Home General Discussion

Duke Nukem Forever

Replies

• dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    See Per, this is why you don't go out and get uptight in threads like the "Rob Liefeld sucks" one. When you post funny asshat comments later it makes you look like you just talk shit for the sake of talking shit.

Which you do. Just other people here can't handle it and they spaz on you.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    http://www.shacknews.com/ teaser up on shack start hating on it punks
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bargain bin

Oh wait, Serious Sam is in the bargain bin! Gimme!
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    wow that was worth the wait. lol.
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    awesome guys smile.gif I'm pretty excited about playing Duke again. I think their is a huge market for games that don't take themselves too seriously and are all about the fun. I mean I am sure there will be a story blah blah blah but the heart of duke has always been the catch phrases, ass kickin and general political incorrectness! laugh.gif
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    I liked the trailer. I could honestly care less that theres 'no gameplay' when videos are made using the actual in game assets.

It only really annoys me when it's all CG... which isn't done too often anymore (not compared to how it used to, at least)

that being said.. let's get a date, platform, and some in game shots
    smile.gif
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    very specularly... even his jeans..
  • ElysiumGX
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    http://www.shacknews.com/images/image-o-...694dab5485e.jpg

frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha god damn that looks fucking terrible. They should have just let this game die a long time ago.
  • foreverendering
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    foreverendering polycounter lvl 12
    I thought the trailer was looking pretty cool!

Duke3d was one of my first PC games (along with Descent) so I'm a little biased to both franchises, so with that disclaimer here's my take :

There are definitely some issues on the model... I noticed them right away (belt buckle & knuckles were most glaring UV distortion mistakes that I was surprised to see).

But honestly, the thing about Duke is that if you remember the original games, they weren't about having the most amazing graphics ever. They were popular because they were incredibly interactive for their time, and just plain fun with plenty of humor!

So, I'm not looking to DNF for the next great graphical eye-candy experience - I'm looking for a really fun, interactive game that brings back old favs of mine like the jetpack, shrink ray, holoduke, and pipe bomb.

I realize that, at this point, there's nothing to do BUT critique the model because that's really all we can see at this point. And that it's been so many years most people expect perfection. But as long as the game comes out and its fun and a real tribute to Duke3d, I'll overlook the imperfections and buy the game.
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 15
    That trailer was very tasty. Oh Duke, you are my rock & roll man-tasy. For those who were expecting it to be so majestic, it'd give them a fucking puppy, I understand, Duke always did have more balls than anyone here. Easy to make you jealous.
  • Motz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Motz polycounter lvl 12
    Well, whats the last 3D game this company has made? Duke Nukem Mobile? I think they were affiliated with Prey, but only as a publisher.

They really don't have the current gen experience under their belt as a company. At least not in the amounts of Epic, ID, Crytek, etc. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The trailer looked like a bargain bin game produced by JoWood. The duke model doesn't have any character, and the face/hair modeling is worse than the mirroring you people keep bitching about. The lighting looks to be the doom3 engine, but the way it's implemented is terrible. Pig cop model looked pretty good though we've seen that before in stills.
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    ahahaahahaahahahahaahahaha

10 years LOL. thats a shame.

Cant all do a Tf2 hey
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    fucking quicktime wont play properly frown.gif
    edit: oh well can't watch the hi rez but i checked out the streaming version... Fuck it I'll bite. Come get some!
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    umm, not amazed or nothin, but Im still getting this game when it comes out. Im sure it'll be loads of fun. Who the fuck cares of the gfx arent perfect.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    hell yeah doom 3 plastic crap \o/
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    yeah kind of amateurish frankly, maybe not the best idea for a couple of late nights' work be the FIRST thing people see of your new game in 7 years. as i posted elsewhere, DNF is probably going to feel like the 13 year old version of yourself traveling forward in time to your current self to give you your action figures in perfect condition, also a VHS copy of Robocop too. maybe that's what we need in FPS right now, though. no pretentions to story or what not.

reasonable hopes for the finished product's fun level, though.
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    I wasn't going to say anything but I guess I will. I modeled that duke character nearly 4 years ago.* Way to make a guy feel like shit. frown.gif

*no i didn't.
  • TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMadArtist polycounter lvl 12
    I care less about the graphics and more about the attitude and playability of the game. Whether it has the same Duke feel. That's more important than any super realistic cg work.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    Man, I really don't get what thinking goes on at 3DR. All of the jokes aside, what made anyone there believe that releasing this was a good idea? I didn't see anything that gets me interested in knowing more about this game. I did see some very average art assets and snippets of forgettable in-game footage.

Imagine you have never heard of the Duke Nukem franchise. When you see this teaser, does it make you excited to find out more? It doesn't work for me. And when I factor in what I do know about Duke, I wonder how 3DR can have seemingly unlimited time and money to develop this game, yet they aren't able to generate more impressive content.
  • kendo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kendo polycounter lvl 18
    more puke than duke, i thought the 2001 trailer showed alot of promise so hopefully they can turn it around.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    oddly enough, while playing the last duke nukem game my jaw locked shut. i panicked and tore it open rather painfully and for the next ten years whenever i opened my mouth wide it would come out of socket.

duke nukem FTW!
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    003462.jpg
    003463.jpg
    003464.jpg
    003465.jpg

wow, that was worth the wait...
  • demoncage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    demoncage polycounter lvl 18
    don't be too negative, you might postpone production another 10 years.

on a side note, that alien brain looks like complete ass. and what the fuck is up with duke's hair...face, ass, shutup.
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    everything looks coated in shellac.. so they are using the Doom3 engine i take it?
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    They're using unreal engine 2.0 heavily modified.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Half-Life 1 looked quite dated when it came out, too tongue.gif

Seriously guys, the graphics arn't the greatest, but good enough that the game overall could be quite enjoyable.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Yeah, it should at least be as fun as Prey, which I enjoyed. Everything might look like wet plastic, but it'll still be fun.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    http://www.shacknews.com/images/image-o-...694dab5485e.jpg

I know duke is silly and fun but this doesnt look like the sort of thing we should be seeing.

hopefully there will be a proper trailer and itll be like the killzone 2 screenshot and we will all go "oh wow it actually isnt that bad at all".
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Seriously guys, the graphics arn't the greatest, but good enough that the game overall could be quite enjoyable.

[/ QUOTE ]

But this is what I don't get - WHY aren't these graphics among the best? When assets look poor, it's generally because the developers lack experience or don't have the time to do it right. 3D Realms has the resources to hire talent, and they sure as hell aren't trying to rush things outthe door, so what gives? Even if the concepts or art direction were lousy, I expect technically solid work. Can someone give me a reason why Duke's hairline looks that bad? It just doesn't seem possible for a game this high-profile to have content that looks this amateurish.

DNF might be tons of fun, won't know til there's something to play, but what I see in this teaser... a decade in the making and they can't get top shelf art? That doesn't give me confidence that they have top shelf design or gameplay either.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    That doesn't look like finished art. Look at the texture on the leg and the super quick mockup head in Ged's shot. Thats a test model. I'd bet my meager income on it. Much of whats in the trailer doesn't look finished art. The squid appears to lack a diffuse texture and theres some nasty stuff going on with the piggy's armour, which isn't entirely evident in Vahl's grab.
    16116962wn2.th.jpg
    This really is just something they threw together for the Christmas party. It shouldn't have been shown to the public.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    yeah look at the alien's gun too, theres a triangle sticking out of it, and it just looks like a big turd. I reckon they're on to it
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    WOW! That trailer was full of all kinds of loss!
    No gameplay footage... There is no game as far as I'm concerned. It was a bunch of dudes putting in a few extra hours after work, and its completely obvious too.

-caseyjones
  • Smirnoffka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Smirnoffka polycounter lvl 17
    Wasn't that fucking bad. Geezus.
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    [ QUOTE ]
    No gameplay footage... There is no game as far as I'm concerned. It was a bunch of dudes putting in a few extra hours after work, and its completely obvious too.

-caseyjones

[/ QUOTE ]

Teaser.

Why is everyone ignoring the word teaser taking the thing as a full trailer? Gotta have some excuse for whiny dead horse beating whineboys to whine about.

Mighty foot engaged.

hopefully soon
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    That shot was a teaser at least...
  • Slainean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slainean polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

-caseyjones

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, but the question is... what are they doing during work hours?
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Just work I'd say
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    I doubt 3D Realms are actually even working on this game. If they are, then great and I will patiently wait another 10 years until its released.

-caseyjones
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    Well think of it this way: If they've been working on this game for 10 years, how in the hell could they possibly hope to merge 10 years of vastly varying assets into a semi-coherent package?

There's just no way. Unless they completely scrapped the project and started over a year or two ago, or they weren't actually working all this time, it is guaranteed to be an absolute mess.

Best case scenario is this teaser is a bluff before they show the real project they've been working on. Most likely scenario? They still have jack shit.
  • TheFrog4u
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheFrog4u polycounter lvl 10
    They didn´t work on this for 10 years.. but 3

"It's basically a restart as the tech changed and we've been on this version of the game since 2004 or so," Broussard said today. "The released media up to this point are not longer relevant other than for curiosity purposes."

So does this statement make things better? I don´t think so.. after 3 years at least the cg stuff should be more finished and polished.. esspecialy what you show to the public.
  • neolith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neolith polycounter lvl 18
    Boy, some of the art looks like ass - the bus that looks like a painted cardbox for example. The graphics look really disappointing. frown.gif
    The only thing I really liked about the teaser was to hear Duke's voice and the music. Aah... the memories...
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    What the hell is wrong with you guys, complaining about the graphics? Thats not what duke is about, It's about blasting aliens and saving babes in loads of levels with billions of fun gimmicks!!
  • Miguelito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Miguelito polycounter lvl 18
    ...thats why they change the engine 1000x times....

Duke looks like crap. Bad model. Ugly animations...
  • Super
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18
    Who cares if Nintendo games look like crap - they're fun fun fun!
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Nintendo games usually look pretty good.
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    [ QUOTE ]
    What the hell is wrong with you guys, complaining about the graphics? Thats not what duke is about, It's about blasting aliens and saving babes in loads of levels with billions of fun gimmicks!!

[/ QUOTE ]
    We haven't really seen any blasting of aliens or saving of babes in loads of levels with billions of fun gimmicks. We've seen graphics that aren't all that impressive. You might have noticed, this forum (for some strange reason) is full of artists, who like to talk about graphics :P
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shitty graphics generally translates into shitty games too. You fuck the basics up, you're a lot more likely to fuck everything else up too.

This can't be the real deal though, it's simply TOO bad to be anything but WIPs or just graphics guys having fun and 3drealms releasing it as a joke.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was 19 years old when Duke Nukem 3D came out, and I'll be at least 32 years old when Duke Nukem Forever comes out. Frankly, I remember as much about Duke as I do about the rest of 1996 - not a hell of a lot. smile.gif
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    [ QUOTE ]
    Shitty graphics generally translates into shitty games too. You fuck the basics up, you're a lot more likely to fuck everything else up too.

[/ QUOTE ]

What? It's not like this is the Two Worlds FPS is it

So who cares if they didn't apply sepia tone/sharpen/hdr enough on the promotional material, Duke3d didn't have quite the top graphics when it came out either and it was a fun blockbuster title at the time.

Keyword here is fun. Most of its assets were completed in 1994 and 1995 and the remainder was spent on level design and making things fun in the last 8 months of development. With DNF taking 2 years for that stage i'm hoping that i'tll blow all these lackluster so called "Game of the Year" games out of the water.

There are some of us who buy a game because it is fun and not because it strives to be the prettiest snowflake on the shelf.