Home General Discussion

TES: Oblivion

Replies

• Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Wait, what happened to the thread about Oblivion?!
  • Downsizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Downsizer polycounter lvl 18
    well. oblivion led to problem, and problems led to bitching. i was just making a joke about my obvious negativity towards game titles.

my roomate showed me the endgame stuff in oblivion, and i wont ruin anything. But am i ever glad i got rid of it. I could'nt imagine the damage i would have done chucking my keyboard across the room for that lame garbage. it's one of those 'the journey was more important' things.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    'Tis!

I'll let you in on a secret: I never completed Morrowind.

I played that game for months. I uninstalled it, reinstalled it after a year because I missed playing it. I made loads of different character types and had fun with them all.
    Every time I started a new game and played through, I found out more and more about the world - cool stuff, hidden stuff, interesting stuff, historical stuff... there was just so much to do, it almost felt like a different game every time.

So yeah, actually, I think the main quest isn't what makes these games so good, it's the amount of depth EVERYWHERE ... I have a feeling I'll do with this game what I did with Morrowind - probably never complete it, maybe not even get close ... but I will enjoy running around the whole world with a succession of different characters, trying new things and finding new quests and locations.

Or maybe that's just me, I dunno smile.gif

Do you have to actually "complete" a game to feel you've got your money's worth? Me, I just enjoy the time I spend playing it.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    In the context of videogames, I've never really understood the complaint that the ending was disappointing. What *exactly* were you expecting? A robotic hand to come out and wank you off? What MoP said. Surely its the game experience that matters?
  • thnom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    haha daz, wank you off. LOL. Toss you off or give you a wank..
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
  • Downsizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A conclusion. Most video game endings leave too much open for sequals that never get created, or are just as equally open ended. Take Quake 4 for example, or Doom 3. Open endings, made no sense, answered nothing. Diablo 2, or Arcanum, psychonauts, phantasmagoria, plot twists and rewards for character choice and progress. Morrowind, being an epic RPG should'nt have this 'ending', it was far less than spectacular and highly dissapointing. I dont want to give it away, but things were reused, and the reward is *yawn*. I understand morrowind was like this as well, and I only recently completed that game, but felt morrowind had mroe to offer in the gameplay area than oblivion. I dont see the point of making a new character in oblivion, everything will be the same aside from combat. There are really NO choices in the game that affect anything on a larger scale than inside the quest. The story should also be handed over to a novel writer, as this one was rather old and busted.

I'm not looking for flash bang whizz things, modern game endings fall incredibly short of even mediocre. When you finish a game you should feel as if you accomplished something and followed the characters to the end. Oblivion does'nt really have anything like that, leaves me with a 'erm.. wha?' taste instead. personal opinion of course. but they should'nt advertise this as some epic RPG. It's an exploritive fantasy FPS. More akin to Diablo's hack and slash than RPG or social based games.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Ah, so If you're correcting my grammar thnom, I don't think you're considering regional differences there mate smile.gif To us southerners, 'wank you off' is perfectly acceptable slang smile.gif
  • Downsizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    *whack you off* is the american term :P
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    In the context of videogames, I've never really understood the complaint that the ending was disappointing. What *exactly* were you expecting? A robotic hand to come out and wank you off? What MoP said. Surely its the game experience that matters?

[/ QUOTE ]

true....but morrowind did have a damn sucky ending (you're not missing much Mop). It was the equivalent of the wolfenstein 3d stillframe of the guy 'jumping' his way to freedom...or a better comparison, it's like "Congrats you're teh winner! But your princess is in another castle!"

Games are about the experience, yeah, but you should expect something worth rememebering when you get to the end/climax/resolution.

I'm curious to see how oblivion's ending measures up...but I'm in no rush to get there. The world is fun enough to explore. smile.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Thnom, don't be a goon! I'm pretty sure Daz has a stronger grasp of the language than you do smile.gif
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    it's one of those 'the journey was more important' things.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't that the case with all video games?
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    I confess, I do like at least some kind of scripted sequence at games end. But I usually dont finish most games.
  • kite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    Some eastern style people, from another continent, tried to invade Tamriel somewhat in the past, thats where the eastern stuff comes from.

[/ QUOTE ]

aaaah that explains the kung fu friars and the little bit of tibet at the top of the map. That was a headscratcher, every game with an inventory needs to get katanas in there somehow, its law.

Gauss : yeah the obliv levels are very derivative, but i skipped ut2k4 and i'm quite liking them all the same, some look pretty spectacular. Shame about the tower interiors though, I don wan explore satans bottom no more.
  • Downsizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I guess I just enjoy a complete story. Gameplay is akin to the excitement of reading a book, or the mood it puts you in etc. The end of a book gives point the the time spent, as I would expect with any game of this genre. Games for gameplays sake in my head stick out as your DDR or arcade racing games.

What you basically have with oblivion is a sandbox with no story. Nothing you do or read makes any difference, and the end certainly is'nt fit enough a reward to validate reading all the story and doing all the quests. it would be one thing if the gameplay was fun, but it's MMO quality gameplay at best at best, fetch this kill this. No character interaction aside from some in the Dark Brotherhood quests.

The intro is the best example of the complete lack of story thought. Everything is thrown at you at once, and you pretty much experience everything there is to see in about 45 mins of the game. I hav'nt found anything new since leaving Kvatch, it is litterally all the same, like randomly generated dungeons. You have caves, and the elven ruins, forts, and oblivion. Thats pretty much it.

The intro looks like a fraps recording. They bought high visibility lisences, and voice actors, and did'nt really focus on what made TES the game it was to begin with. At least in Morrowind, regardless of the shitty ending, you felt driven. They affected your character so that he had to persue the quest, because the world was being affected by it, you were being hunted down. oblivion gates spring up everywhere and no one cares, they all go about in pretty towns feeding dogs and eating. Where is the scared townsfolk, the sense of doom?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Downsizer - less talk, more action! Get the Elder Scrolls Construction Set, and get to task fixing the scripting so that the townsfolk react correctly!
    I'm serious, I agree that often it feels wrong in that case, and I reckon if you feel so strongly about issues, you should get started on rectifying them instead of bitching smile.gif
  • Downsizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Again it's a reward vs effort game here. I don't get shit out of making a fix for it, and i don't have the time to build something selflessly for others to enjoy right now. Also I am very limited in what i can do. i can't change anims at all, nor can i import custom models, and i dont have time to get decent voice actors. The most you could do is change dialogue, and maybe introduce random monster spawns in towns being attacked, and have towns folk defend. But it will look pretty stupid, as pristine as most of the towns are, and as over powered as the gaurds are.

Bethsoft spent 4 years on this, and missed the boat on all the basic stuff. the lack of logic really throws you sometimes enough to not feel immersed at all.

I'd love to take a stab at a mod, but will not even bother trying until they release importers/exporters and turn object shadows back on. also free time to do this would be nice, but i dont model for a living so my time is very limitied.
  • nacire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nacire polycounter lvl 17
    Well if you're looking for a good ending, check out Shadow of the Colossus on PS2 if you haven't already.

-ps- Come on folks, it's "Beat you off!" If only all happy endings were happy endings!
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    You're all wrong, jerk you off is the correct way to say it. Whack off or whacking off is fine, but you wouldn't whack someone else off. Only jerk works in that context. laugh.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Downsizer: Possibly there's just a setting in the .ini you can change to turn object shadows back on. There's a LOT of settings in there that are worth tinkering with for improving the graphics. I've managed to get the Bloom effect looking fairly close to fake HDR.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I just supremely broke a light:

oblivion-broken.jpg
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    "..and then I went home, and had a cup of hot cocoa and put my feet up - as head of the Dark Brotherhood......Which was nice."

Home.jpg

This game is sooooo much fun.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    that does it...i hate you guys....ill have to spend savings on buying hardware cause i now really want to play this bad matahfackah !
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    pc or xb360? My PC is powerful enough to run it, but since im going to be buying a 360 soon, should I just get it on that. Thoughts on the 2 versions?
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    if you break a quest...you can fix it (via the console) in the PC version. in the 360 version you'll only have a broken character to deal with... and no solution.

and with bethesda games...broken quests are always a possibility.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Hey, I'm doing the vampire hunter quest in Skingrad (part of the mages guild quests) and I was wondering if there was any way to get rid of the vampire hunters without killing them. My character is a scoundrel but he's no murderer!

Oh yeah, I found that conjured zombies are a snipers best friend. I usually make sure to snipe from a tight hallway or tunnel so once my victim rushes me the zombie can tie him up or tie up a wizards conjured creature.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    7 hours later, OMG. I can see why everyone is raving about it!. The dorian money trick works great on the 360 laugh.gif

having never played elder scrolls franchise, does doing quest help you level, or is it only combat leveling. I have a rental with no manual frown.gif
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    quests tend to get you items or gold, and will put some reason behind the combat/stealing/magic. running around fighting mudcrabs with no reason why wont last very long.
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hollowmind polycounter lvl 18
    OMG is it really 2:40am already? wtf? I started playing Oblivion at 6:30pm...so tired....but....I must become the Arena Champion! I must!
  • Spoon_of_death
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon_of_death polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    The intro looks like a fraps recording. They bought high visibility lisences, and voice actors, and did'nt really focus on what made TES the game it was to begin with. At least in Morrowind, regardless of the shitty ending, you felt driven. They affected your character so that he had to persue the quest, because the world was being affected by it, you were being hunted down. oblivion gates spring up everywhere and no one cares, they all go about in pretty towns feeding dogs and eating. Where is the scared townsfolk, the sense of doom?

[/ QUOTE ] I also hate how I closed every fricking portal within three mile in Bruma and theyre still talking about 'good new from kvatch from a change, I heard they closed the obl portal' mad.gif
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    A robotic hand to come out and wank you off?

Ow, that sounds just all sorts of painful...

Scott
  • Malekyth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malekyth polycounter lvl 18
    Perhaps you've just had bad Robotic Hand Wank experiences, Scott! Personally, I swear by a good firm metallic tuggin'.
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I started a new character already. My first one got turned into a vampire. Now normally I would think that was fucking cool but I really didn't want to be a vampire so soon. I'm just starting in the game. My new toon is more bad ass anyway.

What's with the normal maps making the shadows look like ass on all the characters?
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Hey, I'm doing the vampire hunter quest in Skingrad (part of the mages guild quests) and I was wondering if there was any way to get rid of the vampire hunters without killing them. My character is a scoundrel but he's no murderer!

[/ QUOTE ]

Try and use rage/frenzy spells repeatedly on them, or "sneak" into their inventory and not steal anything to get caught and lower their friendliness... if they attack you first then the guards will come kill them for you.
  • Moz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moz polycounter lvl 18
    Whats this about a crappy ending?

I'm glad I didn't pick this up.

Nothing pisses me off more then a MOHAA ended (the end)

I still think one of the best endings ever is how Diablo 2 (without expanion) ended. Except twist endings only work if there are enough clues before hand that you feel like an idiot for not expecting it. Not a crappy silent hill (movie) style "fuck you" ending.
  • LordScottish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LordScottish polycounter lvl 18
  • SuperOstrich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperOstrich polycounter lvl 17
    Add me to the list of people sucked into the vortex of TES: Oblivion. I can't stop playing. 42 hours in, and I swear I don't feel like I've done very much. I've come across (without entering) so many dungeons, forts, gates, etc. that I feel like I've only completed about 10% of the game.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    if you tell the vamp hunters where the nest is, they go and attack them and will definately kick the bucket of their own accord
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Im pretty much over the whole 'sucked in' thing now. After completing the main quest and pretty much all of the side quests (most of which were not particularly challenging. Especially on the brain), I dont feel too compelled to go back and just raid dungeons. Really, to a certain extent If you've done one dungeon you've done 'em all and I'm not really finding much reason to play the game now. It's lonely in there. A co-op mod would be cool. Still, I got my moneys worth.
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    Meh, I realy didnt get into it,
    Got out of that prison, walk outside, went in a cave, close the game, and never opened it since. :| Realy not my kinda game. Did run well tho, for a Oily Plastic game I mean.
    Ultra high graphix set, No slow down, lag or weird stuff outside, Just not my kinda game. way too boring ! lol :|
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A co-op mod would be great. Trying to convince my bro to look into it but he's too lazy to learn network coding. pffft how hard could it be? ...
  • Downsizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Considering you wont have access to anything but scripts, near impossible. You would have to make a fake co-op. A 3rd party client that synched scripts. It would be a simple npc clone of the other person, no way to synch up kills or actions i'm sure, so it's pretty pointless to want it.
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Considering you wont have access to anything but scripts, near impossible. You would have to make a fake co-op. A 3rd party client that synched scripts. It would be a simple npc clone of the other person, no way to synch up kills or actions i'm sure, so it's pretty pointless to want it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Multi Theft Auto, need i say more?