Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Abandoned Flooded Mall (V2) UE4

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Sinister Exaggerator polycounter lvl 10
Hello polycounters

This project is essentially a remake version of an old work in progress portfolio piece https://polycount.com/discussion/172443/abandoned-flooded-mall-ue4#latest I could not figure out how to complete it at the time. I feel it is an interesting concept and design so I'm remaking it. The project is based mainly on the design of the New Eden mall from Mirror's Edge after a post apocalyptic event, abandoned and decaying and flooded. Currently, I'm just about done with most of the blockout I'm happy with the lighting so far using baking using UE4 GPU lightmass baker.

I have also experimented with creating a water caustic effect from a youtube tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvG1O6zwBP8&list=PLfydejPAVmZfCmf-1vzdewtAbVXSQK176&index=3

Vegetation is place holder asset to be created later.

Anyway here's what I have so far any comments or constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated.

Lastest Update

Reference

Blockout

Food Court
Early Cinema Blockout (Still working out the design for this)

Asset Production

Replies

• rexo12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rexo12 interpolator
    I think this is a strong start. There is a strong sense of lighting and composition. It could do with a central element somewhere - is that what the cinema is meant to be?
  • Sinister Exaggerator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Rexo. The cinema is going to be the central element with a different design to the rest of the modular shop structures. Another consideration is I will create some kind of modern art statue or fountain to place in the middle like I had on the old version.

• Sinister Exaggerator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello, again Polycount here's an update on progress.

Since my last post, I have improved the blockout by adding some curved parts to make it less blocky. Created a  blockout design I'm happy with for the Cinema with the 'A' Framed Structure.
    Modelled and uv'd the Escalator, Handrails and Floor Tiles, Textures are still work in progress.