Home General Discussion

dammit...i feel like shit :(

DeathTrip
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
DeathTrip polycounter lvl 18
So this is my last year in HS. I didnt want to attend graduation(just dont care for the event/dont want to be there) so I havent paid for it yet. Now my family members are asking me about graduation and whatnot. By now my mom knows that I havent paid for it and she is sad/pissed about this. I seriously hope that they're still taking in people's senior dues.

i feel like such a selfish POS mad.giffrown.gif

Replies

• Moz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moz polycounter lvl 18
    >_>

I am posting solely for the fact it took 30 seconds to load this page and I must get something about of my efforts.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    If you dont want to attend, then why cannot they respect your wishes?
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    There's that whole fact that his parents helped raise him till now, paying for all his earthly needs. His mother obviously sees this as an important thing for her son, and she has every right to be sad. It doesn't sound like she is making him, so she is respecting his wishes. You can't tell someone not to feel dissapointed about a choice you make.

Even if you don't feel like it now, go. When you grow up you can always look back on it, versus if you don't go, you might wish you had one day. It seems insignificant, but it's a fun event. Or it was for me anyway.
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sundance polycounter lvl 18
    i feel like shit too, cos i've got a stinking cold...
  • DeathTrip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Like PIMM said, my family has given me everything and I feel like crap about not being able to give them this moment/event that they have been looking foward too. I'll definately go if its still possible for me to attend.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I went ot university twice but didn't bother with the graduation either time. don't worry about it.
    but if it means a lot to your folks, you could just play along for their benefit. its only a couple of hours and you might get some free food/alcohol. (take a carrier bag)
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Even if you don't feel like it now, go. When you grow up you can always look back on it, versus if you don't go, you might wish you had one day.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or the latter. I was forced to go. 2 hours I wont get back.

Let me explain something about guilt. I went on a trip to England with my father even though I didn't want to, because of the guilt I would get. So I had an absolutely boring/horrible time, and the inlaws could tell. The trip was not fun. So in hindsight, I should have told my father as such instead of this crap about parents/respect (really gult trips). He would have had a better time, as I would have at home.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    oXY, I don't know that ever in my life have I encountered an individual more hellbent on swimming upstream than you.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Vermilion, I think you're right smile.gif
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks. You know that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside that your "accepting" of my opinion.

Im not really feeling that well mentally today, so I appreciate your childish jabs withheld for a day or two?
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    A trip to England sounds fun. Maybe it would have been fun if you weren't a shithead about it.

Deathtrip: it's the last graduation you'll ever attend until your children do the same. think about it. do whatever you can to attend. graduation is the only part of high school i care to remember.

On a side note: you have to pay to attend graduation? that's bullshit. and why haven't your parents been notified so they can pay? the school should collect enough money throughout the year to fund it themselves really.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It was for a funeral. Look before you leap Elysium.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Perhaps you should have said something earlier. Perhaps you should have said nothing at all. Big difference between a graduation and a funeral. Go lay down and cool off.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Perhaps I was giving an example from my experience, only to have you come along to tell me what I did was wrong.

Were you see graduation as celebration, I see it differently. I believe the original poster of this thread at some level sees graduating at the same level I did.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    The original poster of this thread hasn't graduated yet... it's a once-in-a-lifetime thing. If it's great, and you miss it, then you missed a great moment in your life. If it's not so great, and you attend it, other people will think better of you, and you'll feel a little down for maybe a couple of hours. What's to lose?
    I guess you're one of the people who doesn't try new things because you're sure you won't like it? Who knows how many opportunities you may have missed...
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the support there Mop, and the judgement call. Your a swell/understanding guy aintcha?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Actually, according to most people, I think I can safely say I am, yes. Why?
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Birds of a feather..
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    In order to keep this post short, lets just say I hated my highschool more than Mt. Vesuvius hated Pompei. I went to my graduation and loved it, I'm glad I went.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually I think that's a valid conclusion he has come to based on what you have shown of yourself and your personality on the board. One I'm inclined to agree with. I've met Mop in real life, and talk to him online extensively and he is a very understanding guy who never judges people. In fact he frequently has to tell me to be more understanding and less judgemental myself.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I say you are a nice guy MoP, and I think you nailed it perfectly in your last post.

If it sucks, you're only out a few hours. If it's good then you're NOT out the experiece. Like MoP said its a one chance thing. If for some reason later down the road you decide you wanted to go (when you didn't) I guess you could go buy a cap and parade around in your backyard and have your neighbors think your nuts. (It's ok they will think that anyway).

I felt the same way and I went, I ended up liking it. I did skip the parrent sponsored senior party/cruise around lake washington, because well being trapped on a boat with a bunch of people I wasn't really fond of, wasn't my idea of fun. Besides no booze what where we going to do? But for the ceremony itself I'm glad I went. I got my picture taken so I can prove to my future kids that someone somewhere was dumb enough to think I learned something in my 12 years in the puplic education system.
  • Moz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moz polycounter lvl 18
    DeathTrip: If you miss it, don't sweat it to much, but still try as best you can to attend since you only graduate from highschool once, and if you hated it what more fitting way to celebrate the escape from it.

Your parents invest decades in your development and you can't humour them with a freaking visit to england to attend a funeral? Oxy, there is a difference between having your own opinion and going against the grain. I do not have the maturity, wisedom, years or grace to be as delicate and patience as MoP so instead I give an honest shut the fuck up and eat your salad.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Perhaps I was giving an example from my experience.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's an example from my experience. Like I said, I graduated high school, and the graduation is really the only moment I care to remember. My family was supportive, and proud. Because of that one moment, proving I can finish what I start, they have been there for me when I need them or atleast a voice of encouragement.

I have a younger brother. He decided he didn't care for graduation. In fact, he didn't care to finish high school just because he didn't WANT to. I told him it was important to me if he did, he didn't care. He'd rather f*** his trashy girlfriend and do drugs. Some time later, my grandfather passed away (almost a year ago now). He thought the world of me for helping the future of the family stay on the right track. Everyone says I look just like him. I didn't want to attend the funeral because I would rather have remember our last moment together while he was alive, but I NEEDED to attend for my family. My brother decided he didn't WANT to attend the funeral, so he stayed home and did drugs with his friends.

Deathtrip realizes he shouldn't be so selfish, where as my brother is an irresponsible shithead. He's beginning to see his mistakes, and needs all the help he can get with his miserable life. My family would like to help him. But now, they just don't WANT to.

I didn't say you were wrong. Just saying life is what you make of it. As you age, you realize the importance of family. Point being, you've got nothing better to do, and it would mean a lot to someone other than yourself.

And MoP is a very nice guy. He's deleted a couple of my posts in the past. Good moderator!
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You realize your responses only further the birds of a feather? Lets cut to the chase people. Stop it. Accept me as I am and realize that I view things differently than yourselves. I am more easily offended, and I do wear my heart on my shoulder. Cmon, back in high school unless I am mistaken and you were a bunch of jocks or popular, you were the nerd/geeks ostracized. So what do you do now? Is this your revenge? To pick at the oddball and judge him? Do you realize how closed minded this makes you and repeats High School all over again? Don't you want to be better than that?

Poop you met me once. Did I offend? Not that I am aware of.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Cmon, back in high school unless I am mistaken and you were a bunch of jocks or popular, you were the nerd/geeks ostracized.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I was somewhere in the middle in high school. I had friends on both "sides" (if we're taking jock/nerd as extremes) and got along well with pretty much everyone. So yeah, you are mistaken.

Oxy, you've gotta realise that acceptance works both ways. It's very hard to get on with someone who picks an argument with EVERYONE. Seriously, in every thread I've seen you post in, you pounce on every single reply and tear it to pieces, even if they're agreeing with you. Your thought processes often seem to run in circles and wind up making no sense and confusing everyone. No doubt you would say otherwise, but I'm sure many others would agree with me here. You need to understand that you cannot make people "accept" you just because you tell them to. If you don't make an effort to be accepted, you will find it very difficult.
    I predict that currently you're gonna be thinking "Oh, so now they want me to CONFORM to their ideals, but I'm an individual with my own opinions and thoughts!" ... realise that you can do this without appearing to be an arrogant ass. Just because people think differently to you doesn't mean that they are wrong.

Anyway, this has derailed too far. ElysiumGX gives good advice from a knowledgeable standpoint. Make the most of opportunities, don't pass them up - also don't be afraid to make personal sacrifices to help others out or make others happier. After all, you never know what the future holds, and you don't want to be burning bridges you might need later on.
    I think there's some good advice for life there...
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What Mop said.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    It's very hard to get on with someone who picks an argument with EVERYONE. Seriously, in every thread I've seen you post in, you pounce on every single reply and tear it to pieces, even if they're agreeing with you.

[/ QUOTE ]

To clarify, this is exactly what my post was referring to. I don't object at all to oXY posting here or his having different opinions from the rest, but it's almost a running joke at this point - in any given thread, imagine the most contrary or the most antisocial reply possible and I swear it seems like oXY will write exactly that reply. It just seems to me an unnecessarily hard way to go through life, slamming your head through brick walls when you could simply walk around them.

To address the original topic, someone really clever once said "I do not regret the things I've done, I regret the things I didn't do." Looking back over my life, the majority of my regrets are also things I didn't do. Despite not knowing him personally, something I admire about Poop is that he appears to be living life to the fullest - he's not going to look back on his youth and regret having missed out on things he was too <whatever> to do at that time. If you go and it sucks, you regret two hours; if you skip it and it's great, you regret it the rest of your life.
  • Malekyth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malekyth polycounter lvl 18
    "I do not regret the things I've done, I regret the things I didn't do" is good advice (if you can concentrate on the spirit of it, and ignore the fact that choosing not to do something is something you did). Tend toward doing stuff when you get a chance to. I didn't want to go to my graduation either, and when I went, I had a horrible, awkward, lonely time. My family didn't notice though, they loved it and I'm glad I gave that moment to them.

You don't have to feel selfish. If it's past some deadline, make special arrangements for payment and go to your graduation. You may not be glad you did, but the people who want you to, will be.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    If you dont want to go, then don't. Explain this and why to your parents. Our parents raise us to be happy, successful people who are strong and capable of making our own decisions.

9 times out of 10, those decisions that we make will not be the ones our parents would make, thats how life works, we get older, we get out of touch and it can become harder to understand those younger than us.

Your parents love you though, and I expect they have had other times before this where they have had to just trust that you knew what you were doing because they sure didnt.

All that stuff being expressed here about 'it could be wonderful' is completly true. It could also be as awful as you fear and its your choice whether to follow your instincts or whether to trust in others.

The bottom line for me is that the society endorsed or popular waymarkers that most people go through and hold on to as key moments in life, are not required. We are each free to affix importance wherever we personally find it or seek it or remember it.

I avoided the Prom at my school. It was a new thing and purely instituted in a hopelessly infatuated with american culture sort of deal imo. It was going to be nothing other than a popularity contest for the usual haircut crew to vaccously self congratulate themselves for their ability to have rich parents, comfortable lives and a slick hairstyle.

As I saw it, it was just going to be the same pack of wankers hanging out that I wanted nothing to do with normally. So I didnt go and I've never thought about that again until this thread as I have felt not one iota of loss.

All those jerks are the ones that stuck around in my hometown, got married early, split up byt the time they were 25 and started chasing 16 yr olds whilst in search of their perceived lost youth and 'best days of their life' inbetween earning a living by working at daddies insurance firm or what not.

I bear in mind, my view is not the world.

The other side of the coin I am sure, is, that the prom was one of the most fabulous nights some people there ever had and they cherish the memory of night when all their friends were together and celebrating the ascension into the big wild world... or something.

Its all depends on your personal perspective. Perspective is something that is very intimate and it cannot really be understood or explained to others in a way they can comprehend beyond polite empathy.

So 'Do as though wilt shall be the whole of the law' smile.gif

Certainly, this has always been my take on things, whats important to me, is important to me.
  • DeathTrip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    If it's past some deadline, make special arrangements for payment and go to your graduation. You may not be glad you did, but the people who want you to, will be.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it turns out that its too late(i really hope it isnt) then my mother will go to the principal to see if it can be worked out. Graduation is on June 28th I think, so I think thats plenty of time to put in an order for another gown, i mean, it cant take long to slap one of those shitty gowns together.

Rorshach, I like i said, I personally dont care about the event but I now do want to go for my family members who are looking foward to it.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    I would probably do the same thing in your position.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    not to throw gas on a fire, but highschool is bullshit.
    it is a fucking SICK microcosm.

kids who get worked into a furver about highschool graduation are probably losers. the fact that you've attained this level of education almost means nothing in this day and age.. it's certainly not going to help you get a decent job. you'll probably have to do something else after highschool if you want to do something interesting with your life.

highschool sucked. when i was done with it, my life improved tenfold..

it's my personal opinion that highschool graduation means nothing. if anything it's an indication that you're saying goodbye to a sick, savage, unkind system.

if you've got some good friends that are going, however, you might as well go just for the fun. i dont see it as a big deal at all, but it's certainly an excuise to party with some of your friends smile.gif look at it as it is, nothing more, nothing less.

one more thing-- i think that how harsh things are depends on where you went to school. the highschool i went to was relitively mellow, but i still view it as sick for lots of reasons. the truith is, man, i doubt it'd be a terrible experience unless you alow it to be. if you go there just to chill out and hang out with friends, then it'll be fun.. also, please understand that this idea of who's popular and cool will soon change completely. the people who are in those positions in highschool are now at their life's peak. they will soon be the guys that are at the club every god damn day trying to re-create the glory days. they'll work as peppy waiters at earls or they'll be working at burger king. the fact that you have a brain and probably some depth of character sets you above the rest of the crowd, IF you don't start claiming that you're a victim..
  • Mojo2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mojo2k polycounter lvl 18
    i never graduated highschool, and my parrents while not happy about it understood my reasons for not doing it. and in the end i feel it was the right choice for me at the time.

but deathtrip, it is up to you to go or not, and if you do go on your parrents behalf, don't make it because of guilt, make it because you want them to be happy.

i don't like you much ox
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dukester polycounter lvl 18
    hmm, I dodn't go to my prom, the whole thing was a bunch of bullshit for the in crowd.

still, graduation is so damn painless, i'd been forced to do things I hated worse by my parents that they didn't even care about. going to graduation was a plus because they wanted me to and it probably ensured that I got my new car stereo smile.gif

everyone has to endure shit they don't want to endure growing up. it builds character! lol! that which does not kill you makes you stronger! wink.gif
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I believe graduating high school proves to the world you are capable of commiting to a task, and finishing what you started. I believe it is your doorway and opportunity to actually begin your life. It proves to your family that they haven't raised a quitter. I could care less what my grades were, and where those jocks and cheerleaders went with their parent's money. Prom was an opportunity to dress in the most ridiculous tuxedo I could find (along with matching tophat and cane), eat free food, and getting to party with some friends afterwards. Not to mention sneaking my gf off for some...anyway, I could careless about the dancing.

*Pisses on John's fire.*

Many places require a high school education or GED to continue with schooling. I've witnessed many individuals drop out of school with plans to get their GED instead, and they take their sweet ass time doing it. They could have gotten the diploma sooner, but they're slackers. And it's years before they attend a college course, if at all. Usually because they're too busy working.

This thread has brought out some that have had rough experiences in high school.
  • Sett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sett polycounter lvl 18
    Depending on the size of your town/city you will most likely never see any of those people again.

I can count on one hand the amount of persons that I've seen from HS on one hand.

(<- loves living in the big smoke smile.gif )

HS seems like a big thing but realy it's just a phase of many that you will pass through. You'll be a a different person in a different place with a different head. Wait a few year and repeat.
  • Paul Jaquays
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Jaquays polycounter lvl 18
    I'll jump in here as the parent of one kid who has graduated from high school and another who will graduate at the end of May. Deathtrip ... it sounds like your attitude has moved in a good direction. There are things we do in life for other people. Graduation, funerals, weddings ... they are most often put on for the people who love us.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elysium, was Mojo a slacker also then given your description? For he seems to disprove your stereotype.
  • JKim3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKim3 polycounter lvl 18
    It's foolish to finish something just because you started it. Things come up, perceptions and ideologies change, or goals in life come up.

Plus, under normal circumstances, it's no big feat to graduate from high school. From my experience, anyways.
  • Nakur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nakur polycounter lvl 18
    I didn't go to my high school graduation. Instead, I went to an anime convention for the weekend. I had a blast, and don't regret my decision at all ^_^
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Elysium, was Mojo he a slacker to then given your description? For he seems to disprove your stereotype.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't recall using the terms "all", or "everyone" in that statement. You think Mojo can't speak for himself on these forums? What are you trying to prove? If you're trying to manipulate people to be angry with me, you should know I can handle that task myself. My opinion is, if you graduated high school: congratulations, I hope you do well. If you don't: good luck, I hope you have a plan. The thread starter IS graduating, but was feeling bad about possibly not attending the ceremony. That discussion is over, so back off.
  • Malekyth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malekyth polycounter lvl 18
    I always feel a song in my heart -- a song of life, love, hope and freedom -- when the Polycount Leet bands together to brutally smack down one of its own. It brings a joyful tear to an old man's eye, so it does.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well lets see because your comment was a stereotype in the worse way. I mean if you want to take your idea to the extreme. People who graduate from college are even less slackers (and then masters, doctorate). But hell, don't know about you .... I knew plenty of "slackers" who graduated college.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can back oXY on that one - I'm a complete slacker and I have a master's degree. Sure, I spent ten years in college 'working' on my diplomas, but who's counting? smile.gif
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    Deathtrip: my youngest brother is at the same age, graduating from high school. Best of luck for doing what's best for your own situation.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    I'm a complete slacker and I have a master's degree.

[/ QUOTE ] No your not Verm. As it was I did have "slacker" in quotations. Meaning how little value I give to the label. wink.gif
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bah - even when I try to agree with you, you disagree with me! wink.gif
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    You realize your responses only further the birds of a feather? Lets cut to the chase people. Stop it. Accept me as I am and realize that I view things differently than yourselves. I am more easily offended, and I do wear my heart on my shoulder. Cmon, back in high school unless I am mistaken and you were a bunch of jocks or popular, you were the nerd/geeks ostracized. So what do you do now? Is this your revenge? To pick at the oddball and judge him? Do you realize how closed minded this makes you and repeats High School all over again? Don't you want to be better than that?

Poop you met me once. Did I offend? Not that I am aware of.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a pretty shitty argument. Everyone in school knew I was a nerd, and almost everyone loved me because I was who I was. You said earlier you lost 2 hours of your life. What, may I ask, is so important that you did in those 2 wasted hours?

I understand how you feel man, go to graduation, you'll be happy you did. Even by some crazy chance you don't enjoy it while you're there, you'll be glad after that you went.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    by the way, prom is teh pwn
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    by the way, prom is teh pwn

[/ QUOTE ]