallout changed hands and was originally 2D isometric.

Really liked Duke Nukem 3D - those digitised ladies - phwoar! Hope this doesnt come out until its fun, playable and looks phwoar!
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    I agree with leilei wholeheartedly. Reserve your judgement about gameplay FOR the gameplay. 10 million polygons doesn't equal better gameplay.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Shitty graphics generally translates into shitty games too. You fuck the basics up, you're a lot more likely to fuck everything else up too.

[/ QUOTE ]

What? It's not like this is the Two Worlds FPS is it

So who cares if they didn't apply sepia tone/sharpen/hdr enough on the promotional material, Duke3d didn't have quite the top graphics when it came out either and it was a fun blockbuster title at the time.

Keyword here is fun. Most of its assets were completed in 1994 and 1995 and the remainder was spent on level design and making things fun in the last 8 months of development. With DNF taking 2 years for that stage i'm hoping that i'tll blow all these lackluster so called "Game of the Year" games out of the water.

There are some of us who buy a game because it is fun and not because it strives to be the prettiest snowflake on the shelf.

[/ QUOTE ]

If a game looks like shit, theres a good chance there really isnt very good direction in the art. Which means its likely the team as a whole isnt very well organized and that could easily lead to a mishmash of shit thrown together gameplay wise just as the art seems to be. I dont see why this would be such a crazy opinion to have.
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    The only graphics that matter in this game are the quality of the strippers.
  • cochtl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cochtl polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    The only graphics that matter in this game are the quality of the strippers.

[/ QUOTE ]

A heavy handed, "agreed" crazy.gif
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd also say Duke's wonky musculature.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    looks != fun.

you guys are chodes.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    looks != fun.

you guys are chodes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Every retard that says this seems to forget that shity graphics doesnt equal fun games, most games that come out and look like shit, also play like shit. Sure you can find plenty of examples of fun games that look like ass, but i can find you even more examples of games that look AND play like ass. So stop acting like there is some magical scale somewhere weighing out graphics vrs gameplay. Its simple, if your dev team is incapable of making good or consistant graphics, theres a good chance they really are not going to make the most fun game ever either.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, if you fuck up the graphics and make Duke look like a square-headed chimp, then you probably don't care enough about Duke to make the gameplay great either.

I'll reserve final judgment when I see the release version though.
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    i won't be surprised if in a few months we see headlines of "Duke Nukem Goes Gold; 3DRealms Closes Doors."
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    I don't even know why gameplay is even a discussion in this thread seeing as we haven't seen any yet. We have the teaser and the art from the teaser. Whether or not this is any indication that this is final mesh or not, it hasn't been confirmed yet. But if 3D Realms are willing to release this as an official teaser, one can only assume this is final mesh.
    Those of you that are saying, well just because the graphics aren't great, it will make up with the gameplay. I bet you're the type that plays Nethack, and claims its the best fucking game in all the universe.
    We are a game art forum, lets critique the art based solely on the art. Plus Duke3D looked fucking ace for its time, it was what originally drew me into the game. The gameplay kept me there (and the mapping).
    I'm not impressed with the quality of the teaser, but stupidly enough, I'm a Duke fanboy so I'll still buy the game when its out.

-caseyjones
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Was insanely underwhelmed by the level of quality of the teaser. Yes, it's a teaser, but why would the first thing you release be this low production value shit? This is definitely some employees goin "hey lets make a silly little clip in a few hours!". The in-game assets look like Doom 3 level engine assets with bad art direction and skill level put into their creation. From a visual standpoint, the teaser and assets showcased in it were a complete dissappointment.

Still, if the gameplay is anywhere near as sweet as the first trailer was, I'll definitely check it out!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Post deleted by Vig
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The hair on dukes head bugs me, I think its the straight line running up his forehead and right up into his 1bit hair line. The rest of it looks ok. The arms being mirrored doesn't bother me, I find it hard to believe that people knock it for mirrored arms but don't care about the hair? If you're going to go to the trouble of modeling a tongue, teeth and gums them damn it spend a few more polys/opacity maps on the hair. At the bare min, indent the hair line a tiny bit.

It might be fun, I need something other then a teaser to tell me that tho.

I've never been a big fan of Duke. Sure it was neat to save strippers and hear lines ripped from Army of Darkness but it passed as a game I really didn't care that much about.
  • Zephir62
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zephir62 polycounter lvl 12
    Anyone notice how his biceps/other muscles contract and deform while lifting the weights? If this is in-game engine footage, I don't think this quite possible at an efficient level in gaming yet.. unless they have a break-through animation system lined up.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eh, doesn't look that bad.

My love for Duke is still there, but really, at 10 years, the gameplay better be solid as all hell.
  • cyborgguineapig
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cyborgguineapig polycounter lvl 14
    Another reason I dislike visiting polycount, your all too fuckin anal sometimes. I sure as hell got a great big laugh out of this for its comedic factor, if your sitting their watching the video frame by frame fretting about symmetrical veins in characters (which btw only began to be unacceptable in characters, what? like 2 years ago?)You must also be the type who find it a surprise that many of your latest and greatest games that have just come out in the past two weeks don't make use or even calls to specular maps in their materials to save on resources.. Gasp the horror!
  • demoncage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    demoncage polycounter lvl 18
    i actually checked out the trailer for the first time today, and it doesn't look horrendous, but still, you can't discredit people's negative responses to a game that has been hyped for 10 years and based on this public glimpse into the product, doesn't boast anything remotely awe inspiring. things like duke's hairline, shitty creature design, and all around unexceptional graphics are not invalid criticisms given the circumstances.
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    looks != fun.

you guys are chodes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Every retard that says this seems to forget that shity graphics doesnt equal fun games, most games that come out and look like shit, also play like shit. Sure you can find plenty of examples of fun games that look like ass, but i can find you even more examples of games that look AND play like ass. So stop acting like there is some magical scale somewhere weighing out graphics vrs gameplay. Its simple, if your dev team is incapable of making good or consistant graphics, theres a good chance they really are not going to make the most fun game ever either.

[/ QUOTE ]

may i remind you of two worlds, to help you realize the difference between "shit graphics" and "aging graphics"
    twoworldscharht2.jpg

compare that to the teaser pic lol, and don't forget your vagisil(r).
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    Well clearly 3D Realms must be doing alright, since they've done better work than the video game legends at Reality Pump.

You know, Reality Pump. The badass top-tier game studio in Poland.

Perfectly valid comparison.
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    Well clearly 3D Realms must be doing alright, since they've done better work than the video game legends at Reality Pump.

Perfectly valid comparison.

[/ QUOTE ]
    As long as we're discussing this with the most basic understanding of relativity. Uh, yeah, it is a valid comparison. Cry some more.
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yes it's a game not a pixar feature film, get over it lol, not likely you'll be staring at yourself in the game other than for the 'damn, i'm looking symmetrical ERR good' moment.
  • coldwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coldwolf polycounter lvl 18
    If I can't interact with every single fucking polygon that sticks out, I'm going to throw eggs at the 3d Realms HQ.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    this argument sucks

more topless chicks, one-liners and aliens pls
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    what, I thought the new Duke looked cool. So he is a square jawed chump?- but yeah duke was always a square jawed chump.

Duke nukem was the first game I really played back in 96 or 97 whatever.
    I preferred it over quake or doom as it took itself less seriously and was pure fun to play.
    great sound fx too.
    I for one was never bothered about a next gen version , but will give it a try 'if' it comes out
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Point is that if I'm not already too old by then I will certainly still give this a try.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    i better be able to kick alien pigs into the ground and feed them pipe-bombs..
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    yes it's a game not a pixar feature film, get over it lol, not likely you'll be staring at yourself in the game other than for the 'damn, i'm looking symmetrical ERR good' moment.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry, can you repeat that? It's hard to understand what you're saying with George Broussard's dick in your mouth. Lollerskatez.

The defense against the bad art in this teaser is that the DNF gameplay will be what makes it good. Gameplay has nothing to do with this teaser, of course. We haven't seen any gameplay, just the art, so all there is to debate is the art. Moving the goalposts in an argument equals automatic defeat. Roflcopters, HAND. Also, Nazis! IBL.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Exactly, when we get some gameplay footage or GASP a demo, we'll piss moan and whine about that too, especially if its fun.
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    I'm sorry, can you repeat that? It's hard to understand what you're saying with George Broussard's dick in your mouth. Lollerskatez.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Thank you for the personal insult. Given enough time and less thought for civilized discussion this thread will degenerate into a "YOU SUCK YOU ARE ADOLF HITLER" with this accomplishment.

It doesn't hurt to have faith in DNF. After all it's just a game, not Bin Laden or Paris Hilton.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I still can't understand what you're saying, so I ran your post through the Babelfish cockgobblerese filter. All it came back with was "George, you're so big!" and lots of slurping sounds.

Hah, I kid! Babelfish really doesn't have a translator for cockgobblerese, I just made that up. But there has been a good bit of antagonistic douchbaggery in this thread and I was feeling left out.

ANYWAY... I reserve judgment on the game as a whole. That's the sensible thing to do. I do not reserve judgment on the teaser, because I think it reflects very poorly on 3D Realms. It's not that the assets themselves don't hit a specific standard of quality; it's that 3D Realms is a company with a gigantic ego and a perpetual PR nightmare that still hasn't learned better. Duke Nukem 3D came out when I was 19, and I'll be at least 32 years old before they release Duke Nukem Forever. You suggest having faith and I'd love to, but all I is see a company with seemingly unlimited time and money trying to "tease" me with mediocre art attached to vague memories twelve years past. It's hard to have faith in a company that continues to have so much yet do so little.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    just for those people keeping track at home, this discussion is a reminder on why contentious topics get closed, by the way. DNF is about the speed of people on this board, abortion and religion and such are far better left untouched.
    no, i'm not going to close this thread. continue with your pettiness! laugh.gif
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    Despite beeing an arrogant asshole i agree with Vermilion, but i also will wait to see if the game is fun, if it is i can look past unpolished art.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Come on, you know you laughed when you got to "cockgobblerese." tongue.gif
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    I did smile.gif but your still an idiot ahahha !
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My work here is done!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Come on, you know you laughed when you got to "cockgobblerese." tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Actually, I laughed when I made this...
    DontFeedVerm.jpg
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you keep that up, I'll have to start a vanity thread just like Per and nobody wants that...
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    After keeping people waiting this long they should have came with something stronger. That's all.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    I love when people hate the haters. The cycle of hate must not be STOPPED!!
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I HATE YOU! I hate the people that love the people that hate the people that hate
  • Motz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Motz polycounter lvl 12
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Thank you for the personal insult. Given enough time and less thought for civilized discussion this thread will degenerate into a "YOU SUCK YOU ARE ADOLF HITLER" with this accomplishment.

It doesn't hurt to have faith in DNF. After all it's just a game, not Bin Laden or Paris Hilton.

[/ QUOTE ]

You of all freaks here should know it's text over the internet. Your just using the word 'personal' to demean his reaction to your posts, and lower him in public on a character basis. So technically you are a hypocrite.

I lolled hard at Verms response, and doubly at the terrible two worlds shot. Thank you both, it was more entertaining than the DNF trailer.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Can't we have a discussion without it descending into childish name calling just once?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]CDProjekt are Polish and the Witcher is one of the nicer looking titles around at the moment. Nationality doesn't excuse bad art practices.

[ QUOTE ]
    I bet you're the type that plays Nethack, and claims its the best fucking game in all the universe.

[/ QUOTE ]Any game that allows you to murder friendly NPCs and process and pack their corpses into tins for later consumption is well deserving of the title of Best Fucking Game in the Universe.
    This isn't an argument about rudimentary art though. If the game still looked like it was running off the UT97 engine then it'd be valid, but what we've got here is a game utilising all the bells and whistles while featuring some clear and pretty basic flaws in its art and entirely soulless art direction. I'm not worried by symmetrical veins, thats a silly critique, but the mangled UVs on the belt, and more importantly the weak looking assualt trooper with its apparently missing chunks of normal map and the lack of diffuse on the Octobrain? Those are issues which are worthy of a little moping.
    Even if we ignore the technical issues, as they'll probably disappear by the time the real trailer is released in a couple of months (allegedly) there still that art direction. I'd happily look past some crappy art if the game felt right.
    pcop.gif
    This here is an enemy with personality. He's comical. He embodies the cheesiness of what Duke 2 and 3d were all about. Now look at the new Pig Cop. He's a brown monster in metal armour who seems to have had all of his personality surgically removed. He's gone from a character who was deliberately designed to contrast against the dark Doom and Quake style to being just another generic entry in that far too common artistic direction.
    Its a sad thing.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    Jackablade - the teaser I saw had about a second of a pig cop, going "raargh". Which one did you see?
  • Slash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slash polycounter lvl 19
    Hai guise! Remember that one poly off of duke's deltoids = one more poly for stripper boobs. I'm sure they are taking important issues like these into consideration.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Jackablade - the teaser I saw had about a second of a pig cop, going "raargh". Which one did you see?

[/ QUOTE ]
    This one:
    16116962wn2.th.jpg
    Fair point. I'm just so bloody sick of this next-gen equals brown and green textures and a humourless approach. Perhaps I'm getting worries over nothing. Maybe it'll be all pretty colours and personality out the wah-zoo when we see a real trailer. Who knows. All I can go on is what I see, and what I see is not something that I like.
    *pout*
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    yeah same here, I really thought that after TF2 and portal people would at least try to bring back some color in games.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    i like this here pig cop design better:

pigcop.jpg
    bandwithleech.jpg
  • Arkus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arkus polycounter lvl 17
    I really think, that duke need some redesign... Those black sun glasses, and the haircut remainds me the 90's to much... God, it's 10 years - world changed a lot.

And please don't point argument that two worlds have shitty grafic becouse it was made in Poland - The Witcher was made in Poland (CD Projekt RED) and Painkiller also (People can fly). You can't compere this two, becouse the amount of cash they spend on Two Worlds is really small compering to the budgget of Duke...

But, I'm from Poland and I can say that we have some really big talents here smile.gif