Home General Discussion

Neverwinter Nights 2

Replies

• Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    that cloth normal map isnt that bad, the textures make it look like shit.
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    eld hehe, show us more shit=)
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    buy the game and see for yourself, it's like a pandoras box full of surprises wink.gif
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Hah, is this gonna be really uncomfortable when the original artist who made these assets chimes on in this thread or what? Oh well, hopefully they can learn from the experience smile.gif
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Learning the polycount way..
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    buying the game for the shear amount of bad art ? that's a fresh idea smile.gif
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    eld, agreed. Polycount way is brute but right.
    if someone from Obsidian(we did aw KoTOR2)looking that thread... we are opening those eyes.
  • r13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r13 founder
    Heya guys,

I have a small comment... posting the actual textures like this may upset the publisher and/or developer. I know that NWN1 was pretty mod friendly, so I don't expect them bring the hammer down, but there is a chance is they might. I'd suggest not posting ANY geometry for download for certain.

If the thread dissapears or is locked suddenly, then its because we got a request from them to shut it down.

In the meantime, please continue as normal. I don't want to squash the discussion.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Woah, all my fears about not being adequate enough to eventually get work in this industry are gone.

[/ QUOTE ]

hahahaha. Ditto.

I seriously don't get it. NWN was a pretty big title, was the budget so low that they couldn't afford decent artists?
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    Wow. The specular map is just noise with a blur filter. Why did they even bother?
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Jesus H Christ on a motorbike......

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to vote this as "Best Quote of the Thread" as well as "Quote Most Likely To Make Me Spray Soda and/or Beer Out My Nose"

Thank you, carry on.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    r13, haha, understandable.

One can see why the game is so demanding now and yet so ugly, has optimization even been on the checklist?, using more of the pixels, wasting less..

The ones that can actually lower the requirements for this game won't be working on the patches, quite sad smile.gif

And the community is screaming for it.
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    uhh yeah thats dds compression there alright... it really sucks especially with nice smooth organic looking stuff, makes it look like CAK... heh different engines use different compression though so some don't look so bad. eh, can't win em all.
  • McIlroy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McIlroy polycounter lvl 17
  • noritsune
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    noritsune polycounter lvl 17
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    what the fuck !??!
  • firestarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    firestarter polycounter lvl 18
    Hmmm, singling people out, isn`t nice or wise. Often you will find that companies are not prepared to pay for seasoned employees. This looks a case in point. Don`t single out individuals.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    True, lots of people are at a certain level, then they come here to learn.

I'm just shocked.

But it's sad to see such a promising gameseries go so sour.

Nwn2 is full of bad directions, it's not just the art.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    some images i googled. ( sorry ) i think there are some unbalanced stuff, since there are stuff that looks good, yet then appears something that looks like crap.

screenshot13.jpg

1--screenshot.jpg

nwn2_38.jpg

Neverwinter_Nights_2_35.jpg

3.jpg
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Mcilroy, your also pulling from art that is around 6 yrs old. I'm sure if we look at art that you have done 6 yrs ago, it wouldn't stand up to critisism on what todays tech should look like. I agree with firestarter on singling people out, critiquing is good and something that all artists should learn to take, but taking it to an attack is something no one should do.

Spark
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    I was wrong btw, there are no specmaps in the game, they have some kind of plasticwrapmap, so they can achieve some sort of plasticwrap effect on armours, but they don't give the specular effect you really need.
  • McIlroy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ever think of scaling or LINKING some of the images? I hate it when I have to scroll sideways to read threads, jeeze.

Its one thing to honestly and respectfully crit "people" when they come here and ask for it, but to drag up old images and attempt to drag someone thru the mud is bad form. I hope this isn't what polycount is becoming, an elitist group of down-lookers who think they know perfectly how to run every asspect of the industry. Chances are this guy could actually teach most of us a thing or three. As I'm sure we could help him to improve his art. This doesn't mean we need to start burning color wheels in his front yard...

I would rather see polycount focus on what other people do right and encourage them to change the things that don't look so hot. But not drag artists out like the elephant man, only to toss rocks at his bulbous head as if it was a pi
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    damn, how did you get so wise vig?
  • McIlroy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ehh maybe your right VIG . I guess I thought of it more along the lines of when people here have torn Uwe Boll a new ass . He isn't here to defend himself yet we don't seem to have a problem doing it . Maybe it's just a little to close to home because were all fellow game artists ? I'll be posting my work up soon enough and I expect full well to be ripped if my work calls for that . If I was an Art Director though i'd sure as hell hope my work was not sup-par even as far back as 6 years ago .
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    I hope this isn't what polycount is becoming, an elitist group of down-lookers who think they know perfectly how to run every asspect of the industry.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what polycount has always been, you just now realizied?
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Heh, thanks vig for backing me up on things. McIlroy, I wasn't attacking you, just defending the artist who I have personally worked for. Most of the industry will probably have art directors who are more management rather than art, meaning that they are more busy with directing, than doing art day to day, and are there for thier people skills which is very important to have on a team. So of course they will not be as strong as someone who lets say does art all hours of day, though I have had art directors who are awesome artists, but lacked in the management dept. Needless to say, I would rather have someone in management that is stronger in that dept, rather than art..but that is just me personally. Also I have met many that give great feedback, or have wonderfull ideas on how I can improve my art, where as they cannot even draw themselves out of a paper bag. Just some personal experience to let you know where I am coming from.

Spark
  • McIlroy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok that makes sense sorry if I offended you .
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I hope this isn't what polycount is becoming, an elitist group of down-lookers who think they know perfectly how to run every asspect of the industry.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what polycount has always been, you just now realizied?

[/ QUOTE ]

bahahahaha! so true, so true
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Elite bastards do point out bad things the best smile.gif
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Post deleted by Daz
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice one daz... it really is very very sad... i guess its a reminder that all the technical bells and wistles aren't going to be a selling point if the game runs like crap and looks horrible...

as a side note there was the art of gothic 3 book somewhere out there, i saw scans of a few pages of it and it looked pretty funny with some renders of fairly horrible looking zbrush heads... you should look that up smile.gif
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    rawk, drop some link please, i can't find it...
    ;D
  • Slum
  • McIlroy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Post deleted by Daz
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Post deleted by Tulkamir
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Alright, you win. Fuck it.
  • Zcubed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zcubed polycounter lvl 18
    What exactly did he win? You guys cover your tracks well. laugh.gif

I've been having a lot of fun with NWN2, but it certainly does have a number of flaws. The graphics/performance payoff is absolutely absurd. I've played much prettier games that didn't cause my computer to tank this frequently. It almost seems as if some areas are just poorly optimized, as I've had framerate drops in cramped caverns after running large, outdoor areas perfectly.

In terms of gameplay, there are really no surprises. It's a solid D&D RPG game: good dialogue, twenty sided dies, and a ton of cool spells. I certainly wouldn't put it on equal footing with masterpieces like Baldur's Gate or Planescape: Torment, but it's no slouch either.
  • McIlroy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Were all so sensitive we should hold hands and hug a tree smile.gif
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that was awesome! why the hell did you all delete ur posts? i thought this thread was for entertainment's sake...
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Were all so sensitive we should hold hands and hug a tree smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't sensitive people cut their wrists these days?

Ahh well, I'm always up for some kumbaya.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    I wish I could have seen it all. The last post I saw was the bashing of Gothic 3's ugly presentation. Oh well. I think since this is a community of 3d artists, predominantly game artists, it's only right that we criticize the hells out of this sorta stuff. It will help us sleep at night.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    I wish I could have seen it all. The last post I saw was the bashing of Gothic 3's ugly presentation. Oh well. I think since this is a community of 3d artists, predominantly game artists, it's only right that we criticize the hells out of this sorta stuff. It will help us sleep at night.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, anyone who wants anything different can stfu and head back to the cg**** sites where ass kissing and sugar coating are encouraged =D
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FUCK gimme mah malt liquor
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    Fuck the malt liquor, have some bourbon! It's better for you!

Yes...that's what this thread has turned into!

though to make it semi-constructive.
    It's rather sad that there are amateurs where who have better understandings of todays game technologies, than people who are in the industry.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    What the fuck is going on here? Knock off all that post-editing bullshit and say what you think. If any artist reads this thread and feels he's being dragged through the mud, here's a solution - get better. Seriously, I have no patience for this self-censorship crap. Any artist who is *getting paid* to make artwork had better be a harsher critic of his own work than anyone here.

NWN2's character art? It's shitty.
    Gothic3's character art? It's also shitty.

Yeah, there you go. Both titles feature what I feel is extremely amateurish work that has no business being in a major game release. I haven't seriously worked in game art for years and I could *still* do better normal maps than what NWN has been shipped with. If you can't create assets that at least surpass the quality of a typical mod, you need to work harder.

If someone has a problem with my opinion on this, that's great - feel free to rant. But be advised, no amount of soothed feelings or gentle encouragement are going to keep this artwork from sucking ass. I feel as bad about saying this as I do saying that grass is green.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    I'm going to have to agree to that, Less holding hands and saying "But your art looks great to me atleast!!", especially with commercial titles..

I'm paying for quality when I buy these games, and when I've payed tons of money on new gfx-hardware I want it to be used on awesome art, not "the latest bells and whistles" frown.gif

If I would I could stick to my blendercommunities and be praised all day and make shitty art in the end.

Let them be agonized, atleast then they'll either get better or leave the industry.

Ps. I was going to compare polycount to getting sodomized while having shakespeare read to you, over and over again, for the greater good, but that wouldn't explain it right.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    OK, just to be clear here, I did NOT edit my posts because I felt bad in any way shape or form about what I was saying. Tulkamir just made a reasonably valid point that I went off on one about the shiteness that is Gothic3 in a thread that was meant to be singing the praises of NWN2. I felt it was a good place to bring up the general crapness of Art quality in rpgs's 'cos quite honestly, it fascinates me. I'm making one, and I have no idea why they are so often so poor in quality Art wise. But with hindsight, it was probably insensitive to do it in someone elses thread, so I shall make a new one :-)

Tulk: no worries man, I understand that you dig NWN2. I thik those screenies you posted in all seriousness look pretty good. It's specifically the character Art in most rpg's that I take issue with.