Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    FF will be removed from the final version of TF2
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/?p=319

frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

kasjdfjiahseg9834h9ghioweg;zahig

Lets take away server options that have long since been FPS standards. That'll make people happy.
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
    If there is no FF......then there is no competitive play =(
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Yea, FF made competetive clan play a lot more interesting. Im sure someone will come up with a workaround to turn it back on, but thats kinda shitty. Valve's first fuckup on this game.

Luckily I dont play FF a ton.

Also, a cheap thing you can do with ff on. Be a medic, shoot someone will needle gun (on your team). Heal to full health. Repeat. Repeat. You are ubercharged.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I think Rhinokey (aka Quasimofo) likes the Heavy Weapons Guy
    tracyhwg.jpg
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    I'm sure they'll respond to the bitching and community outrage about removing FF and just end up keeping it, or re-implementing it later on down the track.
    But I seriously can't get enough of this game. This is the only game I've ever played where I enjoy playing every class. I even have a specific class I play depending on which map/team I'm on. Though I still play as Soldier the most.
    Has anyone completed all the achievements yet? I'm almost there, about 4 more to go. Two of which I'm sure I'll get during tonight's session after work.

-caseyjones
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I only have a couple achievements left. As it is now, I choose class based on which class I have played the least amount. I want them all to have equal time amounts smile.gif
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Just got the latest TF2 update.

It says that they removed the FF from the game because when its on it causes the game to break in a number of ways.
  • Mister Sentient
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mister Sentient polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Just got the latest TF2 update.

It says that they removed the FF from the game because when its on it causes the game to break in a number of ways.

[/ QUOTE ]

FF also makes the Pyro class a bit impotent. Have to be careful where you flame. There is nothing like opening the valve on a room full of enemies.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    FF makes the spy super powerfull since now you just test fire on all friendlys to make sure they are not spys
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    FF killed my dog! =(
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    I'M BACK.

New Bios chip installed.

SO WHO WANTS TO PLAY?

(Watches as everyone is now into Halo 3 tongue.gif )
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    FF makes the spy super powerfull since now you just test fire on all friendlys to make sure they are not spys

[/ QUOTE ]

So how does FF make them powerful? IMO being able to shoot EVERYONE and find out who's a spy is pretty damn lame. At least they made the character models not emote damage, but its still a dumb way of checking for a spy. At least on FF-on servers you could avoid that level of spam.

• James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    I think of it less as spam and more of a way of saying "Hello friend!"
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    with ff off spys can still lead the server in kills. i imagine with it on. they would be unstopable. unless they gave everyone a "check" ability to spot spies. like if you focus on them for a couple of seconds it tells you they are spys, or of the models were slightly diferent than the normal player characters so you could spot them. Or else you would never be able to turn your back on any friendly player out of fear.

One problem i've noticed in playing the game on internet servers is that the teams are almost always engineres and soldiers, maybe a scout or 2, it seems rare to have doctors or heavys, and if you do see a heavy and a doctor they are always stuck together so every other class are doomed to go without first aid.
  • NeoShroomish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It really depends on the server you go on and who's on it, at one stage there were 5 of us sniping on 2fort which is pretty unusual. I think that spys are fine without FF, they're usually leading anyway, well the good ones are :[
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    The pyro class just seems useless, you have to slowly sap away at enemies, the least they could do is make some sort of screen effect that makes it harder to see when you're on fire, otherwise the pyro takes forever to kill you and you can kill him quickly.
  • MRFlynn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MRFlynn polycounter lvl 18
    I honestly find Pyros an absolute bastard to kill, they kill me so quickly its humiliating ^^
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love the pyro class. It works well in close spaces and in tunnels. You're also a eng's best friend for flushing out spies. Out in the open you're a sitting duck. I think the main thing to remember is that you have other weapons, light them on fire and if they back out of range, light em up with the shotty. Q is right next to W(forward) and it toggles between your secondary/primary weapons. I see too many pyro's trying to chase someone who is faster or out of range, with the flamer.

Pyro's do Area of Effect damage, and Damage Over Time, flame a bunch of people and run. Closer the range the harder the flame hits, you can also get critical hits more often the more you hold the flame on someone. Pumping the flamer trigger can up the chances of getting a crit hit. The axe is pretty powerful but swings slowly so its not a wild mans weapon. Pyros don't do so well on midrange single targets, which is what most people try and kill when they play as a pryo. It is hard to tell how far the flamer shoots, so people waste flame chasing people around doing hardly any extra damage when a few pumps with the shotgun and they'll go down.

Be an opportunists, your a lion and the other team is a pack of wildebeests go for the weak and sickly. Be cunning and surprise people. Go for the meaty medic thats healing the heavy instead of the heavy, because the fire damage goes away when you are healed (or jump in water).

Never underestimate the chaos you can cause, it can be good cover to slip a spy into an area with a lot of engs.

I love charging into a tight room packed with enemies and causing absolute chaos. You might die, but you'll do some hefty damage to just about everyone in there and if you had friends following, you just made their job easier AND you get an assist for each person they take down. It's also fun to hang out around a corner let people pass you then fire em up from behind, and finish them off with a fire axe to the face when they turn around.

Pyro is also good for chasing people out of a tunnel or pushing large groups back. Fire for some reason strikes fear in everyone and they just scatter and back pedal.

Also when people back pedal you can heard them into a corner where you can get in close and aim the flamer at their head, close + cooked noggin = fun times.

I guess if you play it like you would a sniper or soldier, then yeah you're going to suck and die fast hehe.
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hollowmind polycounter lvl 18
    A properly played pyro can kill very quick. You can't just set someone on fire and expect them to die. You have to use the Q key(default)to switch to the shotgun real quick to finish them off. If you can corner someone though in melee range the flamethrower can kill in about a second or 2. You have to make use of your primary and secondary weapons more than any other class imo.

EDIT: What Vig said.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Also very good if a few enemies are sitting on a cap point, charge in there (hiding behind a meatsheild hehe) and light them all up, they'll scatter quickly.
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    Shotgun is the key to the pyro. It shoots fast, does decent damage, and doesn't scatter so much. I'd go so far as to say it's actually his primary weapon, and the flamethrower is more of a situational secondary. Plus if you run around with shotgun out it shows people that you aren't a spy.

Pyro also moves fairly quickly and can take some damage.

Still, I always get this feeling that there are more useful classes to play. Demo is better at holding people back. Soldier is better at spamming a cap point. Scout scattergun is weaker but the speed and agility makes it more effective. Pyro just feels like the class that's "alright" but not best at anything.

Also most people are such terrible pyros I cringe when I see more than one person using one on a server. Yeah, you run after that scout with the flamethrower dude... you'll get him someday.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Pyro has been buffed and demo nerfed a bit.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    demo nerfed how?
  • NeoShroomish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pyro is pretty useless tbh, it's like a short ranged, weak heavy. They're not fast enough to be useful for anything.

e/ oh sweet, they did beef up the pyro, going to see if I can finally get 5 in 30 laugh.gif

Changes/Additions
    Added option to change Field-of-view, between 75 & 90, from the Options->Multiplayer tab
    Added option to disable Player sprays
    Increased flamethrower damage at point black range
    Demoman grenades (not stickybombs) no longer explode on contact after the first bounce
    Bug fixes
    Fixed flamethrower hit detection
    Fixed a startup crash
    Fixed a case where players could get stuck in tc_hydro
    Fixed player movement prediction errors
    Fixed third-person sniper aim animation not matching player's view exactly
    Fixed achievements and stats being awarded when watching other player's demos
    Fixed rare server crash due to data corruption in networking
    Fixed a case where some sounds had incorrect volumes
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    orange box contents are downloading now! Im really looking forward to playing TF2 with you guys. I never played TF1 but everyone who has experienced TF2 says such good things that I decided last night it was time to give in to the lure of the large orange advertising on steam. Wierd buying HL2 again tho.
  • Cubik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cubik polycounter lvl 18
    Pyros should be played as the ambush class.
    OR
    Pyro + medic on a group of enemies that don't have any support (turrets, spys, medics) are invincible.

FF on makes the medics useless, I love playing as a medic bunnyhopping around my teammates desperatly trying to keep everyone alive at once.

Are there a list anywhere with all the polycounters ingame nicknames?
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cubic, just join this community: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/polycountpublic

Most polycount members that are playing are in it.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    unless they gave everyone a "check" ability to spot spies. like if you focus on them for a couple of seconds it tells you they are spys

[/ QUOTE ]They've got that. If you hold your aim on a spy he'll come up with your own name.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Only if they were assigned your name when they diguised.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm really getting a kick out of this game with my Bios working. Again, I had only had that one day 3/hr time period before the fateful error to even begin to experience the game.

The pyro works great defending points on tight areas like small rooms and such. They suck though around water areas because the enemy can jump in and take a swim.

The Doctor is sometimes good for detecting spies. Because your constantly moving around to not get hit, you are seeing all the other players in the area. And can see backstabs where other members are too busy fighting forward.

Is the default FOV 90? I'm trying to get a FOV that would be more in align with a widescreen.
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I read in one of the updates they made a change to allow you to set the FOV to 75 or 90.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    so heres a question. What possible use could be gotten from the spy ability to disguise yourself as any class of your own team.

I guess I could see a herd of spies disguised as their teams heavys scaring the crap out of the other team as they all cloak in unison. That would be kinda scary. Useless, but scary.

So, any ideas?
  • NeoShroomish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you ever need to be healed, go heavy and then call for a medic.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    so heres a question. What possible use could be gotten from the spy ability to disguise yourself as any class of your own team.

So, any ideas?

[/ QUOTE ]

So you mean instead of disguising as a enemy, you disguise yourself as a teammate? Won't that on TK enabled servers allow for mistaken killings as your teammates think your a enemy spy?

Is there any advanced options for voice bandwidth or something? I'm trying to clean up my communication. I got a new mic that I hacked together from a decent quality telephone headset. I still am being told it sounds rough even though when I test locally is sounds fine.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    If they are on your team, don't they still just see the spy with a medic mask on?
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]If you ever need to be healed and you're not playing a heavy, go look for a medkit because you're not likely to get any attention from a medic, even if you chase him around shouting and slapping him with your shovel.
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    Is it possible to get player models in the game?
    Im thinking about a mod that replaces all characters with cartoon animals, like the the heavy is a bear, scout a rabbit, enginer a beaver. crazy.gif
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its built on Source. I'd say it'll be more than likely very easy to do whatever modifications you want.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]If you ever need to be healed and you're not playing a heavy, go look for a medkit because you're not likely to get any attention from a medic, even if you chase him around shouting and slapping him with your shovel.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoever does that is a bad Medic, healing injured teammates is the best way to build up ubercharge.
  • NeoShroomish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chances are the heavy is constantly being damaged anyway, so it doesn't really matter to the medic.

@Jack - That's true, but usually valve will block customization of player models to avoid exploitation, maybe that won't be such a big deal with a game this fast.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Is it possible to get player models in the game?
    Im thinking about a mod that replaces all characters with cartoon animals, like the the heavy is a bear, scout a rabbit, enginer a beaver. crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You could release it as a mod though? Zoo Fortress 2!
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I think the community needs to make some maps where rocket and sticky bomb jumping actually lets you get on top of things that arent blocked off by blocking volumes. Half the places dont even really matter. They just block them off to be annoying.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    Finally got my mits on this over the weekend, and it's fantastic. They did a supreme job of polishing this. And not just graphics. The different types of maps are very nice, though I already want more of them. I also love that they kept a lot of the old sounds. It certainly doesn't FEEL like beta, as in, I have yet to see any big bugs. (ok, I do fall through the world when I die sometimes. . . )

The voice overs are great, and I enjoy playing every class (even if I'm not so good with some of them) They all feel fun to play.

As for why a spy might dress up like his own team. . . I find that if I'm running out to a control point or whatever, with a bunch of teamies, and I'm dressed either as a spy, or as someone on the other team, the other team tracks me and I'm dead quickly. If I disguise myself as my own team's Engineer say, and run with the group, I don't attract a lot of attention, then once I'm out on the battlefield, I find a good corner to hide and change to the other team.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that's what invisibility is for, sneak into the other team's area, find a hiding spot, and uncloak as one of their guys.

Oh yeah, did they tweak the Pyro or are people just getting better at playing them? I've been on some servers with the Pyro completely dominating everyone.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    invisibility helps, but people can still spot you a lot of the time.
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    People need to rebind their key that calls for a medic. I get tired (as a medic) of running after someone who is mashing the SHIT out of that "MEDIC!" button and get there to find out the person is either a) not even moving or b) has completely full health or worse, both. If you don't need a medic, don't call for one! SHEESH! ;D
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    [ QUOTE ]

You could release it as a mod though? Zoo Fortress 2!

[/ QUOTE ]
    I hope so, but its called Team Zoo! :P

I think the Pyro is overpowered know, and with a medic its pure hell!
    I managed it once to fully surprise the enemyteam at the start of the round. A medic was healing me and i was running straight to the enemy base and killed nearly all of them. We won in 1 minute. smile.gif
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Re. Pyro's, taken from Steam News page as of 9/28:

"Fixed flamethrower hit detection

Increased flamethrower damage at point blank range"
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    People need to rebind their key that calls for a medic. I get tired (as a medic) of running after someone who is mashing the SHIT out of that "MEDIC!" button and get there to find out the person is either a) not even moving or b) has completely full health or worse, both. If you don't need a medic, don't call for one! SHEESH! ;D

[/ QUOTE ]
    Or they suck and they want you to follow them around as they pretend to be a heavy scout. I wish if you muted someone their medic exclamation wouldn't appear. Or you could auto reply with set comment "press F10 for Immediatemedical attention". OR they could build in a "cry wolf" option that takes health off the spammer if they are at full health.

I find myself being more useful as a background healer than tagging along with any one heavy. Unless that heavy realizes that you can run faster with the shotty out or his dukes up. Nothing worse than standing behind a slow moving heavy for 5min only to see him get sniped the second he steps into combat. I can heal any splash damage in the time it takes you to pull out the shotty or the Gatling. Just hustle up and get your droopy drawers to the front lines ASAP...
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    The spin up time on the gatling alone is enough reason to run with the shotgun out as a heavy. Not to mention saving ammo for the real hot spots.