Home General Discussion

Team-Fortress 2 demo this week?

Replies

• SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    Jesus christ I fucking hate steam.
    Why is it that every time the game needs to be updated to run it doesn't do it on its own? And why is that when I manually update the game it hangs?

There's nothing worse than spending money on a product that isn't always readily available. This pisses me off so much. Yes it's beta. But fuck, everyone else in the office is having no issues connecting.
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    I can't play. It's stuck updating at 0%.
    I've tried validating the game files and it does that fine, then goes on to download something. All that goes well. But after all that is done it tries to update again and this is where it hangs.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    call tech support.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    I can't play. It's stuck updating at 0%.
    I've tried validating the game files and it does that fine, then goes on to download something. All that goes well. But after all that is done it tries to update again and this is where it hangs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Close steam.

Go you in to /steamapps/<user name>/ and delete anything with the TF2 name in it.

Then go to /steamapps/ and delete any of the TF2 .cfg files.

Reload Steam.

I had this problem eons ago and I think the above steps was the solution.

If not check the FAQ on Steampowered.com.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    I need more Aussie dudes to get their hands on TF2, I find myself playing on US servers quite often so I can play with Polycounters.
    I recently got the hang of playing as Demoman, which was the class I liked the least. Now its up there as one of my favourite classes.
    I'm completely hopeless as a Spy, I spend more of the round in spectator mode than actually playing.

-caseyjones
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    It is pretty easy to hit the Call Medic button instead of the reload one.

Anyway, useful fact for the day: If you want to change class while you're still alive, go back to your spawn point and you won't have to suicide.
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    I had to copy someone else's TF2 files onto my machine for Steam to patch everything up correctly. This is the 2nd time I've had to do this.

As much fun as the game is... I'm seriously losing patience at how much trouble it is to get the game to even run.

Oh and tip for getting the Medic's attention: Start kicking ass and get your name at the top of the list. smile.gif
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    Soul nice it finally worked out for ya

damnit last night I was dreaming I was a spy on some custom map...
    I dont even play spy... hehe nice dream though.
  • aniceto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aniceto polycounter lvl 18
    i pwn nubs with the new pyro.

also, right click to spin up hwg's gun without firing - good for pie-ing
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Actually, I spam for a medic as a spy. Its nice to sucker that enemy medic and then for his trouble knife kill him.

I also call for medics at full health when I'm a heavy and about to got into a hotspot. Remember, they (medics) can increase your health past the 100% with the healing gun on you so even at full, its good to have a medic.

Maybe they should make a feature where you can't call for a medic within so many seconds of the last shoutout. The closer to 0 health you are, the less you have to wait to call again.

Here is a big tip with overcoming Spys. They cant do the taunts of the character they play. If you can get your team on team damage servers to the taunts to one another if they meet on the map while not in fire fights, its a sure way to spot the spy without using ammo or damaging your teamates.

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    People need to rebind their key that calls for a medic. I get tired (as a medic) of running after someone who is mashing the SHIT out of that "MEDIC!" button and get there to find out the person is either a) not even moving or b) has completely full health or worse, both. If you don't need a medic, don't call for one! SHEESH! ;D

[/ QUOTE ]
    Or they suck and they want you to follow them around as they pretend to be a heavy scout. I wish if you muted someone their medic exclamation wouldn't appear. Or you could auto reply with set comment "press F10 for Immediatemedical attention". OR they could build in a "cry wolf" option that takes health off the spammer if they are at full health.

I find myself being more useful as a background healer than tagging along with any one heavy. Unless that heavy realizes that you can run faster with the shotty out or his dukes up. Nothing worse than standing behind a slow moving heavy for 5min only to see him get sniped the second he steps into combat. I can heal any splash damage in the time it takes you to pull out the shotty or the Gatling. Just hustle up and get your droopy drawers to the front lines ASAP...

[/ QUOTE ]
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I think part of the reason they didnt keep FF on was because you could sticky bomb jump your teams engineers onto various places where they could put turrets and be extremely hard to kill.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I thought sticky bombing jumps other than the demo man himself wasn't working? At least thats a complaint I heard from a friends friend who was annoyed he couldn't get scouts to jump halfway through the level at high speeds through windows and such (I always hated that in the original).

At least from the games I have played I have only seen the demo man being able to sticky himself.

BTW: What is his accent?
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tus clarly Sco'ish.

Or Scottish if you'd prefer.
  • Matabus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matabus polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]

Here is a big tip with overcoming Spys. They cant do the taunts of the character they play. If you can get your team on team damage servers to the taunts to one another if they meet on the map while not in fire fights, its a sure way to spot the spy without using ammo or damaging your teamates.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not such a good idea. If you run up on a spy and test the spy by doing a taunt, it gives the spy plenty of time to run behind you and stab you through your face. Taunts take away all control and can last around 2 seconds (for some classes). I would laugh if someone ran up to me as a demo man and I stabbed him throug hthe back of his face while he was showing off his junk in that awesome taunt anim.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stickybomb jumping is seriously the best thing ever. You get so much air and get thrown into all kinds of weird places. Totally destroys your health though if you have a rough landing.

-caseyjones
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    Would TF2 run on a 1ghz/512 ram/gf FX 5400 ???
    Hahaha I won't even bother downloading if I can't.
    I want to play at home, but man, I REALLY don't want to spend money on a new PC.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Soul your computer sucks.
  • aniceto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aniceto polycounter lvl 18
    i think thats close to the minimum specs...
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    Last night, i found some bugs:
    tfbugs.jpg
    I was in the red team and after a 1min lag my enemys were also in red, the most had also a wrong model and a lot of other scary things happened. confused.gif
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    some sorta workaround to make TF2 maps
    link
    trying to figure it out myself but seeing that it's been almost 8 years since I used Worldcraft(now Hammer) I'm a little rusty.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Holy crap it works! Well, after you spend ages updating the tools and configuring Hammer. I'm surprised how little hammer has changed since the last time I used it.

grrr hunting leaks down agian... need to start over and work on a grid with snaps on. I forgot what a pain making maps is now that everything runs on steam. Some of the folder structures are ridiculous.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the link Justin, I really needed something like this for a small project I'm working on.

-caseyjones
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I had a weird bug last night. I was showing up as "Null Player" in the points and kills. Yet when I typed to my team it showed my name. (Just bumping this above the Halo 3 thread wink.gif
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    I often get everyone showing up as nullname after alt tabbing out and coming back in or getting a lage spike. Just seems to happen when there is some sort of disturbance like that.
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    Anyone else getting lagged when near a Pyro shooting his flamethrower? Is this their way of balancing? hahaha
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    I cant alt+tab and comeback at all. Just a black screen and I have to end the process.

Also had some trouble last night where my screen would go completely distorted and I would have to end process and restart everything.

Great game besides the bugs. Mostly playing either soldier, heavy or medic.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk,
    I had similar problems until I switched to windowed mode or enabled SLI and ran with one monitor. For me when I would alt tab it would make it back from the black screen if I left it alone long enough. I think it was reloading everything. It would also continually min/max every time the mouse moved to my second monitor. Windowed mode and SLI fixed that also.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Interesting, awhile ago when I was playing my second monitor messed up and went concave for awhile. Eventually sorted itself out, didn't think it was connected to TF2 (the monitor is like 7 years old now).
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    IronHawk,
    I had similar problems until I switched to windowed mode or enabled SLI and ran with one monitor. For me when I would alt tab it would make it back from the black screen if I left it alone long enough. I think it was reloading everything. It would also continually min/max every time the mouse moved to my second monitor. Windowed mode and SLI fixed that also.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I also play in window mode for exactly that reason. Sometimes I'm MSN and talking to someone while waiting to respawn and if I get a map change while I'm doing this. My screen goes black. I had initially thought the game crashed, but one time I left it running and it kicked in just as it finished loading the next map.

-caseyjones
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    The blanks screen has always gone away from me. I get it when I alt-tab out.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    SouL.. I get that too, just leave it be and the game will load. It takes about 1.5-2minutes
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Three achievements left to get: 1000 kills (got about 611 so far), defend dustbowl without losing any control points and play in a game with 7 people from my friends list. We have any games with a bunch of PC folk all on at the same time? smile.gif
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hollowmind polycounter lvl 18
    If we want to organize that I'm in. I need that achievement, too.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Lets set up some inter-polycount teams and have a little brawl.
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    Anyone tried messing around with the console commands?

I tried some settings out... but didn't notice a difference after I entered them in. I did manage to make my gun model disappear, though. But the trouble is I never know what weapon I'm holding. The game doesn't have a weapon or ammo-type icon for identification.

Is there a resource somewhere that lists what the commands do? I'd love to mess around with them some more and customize my game a bit.
  • NeoShroomish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you enter the command without a value it usually tells you what it does, else you can just google HL2 console commands and find a few there. A lot of the commands are cheats, so you'll have to start your own server and turn cheats on if you want to use those ;]
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Soul if you do, I think, "help XXXX" where X is roughly what you're looking for it should show you all commands related to your search.

So "help HUD" will list all HUD console commands, etc.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Lupus, there was at first. When everyone was playing on the pcount server. I hopped on there with about 4-5 others. But it seems that not many people go there now frown.gif

I was kicking ass with EQ & Hollowmind the other day though smile.gif
  • NeoShroomish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    find xxxx

that will find commands, idk if that's what you mean.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Caved in and got it too (since it is supposed to run on Linux with Wine really well), but damn... 7GB download?

*Sits there waiting impatiently*

edit: wasn't 7gb, but still a lot (takes 7gb on harddrive though)
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    find xxxx

that will find commands, idk if that's what you mean.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, yes yes. "Find", not "help"
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    hey hey the polycount server is cool, was on there earlier, I get a bit of lag cause Im in the UK but its still playable. What time of day/week do polycounters play on there? Ive only seen a few online...maybe its just the time difference.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Caved in and got it too (since it is supposed to run on Linux with Wine really well)

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats good to know. smile.gif
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Oh and I personally tested it now, and it runs almost perfectly (the hurt sprite shows up as a black square, at least in the german version which is altered in that regard).
    Had lots of fun playing it so far smile.gif
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I need the 7 friends achievement as well, so we should definitely get a massive session in the PC server. The trouble is, I don't even know what the password is. Everyone I've asked has never gotten back to me. Can someone PM what it is?

-caseyjones
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    What is the PC server ip?
  • aniceto
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahaha. That line towards the end with the onslaught of blue team members is gold. I shan't spoil it.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Black cyclops Scot FTW!