Home General Discussion

Team-Fortress 2 demo this week?

Replies

• ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Best looking FPS I've ever ever ever seen, and lots of fun. I just scratched a few others off my "to play" list. The rendering, animations, the menus, the sounds...everything is beautiful, exciting, and well made.

Thank you Valve. Thank you.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    yeah, SICK looking game, it's just gorgous.. I'm running it at 1024x768 instead of 1240 (it only got around 25fps) it's smooth as silk and I see no jaggies or anything - it looks beautiful.

It's fun as hell too.

OMG SPY!
  • Matabus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matabus polycounter lvl 19
    Yeah I just played for an hour over my lunch break and I'm gonna have to join the fan boy parade here in saying that it is absolutely beautiful and equally as fun. The scout really is one of the best classes in the CTF games as he can dart around and grab the intelligence and be out super-quick. It's also great fun bashing people's heads in with that bat and watching them explode into gibs. The spy is also a bad ass. I got 3 back-stabs in a row on unsuspecting snipers and it was glorious. Everyone should give this game a shot.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    thats not true oxy. It got released before midnight (pacific time).

They didn't say you'd be able to DL it in time to play on monday.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Starting Monday, September 17, those who pre-purchase The Orange Box via Steam can download and activate the beta release of Team Fortress 2 (TF2). This year's most anticipated online action game, TF2 delivers new game types, a signature art style powered by Valve's next generation animation technology, persistent player statistics, and more

[/ QUOTE ]

(bold mine)

When I left at 12:30AM Pacific it was still not activated in the sense of actually getting into the game (which would pretty much throw out the argument of being "beta"). Im sure we could get into the lawyer talk of what defines "activation". But in short, they made a sale based on a implied written statement. Its called customer service... you know that thing they do when they screw up?

Yep, I'm gonna be anal. smile.gif

250px-ScroogeMcDuck.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahahaha... And I'm sure your studio has a history of hitting every deadline with 100% accuracy, and I'm definitely sure they would never have any kind of problems launching a ridiculously anticipated game through a method of digital distribution.
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    I haven't had this much fun or been this excited about a FPS since QuakeWorld. It's pretty hard to top the first 3d FPS that started it all for me as far as online play goes, but this just might do it.
  • nacire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nacire polycounter lvl 17
    I have a 2.6GHz Pentium 4, 1 gig of Ram and an ATI 9800 Pro. Should I go for the PC version? If so what will give me the most bang for the buck in terms of hardware upgrades? I was thinking processor, but I'm not too sure.
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
    Amazingly fun game, each class has their own advantages and disadvantages (Pyro seems to be the only one that totaly sucks) Runs extremly well too.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    awwww, so pyro sucks???
  • skrubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skrubbles polycounter lvl 18
    The game is great!! Like Pyro said, every class has their advantages and disadvantages. With so many classes I was afraid there would only be a few good ones and some very unbalanced ones, but I've had fun playing all of them... yes, even the pyro! I actually think the most kills I've had in a round has been with the pyro, so tongue.gif
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
    I like the Pyro...but the rage on the flame thrower needs to be upped. You have to get so close to damage people and it takes a long time to kill them =(

I'm in love with the Enginer and Spy.
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    Stuck at uni until 9:30 tonight. How cruel. My laptop is over the minimum specs though, so hopefully... hopefully... although it takes forever to download.
  • skrubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, the range kinda sucks. I still need to play around with the engineer more... and I must be stupid because I can't figure out to jump with my rocket launcher for the soldier... I just end up giving myself damage.

I must say, for a beta this game is great. Seriously, don't know why they have the 'beta' tag on it because it's running flawlessly for me. I have my settings up all the way and my framerate is great. I'm really liking this game a lot more then I thought I would.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    I have my settings up all the way and my framerate is great

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't seem to use AA, though. I have it running maxed at 1680x1050 silky smooth at 60fps+ - but as soon as I put even a weak 2xAA, it drops to 20-30fps. That's not cool. Maybe some shader+AA error with my 8800 card. frown.gif
    I only messed with it for about 20 minutes this morning, so I'll tweak with it tonight (while I download the Crysis beta) laugh.gif
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    skrubbles, just saw you playing! I was watching one of the guys at work playing and wow that looks very sexy! I might just have to buy that for the 360...
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Thegodzero,

Playing Team-Fortress 2 on the xbox360 will be like having sexy with 3 condoms on.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    Playing Team-Fortress 2 on the xbox360 will be like having sexy with 3 condoms on

[/ QUOTE ]

hahahahahahahahahahahah
  • cursedDice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Playing Team-Fortress 2 on the xbox360 will be like having sexy with 3 condoms on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol. That is priceless, and so true. laugh.gif
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    mine keeps crashing after about 15 minutes of play like a CD skips only most of the time it doesn't fix itself..

the computer gets really loud too but I thought that sounded normal when i played pc games.. any idea if it could be a video card issue? the game looks and plays smooth as silk but the crash is occasional (about 3 times now) but there's no artifacting like my previous card

Oh Nos! http://www.brentladue.com/images/tedums.jpg
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Your computer gets louder cause your fans are working at higher rpms, because your cpu and video card and working harder than usual, because youre playing a gfx intensive game.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    yeah, would that stall it though? the sound just repeats like a scratched cd and it freezes. just did it again too. I turned the settings down... ugh.

i'm gonna try turning it down some more and if I still have the problem them I am a sad panda. Gosh I want a new computer hehe

This game is SO fun!
  • skrubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    skrubbles, just saw you playing! I was watching one of the guys at work playing and wow that looks very sexy! I might just have to buy that for the 360...

[/ QUOTE ]

YAY! I'm being watched! I have a stalker!! Damn I'm cool lol. I don't know how cool this game would be on the 360 though (for me anyway).
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    Im having the same problems as bounchfx...

once there were no action and a medic came around the corner and my computer froze dead...

This game is sexy and unbelievably funny, I have had such nice team work experiences already

the sounds and voices are spot on, the pyro guy sounds like kenny from southpark when he wants something smile.gif

need new computer...

is anyone else noticing big differences on models (lod) when you come a certain distance away from and close to them? the colors change on pyros tube on a segment. and many other things like this. however I only saw that in the documentary game, in the multiplayer mayhem i havent noticed this. :P
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    yeah, would that stall it though? the sound just repeats like a scratched cd and it freezes. just did it again too. I turned the settings down... ugh.

i'm gonna try turning it down some more and if I still have the problem them I am a sad panda. Gosh I want a new computer hehe

This game is SO fun!

[/ QUOTE ]

Your computer could stall (if this is your comp, not the game crashing) because it overheats because your fans aren't good enough. Or it could also be because your powersupply doesnt have enough juice to run when all your parts are maxing out.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    bah, went a little longer that time it seemed.. was doing AWESOME as demoman/medic too. like I said I see no artifacts, this time I tried to ctrl alt delete and it said task manager could not initiate.. but i did kinda see my desktop.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Its fun. But its like I said before, its really not a full title game. More like a Serious Sam without the single player. I really cant see the game being worth more than $25.

I am basing this on the beta though, so the final may be a bit more resolved and worth the full $30.

The pyro fire splash damage should do more IMO. Also kinda sucks when I try to rocket jump to roofs, but they are walled off invisibly. Breaks the engagement a little.

I hope they add more taunt animations or choices. After the first 5 minutes, each characters sayings get old.

Surprised at the low FPS given the cartoon look. Maybe its because of higher polycounts and hdl (it does have hdl?)?

Speaking of low, does anyone know how to set a custom resolution with a config file? I need to drop down closer to a 1024 size versus the only widescreen option for my ratio (1620X1050). So I can make a lower resolution near 1024 in my ratio to choose. Might help improve my fun since the game will be a little less jerky.

Now, I am tired, and been up 24hrs with work and such, so I may be just exhausted more than anything. I do like it, I guess though the previews made me think it was going to have more jokes and/or physics traps. In short, more silly randomness. The train kills are hilarious though. However, it cant hold my attention span as long as I would have thought given the ravings thus far.

So I have my flame retarded vest on, so you can attack what I said if you like. I will be back on later to play after a nap and some work on my model if you want to take it out on me in game.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Surprised at the low FPS given the cartoon look. Maybe its because of higher polycounts and hdl (it does have hdl?)?

[/ QUOTE ]I'm not sure if its baked in or if they are doing it real time but according to the tech demo video, they do many rendering passes on the characters to get that cartoon look.

I think its real time, so that could account for a bit of slow down here and there on some systems.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Wahaaaay, just played for a few hours.

Much fun, even though I was playing with strangers (...err...) and we weren't really communicating.

Medic is actually quite a bit of fun, and also nice that when you are healing someone that gets a kill, you get credit too, I managed to get a domination while healing hehe.

Most fun bit so far was when it went to sudden death, I was a medic and was following a soldier and healing him, it ended up being the two of us against several of their team, including a heavy. I kept him alive and he took most out, went around the corner and the heavy was left (right infront of him), popped on invulnerability and ping, we win smile.gif

Also lots of nice touches, like if you see a friendly spy in disguise as an enemy, you see him as normal but with a cardboard cutout over his face (attached with a strap around his head) with a picture of the class he's disguised as.

Different taunt animation for each weapon

Game on full graphic settings is peachy indeedy.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    GREAT GAME!
    Played for a while last night. I had it pre-loaded last week, but it still spent a good hour or so "updating", so I managed to squeeze in dinner while I was waiting.
    My housemate could only watch me play for all 5 minutes before he had to buy it himself.
    It ran silky smooth with all settings maxed out, 2xAA, window mode @ 1680x1050 with a second display as well. I never had any crashing issues, though my housemate had it crash on his machine once or twice.
    The characters look great and the texture work on the environment is really stylized and they blend really well. Every character is really unique and they all have their roles and if you don't use them properly you end up getting owned.
    Currently the Soldier is my favourite class because of the rocket launcher. Just doing rocket jumps onto ledges to take shortcuts is sweet as!
    Already hanging to get home after sketch group and have another session tonight.
    bearkub, like I already told you in #model_design, mad props for sorting out a PC dedicated server. YOU DA MAN!

-caseyjones
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    I'm having the same problem bounchfx. I think it's a memory leak issue, since my card runs the game smoothly, and i turn the FX down to be safe. I play the game with the task manager on my second screen just to be safe. That way I don't have to restart the PC each time.

On a side note, stop calling this a cartoon! It's stylized, but not a cartoon! Someone at work even called it cell-shaded, and I wanted to punch him.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    [ QUOTE ]
    I'm having the same problem bounchfx. I think it's a memory leak issue, since my card runs the game smoothly, and i turn the FX down to be safe. I play the game with the task manager on my second screen just to be safe. That way I don't have to restart the PC each time.

On a side note, stop calling this a cartoon! It's stylized, but not a cartoon! Someone at work even called it cell-shaded, and I wanted to punch him.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, I agree.. especially since it keeps crashing at around the same time, and it's kinda regardless what settings I have it on.. I hope they fix this.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Hey guys, I had the exact same problem and came across a fix*

Open Steam
    Right Click on Team Fortress 2
    Properties
    Set launch options...
    Add this: "-w (width) -h (height)"

No quotes or () wink.gif

Within those brackets, make it the pixel dimension you want to force the game to play at

NOTE: I read that for those of us having that problem, the dimensions you force the game to run at should be the same resolution your desktop is or this won't work. I did that, and I just played for a long time. Longer than anything I was able to do before without crashing.

*It's been successful for me so far.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    any mac users here running this on parallels? I want to play, but not sure about forking out for it if it's gonna run like molasses.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawken, is that one of the Intel based Macs with a windows partition? I cant see any issue since your running at hardware level versus through an emulation layer.

?
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    AdamBrome ur fix seems so far to make it run more smooth on my computer :P
    Just tried it in the morning, maybe il play longer later today thank you very much!
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    This is the best game to play a medic in ever created.

I finally managed to get the crashes under control (don't use high sound settings, don't use AA) so I can play full matches now. Or rather, I can win full matches by being medics because medics are AWESOME.

Oh medics, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways:
    1) Healing other people also heals yourself.
    2) You get credit for the kills your partner gets.
    3) Ubercharge.
    4) You can heal through the corners of walls.
    5) The melee weapon is actually easy to get kills with.
    6) You can buff teammate to 150% health.
    7) Rapidly buffing all your teammates at the start lets you build up ubercharge super-fast.
    8) You don't need to look in the direction of your partner to heal them, so you can look wherever you need too!
    9) The "Medic!" arrow icons work really well.
    10) Medic + Heavy = Death + Mayhem.
    11) Medics move pretty fast.
    12) Stupid people don't figure out that shooting medics is a good idea.
    13) Sudden Death is best avoided by Prolonged Life

yay

Oh, and did anyone else notice achievements are built into the PC version? God I love this game. <3 Valve BFF xoxoxoxo
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    "Stupid people don't figure out that shooting medics is a good idea."

What? smile.gif
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    Hawken, is that one of the Intel based Macs with a windows partition? I cant see any issue since your running at hardware level versus through an emulation layer.

?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well it would be hard to find a mac without intel these days smile.gif

I used to have bootcamp running but I got rid of it. Now I run windows ontop of macos via parallels. Actually max keeps up if I have nothing else open. Hardware wise I should have no problems: 2GHz intel core duo, 1 gb ram, ATI Radeon X1600 128 MB
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Just played for about 4 hours straight. Im so in love.

Pyro certainly isn't great as a whole, but if you camp the right places with him, then hes deadly.

Engineer is tight simply because of sentry guns which i always LOVE in any game.

I suck at spy, and spies rarely kill me. Not that great imo

Heavy sucks unless you've got a medic with you.

Scout is kickass. So fast hes really fucking hard to hit. Metal bat == win!

medic is tight if you've got a heavy with you. Ubercharge helped out once or twice.

Soldier racks up the most kills for me. I own.

Demo man is decent but Im not all that good with him. You can launch a shitload of stickies a long ass distance if you hold the button down. Good for long range traps in sniper hideouts.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Based on Bromes, but with a bit more needed. People with widescreens can run in lower correct aspect ratios. Good since only the latest and greatest video cards can run in the native widescreen resolution without drops in frames per second. You also do not need to have your desktop set to the same ratio.

Divide your current ratio by 1.5 and 2

Mine is 1680X1050
    SO I got:
    1120X700
    840X525

Now, this is with the Nvidia console. I would think ATI would have something similar. Use the advanced mode and go to custom resolutions.

nvidia_advanced.png

Make a new ratio with the new ones listed above. Now! You must open the advanced portion and change the lower part to match the same pixel (front end parameters). If you don't, the test will fail. After they test ok, check the allow modes not displayed by display.

nvidia_advanced_resolution.png

After successfully adding these close the nvidia and display tab. Then reopen the display tab to verify the new custom resolution has been added. IT MUST EXIST HERE. Otherwise TF wont recognize the width or height.

desktop_display.png

Finally, as per Brome, the startup options. The last two are to ignore the startup videos (doesn't seem to work), and to increase how much ram the TF2 uses. I have 1 gig, so I gave it 756. As I said earlier, you do not have to have the same resolution on your desktop for this to work (at least for me).

startup_options.png

All and all you guys are now offline after I got this all figured out and tried to help bounchfx (half of his problem seems to be he's got a Dell ;P )..

..This sucks. frown.gif
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    The Polycount TF2 server LIVES!! laugh.gif
    You can find the server in the server list under "Polycount TF2" or if you need, the ip address is 69.12.92.118:27015.

I will be setting up rcon for some people and remote control as the day goes on. Enjoy!
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    sweet. I'll be on it tomorrow.

As a side note: to all you medics. Stop healing spies who are trying to stay concealed and sap the enemies sentries of doooom.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TF2Avatar.jpg
    I'm in love all over again.
    I liked it when I was gibbed, it took the time to point out my liver and spleen, thats attention to detail right there heh. So far I like most of the classes but I'm starting to like the engineer the most.

I did have two minor issues which I am able to get around.

Issue 1:
    I run a dual monitor setup and if I'm in a menu and accidentally scroll over to the second monitor TF2 will minimize/maximize (changing screen res each time) in a loop until it either crashes, my monitors explode, or I restart.

Work Around(s):
    - Run in SLI, my FPS go thru the roof, but requires a restart and I can only use one monitor.
    - Run in a window. FPS takes a hit, and its easy to click outside the game window.
    - NEVER touch the second monitor after launching TF2, I still get great FPS so this is my first option.

Issue 2:
    The first time I was playing it would crash when certain sounds played, like the metal bat hit sound. Yes the first time I died I was hit so hard I fell off the server...

Work Around(s):
    - Updated video and sound drivers.
    - I blame my crappy AC 97' sound chip, for some reason I haven't bought a decent sound card and I'm using on board sound, I'll keep using it till it doesn't work...
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    The Polycount TF2 server LIVES!! laugh.gif
    You can find the server in the server list under "Polycount TF2" or if you need, the ip address is 69.12.92.118:27015.

I will be setting up rcon for some people and remote control as the day goes on. Enjoy!

[/ QUOTE ]
    YEah! That was fast.

I find the server but says its not responding...
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    Well, NORMALLY, I would be able to check it from work through a non-restricted connection that I have, unfortunately, that connection is down today (of course...) so it will have to wait until the connection is repaired or I can get home to check on it.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Latest ATI Omega drivers seem to keep the correct aspect ratio, I updated last night and I get black bars on the sides instead of a stretched picture. Computer still overheats and crashes.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, running at 1920x1080 on my 2 year old laptop made it blue screen after a few minutes of play. hehe. Ran fine up till then.

And medics do much love, yes?
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    you guys are making me want this game badly...
  • Matabus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matabus polycounter lvl 19
    I am becoming REDICULOUS with the spy.

1. Disquise as an engineer
    2. Run into the enemies base through any backway you can find
    3. If people start to look suspicious of you, look down like you are about to construct something like a turret.
    4. Zap any turrets near you or else they will shoot at you the second you stab that engineer you have your eye on.
    5. Sneak behind someone and stab them through their face.
    6. Cloak.
    7. Hide and disquise again.
    8. Repeat.

Ungh.
    Last night on the pcount server I killed 30 people with nothing but my butterfly knife alone in a single round. They are especially deadly during sudden death.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    is this in store shelves ? i havent seen it yet, or is it buyable thru steam only ?
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    its in demo stage only.
    the full game is coming only in october i believe.