Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Q4 Patriot

Replies

• Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I may suggest that you do the mech bits in a 3d program, and dont even bother with zbrushing them. you should get a much nicer normal, imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats what he is doing, read the posts man laugh.gif
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    ah, color me an idiot.
  • Steakhouse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steakhouse polycounter lvl 18
    I would love to see a crayola of that color.

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Yah, Kendo is right, the Zgrabber tool can be used to do that. I originally did it the other way around tho : ie assign a black to white gradient on the side of the mesh in max, printscreen, and use as an alpha in Zbrush. I guess it's a little less precise (8bit greyscale instead of 16bit if Zgrabbed inside Zbrush) but it does the trick, and you can edit the printscreen in photoshop which is always nice. But hey Kendo thanks to your post I now remember how to use Zgrab, I completely forgot about that laugh.gif

Did some more work on the techy bits. I plan to render different normalaps in order to composite them at will on the final texture.

pior_patriot_wip010.jpg

That detail pass was made with... Xrays! I used xray shots of computer parts and imported them as projected heightmaps to build up detail. That's a MS mouse on the shoulder blade laugh.gif I'm also using handmade alphas for that. This will go between/underneath the spine bones aso.

pior_patriot_wip012.jpg

An this is done with Meat's fan-favorite wire technique. Handy to build up armor plates fast. I will use that on the biceps, glasses, and maybe as a soft layer of tech under the skin.

Getting there!
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Stunning, love watching you work dude. cant wait to see the finished product!
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    sounds interesting this normalmapping "compositing" but i´m not sure if i like this "intelli stuff"

but want to see how this turns out smile.gif !!
  • oliver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oliver polycounter lvl 17
    Very well made and looks very interesting. smile.gif
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    this is cool to wathc.. you seem to have a lot of fun with it and i like that smile.gif

nj on the MS mouse lol! that stamp thing is cool. Its like the ultimate easter-egg function tongue.gif

"well Bob im glad you asked that question. Actually the internals of his mechanical arm is made by stamped pictures of dildos and penises"
  • nkoste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nkoste polycounter lvl 18
    Wow I'm so impressed with your work Pior! Every time it gets better.
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
    looks awesome Pior! For the spinal cord and tubes I think some greeble-like stuff would look cool on them. wink.gif
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    wow Pior, you never cease to impress me with the profressional way you approach your work! I think when you finish him, I might feel shamed enough to go back and remake a quake character like I planned.
    Good stuff!
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I can't wait to see how it all slots together!
  • fritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    i'm totally lost on how you are doing this and totally amazed at the same time. it's lookin' absolutely awesome pior. juat awesome!!!!!!
  • Downsizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Downsizer polycounter lvl 18
    I see a hard drive, an optical mouse, and...maybe and SD card and some sound/video card memory chips on a PCB. Amazing work.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update! Highpoly is done, yet I couldn't import my final Zbrushed one in max because of too high a polycount. I will most likely end up handpainting the normals to get a sharper results then.

pior_patriot_wip013a.jpg

pior_patriot_wip013b.jpg

Yay!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Wonderful! smile.gif

Edit: You could make a copy of your Zbrush tool, delete all of the lower subdivisions so that only the highest one remains, then turn on "Add" in the Import rollout of the Tool menu, and import your subdivided 3dsmax geometry... then you'll have a preview of the whole thing, and you can also use that with ZMapper to render a normalmap.
  • Cubik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cubik polycounter lvl 18
    You could try xNormal instead and import the next lower subd version into max for the low poly base. Just a thought, not sure how high xNormal poly-limit is compared to max.

The model is looking spetacular as usual. I have always loved your attention to proper hard edges your models' musculature.
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    Man that is looking awsome. I might have to install Quake 4 if a few of these models get finished.
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    those are some big 'ol cowboy boots smile.gif size 63?

looks kickass
  • oliver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oliver polycounter lvl 17
    Very cool stuff, especially on the arms smile.gif... (la transition pec-deltoides-biceps est vraiment bien)

One question: how many tris for the high model please ?
  • retleks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    retleks polycounter lvl 18
    why not just mask off peice by peice what you need and export little by little until you have the entire normal map? that way the only Photoshop clean up you would need to do is combining them all into one.
    That, or get XSI :P
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Killer as usual Pior, maybe Rockstar can help you with the best way to normal map to low poly? Doesn't he use that nvidia program for normal mapping?
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, the model is actually broken into pieces (head, torso, legs), my issue is that, when I import, say, the superhigh head or torso, Max will just crash when I try to convert to edit poly because of a lack of RAM laugh.gif That, and the resulting ASE are gonna be HUGE when loaded into Doom3 to run the renderbump commandline.

But yeah Retleks, I will definatly export little by little.

I am actually looking forward editing them in photoshop. You can get decent good handpainted effects that enhances the sharpness of the normalmap, to give it a kind of oldschool Q3 look... Crazy smudges work too :

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/pior_ubb/normalsmudge_001.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/pior_ubb/normalsmudge_002.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/pior_ubb/normalsmudge_003.gif
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    hehehe neat one piorou

you goddamn crazy tongue.gif love the last post tho smile.gif
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    just WOW... smile.gif Awesome work !
  • Slash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slash polycounter lvl 19
    This is looking sweet! good work!
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    lookin hot pior... hot hot hot

if you went to all the trouble of making a high poly for a normal map but can't bake it because it's too high poly to use in max, I suggest you try out zmapper. It's a normal map generation plugin for zbrush, and I've found it works far better than the normal mapping tools included with max or maya. There's a simple tutorial vid on the site which explains how it works... it's suuuper simple and the normal maps it generates tend to need far less cleanup than those made in max or maya (in my limited experience with all 3, that is)

hope this helps

regardless, this baby is gonna be COOKIN
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    wow, I was wonderin not long ago if you were ever gonna get that finished and after a while of not checkin, here you go impressin the hell outta everyone.
    Love the fleshy rott/scar details :]
  • lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lkraan polycounter lvl 18
    Damn, that looks cool Pior!
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Trying to be cool, baking normals...

pior_patriot_wip014.jpg
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    please dont go to low poly/low res frown.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    That looks absolutely awesome, Pior. Go as low poly and low res as you want laugh.gif
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    Trying to be cool...

[/ QUOTE ]

It'll never work, you're french! MUAAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Seriously buddy, this is looking great, finish finish! Don't let your and Virginie's romps to overturn cars and burn buildings distract your progress!

poop.gif
  • Ramucho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ramucho polycounter lvl 18
    looks hot pior!!

@poop: stfu! and YOU should get back to work, i'm still waiting for my delilah's vidtut update tongue.gif
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    I just noticed on the far right pic, there seems to be a seam going straight down the side of his head? Seems an odd place for a texture seam, so i doubt you have done it there (Unless your going the Quake 3 way, i.e. mirror the head UV's but give him a 100% UV'ed front face).
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    I think that's what he's doing, so that he could make the face a bit less symetrical, as far as the "lowpolyness" th point is to make it for quake 4 MP so too many polies won't work ( the game is already slow enough like this)

hawt stuff my piorou, as usual, really makes me want to give him a lill' arena friend.

[edit] oh yah and, of course, poop you're just jealous of our french coolness, so jealous that you need an european fix every 3 months. wink.gif we're so cool that we make you feel cool too.

now get your arse moved and make more coolness smile.gif
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Actually, theres a big lack of shadow in Quake 4 MP maps. In other words, the light count is down a lot, so having a 4-6k model wont hurt it at all. Its not like Doom 3 where you had your model cast 5-10 different shadows, they really optimized it.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Yep, there's a lot of ambient lighting in there. Often it's only one light source, sometimes even zero. They've also removed the IK systems Doom 3 had. On the other hand, they've upped the player limit considerably so the lower polycount is probably necessary. Well, ok, Quake 4 isn't the newest game anymore so most users can probably run slightly higher polycounts.
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irritant polycounter lvl 18
    Quake IV chokes badly once there are more than six or seven players in an open map like Longest Day, and that's my personal experience using an overclocked 256mb 6800gs. I generally get the max fps the game will allow up to about 4 players, but soon after that, each player added signifigantly hurts the framerate.

I'd say know your audience, which is people that want performance above all else, while still making the model look cool. I'd strongly suggest getting it as low poly as possible without looking too rough.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    The GS is a buget card, thats why dude. Its cheap for a reason. It scored so bad in some mags that they had to put a "N/A" onthe frame rate, even in games like NFS:MW.
  • LordScottish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LordScottish polycounter lvl 18
    I expected the world to implode once the word french and coolness are used in the same sentence, HAHAHAHhaa LEAD THE WEAY POOP

looks great pior!
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    Odium : that's not a reason not to be efficient..less is always best, and anyways, the model won't be seen very closely, the game is quite fast paced...unless for your own pleasure, why would you want to waste ressources ? especially when the model looks as good as this one ?
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha well my computer can barely launch Q4 -and so does my office machine since a Quadro is not really the best pick for gaming- hence I have no clue about these framerate issues guys laugh.gif

The complete model is around 3300 triangles, not too high not too low I guess wink.gif

Yet it is true that the multiplayer maps I have seen in Q4 are not extensively lit. I will mostly be following Doom3's specs for the texture, while still making a playable Q4 version. Also my previewer is to blame for the very apparent seams, it reads Max-style normals very well but doesn't blend seams nicely. I am currently rendering the Doom-style normals that should display perfectly ingame. Maybe laugh.gif

Anyways! Time to texture. I am using 2 512s for the realtime screenshots but my working maps are 2048s.

Normalmapped:
    pior_patriot_wip015.jpg

Wireframed:
    pior_patriot_wip016_3376.jpg
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks awesome.. c'est bien (if thats how you spell it smile.gif)

the hands do look a bit stumpy tho, is he wearing gloves?
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    That doesn't look so bad at all polycount wise so thats cool laugh.gif

Quake 4 kinda has a nice set for textures, it uses 4x 1024x1024 for the body, and 4x 512x512 for the head. Doom 3 used 4x 1024x512 for the body and 4x 256x256 for the head. The difference is quality is more than amazing, it got rid of doom 3's plastic look altogether.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    The difference is quality is more than amazing, it got rid of doom 3's plastic look altogether.

I think that was more because they figured out how to do specmaps right (and use color specmaps).
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    were the proportions changed or something? his hips look a little too wide to me now... might have just been the angle in earlier shots tho i dunno... Otherwise pretty damn cool
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Quake 4 kinda has a nice set for textures, it uses 4x 1024x1024 for the body, and 4x 512x512 for the head. Doom 3 used 4x 1024x512 for the body and 4x 256x256 for the head. The difference is quality is more than amazing, it got rid of doom 3's plastic look altogether.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is really a confusing statement, texture res has nothing to do with the "plasticy" look in d3, its the fact that glossiness has a set value with every material in d3(no varioation in specular cone = same highlights on every model just with different values. Again dosent even really have a lot to do with the actual maps themself, but the shader inherent to thier system), and the fact that they only actually use about 3 different unique shaders throughout the game. I wont even go into not having a shader set up to simulate skin. Really i dont notice that much of a difference between d3 and q4, both systems do a very poor job at simulating any surface other than metal or plastic with the standard shader.

[edit] Regarding actual usage of spec q4 did do a slightly better job with toning it down a little more, but really thats far from fixing the problem. They actually ended up muting the spec so much so that while it may look less "plasticy" it actually comes off as very flat, because theres no real spec going on.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Quite right EQ, it's just odium proving again that he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Lowpoly looks great, piorou wink.gif

Have you tried xNormal for viewing the normalmaps on the lowpoly? I can't remember if you tried it and it didn't work on your card, or not ... it hides normalmap seams REALLY well! smile.gif
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    Looking cool.
    But i dont really like how the mechanical bits on hes back look kinda detached, specially near the ass, but maybe it looks better when fully textured.