Home General Discussion

TES: Oblivion

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
It's finally arriving early next week, anyone picking it up? I nearly lost a whole summer to Morrowind so I'll certainly be in line. Most likely it'll be just like their other games, a mix of good and bad but ultimately incredibly engaging.

I'm sure I'll lose countless hours robbing people's houses. I just wonder if I'll still have the strange fixation of stealing lamps and candles like I did before. That was strange.

Replies

• acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    Definately. I've never gotten into The Elder Scrolls before, Morrowind thoroughly failing to capture my interest, but Oblivion looks like it will change that. Huge, pretty world, dynamic AI interaction, extensive character customization, tons of side-quests, persistent items, psuedo-action based combat... all looks nice to me. They say it'll have 200 hours of gameplay (if you complete every quest) which probably isn't too much of an exaggeration considering I'll definately play more than one character.

But I hope I'm not the only one who thinks the animation is piss poor. Everything floats along the ground. It looks really dumb to see a soldier all of a sudden slide backwards rapidly to dodge an attack.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    I hope you can install it without applying a patch.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    the animation does suck,.. another weak part is hair and faces, which, even though they are generated now, does suck a bit too. BUT, the enviroments are orgasmic and it'll be the best game ever.

I'm awaiting my copy which will arrive sadly late next week in europe.
  • neolith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neolith polycounter lvl 18
    Preordered the CE two weeks ago. Can't wait for it to arrive! smile.gif
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Naaahhh, I am waiting for Gothic3, which is going to be sooo much better tongue.gif
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    morrowind didn't interest me at all. but i must of been the 1% that didn't think it was outstanding. hehe. I'm looking forward to Oblivion, mainly to see the environments smile.gif
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    Hey nick.. didn't Greco from BGSU work on oblivion?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I loved Morrowind, I did the same as Neolith, I have the Collector's Edition on pre-order. If I enjoy and play Oblivion half as much as I did Morrowind, then it'll be money well spent.
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Hey nick.. didn't Greco from BGSU work on oblivion?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah he did Tom. Still at Bethesda and all. I'm looking forward to spotting his art.
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hollowmind polycounter lvl 18
    I just ordered a new mobo/cpu last night so that I could play Oblivion. Hell yeah I'm getting it when it's released.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    I didn't play the first one, but I am looking foward to this one, even though I don't think my comp can play it.
  • Malekyth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malekyth polycounter lvl 18
    Fuck yeah! I've been getting anxious about this one. A fella I worked with at Legend is there, and it's always cool to see your friends' art in action. Plus, WoW is getting sour and I need a *new addiction.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    I've got the CE on pre-order for my 360. Never played any of the previous Elder Scrolls titles, but the promo movies I've seen sold me on the game.
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I didn't play the first one, but I am looking foward to this one, even though I don't think my comp can play it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dont worry i didnt play Arena either but i loved both Daggerfall and Morrowind tongue.gif

And my new puter is mad.gif almost mad.gif complete.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    To be honest,to me the character art looks like shit. Really turned me off when I saw them.

The environments, however, look amazing - so on that note I'll be picking this one up.
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Morrowind was that way. Terrible character art and animations, but often times great looking environments. The lack of animation blending in this one though makes it look really dated anytime anything moves. There's a video of a Daedric guy whacking a knight with an axe that made me shudder.
    I'm sure though, just as I did before, I'll eventually look past these things. *crosses fingers*
  • Zcubed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zcubed polycounter lvl 18
    I'm not sure. I found Morrowind to be quite a mixed bag, doing some things very well and others quite poorly. The environments were my favorite part. Not just the foliage or architecture persay, but just the massive scale of the entire world. It felt really great to trek through a forest and arrive at a sprawling city; really epic stuff. The combat was pretty awful, though. I hear it's not much improved in this one. Still, I'll probably pick up this game just to appease the role-playing, fantasy loving side of me. Oh, and I need to test out the new rig. cool.gif
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Preordered. My life (or lack thereof) will cease to exist when this game is released. The only sunlight that will touch my pale, white skin will be that which shines through the window unto my floor.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    What are the system specs for this? Hey Nick, could out old Castaway Machines run this? I am very interested, especially if it allows custom content generation. My Friend Doug is even more interested.

Scott
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    From their site:

What are the PC system requirements?

Recommended:

* 3 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor
    * 1 GB System RAM
    * ATI X800 series, NVIDIA GeForce 6800 series, or higher video card

Minimum System Requirements: New!

* Windows XP, Windows 2000, Windows XP 64-bit
    * 512MB System RAM
    * 2 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor
    * 128MB Direct3D compatible video card
    * and DirectX 9.0 compatible driver;
    * 8x DVD-ROM drive
    * 4.6 GB free hard disk space
    * DirectX 9.0c (included)
    * DirectX 8.1 compatible sound card
    * Keyboard, Mouse

Supported Video Card Chipsets:

* ATI X1900 series
    * ATI X1800 series
    * ATI X1600 series
    * ATI X1300 series
    * ATI X850 series
    * ATI x800 series
    * ATI x700 series
    * ATI x600 series
    * ATI Radeon 9800 series
    * ATI Radeon 9700 series
    * ATI Radeon 9600 series
    * ATI Radeon 9500 series
    * NVIDIA GeForce 7800 series
    * NVIDIA GeForce 6800 series
    * NVIDIA GeForce 6600 series
    * NVIDIA GeForce 6200 series
    * NVIDIA GeForce FX series

I however would not trust this and go even a bit farther to run it with all the sparklies. I don't know what was under the hood of your Castaway box, sorry Scott. I recall some being faster than others.
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    Ordered the CE for this puppy. I played Arena, Daggerfall and Morrowind - so you could say I'm looking forward to it.. My DVD-ROM drive is only six speed though, slower than the minimum specs. I hope that's flexible - I don't mind waiting half an hour for it to install smile.gif
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Yowzers a min spec 2ghz cpu is pretty darn high in the grand scheme of things. I'm hoping I should be OK with a 2.8, 2 gig of ram and a 6800ultra? I've been looking forward to this one for some time.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    I've got 1.8GHz but AMD says it equals 3 GHz.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    Seeing it supports the FX series cards, I guess the gfx won't be as tortureful as it was hyped to be.
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Seeing it supports the FX series cards, I guess the gfx won't be as tortureful as it was hyped to be.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahahahahaaa, it may support them, but where does it say that its actually playable or pretty with one?

BTW according to some german mag you need 3.8ghz cpu, 1gig of ram and gf7800gtx to run it at 1280x1024 with everything maxed.
  • neolith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neolith polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Naaahhh, I am waiting for Gothic3, which is going to be sooo much better tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Nothing beats Gothic, not even TES. But it'll be months before G3 hits the shelves.
    And I'll be playing Oblivion until then. wink.gif
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    Just ordered the CE. I did a couple of statues of the gods for it so I am looking forward to seeing my work in game smile.gif
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    i made a few creatures for it, also a statue and a bunch of artifacts and miscelaneous stuff, pretty excited about seeing that stuff ingame.

poop, spark, renaud galand, and a few of the liquid guys also worked on it, it was pretty fun.
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fry's has it tomorrow by 4 pm for only 37 bucks. FYI
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Time's up! Should be in stores today, I can't wait.
  • Zcubed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    In my possession and installing now, w00t!
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    In my possession and installing now, w00t!

[/ QUOTE ]

Mmmmyyy prreeeciioouuus tongue.gif

Edit: no I didn't buy it... just commenting smile.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    damn you daz and your sneaky yankee ways
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    got mine too, installing now
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, it runs like absolute crap on my machine. I have a fairly decent computer that I built last year, and even on 1024 x 768 I get around 15 fps. Looks absolutly amazing tho.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Just got back from gamestop, picked up the reserved copy.
    Can't wait to play it, just gotta wait for my dad to quit playing the outfit.
    (he's attempting to get a medal)
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    stupid gogamer.com isn't shipping until tomorrow
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got mine, yahoo!
  • Downsizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Downsizer polycounter lvl 18
    I cant even run mine.

It crashes after the cell scene.
    It wont run at it's own reccomended settings.
    It looks terrible, reviewing the videos released, they removed object shadows COMPLETELY. Not just softshadows. Maybe it's a bug, but it looks like everything is just fullbright. Characters have shadows yeah but nothing else in teh environment or the walls themselves.
    Lipsynch is so off it's ridiculous and feels like a jap b-movie.

I'm not the only one having issues, in fact mine are pretty tame. Check thier forums. And min specs on the box, are completely wrong. I can barely stomach it on low setting at 20fps and i have a pretty normal rig. 6800 256 PCIE, P4 3.2ghz, 1gig [email="ddr2@533mhz"]ddr2@533mhz[/email], SATA HD.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah consider yourself warned by Downsizers post about the performance. Im on a 2.8ghz P4 with 2 gig of RAM, and a 6800 Ultra, and my performance is poor. I'm probably getting 15-20fps for the most part (much worse in outdoor areas) and to be *really* honest, i don't even think it looks that great at all. I certainly dont see where all that performance is going and yeah, it's a crying shame the stencil buffered shadows are gone. It looks very different from the media I saw online. Much more basic. And Im running on the highest setting. There's a lot of pretty messy Art, the auto face stuff is fairly heinous and the over bump mapping on everything distracting. This might be a case of the 360 version getting all the attention, since my pal who just got it for his is raving about the graphics to me on IM. I actually wish I'd waited on some reviews, but I'll try and persevere with it.
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    wasn't it a lot like this when morrowind came out? lots of bugs and performance issues wiiith nobody knowing where they went? it'll all be fixed up in about 56 patches if bethesda is going to be bethesda
  • Zcubed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The trick is to listen selectively; that way you never hear any bad news. crazy.gif

dazlovesit4lp.jpg

I hope things get cleared up by the time I bring the game home.
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    PC was certainly not the lead sku. PC cant run HDR and AA at the same time, but xbox360 can. I picked this up on xbox360.

-R
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    Anyone tried modding anything yet? I hadn't planned to get this game anytime soon because I was banned from their forum years ago and being a petty little man I now wish the company to fail at it's every endeavor. I'll wait until I see it in the bargain bin for seven bucks.
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
    I'm still trying to find a way to get into the files that hold all the textures. None of the old Elder Scroll 3 utilities work for Oblivion.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Striff: Oblivion didn't ship with an editor? frown.gif
  • Zcubed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not sure if it's what you're looking for, Mop, but I mentioned that Gamespot is hosting the Construction Set. Not having modded any of the Elder Scrolls games, I don't know if that's "the editor". blush.gif
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    got it, have to wait for new drivers I think. have it running smoothly with hdr on (still indoors). that's at 640x480 with a fair number of the settings turned up a little.

issue i'm having is massive amounts of tearing. playable for a little bit, but then the screen goes black except for the crosshair, and hud items. can still play and such, but without graphics it's useless.

I'm liking the graphics. I wish I had an xbox 360 with a nice hdtv. I'm not complaining about the game so far. issues look to be driver related for me.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    That looks like the one, ZCubed! Cool, thanks for the link. Odd that they didn't include it on the game release (unless they did and I don't know about it), since Morrowind shipped with it's construction set and reference libraries on a 2nd CD.