Home General Discussion

Neverwinter Nights 2

PfhorRunner
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
PfhorRunner polycounter lvl 18
Just picked it up, fry's had it for 12 bucks off from the normal 50, and I just so happened to have enough in my pocket to pick it up. I don't know how many of you have or do play Neverwinter nights (original) but, after a lot of modding, there were some pretty good multiplayer servers.

Just another time waster I guess. Just finished installing, i'll write my opinions about it when i've played a bit...

Replies

• Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Not to be mean to anyone who worked on it, but it looks just like everquest 2.
  • seantree
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seantree polycounter lvl 18
    looks like fun. I may pick it up soon, but the only money i have right now goes to GOW. I could return Ultimate Alliance though. hrmmmm
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    i hope the story is better than the first.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    cool, let us know what system you've got and how it runs.. it looks a little vanilla flavoured, but I really enjoyed the first one so I'm interested
  • PfhorRunner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well with my
    AMD 64 4000+ 1mb L2 Cache
    2 gigs DDR PC3200 Corsair
    Geforce 6800 GT

I BARELY get 30 FPS with medium to low settings frown.gif.
    I'm a little disappointed, mainly because the graphics don't seem to be that outstanding. Don't get me wrong, they're great, and the faces/head models are really cool and animated well. It just seems like it's not really optimized very well, but there are cool lighting features.

I havn't played much into the story because I take a long time to create characters (Im picky). But from what it seems like so far, the early on tutorial, while skippable, still pretty short compared to the original. The controls are a bit different, mainly you used to be able to click anywhere on the model of the NPC to interact with it, and now you have to click the base...

There are a few glitches that need to be worked out, but nothing especially detrimental. The voice acting varies a lot, but on the whole is pretty good.

Summary: Good game so far, obviously early release, lots of new and improved changes from the original (yay for planet-Touched races! plus its using D&D 3.5 rules), need a pretty speedy computer (mainly graphics card, I think I would recommend at least a Geforce 7 series to be content), and generally fun! I think it's a good buy... But again, its an opinion.
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    DUDE! its out>?>?>?>?>? qwtf ~!!!!! gotta run to FRYS!!!

NOTE: stupid frys!
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    holy jesus fucking christ!!!!!!!

ok

pentium d 3.0
    geforce 7800gtx
    2gigs of ddr2 800 ram

So i start this up as usual u know crank up the resolution and all the settings, and guess what... in that starting tiny little room... i can BARELY move the damn camera... alright... so i set a few options down like set the resolution from 2560x1600 to 900x600 tun off all the filtering options to lowest, turn textures on medium, turn shadows off all the way, like literally there's no shadows, anyways i do this until the game looks BUTTTTTT UGLY fucking PSONE style... and i get... MAYBE 15fps MAYBE... what the fuck?

so yeah... hmmm

on top of that... i'm not even in the credits...

Seriously though... just looking at this game... i have no idea how this can run so bad... no really... there's absolutely nothing fancy going on whatsoever... ok it has normal maps... the polygon counts don't look that high at all, the textures don't seem to be that high res (i COULD BE WRONG) there are no fancy shaders AT ALL, it looks just like standard diffuse/normal/spec affair, nothing extraordinary Gears of War rain level type stuff... like seriously ... there's nothing super advanced going on on the screen and it runs like total crap... whats up with that?
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    There must be some major memory leaks in it.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    rawkstar i have the same issues on age of empires 3...and i have quad sli lol ! cant imagine what will happen with this game eheh...
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i remember there were a few slowdowns with oblivion when that came out, and alot of people complained... well thats nothing compared to this game... this game is absolutely unplayable with any settings on just about 95% of home computers in the United States... umm... how the FUCK do you miss that during testing?

question is... do i return this turd and claim my hard earned $50 bux back or throw this on the shelf somewhere and wait a few weeks for them to patch this? Its sad but i don't think i'm ever going to play this again... lol with FF12 out, gears of war coming next week and then eventually the wow expansion ... lol so sad. i think i'll stab myself in the eye before i buy another Obsidian game.
  • PfhorRunner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have you patched it yet? there's already a patch 101... check it out, it might fix that problem on your comp.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahh classic Atari move, release something that is obviously not ready. I did customer service/tech support for Atari for a long time, they ruined a bunch of games and franchises by doing this. Their attitude is "the dev's cut from the sales will fund the patches not us (Atari), if they want to ruin their good name by not supplying patches then they can do that. We'll get our cut because we only care about the first 2 weeks of sales, where customers blindly walk into their purchases"
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hehe nice... yeah umm patching was the FIRST thing i did hehe smile.gif regardless i'm just going to return the game
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    i mean even with a top of the line system you have crappy framerate ? even after patch ? man that REALLY sucks !
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eh yeah. just returned it and got gears of war with that $$$
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    hm I was kind of afraid this might be the case.. damnit
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChaosEidolon polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah...so someone explain to me...after watching Blizzard delay release dates over and over in the interest of releasing a solid product, and making WAY more of a killing than any of the other companies that put out half finished products....WHY do publishers still think that they'll make more money by giving gamers the finger and rushing the release?

It really gives me the impression that their philosophy is "fuck em, theyll buy the game anyway so who cares if its done?". Not impressed.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The problem is two fold.

1) Atari doesn't have the cash to extend development cycles on every game and lets face it every game comes in over budget and past deadline. Last time I checked Atari was in debt up past thier eyeballs and couldn't extend it if they wanted to. They are hanging on by threads and I honestly didn't expect them to make it this long.

2) Unrealistic projections as to when the game will actually be finished. Atari gets a date and sticks to it come hell or high water. When dealing with Atari it is best to pad your time or your extended development cycle comes on your time/dime and in the form of patches.
  • FunkaDelicDass
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FunkaDelicDass polycounter lvl 18
    Or maybe they just wanted to get it out before the WoW expansion so they could actually sell copies?

Anyways, that sucks about the performance. Even if the first one had a crappy story, I really like playing within 3rd edition rules.

Is it also true that there's no online multiplayer out of the box? I remember reading that it wouldn't ship with multiplayer because they wanted to concentrate on the single player game, and then release multiplayer as a patch later.
  • Graft
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's so true the game is so unoptimized that it's insane I haven't heard a single person not complain about its frame rate. But still the game is getting high ratings on Meta critic! How is it possible to give a game that is almost unplayable an average 84?!?
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Tons of rabid fans do that to ratings, This sort of remind me of what happened to bloodlines.
  • PfhorRunner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Funkadelicdass: There is multiplayer, just no separate modules from the single player campaign. That's kinda why they released the editor a month in advance- to get people started on it.

With the original neverwinter nights, multiplayer was just taken over by the community anyway, and its going to happen again, so I agree with their choice on to not make multiple separate modules and work on the other unattended to aspects of the game... except they forgot to make it play on a decent system.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It seems this is an rpg plague of late. Vampire:bloodlines, kotor2, and now this? With such open-ended games, it seems publishers don't get how much can go wrong, and they just force it out the door prematurely.
    I hope they patch this soon, as i'm really looking forward to playing this (but i'll hold off on buying untill i'll know beynnd a shadow of a doubt it'll run)
  • wille
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wille polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    It's so true the game is so unoptimized that it's insane I haven't heard a single person not complain about its frame rate. But still the game is getting high ratings on Meta critic! How is it possible to give a game that is almost unplayable an average 84?!?

[/ QUOTE ]

because its very unfair to judge a game based on framesrates, since frames differ from machine to machine.
    and "fans" always complain, thats why they invented the internet.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    But still, in another thread we are talking about ff12 which looks way better than this,..

I'd rather have a good looking game that runs well, than a game running slowly on "next gen features"

Anyway, have it here on the desk, will play when I get home.
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thing is there's no reason for it to be so slow. there was also absolutely no reason for it to be "next gen" obsidian is like over 50% ex black isle guys and they had some badass 2d artists i don't see why they didn't just do oldschool 3d with improved lighting, no one would have cared, and hell look at ff12 is looks fantastic. I personally do like gameplay over pretty pictures, but i mean it has to at least run reasonably well... the extreme lag thread on their forums has reached 21 pages of replies already lol within 1 day of the game being out, and thats only counting the people who bothered to register on the bioware forums... which really probably is like maybe what 20-30% of the people who bought it? Lol and the forum mods had to lock that thread and start another one so it wouldn't look so bad lol...

as a side note, bloodlines had bugs, but at least it ran... i didn't run into any showstoppers myself, it was an enjoyable game, nwn2 doesn't even run... some of these reviews have to start including that fact... i mean... i don't know how important that is to the gamers to know that the game won't even FUCKING RUN on your computer...
  • Frank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frank polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    It really gives me the impression that their philosophy is "fuck em, theyll buy the game anyway so who cares if its done?". Not impressed.

[/ QUOTE ]
    That is exactly Atari's philosophy. Also translated as 'we need money now.'

Frank the Avenger
  • PfhorRunner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, Rockstar, I'm sorry you couldn't put up with it for more than a couple minutes, but the game does run. Maybe you personally ran into some problems, but thats you personally. You mentioned that there were 20+ pages of EXTREME LAG on another forum, but thats just cause these people are used to games running at 100-200 FPS, they run into one that makes them turn down some settings, and they cry.

While it does seem like a lot needs to be patched, if you were really interested in the game in the first place, and if you're really interested in just the gameplay over the graphics, you'd turn down the settings so it looks like shit, but it'd still be good gameplay. Plus there seems to be this little thing that everyone who complains about the lag is forgetting, and that's the view distance slider. Default its set to max, but it's NWN! You don't need to see that far anyway! just a waste.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    One doesn't want stuff to look like shit, one wants it to look like the artists intended it to look like, and using overkill/barely noticable next-gen technology isn't helping. This is why I prefer lets say, wow, guild wars, and games like ff12, much last-gen love into art, and not even demanding.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    1. slow, quite slow..

2. nextgen?

nextgenlu6.jpg
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    eld, look like.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    wow nice diffuse map... That almost makes everquest 2 look good...
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    turning down normalmapping on terrain and all sort of water effects made it playable.

Things are "fine", but I'm not hooked yet. One funny detail is that I couldn't find the option for hiring a room in an inn, so I just made the 5-second rest infront of the innkeeper, yay.

Also, I bought a new armour, I look even uglier.

nextgen2qx4.jpg

PS. my dwarven buddy is the only thing that makes it all worth playing atm, he destroys everything he looks at, or looks at him.
  • noritsune
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    noritsune polycounter lvl 17
    that's really shameful. looks just awful.
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    that makes computer slow ? holy mother of caca !
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    My belief though is that with lots of communitywork and makeovers, aswell as patching and custom content, this game could shine.

It does at many occations have nice enviroments, and is fun to play at some points when the story or gameplay gets interesting, and when your eyes stops bleeding from the horrible characters.
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
    Tech aside, the graphics seems to have fallen into the trap the first one had. Since the game is a base for everyon'es world they could create, everything is generic looking to the Nth degree so it's flexible.

The sad thing is, I think it even looks worse than the previous one, it's that awful lack of definition and detail double marred by the fact that it is secretly hogging resources to produce just that.

A good mod is going to need even more custom art than usual. Some of those shots look like Second Life or something.
  • LordScottish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LordScottish polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

nextgenlu6.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

It's J Lo!
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    with L.E.D teeth!
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    i second the comment on first one looking better .. i also liked the definitive d&d art style in the interface which is nowhere to be seen in this one ....

in fact i think the other game had much more style than this one ...

Is this a different developer ?
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    yes, different, and total lack of the lovely 2d-art that was in all the old d&d games frown.gif, aswell as nwn, portraits and stuff.

I must say, I'm having fun with the editor, and good things can be done, with the right hands.

nextgen4zo8.jpg
  • Cybroxide
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cybroxide polycounter lvl 17
    Wow Im really sad...Now I have to go buy FF12 cause I just lost a bet.
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    first nwn ftw.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
  • obson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    obson polycounter lvl 17
    kinda disappointed in the look considering some of the cool concept art done for it
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, that concept art had some style.

I just canceled my preorder for it. I don't think I've ever done that for a game. Too bad.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    HOLY FUCK!

I was going to let this thread die a bit, but this HAD to be posted.

nextgen5qg8.jpg

nextgen6xu6.jpg
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    still looks better than oblivian characters!