Team-Fortress 2 demo this week?

Replies

• KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    and I plan on gifting it to a friend once he gets his new computer. smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Kind of a waste though, having those games and not having somebody to give them to. Everyone I know with STEAM already has them. frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't... although I have played through HL2 (I played it when my brother bought it), but I've yet to play Ep1. What about people you know who don't have STEAM? It's not like it's a major hassle to download, register and install.
  • Uly
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    not as good as the others, but still awesome.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I thought it was great. smile.gif
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    my favorite so far.

I'm pre-ordered and ready to go. My steam name is the same as here.

edit: this peggle extreme game that comes with the pre-order is kinda fun and addictive. the game has been modified with TF2 images for backgrounds.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Why'd you link the wussy version of it... come on, man... HD Engineer!
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    Man, I love these character trailers... I think it's one of the coolest ways to promote an upcoming game that I've ever seen. How many of these are there, anyway? So far I've only seen ones for the heavy-weapons guy, soldier and engineer. Are there anymore for the other classes yet?
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    Yeah, the trailers are incredible good, the animation must be a lot of work.

There are 3 character trailers yet, we have to wait for the other 6.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    I'm totally with you Vig, people here are getting BioShock syndrome. As soon as one person disagrees with the mob, they get lynched for having such unbelievable views.
    BUT YOU GET $80 OFF! WOOO! FREE GIFT FOR YOUR FRIEND! Well, when HL2 came out, I don't remember anyone running to EB to buy 2 copies of HL2 and gift it to their friend. So stop pretending like you're doing the world a favour by letting your friends play for "free", its not as if you're curing cancer or stopping world hunger!
    Sure the Orange Box is a great deal and you're saving such and such money... But I don't need to save that money because I've already spent it buying these games earlier!
    The second deal definitely does look more appealing, because I don't own those games and will probably look into that. But I won't be getting caught up in the hype of being able to play(test) the BETA on Monday... That's what the QA department is for!

-caseyjones
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    i dont get it. 3 games for 45$, thats Perfect for me. I dont give a shit if it comes with crap I have. Still is 3 games for 45$. Not like 80$. Sheez

WEIRD all thoses post for that!

in the end, TF2 THATS ALL WOOO WOO!
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    If anyone wants to give me a gift, feel free. I'll accept HL1 EP1 EP2, thanks. (opportunist sschite)
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    So stop pretending like you're doing the world a favour by letting your friends play for "free", its not as if you're curing cancer or stopping world hunger!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, I feel ripped because curing cancer was clearly in there promo material confused.gif
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    I'm totally with you Vig, people here are getting BioShock syndrome. As soon as one person disagrees with the mob, they get lynched for having such unbelievable views.
    BUT YOU GET $80 OFF! WOOO! FREE GIFT FOR YOUR FRIEND! Well, when HL2 came out, I don't remember anyone running to EB to buy 2 copies of HL2 and gift it to their friend. So stop pretending like you're doing the world a favour by letting your friends play for "free"

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh, I got a redundant copy of hl2 with my graphics card years ago and gave it away. I see this as being the same thing. Buy one product for a good price (45 dollars for the four games I don't own) and get to be a nice guy at the same time.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't get me wrong, I'd quite happily pass the second copy of HL2 to someone that doesn't have it. Its just that people are making it out to be some great feature that has sealed the deal for them to buy the Orange Box.
    $45 is a great deal in anyone's book for 5 great games (plus a 6th if you pre-purchase before official release). I'm quite happy paying that price and may end up pre-ordering it myself.
    Also, I could have sworn I read that curing cancer came with the Orange Box, Asmuel. It was in big bold text right where it said "SARCASM!".

-caseyjones
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    didn't much care for the soldier one.

engineer was great.

Although that is the only class I ever played with my clan. Lot's of lonely times with my sentry.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axle grease, a warm turret and Hawken, I'm doing the math and it comes up freaky every time =P
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    I kinda agree with Vig, it is a little underhanded. I can see though the benefit financially beyond making you purchase another license. The free gift versions will expand the user base and knowledge of the franchise.

If I decide to do it, would someone like those from me? (HL2 and EP1) for free? Snowfly? I only know two people I could give for Xmas, and one has no net access, and the other seems more into MMPOGs.

I just wish they would do a version with EP2, Portal, and TF2 for $40. I know its only $5, but still thats money in my pocket.

Just so I understand right, the pre-order discount is up to the games are released? If I purchase it say next week, I can still download the beta right away? I really don't care about a puzzle game I will never play for pre-ordering today.
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    You are really going to complain about $5? Seriously? That barely constitutes "money in my pocket". You can't even buy lunch for $5.

Valve could sell TF2 alone for $40 if they wanted. Warhawk is doing it. An extra $5 for 4 games is not a bad deal by any stretch of the imagination even if you don't need two of them.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its called being earnest... penny pinching, Scourge McDuck, poor white trash, not wanting to be a serf versus the master, whatever works for ya!

1983-mickey-greed-scrooge.jpg
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    You're Awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Fixed.
    Now I'm just being an asshole laugh.gif

-caseyjones
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Just let me buy TF2 for $25. Shoot, I might even consider getting Portal for $25 too. Making me re-purchase stuff I have, and stuff that I don't want just seems like an annoying waste to me.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Since simple math seems to upset so many of you, perhaps Valve should release ALL the games for free, and throw in a few pieces of candy, and a poop statue.
  • nacire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nacire polycounter lvl 17
    Man that engineer video was great. I can't wait for the others!
  • kinikuR6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just saw the engineer video also. That was amazing.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    My excitement meter is built EP2, TF2, then Portal - my happiness is 9,000 with this purchase.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm soooo wanting to pick this up, but there are already so many games I haven't finished!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BioShock will always be BioShock even 20 years from now. TF2 will be full of practiced vets by the time beta is over, heh. Best to get in on the "no one knows shit, lets all just mess around" time while it lasts.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    Just let me buy TF2 for $25. Shoot, I might even consider getting Portal for $25 too. Making me re-purchase stuff I have, and stuff that I don't want just seems like an annoying waste to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do not understand this mentality. It's already been said in here, but you're paying for 3 games and getting 2 for free. Think of it this way.

$45 for 3 games + 2 for free.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You're not actually getting two for free, if you choose not to install/activate/gift them. And it's still a good deal.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    For the $45 price-tag, they're free regardless of what you do with them. If you don't install or activate them, you still own them. But are getting them for free smile.gif
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Call me cheap, call me a stickler for details, but if I want only TF2, and it's advertised for $29.95 I should be able to pre-order/buy it for $29.95. Fine don't include a beta invite in the cheapo version, fine. But don't make the only way to get it (right now) as part of a bundle pack.

Why haven't they made that an option? Because they know people would go for only TF2 and ignore the other titles. Honestly how many people would buy the other titles even if they where heavily discounted, on their own? Or would people just buy TF2? So it comes down to do you want to buy it for 45 and get more junk you MIGHT play? Or would you rather pay the adversisted price of 29.95 and get what you want?

Like I said 2 times already if you where planning on getting the other titles and it looks like a good deal for you, go for it.

So far the only way to get it is to get it in a package, $45, $80 or $100. Maybe I should get the $100 because it comes with EVEN MORE titles I'm not really interested in or already own. I feel like a guy on a used car lot. Stop trying to sell me gold plated mud flaps and a disco ball to hang from the mirror. I don't care how much you can save me on the gold mud flap, its a feature I don't want and saving 5 bucks on something I don't want, is still wasting 15 to get the one thing I want.

If they want to sell TF2 at 45 bucks fine, its sad they can't come out and say it. But don't put a 29.95 price tag on it and stick it in a box full of fluff for 45.00. "your still getting it for 29.95, but you also get this poop statue, the milkmon2k and the set of rusty table knives! All for 45.00" "Oh sweet Jesus just what I needed, tetanus!"

What about people who want just another copy of TF2? I can almost talk myself into buying the bundle just to get in the beta. My wife is interested in playing so should I double down on the savings and get extra helpings of crap we don't want? $90 for two copies of TF2 or $60 for two copies of TF2. At this rate the stack of HL2 disc's will quickly over take the stack of AOL discs...

What about those of us who already bought a package the last time valve shipped a game and we have a HL2 gift sitting around doing nothing, should we really buy it again even if its heavily discounted?

Sigh... just sell it for whatever price and stop with the song and dance, used car salesmen, BS.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Something tells me you REALLY don't want to play Portal or Ep2.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    i dont really wanna play portal or ep 2...

just one thing i wants.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I want to play all three, but I don't want to have those "Free" games versus a more common sense price. If I had known this was going to happen, I would have never bought EP1 and waited. But no, I thought Valve would be cool and offer an option for people who have the original and EP1 already.

In other words, I spent an extra $20 for EP1. So please lets not get into this "free games" bit.

Anyhow, more than likely I will have to get this combo. So again, if anyone has not played ep1 or the original hl2, let me know through PM, and I will hook you up.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I sure as hell want Ep2 and Portal. So EAT IT laugh.gif
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Fortress forever is out, apparently, if anyone's been waiting for it: http://www.fortress-forever.com/

(semi off topic, but not worth a new thread)
  • aniceto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aniceto polycounter lvl 18
    I facial animation in tf2 is hot
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuckers, you made me spend $48. Im gonna take it out on your hides next week in the beta.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    oxy, they're still Free. The price of Portal, Epi1, and TF2 seperately purchases is more than double the $45 price tag. So for those 3 games alone you're saving 50%...

Think of it this way, if you ordered the OrangeBox on Steam and ONLY got TF2, Epi2, and Portal for $45, would you not care then? But because theres 2 other games in there, you're upset?

Silly man.
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    I figured this would happen, didnt buy episode 1 before so I really got 4 games I wanted, now If I can just find the option to give away halflife 2 that would be great! smile.gif

and peggle x is fun too.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    if i was valve i would just box and sell tf2 for 50 bucks, i'm sure everyone in here would still buy it if it was never advertised as 30
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    now If I can just find the option to give away halflife 2 that would be great! smile.gif

and peggle x is fun too.

[/ QUOTE ]

the gift option appears when the games are released.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The games for gift giving are already released. (I know what you mean Elysium, but that just BS from Valve).

No, I would have not payed $50 for TF2. After all its a very "closed" game. Somewhat like CS.

What gets me is what I heard originally that TF2 and Portal where supposed to come with EP2. It just that EP package would have cost a bit more. Not as is now with being sold separately, or together with making one pay extra for items unwanted.

Anyhow I will take out my angst on you bitches in the Beta.. TK for the win! wink.gif
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    my only real problem with the Orange Box is how shitty the cover looks. too much info, arranged poorly. it's a good thing i bought it on steam, where boxes are, like, so last-gen, man.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    shit, If valve charged $60 bucks for TF2, I dont think they'd have any problem selling it. smile.gif
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    broke down and bought it on PC, even though lately I've been :\ about my PC being able to play games and was looking forward to buy this on 360. Whatever, I'll get it used later.

Look forward to fraggin you all in TF2 monday! =)
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx, your first on my list for even mentioning you want to play it on a 360!
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Preordered last night, been playing peggle.

We need a PC server for TF2, quick snap.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    [ QUOTE ]
    bounchfx, your first on my list for even mentioning you want to play it on a 360!

[/ QUOTE ]

Bring. It. On. !.

smile.gif

I know I'll wind up getting it for 360 anyway. just to have it. it's such a great package.