Home Coding, Scripting, Shaders

Tech Artist - What are you working on: FOREVER Edition!

Replies

• Klunk
    Offline / Send Message
    Klunk interpolator
  • poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe high dynamic range
    Polyhertz stole the thunder there 😁

But

@pi3c3
    My hero! 
    I'd suggest making it scriptable if at all possible - recent versions of max don't seem to be crashy and shit when applying a modifier to multiple objects so I'd say the key to this thing's success is having a good enough featureset (or the ability to extend it myself ) to make me want to use it over the existing UV editor (being able to dock a sodding toolbar to it would be a good start) 

• pi3c3
    Offline / Send Message
    pi3c3 polycounter lvl 9
    poopipe said:
    Polyhertz stole the thunder there 😁

But

@pi3c3
    My hero! 
    I'd suggest making it scriptable if at all possible - recent versions of max don't seem to be crashy and shit when applying a modifier to multiple objects so I'd say the key to this thing's success is having a good enough featureset (or the ability to extend it myself ) to make me want to use it over the existing UV editor (being able to dock a sodding toolbar to it would be a good start) 

Thanks! :)

Actually it is also planned. Not just the current features, but a proper maxscript and c++ API. Similar to the polyop system, but it will be uvrop. :) The current system let's you dump a lot of data from the UVR and also let you to modify them. The plan is to create a fully scriptable system which is efficient to use. One of the main issues with polyop as well, that it's using BitArrays in most cases as interop objects which are extremely slow due to the massive amount of iterations. But there are a lot more things I'm planning to finish in the future. Currently I'm working on the UV Packer algorithm, which is actually the last and probably the most complicated part of the entire thing. If I finish with that, then I'll start writing the user interface which is a pretty quick and easy thing, compared to the rest of the system. :)
  • welbot
    Offline / Send Message
    welbot polycounter lvl 6
    lol just what we all need! more excuses to waste time in max!   =)
    Nice work though Sire! 
  • Klunk
    Offline / Send Message
    Klunk interpolator
    a scripted frond object prototype

too early for a crimbo tree ?

texture was grabbed of da web so not ideal ;) (thats my excuse)

• Klunk
    Offline / Send Message
    Klunk interpolator
    Updated the script, made it both "editable" as a cube or  a sphere and separated  segs and sides and added spherical mapping and negative s. Any way enjoy someone may find it useful/

• pi3c3
    Offline / Send Message
    pi3c3 polycounter lvl 9
    Woosh!

A quick update about the UV Packing algorithm I'm working on currently:

(which has a poly count independent performance, so it took 1 sec on a Single Thread  :3)

• malcolm
    Online / Send Message
    malcolm Polycount Sponsor
    @pi3c3 cool, I think the most requested feature for packing is being able to group UV shells as stacks that stay together and define a group of shells that stays together but doesn't stack. I got the UV shell grouping working in Maya using a hack in my UV tool, but I haven't found a way to group shells into their own containers that pack correctly.
  • pi3c3
    Offline / Send Message
    pi3c3 polycounter lvl 9
    malcolm said:
    @pi3c3 cool, I think the most requested feature for packing is being able to group UV shells as stacks that stay together and define a group of shells that stays together but doesn't stack. I got the UV shell grouping working in Maya using a hack in my UV tool, but I haven't found a way to group shells into their own containers that pack correctly.

I actually already have all the things to write a similar thing like the one you mentioned. Geo verts just have to reference the same tVerts to stack together similar shells. Also keeping together grouped clusters shoudn't be a problem either. My system is quite flexible to be honest. :)
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD polycounter
    One feature I'd like for lightmap UVs, be able to flag low priority UV islands that just fill any empty space left over. Nice for areas that should almost always be hidden.
  • malcolm
    Online / Send Message
    malcolm Polycount Sponsor
    @ZacD For low priority shells for lightmaps I turn off scaling and then scale those shells down layout so they stay smaller than the rest of the pack, this also means they usually fill in the wasted space. I developed a light mapping toolbox for Maya if you're interested you can see a video here