Home Coding, Scripting, Shaders

Tech Artist - What are you working on: FOREVER Edition!

Replies

• malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm Polycount Sponsor
    Wow, that's amazing, that would actually be really helpful.
  • poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe insane polycounter
    couldn't sleep so triangulation happened. I tried ear clipping but it's either unsuited for this sort of shape or I implemented it wrong. I fell back to using the triangle module for python  which is a binding to a 2d delauney implementation by Jonathan Richard Shewchuk.
    I'm not 100% happy with every choice it makes but it's pretty good considering it has no information fed into it beyond a list of points.

next job - spend 2 hours digging though the fbx SDK docs trying to work out how to flip those faces - you'll note everything has mirrored since last time...

• poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    and now it works mostly properly - everything points in the right direction etc. at least

It wont open the meshes in paint3d for some reason but I don't care yet - might be because im writing ASCII fbx out or possibly just some meta data I haven't bothered adding. They open in max so i assume they'll work in maya .

You can affect how dense the mesh is and affect how much padding is around the shapes but the difference is limited (57tris on the left to 88 on the far right)  since the outline generation is pretty minimalist and you can only pad as far as the texture lets you. 

It needs a UI so I'll give that a poke next.

• malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, that's cool. What did you write this in?
  • onionhead_o
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 13
    still mel with the mix of some nodes and deformers hacked together
  • malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow that's cool, I write all my stuff in mel, haven't learned any other languages yet.
  • malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
  • onionhead_o
    Offline / Send Message
    ah nice Klunk.The Quad sphere that i did used the polyPlatonic as base and the Sculpt deformer to keep it sphere.

I wish i could do half the stuff that you can Klunk, but in maya
  • Klunk
    Offline / Send Message
    Klunk interpolator
    Thanks, just  copied some code from here and applied it to max's box obj code, the tricky part/ painful bit is porting the sdk 0  based indexing to mxs 1 based indexing and not running out of the room screaming when everything is a spaghettified mess :D I'll get round to implementing a c++ version sometime.
  • onionhead_o
    Offline / Send Message
    ah i was referring to your other tools Klunk, but thanks for the link as well.
  • Klunk
    Offline / Send Message
    Klunk interpolator
    this is quite an interesting article on spheres with code.... (i implemented selective edge turning on my code before reading it) probably get around to implementing a variation on the "normalized" version sometime.

added the "normalized" as a bias on the original script also has the option of flipping the edge to improve edge flow in the sphere

• Klunk
    Offline / Send Message
    Klunk interpolator
    auto smooth spline for max, turns corner knots into  smooth or bezier knots

based on the in out vector angles, you can have balanced (equal length in out) and uniform (same length for all) options and a scaling factor. It was designed as a precursor for the resample plugin where the starting spline is made from mostly corner knots (it still worked but not if you want to maintain specific knots). So i'll be adding it to the resample upload (once i've fixed a couple of bugs in the resampler) 
  • Klunk
    Offline / Send Message
    Klunk interpolator
    this is a bit whacky, unintended single click bezier creation.... if you have the mod at the top of the stack then create the spline underneath in single click corner fashion....

dunno if it has much application but a bit of fun none the less ;D
  • Klunk
    Offline / Send Message
    Klunk interpolator
    I needed to port some shapes back in time to check some issues/bugs in my code in earlier versions of max, couldn't really find a good reliable method with the built in stuff so wrote a quick and dirty scripted xml shape exporter and importer with quite a neat file format if i do say so myself ;) ,  So it got me thinking, As we've been using photoshops ai exporter and max's ai import to transfer  shapes from photoshop to max for a while and it's never been ideal. So I wrote a really dirty javascript xml shape exporter  for photoshop. It was easier than i expected.

a ps shape

to a max shape....

• poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    I've had this in my head as a thought experiment for a while and decided to poke around at it today. 

Sooo.. this is a point cloud where the distritbution of detail is driven by what is effectively a curvature map (obviously the z is based off a standard displacement map) . I have all the information I need to generate a mesh already - just couldn't face the idea of arguing with the fbx SDK this evening. 

The point of the exercise is to generate more efficient meshes when using textures to displace geometry. This example has 2732 vertices and I think to get the same fidelity from a regular grid you'd need around 42000 (don't quote me on that yet)

I've used a fairly dumb poisson disc method to place the points so it's a little fragile and it's basically impossible to tell whether it's going to be really fast or really slow based on the parameters you feed it but there's enough there to make me think t's worth pursuing. 

• malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, that's cool.
  • Fansub
    Offline / Send Message
    Fansub sublime tool
    Thanks @malcolm ! :) looking at the graph, is it easy to see how the tool works? curious to know if some things don't click.
  • malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
    I can read most of it, I think. It's very tricky the graph goes right to left, that would be hard to get used to since all other graphs in most 3D apps go left to right.
  • Fansub
    Offline / Send Message
    Fansub sublime tool
    Yeah the arrows indicate the opposite direction, making the graph actually go left to right ^^' we have it on the todo list to flip them before Wednesday, so thanks for stressing this point even more!
  • malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh cool, so it's just a display bug, yeah it looks really neat that you have get and set material built into a node among other things, that's a lot of code to write to do it in Mel. Also the drag object along surface looks sweet, I haven't learned how to do that in Mel, I've heard you need to write that in the API to use that feature of Maya.
  • Fansub
    Offline / Send Message
    Fansub sublime tool
    man I can't believe I can finally say this but the beta is finally on :)  You can join the beta through discord right here:

• malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks cool, will definitely check this out.
  • Klunk
    Offline / Send Message
    Klunk interpolator
    small tool to merge normal maps (see the max composite blend mode above). There's an example of how to use it with a batch file and drag and drop (just edit the dir you put the exe in and you can drop the files to process on the bat file)